• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gym battle system absolutely needs a polish pass. It's pretty obvious that was the last thing they developed before releasing the full game. It barely works as-is. And the whole system is not explained well in game at all.

And I agree with you that complexity is often confused with depth. Just adding a convoluted breeding system isn't going to all of a sudden make the game deeper. But it might end up confusing and frustrating a large part of the player base. Like I said, Niantic needs to be very careful how they introduce new features to ensure inexperienced players aren't getting left behind.
Heh, I'd argue that barely anything at all is explained, let alone the gym system. I frequently end up chatting away to other go players and blowing their minds with all the lil tricks and features the game really doesn't make obvious at all such as claiming rewards for holding gyms (who on earth would look in the shop for it, let alone realise it's behind an unlabelled button with a shield on it???) to smaller but useful things like the game auto-collecting everything from a pokestop if you close it rather than requiring you to pop all the item bubbles manually XD

I do agree though, i think breeding and whatnot could be unnecessary, after all while this is a pokemon franchise game it's not a pokemon mainline game as evidenced by how completely different the capture and combat mechanics are right off the bat so I feel it's really in Niantic's best interests to work out what'd work best for the game rather than simply aping features from the series just because :3

I'm not sure what changes they could add to give the game more depth in an intuitive manner though. Some small things would be weather changing which pokemon appear (so when it's raining you get water and maybe ice pokemon scattered throughout while on hot days you might see more fire and grass pokemon than usual) would be a pleasant addition though. Anything that strengthens the connection between the real world and virtual would be a nice touch for me, personally XD

Someone took out the team holding a gym on this campus...and then did nothing. There's an open gym just sitting there taunting me and I can't go add something to it.

Yeah they absolutely need to add another way of getting candy if they push out more Pokemon.

Despite running low on Pokeballs many times, I never once thought about buying any more, but if there were ways to buy batches of candies I'd probably be bankrupt by now. The only Magikarp I have ever seen came from an egg. A Gyarados is a pipe dream.

But tbh I don't think they need another way to get candy - they just need to take evolutions and CP into account. Getting additional candies when catching/transferring based on an evolution + CP multiplier would probably make the game a lot more satisfying while still making you go out to catch multiples.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Along with that, there are also evolutions to some gen 1 pokemon that don't come until gen 4. (Electabuzz, Rhydon, and Magmar) Would you personally mind if those were added as well?
Nope- that would be my preference, personally. All the Gen 1 evolutions, regardless of what gen those "new" mons technically belong to. That would be awesome, like the "complete" Gen 1, without having to worry about hundreds more to catch ;P
One more question. This will decide on how I judge you as a human being, so answer wisely.

As a person who stopped following after hen 2 (presumably?) do you think buizel (gen 4) is a quality design
Haha ok. You're right in that I definitely have not seen this one before...

I like him, he's pretty adorable. And some cursory reading reveals that he is a water-type weasel, which means his name would seem to be a pretty Gen 1-esque pun. So I approve. I must mention that "Floatzel" is an incredibly stupid name though.

For a new account, is PTC the only option? I want to change my avatar, should I just stick it out in the hope it becomes available in an update?

What happens when you have a Pokemon fully powered up on its cp arc and you level up your trainer? Does that Pokemon's cp rise, or do you just get some more room on the cp arc to power it up?

CrazE

Banned
The game is so glitchy and laggy now. They took out roads it looks like that were in parking lots and such, they took out parks that used to be big green squares or whatever shape the park was in. Wow.... and to top it off my sound only works through head phones. Doesn't come out of normal speakers now. Everything else does on my phone... iPhone 6 plus here... wild.

They took out the great step finder, they took out when you could see what area and date you caught a certain pokemon and now they've taken out parking lot streets and parks.

And game is laggier than ever.

Wild stuff.

Svafnir

The game is so glitchy and laggy now. They took out roads it looks like that were in parking lots and such, they took out parks that used to be big green squares or whatever shape the park was in. Wow.... and to top it off my sound only works through head phones. Doesn't come out of normal speakers now. Everything else does on my phone... iPhone 6 plus here... wild.

They took out the great step finder, they took out when you could see what area and date you caught a certain pokemon and now they've taken out parking lot streets and parks.

Wild stuff.

That sounds like a you problem. My journal still works and I still see all the areas you say were removed...

Wild stuff.
Sounds like your client is having issues. I was remarking to a friend that they seemed to have removed some of the paths and roads but when they showed me their screen they still had all the stuff that was missing on mine. I might re-install the game to see if that fixes it.

Nope- that would be my preference, personally. All the Gen 1 evolutions, regardless of what gen those "new" mons technically belong to. That would be awesome, like the "complete" Gen 1, without having to worry about hundreds more to catch ;P

Haha ok. You're right in that I definitely have not seen this one before...

I like him, he's pretty adorable. And some cursory reading reveals that he is a water-type weasel, which means his name would seem to be a pretty Gen 1-esque pun. So I approve. I must mention that "Floatzel" is an incredibly stupid name though.

floatzel was a mistake

Muku

"While officials in Rocky Mount say they have not had any incidents reported on city property, they are cracking down to ensure the public's safety."

nofun.gif

The game is so glitchy and laggy now. They took out roads it looks like that were in parking lots and such, they took out parks that used to be big green squares or whatever shape the park was in.
I'm actually seeing this too at my local Pikachu nest. Last time something like this happened (4 out of 6 gyms and a few pokestops disappeared), it was brought back the next day though so don't panic about that just yet.

As for the sound issues, not having those so can't help there.

L Thammy

Should the player's constant wandering around be considered a bug or a feature? Because it's amazing how effective sitting completely still can be for hatching eggs.

Also:
I get more Drowzee than a soul food restaurant.

Arrrammis

For a new account, is PTC the only option? I want to change my avatar, should I just stick it out in the hope it becomes available in an update?

You can create an account using PTC or Google login. It's easy enough to create a new gmail account, then you can log in with that if you don't want to use PTC. For avatars, we haven't heard anything AFAIK, so if your avatar really bothers you and you don't mind creating a different account, that would be the best way. That said, the avatars don't have very much variety, The only difference you can see is gender, hair color, and clothes color.

zroid

Banned

Wild stuff.

That sounds like a you problem. My journal still works and I still see all the areas you say were removed...

I was experiencing something similar to that this morning with some of the roads weirdly disappearing on the map, especially within parking lots. But it fixed itself after I restarted (Android).

Sealtest

Just had a blastoise spawn an hour ago at my corner then 15 minutes later it spawned again yet I was the only one who couldn't see it.

Is it because I caught it the first time and there is some sort of hidden timer of when I can get a pokemon in that spot again?

CrazE

Banned

Your journal shows you the location of where you caught your pokemon? You might be the lucky one out there. And maybe it's my location. Co workers have the same thing going on with the map and no roads/parks loading up.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Playing this game without mobile data seems entirely not worthwhile. I finally got to level 5 and tried out a gym battle just for fun, but all my Pokemon were so outmatched in CP that I never even got a turn before the enemy wiped out all 6. Now I've got no way to revive them without paying cash.

Cynar

Has someone captured a Gyarados on the wild or the only way to get one is through the 400 Magikarps?? Thank.
My girlfriend and I caught gyarados in the wild. It can happen. I live near a park by the water though so it's appeared a few times for users in my area. Lots of magikarp too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Playing this game without mobile data seems entirely not worthwhile. I finally got to level 5 and tried out a gym battle just for fun, but all my Pokemon were so outmatched in CP that I never even got a turn before the enemy wiped out all 6. Now I've got no way to revive them without paying cash.
Wait... cash won't help you revive them either. You need to go to Pokestops.

But anyway I can't imagine playing with any form of mobile data. Kudos to you for trying but that strikes me at first impression as incredibly difficult.

PStew

Neo Member
after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

h2H6IJq.png

Your a legend. Good stuff mate

Meier

I think it absolutely goes without saying that this is not intended to be played without mobile data. You could of course find a restaurant or some sort of place (a coffee shop) with access to a PokeStop and wifi though.

Chaos17

My 6th day of Pokemon go, I didn't go to walk the 2 last past days but today I felt better and tried to discover a new spots. I'm fortunate, pokespots aren't too far but not close either to each other so I've to choose a destination before hand.

I still didn't get the chance to make any eye contact or say hello to some players... but! I'm happy to see other people irl share my hobby for once. Usualy it's only by internet.

Beside, I'm started to fight against discrimination on twitter, security concern is okay but not the other stuff I witnessed so far that frenchs haters are trying to spread. I hope they will get bored at some point. There're other important matter if they want to spit their venom on...

Also I found pixiv enjoyable to found new fanarts :D

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=58117813

Edit: people have the right to dislike the game but not to discriminate.

So I went past a gym for the first time.... and it's owned by my team.

I still got an option to fight the pokemon in there, is there a point to doing that when my team is controlling it?

gutshot

So I went past a gym for the first time.... and it's owned by my team.

I still got an option to fight the pokemon in there, is there a point to doing that when my team is controlling it?

If you can defeat one or more of the Pokemon in there, the gym gains prestige. Gain enough prestige and the gym levels up, opening up a spot for you to place one of your Pokemon in there.

You can create an account using PTC or Google login. It's easy enough to create a new gmail account, then you can log in with that if you don't want to use PTC. For avatars, we haven't heard anything AFAIK, so if your avatar really bothers you and you don't mind creating a different account, that would be the best way. That said, the avatars don't have very much variety, The only difference you can see is gender, hair color, and clothes color.

How do I use a different gmail to create an account?

Pennybags

I realized that I need to stop getting rid of all the low - mid CP duplicates of good Pokemon.

Having an underpowered character to beat a single high CP Pokemon at a friendly gym results in a lot of Prestige. Highest I've had so far was about 600+ from a single victory.

Arrrammis

How do I use a different gmail to create an account?

If you're logged in to the app, go to settings, and then log out. On the home screen, it should give you an option to log in with gmail. Just tap the google login, enter the username and password for your desired gmail account, and it should automatically create the account for you.

So, Venezuela's president Maduro said that Pokémon Go (Or Guu, as he says) has thousands of young people living in a virtual reality that fosters a culture of violence where the objetive is to kill, kill, and kill. and apparently took a stance against video games in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmep7Flyl0

Later he also related this culture to the Munich shootings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom