• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl

Banned
Anyone notice it's impossible to catch Pokemon if you're moving too fast?

If I'm in a car going +60mph they always escape 100% of the time after first ball that hits them

Yea. people bragged about all the Pokemon they see using incense on the highway. so we tried it out, but all the Pokemon were uncatchable and we just wasted money, time, and balls

sophora

It's barely been a month, people gotta slow their roll man. On the topic of that fan mock-up, it's seems convoluted to me to introduce the Johto pokemon that way. I just want them to sneak them in an update but I don't really expect an expansion like this until at the earliest the 2016 Holiday.

panda-zebra

Yea. people bragged about all the Pokemon they see using incense on the highway. so we tried it out, but all the Pokemon were uncatchable and we just wasted money, time, and balls

Yep, we saw this, when they spawned they were so far behind that they were 9 times out of 10 not able to be selected. Waste of the incense, time and data pulling up miles of map for no good reason :/

EL CUCO

What do you do if a mon's IV range is between 15-90%? Do you keep feeding power ups to close the window or just forget about that one.

Meier

I don't think any of that craziness is necessary for Gen II and beyond. Just make more Pokemon in general spawn and ensure that trading is eventually added so people can get Gen I Pokemon if they don't encounter them very often.

They probably need to consider introducing them fairly soon. I would think the absolute most pressing issue though is getting the paw prints to work again.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I really hope they don't bring all that shit from modern Pokemon in for a while. Anything to do with breeding, male/female, shiny has always been stupid.

I would rather have them focus on fixing bugs, trading, battling, setting up own points, being able to walk with an egg without the app open, etc.

When they add in Gen II, I'll probably be out since I recognize barely any of them.

zroid

Banned
Ugh a stupid Wartortle just drained me of like a third of my Razz Berries and Great Balls

and i didn't even catch it in the end.. bastard ran away :'(

Kyuur

I think a slow roll out as opposed to dumping all new pokemon in at once would be welcome. I don't really think breeding is necessary unless they add more complexity to individual Pokemon though.

zroid

Banned
I think a slow roll out as opposed to dumping all new pokemon in at once would be welcome. I don't really think breeding is necessary unless they add more complexity to individual Pokemon though.
It would be cool if they timed it so the gen 7 Pokémon were released a couple weeks after Sun & Moon, but that would probably be too fast to get the entire Pokédex there.

unless they skipped some of the other gens

domlolz

Banned
I really hope they don't bring all that shit from modern Pokemon in for a while. Anything to do with breeding, male/female, shiny has always been stupid.

I would rather have them focus on fixing bugs, trading, battling, setting up own points, being able to walk with an egg without the app open, etc.

When they add in Gen II, I'll probably be out since I recognize barely any of them.

lol so many bad opinions in one post

El_Chino

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

h2H6IJq.png
Google isn't letting me use the site, says I'm vulnerable to have my info stolen.

Jetku

I want them to regularly introduce new Pokemon.

Every Thursday, release a new evolutionary line or batch of Pokemon to the wild. Start with the Ge/ starters all at once, and roll out the rest weekly.

Hikami

Still on 124 caught on my Pokedex, haven't been able to get anything new in a while. Think I'm gonna stop and wait for some updates/bug fixes to roll out before I burn out on this.

The Pokemon craze made me get Alpha Sapphire at least. I had skipped it because I was disappointed that they didn't carry over trainer customization from X and Y. Don't really care about that now though.

Kyuur

By the way, since I know some people were excited for this: I got a browser-based Nearby tracker working fairly effortlessly yesterday. Used to find a couple 'mons and had some friends test it out as well. Couple of things:

- It uses Pokevision and therefore PTC, so if either of those are down it ceases to function
- It tracks based on some numbers I found from before footprints broke, although I may remove the maximum distance since the game seems to report Pokemon further away (or maybe just ones Pokevision doesn't pick up?)
- Since the intended use is on your phone browser, you have to open it there, and while the app is minimized you aren't getting any egg steps / lured pokemon / gyms etc, so you may have to frequently switch between the app and browser or have a walking partner to make good use
- Pokemon you've already captured won't disappear from the list

I'm working on some bug-fixing, interface stuff and getting actual hosting/domain, especially for stuff like pokemon images (currently hotlinking Serebii) before I release it into the wild. Hard to test with Pokevision/PTC down though!

zroid

Banned
I want them to regularly introduce new Pokemon.

Every Thursday, release a new evolutionary line or batch of Pokemon to the wild. Start with the Ge/ starters all at once, and roll out the rest weekly.

That would be okay, but with the way the game works, most people probably wouldn't even notice when there's an update

it might be more exciting if they rolled out more at a time so at least people would probably encounter a new Pokémon or two right away

Skeletron

Forget Gen ii. 151 pokemon is enough. I feel like a large part of Go's demographic, including myself, never made it past the original series. I have no nostalgia for the other games whatsoever.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eh. I know I am in a tiny minority here on GAF, but I think it was a masterstroke only including the Gen 1 Pokemon and a huge part of the game's appeal for me. I know for people who have stayed close to the franchise for the entirety of the last two decades it probably feels shallow and redundant to be catching this fraction of the total monsters yet again, but for me it's a thorough nostalgia-gasm as well as a very strong rekindling of that initial sense of potential accomplishment- that I could actually feasibly collect all 151.

I'll refrain completely any discussion of the actual quality of the Pokemon beyond Gen 1, not referring to that at all right here. But just the fact that there are more, and then more after that, makes the prospect of "catching em all" more daunting and less practical for me. Right now I am primarily excited about one day having "all" 151 Pokemon in my collection. If more are added before I've had the chance to even do that, it'll actually make things a lot less interesting for me. That's not even getting into the possibility of trying to keep up with/collect all... what are we up to now, 650?

Basically there are a lot of different kinds of players for a game like this. That fan concept for introducing Gen 2 was actually the first concept I'd seen that might actually make it enticing for someone like me. I can completely understand why a majority of people posting on this board would prefer that many more Pokemon are added, as much and as often as possible, but I did want to offer my perspective.

The only new Pokemon on the roster I actively want (i.e. would be completely okay with being added to the game 5 minutes from now) are the pre-evolutions and further evolvutions of the Gen 1 mons. People like me know Pichu and Scizor from Smash Bros and have seen that there are other cool evolutions for Eevee we never got to play with. At this moment I'm totally down for those. But the further we go into expanding the roster, the less appealing the entire proposition is to me personally. It's a tricky balance for Niantic.

Razmos

Blanche is a very feminine name, people don't know she's a girl?

Anyway, pokevision being down has really shown me just how awful the nearby pokemon feature is in game. There was an Omastar on the way home, and no matter where I went the Omastar never left the list and just kept shuffling around randomly, even when I was far away from the point where I initially saw it. And I've seen this happen before with a Snorlax too, it stays up for long after the pokemon has despawned. I have absolutely no qualms about using pokevision now because that shit is ridiculous and broken and really not fun

eaise

Neo Member
ispokemongodownornot.com says the servers are fine but I can't login to the game. (I'm in US) Anyone else having issues?

FinKL

Forget Gen ii. 151 pokemon is enough. I feel like a large part of Go's demographic, including myself, never made it past the original series. I have no nostalgia for the other games whatsoever.

I feel the exact same way, although I wouldn't mind them throwing in Sun/Moon to give exposure to the upcoming games. In fact, that sounds like the best idea to give it exposure and help sell more games/3DSs this Christmas

Razmos

Good for you. Other people grew up with other gens, and people who actually followed the series do like the later gens and it would be an utter waste to not include them.

I'm already getting bored of seeing the same few pokemon over and over and including the rest of the 720+ pokemon would definitely help with that.

You are basically asking them to ignore the diehard fans and focus on the people who gave up the series years and years ago

udivision

I'm not convinced people who only have nostalgia for the 151 would even have noticed if a few randoms for the other gens were included.

I don't really feel the need to add Gen 2 Poke immediately (because god knows when I'll even hit 100 Pokes at the pace I'm going) but at this point I don't think the appeal is only on 'nostalgia'. I know there are a lot of people that go "oh there's Ice cream Pokémon now!!!" because of 'internet' memes but that haven't followed the series and don't see the good designs we get with each gen and it's kind of a bummer to shut the others out completely imo.

For those people (and the kids getting into Pokémon, friends getting into it because of friends) more Poke just mean more, fun designs (and learning the fun designs instead of thinking everything's a key ring) and more chances to go out. I agree with Hawkian 100% tho that the appeal is that 151 is not too far off - it's a pleasant number - which is why I'm hoping that down the road they do an actual Pokémon Game with the Best Pokes from each Region and limit at 200 tops (otherwise I fear I might drop Sun/Moon just like I dropped White 2 while getting through the fodder/obligatory harder to catch ones)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I know plenty of people playing that had never played a Pokemon game before, or were only casually familiar with the originals enough to name Charmander, Pikachu and a few others. Including more Pokemon as time goes on from future generations will only further to increase their interest and way more Pokemon fans will prefer the additions of Gen II and beyond than would not. The '151 only' crowd existed way before GO and is very vocal.

Sat in town on my lunch and solo took out a red level 5 gym, after beating it the last time and it went through the victory bit and showed it being turned to grey - I clicked it and BAM - it was now being converted to a blue gym (I'm yellow).

They really need to add in a short timer (say 2 mins) locking the now grey gym to the person who took it down - to give them a chance to put one of their Pokémon in.

This!!! I took down a level 4 mystic gym and cam some little squirt put in his Pokemon and it was Mystic again.

On Android I have been getting GPS not found for hours and my trainer appears to be in a large body of water. Reset phone and app. No clue.

Edit: i am an idiot. Apparently i accidentally turned off the location option on my top screen. Jeez

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not convinced people who only have nostalgia for the 151 would even have noticed if a few randoms for the other gens were included.
Heh, I can still name all 151 OG pokemon from memory and spell them all :p Could before Go launched too. It's really obvious to me that I would have noticed ONE pokemon that wasn't on that list :p
Good for you. Other people grew up with other gens, and people who actually followed the series do like the later gens and it would be an utter waste to not include them.

I'm already getting bored of seeing the same few pokemon over and over and including the rest of the 720+ pokemon would definitely help with that.

You are basically asking them to ignore the diehard fans and focus on the people who gave up the series years and years ago
Personally I'm not asking them to do that but I did offer my thoughts above, and I'll reiterate that it's simply a tricky balance for Niantic. The appeal of this individual game does extend way, way beyond diehard fans and frankly it's worth mentioning that this is actually the first experience a lot of people are having with the franchise.

Also holy hell at the bold. 70 (plus?) more than my guess.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Guys if they don't include gen 2 then I can never get Ampharos so obviously they have to include them.

And yeah they need new Pokemon, gen 1 is fine and all but there's so many more interesting designs out there and I'm sick of seeing the same Pokemon already.

Orcastar

Why the hell does a Pokemon's distance from you change after the first capture attempt, making subsequent throws significantly more difficult? I had to let a Golbat go today because after my first successful throw it moved so far away that I literally could not throw balls far enough to even reach it. Must have wasted like 20 balls before finally giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom