• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Naming trick still seems to work :O
HOZMbkO.png

Shinypogs

I have never missed pidgey as much as I do now
Everything in the gta is a drowzee . I used to like drowzee and now I hate them because I just want to use a lucky egg and catch up in levels but I catch more drowzee than anything else and it'd take forever to get enough candies to mass evolve a mostly drowzee batch of pokemon.

On the other hand there is a reliable spawn for ghastly nearby so while I don't catch nearly ad many of them I get enough that when I find a good candidate iv wise for evolution and powering up I'll have lots of candy.

sitting at home watching netflix, and this pops up. Greatest catch ever. not a fan of the moveset, but who cares. caught using normal balls
This is why I'd like to see a countrywide heat map of Pokémon sightings. Growlithe/Arcanine are almost as common as Zubats/Golbats where I am.

Qwark

I've never seen a Drowsee in my life.

SoCal.

They're regional. Growlithe, Sandshrew, Ekans appear much more in the West. Drowzee's and Eevee's are fairly common in the midwest. Not sure what's common in the east, but it's probably something else. I'm pretty sure everyone gets the supper common Pidgey/Rattatta/Weedles.

So im sorting and grinding up some pokemons at work. When my phone vibrates. A fucking dratini just walks up to my ass and jumps in a normal pokeball. I love this game.

ironmang

Evolve Gyarados and get Twister.

Also I thought IV carried over when evolving. My Magikarp was really high percent but evolved it's around 70. I'm just going to ignore "IV calculators" and just evolve the highest CP I have lol.

Firemind

Evolve Gyarados and get Twister.

Also I thought IV carried over when evolving. My Magikarp was really high percent but evolved it's around 70. I'm just going to ignore "IV calculators" and just evolve the highest CP I have lol.
that can't be right

iv calculators usually give a range of ivs

also twister isn't that bad. at least it lets him damage dragonite

still probably worse than wigglytuff/clefable as a dragonite counter

ironmang

that can't be right

iv calculators usually give a range of ivs

also twister isn't that bad. at least it lets him damage dragonite

still probably worse than wigglytuff/clefable as a dragonite counter

Maybe I used the calculator wrong. I powered up, changed to "Yes" on powered up, and hit refine. Said it was over 90%. Every magikarp has like 10 different results so I don't know how else you find a good one.

Twister is bad enough that I'm going to save my leftover 90 candies and put them towards a new one lol.

flkraven

Questions about how pokevision + pokemon go work. I know that cell phones being in an area tends to attract pokemon to start spawning there. I also know that if I ping on pokevision, I can see where pokemon are and sometimes there are areas with zero pokemon.

If me and a few friends go to a place that typically has zero pokemon, does that mean some will start spawning there simply because we are in that area?

I might toss this question on reddit too.

Questions about how pokevision + pokemon go work. I know that cell phones being in an area tends to attract pokemon to start spawning there. I also know that if I ping on pokevision, I can see where pokemon are and sometimes there are areas with zero pokemon.

If me and a few friends go to a place that typically has zero pokemon, does that mean some will start spawning there simply because we are in that area?

I might toss this question on reddit too.

Pokemon have spawn points, I doubt they're affected by the amount of cell phones around them. Pokevision is also pretty worthless unless you're willing to click a few hundred times in a small area to get a halfway accurate readout

Chaos17

Pokemon have spawn points, I doubt they're affected by the amount of cell phones around them. Pokevision is also pretty worthless unless you're willing to click a few hundred times in a small area to get a halfway accurate readout

Pokemons don't have spawn points otherwise rural areas wouldn't be suffering and someone on Reddit did tested about the cell phones stuff.

flkraven

I'm sure the number of phones has an impact since dense areas like Toronto have like 5 times the pokemon in the same sized area as here.

Pokemons don't have spawn points otherwise rural areas wouldn't be suffering and someone on Reddit did tested about the cell phones stuff.

Did tested?

Whatever you say. I catch just as much in rural areas as I do in cities, and often pokemon I never see in populated areas, but I can't negate other people's experiences. Just left an area with 40+ miles without as much as a gas station let alone small town and caught stuff I haven't seen in my hometown of hundreds of thousands of people-- anecdotal, yes. Must be lucky.

Anyway, it certainly seems like there are spawn points which will put out pokemon on a variable timer. Lures and incense are the only way to find pokemon outside of these spawn points as far as I'm aware, and sites like pokevision or Nearby Pokemon seem to agree that they're all placed in predetermined areas and cycle on a timer, but I guess I'm misunderstanding something.

Used a Lucky Egg to mass evolve, went from level 14 to 16, then dropped a lure and incense, then a Lapras spawned 100 meters away so I snagged that beast right away :D

Oh, also found a Weepinbel and a Kingler on the way to the Pokestop :D

Mr. Doop

They're regional. Growlithe, Sandshrew, Ekans appear much more in the West. Drowzee's and Eevee's are fairly common in the midwest. Not sure what's common in the east, but it's probably something else. I'm pretty sure everyone gets the supper common Pidgey/Rattatta/Weedles.

I'm in Maine and it's drowzee/eevee central here. I was down in Baltimore and Washington D.C. last week and saw a ton of doduo, so there's that.

flkraven

Did tested?

Whatever you say. I catch just as much in rural areas as I do in cities, and often pokemon I never see in populated areas, but I can't negate other people's experiences. Just left an area with 40+ miles without as much as a gas station let alone small town and caught stuff I haven't seen in my hometown of hundreds of thousands of people-- anecdotal, yes. Must be lucky.

Anyway, it certainly seems like there are spawn points which will put out pokemon on a variable timer. Lures and incense are the only way to find pokemon outside of these spawn points as far as I'm aware, and sites like pokevision or Nearby Pokemon seem to agree that they're all placed in predetermined areas and cycle on a timer, but I guess I'm misunderstanding something.

But that's what I'm talking about. That drive you took in the middle of nowhere for 40 miles. Check right now on pokevision. Is it showing zero pokemon along that stretch? If that's the case, then that means pokemon only show up on there if there is a phone in the area to 'see' them.

That means I have plenty of areas to explore around here.

eaise

Neo Member
The pokemon that are common in the southeast are zubats, ratattas,pidgeys, spearows, and eevees. Other than that I see paras, caterpies, and weedles kinda often. Everything else is rare. It sucks

But that's what I'm talking about. That drive you took in the middle of nowhere for 40 miles. Check right now on pokevision. Is it showing zero pokemon along that stretch? If that's the case, then that means pokemon only show up on there if there is a phone in the area to 'see' them.

That means I have plenty of areas to explore around here.

Well, even in my hometown, pokevision tend to show maybe 2 or 3 pokemon, but if I have the patience to click a few dozen times around my area, much more will show up. I really find it to be lackluster compared to nearly every other tool of its type, because it fails to work without clicking all over the place, and I know other people have posted similar complaints here.

I use the nearby pokemon tool created by a fellow gaffer, and it's usually a nice, full list no matter where I go.

Edit: yes, pokevision was sparse in that area, but that nearby pokemon list had 10-15 pokemon at all times and led me to three pokemon I hadn't caught which I would have missed had I relied on pokevision alone

They do have spawn points
Or rather each area has fixed spawn points and Pokemon spawn at them randomly..if you look at your local area often enough you can pickup where they spawn. So around my house there is one up the road in a university campus area and a bunch along a coastal route, and so on. At any given time of the day a sub selection of these spawns had a mob.
Within each spawn they may appear on the app map at slightly different spots but you can catch them from the same physical spot.

They do have spawn points
Or rather each area has fixed spawn points and Pokemon spawn at them randomly..if you look at your local area often enough you can pickup where they spawn. So around my house there is one up the road in a university campus area and a bunch along a coastal route, and so on. At any given time of the day a sub selection of these spawns had a mob.
Within each spawn they may appear on the app map at slightly different spots but you can catch them from the same physical spot.

Thanks. I wasn't saying that the same pokemon spawn at the same spots, but rather their given coordinates will spawn a random pokemon/group at varying intervals.

I agree that pokevision showing an empty area means you can still find pokemon out there; it's just that pokevision itself is kind of wonky, not that your cell phone is the only thing drawing pokemon out. They're spawning at regular, fixed points, whether someone is there or not.

Edit: if I'm remembering correctly, jellies two is the one who made Nearby Pokemon, which really is astoundingly better than pokevision itself and the updates it's received in the past day or two only improve its functionality and appeal, including replicating the "footsteps" feature currently disabled in-game.

Qwark

I'm in Maine and it's drowzee/eevee central here. I was down in Baltimore and Washington D.C. last week and saw a ton of doduo, so there's that.

My estimated regions are a bit off :p, but there are definitely regions (biomes I think) that have more common rarer Pokemon than others. Fargo, ND here, but Minneapolis, MN has a lot of the same common Pokemon groupings, lots of Eevees, Drowzees, Zubats, Paras, Oddish, etc. California and desert areas seem to have a lot of fire and ground types.

3phemeral

Might swomeone explain to me why the Game is so unfair in regards to locations ?

I mean i get that Santa Monica Pier is a tourist attraction. But it's incredibly unfair that it spawns ONLY rare pokemons. Did you see the map ? There are more Electeks, Kabuto and Amonitas than Pidgeys or Rattatas.

I can understand if you get SOME rare Pokemons to spawn there. But this is just crazy.
This isn't about luck anymore, you really have to live in certain Places to experience the whole thing.

I was there on Tuesday and it spawned a Charizard, an Aerodactyl, a Gyrados,a Dewgong, a Polywrath, on top of all of those others you mentioned plus a bunch more (machop, rhydon, magnemetie, kabutop, magmar, etc). Probably the best hunt I've ever had, no doubt enhanced by the 24/7 lures along a narrow pier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom