• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

Caring about IVs in this seems a bit excessive to me.

Yeah, it's a little ridiculous. There will never been turn based battling in this game so it'll always be who can tap/dodge fastest even if there is PvP.

Min/max is really all that's left though when you've reached Level 20 and exhausted your area of Pokemon.

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans.

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see URL here :

h2H6IJq.png

Uhh...they can see the url in the pic

Edit: nevermind it different

hirokazu

I mean play however you'd like, but waiting until Level 24 to use a Lucky Egg seems silly when you are given 4 of them to help you up to 20. If you are that hard core about getting to Level 30 or 40 you can just buy another one later for $0.99. If you enjoy the game that much you can support them with a hard earned buck.

The last thing you said is the most important. Honestly none of the leveling past 20 (or 19, or 18, or 17) matters so getting to 20 quickly is the most important thing which can be accomplished faster using Lucky Eggs as you get them (with some evolution stacking of course).

Edit: You aren't wrong, it's just that I find some people get so lost in min/maxing and worrying about if they are doing everything right and by the book they forget to just play and enjoy. The IV nonsense has just made it more exaggerated the last few days and I see people at Level 11 worrying about IV instead of just enjoying the game.
I don't even know what min/maxing means and I've never looked at IVs in detail. I've just been trying to catch them all and trying to cash out from gyms. :p I've never been into the hardcore breeding and EV maxing thing with regular Pokémon games. Too much effort for me, and same goes with this game.

I'd already gotten to about level 18 before I first heard suggestions to use Lucky Eggs with mass evolving. By that time my Pokémon storage was close to full, so I figured it'd be better to save them for when gen 2 releases so I could get the new Pokédex entry bonuses as well. I never factored in how much of a slog it is to level up in the 20s, so I decided to give it a go once I upgraded my Pokémon storage.

Today was probably the best day for catching pokemon!! people I have met told me I have to go to the "cove" out beach and check out the pokemon their and so so I did and man did I score!!!!

here was the spot I used:

CoV1Ho7WAAAxr05.jpg

caught:

Electabuzz
Squirtle
2 Cubones
Raichu
3 Meowths(now I can make a persian)
3 Ryhorns
Vulpix
4 Ponytas
3 Magnemites
charmander
Omastar
Voltorb
Bulbasaur

and then caught a Pikachu on my way back home

WHAT A FUCKING DAY!!!!

though Niantic had to shit on it by giving me a jynx from a 10km egg.....at least I have to more.....

GulAtiCa

Yeah, I don't actually put too much effort into IV stuff. I only use it as a comparison when looking at 2 similar in CP Pokemon to see which one in the long term would be better.

The whole QR thing they're doing with Magearna with the main games got me thinking; theoretically if they actually do implement GO connectivity with Sun and Moon, presumably the sme would generate a QR code for the Pokemon you could then scan to make it appear...right?

I'd wonder though if then that Pokemon is not available any more in Go then perhaps (maybe you get candies for it as if you were transferring it.

Any reason why it would say "user opted not to share location". I'm using chrome as well

The original reason was not being on an https domain - so check that its https
second reason is geo-location on the phone, permission for the browser, is off.
Another reason is the location accuracy is too low but it will display a different error for that.
You can get a second opinion on whether browser geo-location is working: https://esri.github.io/html5-geolocation-tool-js/

if the github link works, but the tool does not, then I'm not sure what the problem is it would take some debugging on your specific phone to find out the reason.

Pilgrimzero

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans.

h2H6IJq.png

Awesome! Thanks. Though it says Valor owns my local gym, where its actually Mystic.

Can't get it working on my Galaxy S7 and my location isn't working ondesktop, either. :( I might need to add it to a trusted site or something, but I can't figure out how to do that with Chrome.

EDIT: There we go, added https:// to url and it went right through wihout issues.

Thiswill be a godsend.

Fireblend

Banned

h2H6IJq.png

This works great on my PC but for some reason it doesn't work on Android. It just says "opted not to share location?" but I was never prompted for permission in the first place. It would be great if I could use it on the go. Great work nonetheless!

http://i.imgur.com/h2H6IJq.png[][/QUOTE]
This with the script is amazing. Thanks.

kierwynn

Had this little guy pop randomly in our backyard today.

There's a spot in the backyard that random rareish pokemon sometimes pop- I saw this guy on the scanner and told my husband and we immediately bolted out the door and found him in the usual spot. At 89 seen/89 caught now!

Very cool stuff, but what do the asterisks mean? It doesn't appear to be number of footsteps. Rarity maybe?

I am collecting stats on spawn frequency so they represent rarity.
I'll tune it after more data but its basically about right: no stars, 1 2 and 3 stars.

FZZ

Banned
Man this game is fucking unfair sometimes

All the rare pokemon spawn in the middle of fucking nowhere and by the time I get close enough they disappear

Was right by a venusaur and it was first on the list and everything but because it was higher up passed some random church, not even by the church I missed it

Has happened to me multiple times now, snorlax dipped a few days ago too

Durden77

I didn't realize how much the server issues bothered me until they really worked out the kinks a while back. With the game running so good, the fucked nearby list doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Amd when they fix it (which I'm starting to worry they never will at this point) this shit will be amazing

adamy

Banned
for those of you saying you don't get why some of us focus on IV so much...there really isn't much else to do at higher levels at this point

IMG_1866.png

IMG_1867.png

i've caught 2,109 pokemon and visited 2,638 stops

i have so many duplicates, so much candy, and more items than i would ever need

not really much else to do tbh other than focus on IVs. and fyi, IVs make a HUGE difference later on

my low IV pokemon aren't even remotely comparable to my high IV ones (currently only saving pokemon with +90% IV perfection and ideal move sets)

dmr87

I am collecting stats on spawn frequency so they represent rarity.
I'll tune it after more data but its basically about right: no stars, 1 2 and 3 stars.

Just want to say thank you for your work, providing me and my group with a ton of fun as we run around!

(I'm not sharing it with them, they keep an eye on PokeVision and I'm the guy with the "special" scanner. 😏)
We're all having a blast.

Lunar FC

for those of you saying you don't get why some of us focus on IV so much...there really isn't much else to do at higher levels at this point

i've caught 2,109 pokemon and visited 2,638 stops

i have so many duplicates, so much candy, and more items than i would ever need

not really much else to do tbh other than focus on IVs. and fyi, IVs make a HUGE difference later on

my low IV pokemon aren't even remotely comparable to my high IV ones (currently only saving pokemon with +90% IV perfection and ideal move sets)

Jesus fuck. I thought I played alot..

Maybe I've been out of the Pokemon lingo longer than I thought.

What is an "IV" and how is it involved in Go? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in the game.

ramyeon

Maybe I've been out of the Pokemon lingo longer than I thought.

What is an IV and how is it involved in Go? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in the game.
IVs are individual values that are generated by the game (Both the mainline Pokemon games and Go) when the Pokemon as encountered or hatched. It gets complicated but the simple way to look at them is like genetics and the Pokemon's potential to do well in each of the respective stats in the game. IVs, along with EVs (Effort Values), decide the stat and how much points go into each stat when levelling up.

In the mainline Pokemon meta it is essential to be IV min maxing and EV training in order to get the most out of your team's potential. This is why Pokemon breeding is such a big deal and Dittos with 3 or more perfect IVs are so sought after. In Pokemon Go... It seems pretty unnecessary.

IVs are individual values that are generated by the game (Both the mainline Pokemon games and Go) when the Pokemon as encountered or hatched. It gets complicated but the simple way to look at them is like genetics and the Pokemon's potential to do well in each of the respective stats in the game. IVs, along with EVs (Effort Values), decide the stat and how much points go into each stat when levelling up.
Okay, seems straightforward enough.

So where are these stats in GO, and how do you focus on them?

Ultryx

Quick question for anyone using the PokeVision website. Exactly how far on the map can I scroll out once I've selected my location -- and still get an accurate scan? Can I zoom out to incorporate most of my city and it still works? Or does it need to be a small area?

Finally got the Hitmonchan at the spawn I've been monitoring for days now. It's at a gas station about a 7 min drive from my house. Checked Pokevision, 13 mins left, bolted for the car. 1 AM and dead tired but the bastard is finally mine :)

Too bad he was only 99 CP.

That Lake Front park in Kissimmee is an hour drive for me, might check it out this weekend. I scanned the nearby Hunters Creek golf course and it's a huge Charmander nest. I counted 7 unique spawns in the area at one point.

foladar

Went to Kissimmee Lake Front near Orlando and it was incredible. Caught like 100 uncommon/semi-rare Pokemon over 2 hours. No pidgeys, rattatas, or zubats in sight. Never gonna be able to go back to catching mon in my small town again

ya, it's really the best in the region.. really hard to go elsewhere, it's also hard on the balls (great / ultra) plus always get at least one cool thing. Parking, however, sucks.. be careful where you park cuz they do tow if you aren't parked properly. It does suck for XP farming tho.

Darryl

Banned
Finally got the Hitmonchan at the spawn I've been monitoring for days now. It's at a gas station about a 7 min drive from my house. Checked Pokevision, 13 mins left, bolted for the car. 1 AM and dead tired but the bastard is finally mine :)

Too bad he was only 99 CP.

That Lake Front park in Kissimmee is an hour drive for me, might check it out this weekend. I scanned the nearby Hunters Creek golf course and it's a huge Charmander nest. I counted 7 unique spawns in the area at one point.

It was an hour drive for me too. Worth it tho. That place is crazy at night. I checked the Charmander nest and it was legit but you know, it's a gated community and there is no good walking areas. So I dunno about driving circles at 10MPH around a gated community for Charmanders. Kinda funny. Few other people there doing the same. They're probably leaving the gates open right now so people can farm Charmanders

So I'm level 12 right now, haven't had a chance to play a ton.

Assuming I can get 60 pokemon that can be evolved tomorrow, is it smart to use my lucky egg and gain a bunch of XP, or should I hold off until I'm a higher level?

All the gyms around my place have pokemon that are too high for me to do anything to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom