• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoszed

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

h2H6IJq.png

Maybe this is a dumb question but why are you guys even playing this game if you use something like this? To me the whole point of it is to be surprised by finding something.

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

h2H6IJq.png
Awesome, thanks so much.

Though, in trying to use it on Android Chrome, how do you fix the error message where it says you didn't share your location? I was never given a prompt to allow it to use my location.

Maybe this is a dumb question but why are you guys even playing this game if you use something like this? To me the whole point of it is to be surprised by finding something.

Because "nearby" in the game doesn't work. If it did, a pretty substantial amount of people wouldn't use sites like that.

If the game tells you something cool is nearby but isn't any more clear than "it could be up to 1km away in any direction," you can see why people would use this site rather than miss it. If paw prints worked and people could hunt stuff themselves, a lot of people would rather do it, but they don't have that option.

PSFan

Oh, I'm definitely surprised when I see a Snorlax or something rare like that on the map. And when you see it, then you hope there's enough time left to get there before it despawns.

adamy

Banned
anyone have a chansey that is +1000 cp?

i have 3 chanseys, got all while in my mid 20s, all are ~300 cp...yet have beastly stats

so i figured maybe chansey is meant to intenitally be stuck at low CP yet still tear shit up?

all my ~300 CP chanseys have +300 hp which is much higher than my +2k CP pokemon

i'm guessing chansey has to be treated differently. my 15-15-15 chansey is maxed out at 501 CP and my trainer level is 25

i don't get it

What's those IV everybody's talking about?

Hidden stats that affect the stats of the Pokémon. Each individual Pokémon has its own set of IVs, so two Pokémon from the same species are typically not equal, even at the same level with the same move set. They're in the main series games as well, and were completely hidden from the player for quite a while, the in recent games they've made them a little more visible.

Yeah I also don't get it. I don't want to use stuff like that either.
I know the whole tracking thing is broken and I hope they fix it soon but using stuff like this actually kills all the fun for me.

Vipu

Banned
Because "nearby" in the game doesn't work. If it did, a pretty substantial amount of people wouldn't use sites like that.

If the game tells you something cool is nearby but isn't any more clear than "it could be up to 1km away in any direction," you can see why people would use this site rather than miss it. If paw prints worked and people could hunt stuff themselves, a lot of people would rather do it, but they don't have that option.

Im sure most people scan the whole area and just go to good pokemons straight.
Nearby doesnt show that so everyone will keep using it.
Thats just stupid excuse to use this "cheat", I hope they can somehow fix it so its not possible to use these search things anymore.

adamy

Banned
I know the whole tracking thing is broken and I hope they fix it soon but using stuff like this actually kills all the fun for me.

meh, i don't see the appeal because i never really base where i go on the game

i do what i want and go where i want, just usually have the game running

i would never pre-decide where i go based on what shows up on it, so i just don't see the appeal personally

John Dunbar

correct about everything

h2H6IJq.png

thanks, that's pretty incredible. and as i suspected, nothing but weedles, pidgeys and rattatas around here.

edit: when i try with my cell phone, i get "Error: User opted not to share location?" anyone know how i can agree to do that?

Thats just stupid excuse to use this "cheat", I hope they can somehow fix it so its not possible to use these search things anymore.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying a lot of people don't use it like that.

But at the moment, it's the only option that works because Niantic haven't fixed the nearby problem. It's preferable to losing a cool catch, whether they want to use it or not.

Chaos17

Someone know what app show the pokespot of your town ? I've seen screenshots showing only pokespots on google map but never guessed what app do that.

PSFan

It adds to the fun for me. It's really no different than the Pokedex in the regular games showing what routes you can catch a particular Pokemon on.

Why? Someone using a map program won't affect your game or experience in the slightest. It's not like a Pokemon will be gone after it's caught by someone using a map. And I'm sure if you were walking around your neighborhood and playing and someone said that they saw a Dragonite or something on their map and it's on the next block, you would be off like a shot.

Again, it's not really a "cheat" and it's really no different than the Pokedex in the regular games showing you what route a Pokemon can be found on.

Waldini

It adds to the fun for me. It's really no different than the Pokedex in the regular games showing what routes you can catch a particular Pokemon on.

Why? Someone using a map program won't affect your game or experience in the slightest. It's not like a Pokemon will be gone after it's caught by someone using a map. And I'm sure if you were walking around your neighborhood and playing and someone said that they saw a Dragonite or something on their map and it's on the next block, you would be off like a shot.

Again, it's not really a "cheat" and it's really no different than the Pokedex in the regular games showing you what route a Pokemon can be found on.

I live in a city in The Netherlands. I've never seen an Onix spawn here. Neither have I seen a Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard or any other "big" Pokemon. Using the radar I can make sure these Pokemon are even here. When I go out and hunt, I don't use it ...

Ayumi

Does anyone have an accurate rarity chart with photos? Doesn't need name since I don't know the English ones. I think the one I have in Japanese isn't good, it doesn't match the others I've seen.

eek5

Does anyone have an accurate rarity chart with photos? Doesn't need name since I don't know the English ones. I think the one I have in Japanese isn't good, it doesn't match the others I've seen.

It will depend on your area though. For example people complain about drowzee spawns but it's one of the rarer pokemon in my area

Banzai

The maps are almost necessary while the nearby list doesn't work. Unless you're content with only finding the most common ones or lucking into the rares. Although I have to admit I will probably keep using maps even after it's fixed, the real problem is bots and spoofers.

Vipu

Banned
The maps are almost necessary while the nearby list doesn't work. Unless you're content with only finding the most common ones or lucking into the rares. Although I have to admit I will probably keep using maps even after it's fixed, the real problem are bots and spoofers.

Why are the botters and spoofers a problem if that guy before said it doesnt effect YOU what other people do?

Someone using a map program won't affect your game or experience in the slightest.

I dont agree since there is gyms where you have to fight with other people etc but sure.

adamy

Banned
It will depend on your area though. For example people complain about drowzee spawns but it's one of the rarer pokemon in my area

yup, i've heard people go ape shit for eevees and even watched that video of a mob of people swarming the streets for a vaporeon yet i've had +1k eevee candy without trying

i think i've heard growlithes are rare for same too, got +1k candy for them as well

drowzees are rare as shit here tho

PSFan

I live in a city in The Netherlands. I've never seen an Onix spawn here. Neither have I seen a Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard or any other "big" Pokemon. Using the radar I can make sure these Pokemon are even here. When I go out and hunt, I don't use it ...

I live in SE US, a few blocks from the ocean. I've never seen an Onix either. Bulbasaur is pretty common in my neighborhood now, I always see a spawn when I look at the map pretty much. I see Squirtles from time to time, nowhere near as much as Bulbasaur and I only just started seeing Charmanders the other day. But they are still very rare and don't pop often.

The only evolved starter forms I've seen in my neighborhood is Ivysaur, which is starting to pop more often, and a Venusaur that I've only seen once or twice.

The radar in the game is so broke, that it's actually wrong most of the time and Pokemon shown on it aren't even spawned.

Why are the botters and spoofers a problem if that guy before said it doesnt effect YOU what other people do?

I dont agree since there is gyms where you have to fight with other people etc but sure.

To be fair, I only said someone using a map program to see what Pokemon are around them. Botters and spoofer is a completely different thing, and can affect gyms and things by unfairly levelling up Pokemon to high levels.

Banzai

Map users still go outside to catch the Pokemon. Which is the point of the game, right?
I still go on walks regularly to find some random spawns nearby and hatch eggs, too.

Spoofers and bot users do all that without ever leaving the chair in front of their computers. Not to mention how the gym system can get screwed up by such users.

Ayumi

Ohh, I see. Thank you! Does a "shadow" on the "Pokemon Nearby" list mean they are further away than the rest?

adamy

Banned
just a heads up, not sure if this is common knowledge as i just recently started learning about IVs, but it seems like pokemon that hatch from eggs have much, much higher chance to have a better IV perfection %. this could be trainer level based tho.

also noticed that XS and XL pokemon tend to have higher IV perfection %, but this is just based on my limited experiences

eek5

yup, i've heard people go ape shit for eevees and even watched that video of a mob of people swarming the streets for a vaporeon yet i've had +1k eevee candy without trying

i think i've heard growlithes are rare for same too, got +1k candy for them as well

drowzees are rare as shit here tho

Yeah. Drowzees don't even break top 30 most common where I'm at and growlithes are the 7th most common. If you go about 12 miles west of where I'm at Ekans and Sandshrews become more common than pidgeys.

t08VqZy.png

(out of 435k unique spawns)

Ohh, I see. Thank you! Does a "shadow" on the "Pokemon Nearby" list mean they are further away than the rest?

Footsteps are bugged. They're supposed to show 1, 2, or 3 footsteps based on distance but they only show 3 now. Shadow just means you haven't encountered it yet. Once you try to capture it the silhouette will go away.

Because the core of the game doesn't work?

It hasn't worked for longer than it did work and as such people have made the game into something that does. Albeit very differently.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's awesome. I don't think I've ever had a SO who is as enthusiastic about games as I am.

What's your long term Pokémon Go outing setup? Almost a full day outside seems like an endurance test more than anything.
Setup? If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm sitting at a place with triple Pokestops and they're always active with lures. There's a spot to charge your phone there as well so no need for power bank either! There are plenty of people who camp there as well so whenever I see them running towards a spot, I either follow them (not even knowing what they're looking for) or I check Pokevision real quick to see where it might be. That's when I ride my bike (that is right next to me) and capture the sucker :)

Today, I brought an extra bag with me, with a thick jacket. So when it becomes cold, I'll just unequip my summer jacket and equip my leather jacket because FUCK was it cold last night :lol

I find the common pokemon for different areas to be really interesting haha.

Like around my house it's Pidgey, Ratata and Zubat everywhere, but if I go down to the waterfront it's all Psyduck, Poliwag, Magikarp Goldeen and Tentacool, with the nearby park being overrun by Abra, Voltorb and Magnemite.

At the same time I've only ever caught 2 Drowzee, Machop and Grimer and 3 Geodude and Slowpoke.

I find the common pokemon for different areas to be really interesting haha.

Like around my house it's Pidgey, Ratata and Zubat everywhere, but if I go down to the waterfront it's all Psyduck, Poliwag, Magikarp and Tentacool, with the nearby park being overrun by Abra, Voltorb and Magnemite.

At the same time I've only ever caught 2 Drowzee, Machop and Grimer and 3 Geodude and Slowpoke.

I'm still trying to figure out why Magmar spawns out in front of this high school near my house lol.

Because the core of the game doesn't work?

It hasn't worked for longer than it did work and as such people have made the game into something that does. Albeit very differently.

Maybe the Pokémon finder could just remove links to maps. So you'd only know the Pokémon is 400m away but not where, then you move and re-scan and see it's 300m away and can locate it that way.

Obviously that'd put a bit more stress on servers since scans would be more frequent, but it would be a way for the tool to imitate the way the game is supposed to work.

Best of both worlds.

sophora

Been seeing more Jigglypuff around my suburb. Just ran out of poke/greatballs trying to catch a Kadabra this morning. I need to go restock sometime today...guess I'll go visit my usual pokestop route.

The scan distance is about 1000m as the crow flies maximum, it's too far for walking in many cases. It's a rewrite of the python, doing a spiral, and more efficient as a scan takes about 30 seconds.

The stars are a rough indication of rarity, some 3 star guys appear on average once out of several thousand of the commons. Last time I checked there were about 128 different ones seen today so 23 are rarer, or don't spawn yet.

It's using more than one trainer account if the usage gets higher I have to add more accounts otherwise randomly I start getting blank results.

Thanks for the reply. Great work as well.

Been seeing more Jigglypuff around my suburb. Just ran out of poke/greatballs trying to catch a Kadabra this morning. I need to go restock sometime today...guess I'll go visit my usual pokestop route.

I might visit my parents this evening and the last time ive been there I saw a Dratini...got to ask my brother if he has a certain route with Pokemon I dont got yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom