• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

backlot

So apparently the 3 step 'bug' is caused by the fact that the distances to pokemon on the nearby system are calculated by the server and sent to client and Niantic currently have the server just sending 200 meters for all of them (which might explain why the order on the nearby grid doesn't seem as reliable as it used to! :eek: )

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/4uvqjn/3_step_glitch_fix/

I imagined it was probably something like that. Less stress on the servers if they don't have to make all those calculations. It's kind of amazing how server intensive this game is.

Kuros

So apparently the 3 step 'bug' is caused by the fact that the distances to pokemon on the nearby system are calculated by the server and sent to client and Niantic currently have the server just sending 200 meters for all of them (which might explain why the order on the nearby grid doesn't seem as reliable as it used to! :eek: )

Yeah it sounds like they turned it off to just get the game actually loading.

If you're logged in to the app, go to settings, and then log out. On the home screen, it should give you an option to log in with gmail. Just tap the google login, enter the username and password for your desired gmail account, and it should automatically create the account for you.

It automatically signs me back into my current account. Do I have to sign into the alternative gmail account on the playstore?

Growlie19

Went on an egg hatching spree on the way to work and boy was it worth it! The only dud was a Weedle from a 2K. Otherwise, I got a Sandshrew and Tentacool from 5K's and a Jynx from a 10K. I also reached level 18! Pokédex is now at 62 caught and seen.

So...I just saw a Growlithe pop up on my nearby, so quickly loaded up Pokevision.

11 minutes left - yay!

Rush out and find out, only to have it disappear after a single failed attempt.

Why?

I realized that I need to stop getting rid of all the low - mid CP duplicates of good Pokemon.

Having an underpowered character to beat a single high CP Pokemon at a friendly gym results in a lot of Prestige. Highest I've had so far was about 600+ from a single victory.

Really? That's interesting

I imagined it was probably something like that. Less stress on the servers if they don't have to make all those calculations. It's kind of amazing how server intensive this game is.

Yeah it sounds like they turned it off to just get the game actually loading.

I'm somewhat baffled why they did it this way though. The server is more than happy to tell you the pokemon's exact coords so it's not like doing the distance calc stops any kind of cheating. They could've easily had the phone work it out whenever the hardware isn't struggling (aka some kind of performance check and if the phone drops below it then it offloads the calculation to the servers... or they could just flag phone models that would struggle to ask the server, seeing as it seems you can designate which phones are even allowed to download the game in the first place)
This would've saved data, saved the servers a lot of work and also made the nearby system a lot more responsive in general :p

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
So...I just saw a Growlithe pop up on my nearby, so quickly loaded up Pokevision.

11 minutes left - yay!

Rush out and find out, only to have it disappear after a single failed attempt.

Why?

growlithe and abra love to run away after one fail its best to use fruit and greatballs on them

Arrrammis

It automatically signs me back into my current account. Do I have to sign into the alternative gmail account on the playstore?

Yeah, I think you have to add a gmail account to your device. I assume you're on android (since you said "Play store", sorry if I'm wrong for assuming), so try this: In your system settings, scroll down until you see a section labeled "ACCOUNTS". There should be an option at the bottom to add an account. Add your gmail account as an email, and when you relaunch the pokemon Go app and log in from the main screen, it should let you select which gmail account you want to use.

If you're on IOS, I don't know how it works, sorry.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That feels right. It's odd that they'd disable those calculations though. I wonder why translating them was so intensive server-side, or if it wasn't done intentionally.
So, Venezuela's president Maduro said that Pokémon Go (Or Guu, as he says) has thousands of young people living in a virtual reality that fosters a culture of violence where the objetive is to kill, kill, and kill. and apparently took a stance against video games in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmep7Flyl0

Later he also related this culture to the Munich shootings.
Good stuff
Since being elected president, Maduro has ruled Venezuela by decree for the majority of the period between 19 November 2013[4] through 2016.[5][6][7] As a result of Chávez's policies and Maduro's continuation of them, Venezuela's socioeconomic status declined, with crime, inflation, poverty and hunger increasing.[8][9][10][11]
Let's all make sure to give his viewpoints their due consideration
Really? That's interesting
Yeah, ideally, for training you use a Pokemon that is slightly below the CP of the Gym Leader's pokemon, than you CAN win with (type advantage awesome for this) so that you can get through all the lower ones relatively easily and get a huge Prestige bonus. It's tough, though, a lot of times my local gyms wind up stacked with mons by coordinated groups such that the lowest one on the ladder is still higher than my highest, which means I make no xp/prestige progress for defeats. I'm on the cusp of having some 1000+CP mons soon so I'm really looking forward to it.

Razmos

kTNQj6f.png

Eurgh, damn Drowzee's everywhere

There were actually more before I took the screen shot lol (its a new phone and I had to figure out how to do it)

Yeah, I think you have to add a gmail account to your device. I assume you're on android (since you said "Play store", sorry if I'm wrong for assuming), so try this: In your system settings, scroll down until you see a section labeled "ACCOUNTS". There should be an option at the bottom to add an account. Add your gmail account as an email, and when you relaunch the pokemon Go app and log in from the main screen, it should let you select which gmail account you want to use.

If you're on IOS, I don't know how it works, sorry.

Thank you very much for your help

udivision

What Pokemon are commonly in gyms at your area? Arcanines are EXTREMELY common where I live. Theres at least one, many times multiple Arcanines among virtually everyone's top strongest pokemon. At the same time, they feel kind of worthless as defenders because of Vaporeon.

On the other hand, I've never seen one Drowsee.

Joni

What Pokemon are commonly in gyms at your area? Arcanines are EXTREMELY common where I live. Theres at least one, many times multiple Arcanines among virtually everyone's top strongest pokemon. At the same time, they feel kind of worthless as defenders because of Vaporeon.

I see an Hypno from time to time.

Firemind

Yeah, ideally, for training you use a Pokemon that is slightly below the CP of the Gym Leader's pokemon, than you CAN win with (type advantage awesome for this) so that you can get through all the lower ones relatively easily and get a huge Prestige bonus. It's tough, though, a lot of times my local gyms wind up stacked with mons by coordinated groups such that the lowest one on the ladder is still higher than my highest, which means I make no xp/prestige progress for defeats. I'm on the cusp of having some 1000+CP mons soon so I'm really looking forward to it.
What? You can only use one Pokemon to train so it's actually impossible to go all the way to the boss with a lower cp pokemon and win. Unless its minions are straight up trash, in which case it's pointless to train the gym.

Arrrammis

All pokemons in my area are full of Eeveelutions (Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon), one has a Snorlax, and all are led by a very strong Dragonite. The dragonites are all owned by the same person, and I almost believe that they're cheating because if it. There are no nests in my county, and I am the only one in my group of friends that has a Dratini (and I have only seen that one ever).

Getting closer and closer...

Think I found like 5 today already.

It worth asking people you meet whether they know good spots.
I thought I'd never get to 400 candy but then I met someone on the street and he knew of a spot, I went there today and went from 140 magicarp candy to 480.
I have CP1940 Gyrados now with max Hp.
CP1940 isn't quite max for me, 1959 would be max for trainer lv. 24.
But I will probably go to the same spot again tomorrow because there is a lot of nebulaks too and I want a Gengar, so maybe i get a perfect Magicarp tomorrow.

Yudoken

This game is do tedious, kinda reminds me of Street Fighter V launch but honestly at least there is no "grind" to get good.
At least there is the local fights which are perfectly fine.
People here in the arenas have crazy high stats, no way I can reach that unless I'm basically playing 24/7 in a busy location with a lot of Pokestops and playing people.

And it doesn't help that I'm playing it in turkey.

Also the technical problems and the slow loading times on my Note 2 (which admittedly is rather my fault) are rather disappointing.

Also am I missing something or do I need to keep the screen on the entire time?

In my opinion there should be an option to turn the screen off and just press the play/pause button on the headset (with audio clues over the headphones) and vibration of the phone activate Pokestops and catching Pokemon. There is honestly no need to keep the screen on for the game for those two things.
I know the Pokewatch is basically doing a few of those things but that's just unnecessary honestly.

I really would love to try this in a busier place out but for now I stop.

GulAtiCa

It worth asking people you meet whether they know good spots.
I thought I'd never get to 400 candy but then I met someone on the street and he knew of a spot, I went there today and went from 140 magicarp candy to 480.
I have CP1940 Gyrados now with max Hp.
CP1940 isn't quite max for me, 1959 would be max for trainer lv. 24.
But I will probably go to the same spot again tomorrow because there is a lot of nebulaks too and I want a Gengar, so maybe i get a perfect Magicarp tomorrow.

That's cool! I work next to a pond, so Water Pokemon are always showing up. I see about at least 5 Magikarps a workday. I usually see a Dratini or 2 every week here as well. (Actually found 3 since Monday)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What? You can only use one Pokemon to train so it's actually impossible to go all the way to the boss with a lower cp pokemon and win. Unless its minions are straight up trash, in which case it's pointless to train the gym.
i don't know what you're surmising the point to be, but to me that's an ideal friendly gym for XP and raising prestige quickly to get your mon in for the coins.

brian577

Banned

Seeing the same thing in my area. Arcanines at every gym.

eso76

Oh dear. I just thought of something.
GTAVI is going to have its own Pokemon Go minigame.
Or some other kind of augmented reality (augmented virtuality, really) treasure hunting using ingame smartphones.

It just makes too much sense and it's relatively easy to implement.

Firemind

i don't know what you're surmising the point to be, but to me that's an ideal friendly gym for XP and raising prestige quickly to get your mon in for the coins.
Your point is that you ideally want a pokemon slightly below the boss with a type advantage. Realistically your point is irrelevant because you're not likely to ever meet the final pokemon because the rest will have already chipped away your hp before you meet him or outright beat you.

And you want to train up gyms with all 1000+ cp pokemon. There's no point in training gyms with trash pokemon because they're too easy to beat and for the time you train the gym, you could easily take over several gyms. Training takes way too much time especially for high level gyms.

So your point is moot.

Oh dear. I just thought of something.
GTAVI is going to have its own Pokemon Go minigame.
Or some other kind of augmented reality (augmented virtuality, really) treasure hunting using ingame smartphones.

It just makes too much sense and it's relatively easy to implement.

Why stop there.
VR can create an augmented reality game too! You warp around rather low-res cities holding your controller, which looks like a smart phone, hunting for the buzz to indicate that you've found something that you've never found before. It can be MMORPG so all the other VR people can be in-game as avatars. Then you go back to your VR homes and post screen shots of your virtual phones on virtual forums.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
completely pooped today

on a bike for 14h today, catching all dem pokemans

holy shit

Ever since Lv. 22 I eat through Pokeball like they're nothing.
Was at spot with 4 Pokestops today, all lured, and had to stop catching Pokemon at some point because I was all out of ball.
Even normal Pokemon become extremely hard to catch now. A CP 180 Weedle just jumped out of 6 Pokeballs and 2 Superballs, finally caught it in an Ultraball then.
At my current rate I probably need to get at least 1 or 2 Pokestops on average to cover the Pokeball costs of catching one Pokemon. Not fun.

eso76

Why stop there.
VR can create an augmented reality game too! You warp around rather low-res cities holding your controller, which looks like a smart phone, hunting for the buzz to indicate that you've found something that you've never found before. It can be MMORPG so all the other VR people can be in-game as avatars. Then you go back to your VR homes and post screen shots of your virtual phones on virtual forums.

...i'm not being taken seriously : \

CrazE

Banned
Sounds like your client is having issues. I was remarking to a friend that they seemed to have removed some of the paths and roads but when they showed me their screen they still had all the stuff that was missing on mine. I might re-install the game to see if that fixes it.

I think I might do that too. Just reinstall the game. I'm using my google account, so it should save all my progress....

Right guyz!?!!?!?

Ever since Lv. 22 I eat through Pokeball like they're nothing.
Was at spot with 4 Pokestops today, all lured, and had to stop catching Pokemon at some point because I was all out of ball.
Even normal Pokemon become extremely hard to catch now. A CP 180 Weedle just jumped out of 6 Pokeballs and 2 Superballs, finally caught it in an Ultraball then.
At my current rate I probably need to get at least 1 or 2 Pokestops on average to cover the Pokeball costs of catching one Pokemon. Not fun.

I mean its been said a hundred times before but you just gotta find a nice loop of stops you can hit a few times and you'll stock up easily. I catch everything I see, go through about 100 or so pokeballs at work and I'm able to stock up to about 150/50/50 Normal/Great/Ultra's in about 15 minutes. I also live in a downtown city...

But same here with busting out. I've had pokemon under 100CP bust out a few times, it makes no sense and is frustrating but once you find a nice spot to farm pokestops it wont annoy you at all.

Chicago O'hare confirmed to be a Drowzee farm.

I'm curious about the possibility of collaboratively reporting nests especially when/if they block the assist tools like pokemap etc.

What defines a nest/farm? more than one of a single type spawned at the same time in the same small area? And spawning continues, like .. what. continuously? with what frequency? Is it there forever or nests appear for a while then go away?

hydruxo

I'm curious about the possibility of collaboratively reporting nests especially when/if they block the assist tools like pokemap etc.

What defines a nest/farm? more than one of a single type spawned at the same time in the same small area? And spawning continues, like .. what. continuously? with what frequency? Is it there forever or nests appear for a while then go away?

Yeah to me, a nest is:

1) Several of one type of pokemon spawned at the same time in close proximity

and/or

2) A certain pokemon is known to spawn there repeatedly everyday (not necessarily always multiples at once though)

Doomsayer

I'm just learning about region locked Pokemon, and I see that Kangaskhan is a regional exclusive to Australia.

It's kind of odd though -- the second day I played this game I saw the silhouette of one pop up on my radar. I tried to track it (RIP tracking system) but it disappeared before I got close enough. Now I have legitimately not seen another one pop up, maybe he slipped through the cracks and they corrected it fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom