• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
h75EDz5.jpg

zroid

Banned
Damn, first time I've seen the servers down graphic in a while

I really wanted to catch all those Drowzees near me :(((((

Firemind

I just got pinsir from a 10k and was about to throw my phone at the wall
at least pinsir is better than scyther

dual typing is actually a liability in this game since it makes you have more weaknesses, but since you can only have two moves you can't really take advantage of dual stab

like scyther is weak to electric and ice on top of fire, rock and flying. and it has no ground immunity lol

flkraven

So is this game always going to be a rush fest, where no matter how powerful you are (or your squad is), your gym will just be taken within 30 minutes of leaving? Even at this stage, I don't think there is a single gym I couldn't take down solo with enough patience.

Hycran

Banned
Login failed: western Canada

Servers have been pretty good since we got our own, this is the first outage I've experienced since then

EL CUCO

So is this game always going to be a rush fest, where no matter how powerful you are (or your squad is), your gym will just be taken within 30 minutes of leaving? Even at this stage, I don't think there is a single gym I couldn't take down solo with enough patience.
We've had to retake a gym by my job 5 times in the last 5 days. I was surprised to see it was still gold this morning. Looks like the Valor scum finally stopped trying. A little persistence and a 2000cp as gym leader doesn't hurt ;)

It all depends on where its located. Parks and heavily populated areas are constantly getting overrun.

backlot

What is the issue exactly?

Unstable servers make gyms glitch out. They'll freeze when initiating the battle or just kick you out of the battle repeatedly. It was a lot more frequent when the game launched but it still happens from time to time.

Oxx

I've only ever claimed 10 coins a day from having Pokemon inside a gym. I don't trust that I could occupy multiple locations at a time, so I just grab the coins as soon as I get in.

Unstable servers make gyms glitch out. They'll freeze when initiating the battle or just kick you out of the battle repeatedly. It was a lot more frequent when the game launched but it still happens from time to time.

Today has been bad for me in regards to that glitch. =(

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i've had a pokemon in a gym since yesterday, with about three hours left in the timer. do you get anything extra for holding a gym that long or would i just get the 10 coins again?

I just encountered this problem twice in a row. A bit annoying. Probably due to unstable server in the past few hours.

Pachimari

Super weird that the guy besides me in the bus could play PoGo, but I couldn't even log in. Maybe it's just the Google accounts that won't work at the moment in Europe.

It's so much easier to buy coins...

(I wanted that item bag upgrade)

Sure is. I've put in like $20 just to get item upgrades and a few lures for parties. Have plenty over for Pokeballs too.

This is the most a game has got me active since DDR, so I didn't mind putting some money down.

gutshot

It took me a little while, but I was able to get up to 200 coins through nothing but gym rewards. The key is to find out of the way gyms. I've been able to hold a couple gyms for days at a time doing that.

Vipu

Banned
I can get 5-8 gyms per day here.
It all depends where you live, if you live in big city, sure you cant get many gyms at once but you get tons of more pokemons, xp, pokestops etc.
If you live in smaller city you get more gyms but less everything else.

Kyuur

Alright folks, for those who wish the Nearby feature was working as intended but don't want to use one of the many pinpoint map apps out there, I hacked this together:

https://kyuur.github.io/nearbypokemon

Not sure how it'll hold up with many people accessing, might need to move it to an actual dedicated host and possibly my own CORS proxy (currently uses crossorigin.me to grab the Pokevision data).

There were 3 Eevees around the grocery store, but I ran out of Pokeballs. Went around trying to get more, but I wound up getting only 3 from the 3 Pokestops around here. Then the servers went down and I couldn't get back on.

PMS341

Ugh, I think I've encountered the most annoying glitch so far. Could just be a phone issue, but I've seen it happen to others as well. Since the latest update, if I find a wild Pokemon that I have not encountered before (I'm at 115 or so right now so it doesn't happen too often), my game will completely freeze and the music will start skipping. Upon force closing the app, the skipping music continues to play for another 10 seconds or so. If I try to load the app back up after that crash, the Niantic logo doesn't even pop up, and it stays on a white screen. Then it asks me to force close and all that. Restarting the phone allows me to get back in the app, but as soon as the Pokemon is supposed to appear on the map, everything stops again (usually I can move for 2-3 seconds). As soon as it was gone from radar, the app worked perfectly. This has happened to me multiple times now. D;

The key to gyms is location and time.

Forget any gyms in your downtown, near college campuses, popular restaurants, or any other area with high foot traffic. You won't hold them for more than a few minutes. Scout some that are more out of the way and you'll last longer.

Many parks have multiple gyms and usually close at dark, so get there just before closing and take all the gyms. When the park closes chances are you'll keep them until morning provided nobody sneaks in over night.

But the best tip is to go gym hunting late at night. My usual time is 10PM on weeknights or midnight for Friday and Saturday. I drive down the main road outside my neighborhood and loop back home a different road and can hit 10 gyms off the side of the road or in parking lots without leaving the car. Unless they're stacked high I can do my round in an hour.

As for taking gyms, form an A team and a B team. The A team are your top fighters and will be used for attacking and the B team will be your defenders that are high CP, but not as high as the A team. This way you can bang out all your gyms quick, claim your coins, and be done. This won't work at low trainer levels, but once you get about a dozen 1000CP+ pokemon you'll hold most gyms until morning.

If you're struggling to keep your bag full, try to find a string of pokestops you can hit nearby. I have a cemetary about 5 mins from my house that I go to once a day. If I drive the perimeter I can get 12 stops and they reset as I loop back to the beginning. 4 rounds and I can get over 100 pokeballs and plenty other items.

When you run low on balls, stop catching everything in sight. Pass on all Ratatas since they take twice the amount of candies to evolve verus Pidgeys, Weedles, and Caterpies. When one of those 3 pops up, run if it's over 200CP and use what I call the 3 ball rule. If he pops out of 3 balls, run away. There's always another pidgey around the corner, don't waste 10 balls on a 300CP pidgey when there's a 20CP pidgey just down the road.

Well that was a crazy end to the day.

Saw on... a certain website that a Machop was in downtown Columbus, OH. Figured that since I needed only two more for a Machamp, I might as well trek down there to grab it. I caught it, then saw that there was a Dragonair nearby. I need candy to power up my Dragonite, so I went for it... and caught it, too. As I was heading for my car, I saw a freaking AERODACTYL on the radar, and so I followed a frenzied crowd...

Not a great moveset, but WHATEVER. I'll take it.
Really seems aerodactyls are always downtown. That's where I got mine just in saint louis. Also heard a bunch of people catching him in Busch stadium

I can't tell, is Blanche male or female? Just curious as to what my leader is.

"Nothing burns more than the cold."
Blanche is a traditionally female name and she looks pretty female to me. Someone mentioned that Niantic confirmed she was female at the comic con event but i've not bothered to look into that to see if the claim is true.

edit: someone turned that little skit someone else made up into a bunch of comic panels XD
(I think it's from http://chishionrnr.tumblr.com/post/147959501190/i-love-this-meme-based-off-this-great)

I held a gym for like 3 hours on Tuesday.

Cause no one wanted to leave the comfy park area and go across the street.

I now need a good electric type, and a good grass type to round out my gym crew. Vaporeon, Lapra, and Snoralax are my main issues.

Dragonite too, but he's pretty rare around here.

Any good counters for those 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom