• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview in Forbes with Niantic CEO

Doesn't like pokevision exploiting their API etc and says they have other priorities atm however they should expect these tools will stop working at some point in time.

I think I will add to pokemonnearby.io a function to drop messages to other people in the same geographic area either as notes/tips on nests found, or a general side chat. Maybe I can make it useful enough for the day the API stops working.

Chaos17

Another meme, I also think anyone can relate but still make laugh.

Coe93tuWEAA92OU.jpg
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4v01nb/story_of_my_life_with_this_one/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Niantic might not like PokeVision but I personally believe they (and similar tools) are the only thing keeping this game afloat ever since Niantic broke the tracking. The tracker tools preserve the whole social exploration aspect that the game is built upon. Otherwise people would just be walking around randomly instead of congregating at rare spawns.

More accurately, I think we all know what really happens to transferred pidgeys.

kanto_fried_pidgey_by_artistaterra-daaj2gp.png
Heh, well in that case...

omg all these leader comics and other pieces are killing me. XD Even my husband is dying laughing at some. Also should note, poor Spark. Gets no love. LOL
In that case, here's another to enjoy :D
tumblr_oay2kr6sGn1t4df75o1_500.png

(found at http://phlavours.tumblr.com/post/148019050216/what-do-you-mean-this-wont-happen-when-gen-3-is)

Are they going to rebalance CP anytime soon?
CP isn't really the issue, it's just a number generated from comparing the stats of your pokemon together. The real problem is how stupid the attack moves and their distribution between the pokemon are combined with how badly nerfed the typing system is :p I guess the base stats being so divergent is also an issue but it's always been kind of like that throughout the series sadly.

Questions about how pokevision + pokemon go work. I know that cell phones being in an area tends to attract pokemon to start spawning there. I also know that if I ping on pokevision, I can see where pokemon are and sometimes there are areas with zero pokemon.

If me and a few friends go to a place that typically has zero pokemon, does that mean some will start spawning there simply because we are in that area?

I might toss this question on reddit too.

Pokemon have spawn points, I doubt they're affected by the amount of cell phones around them. Pokevision is also pretty worthless unless you're willing to click a few hundred times in a small area to get a halfway accurate readout

Well, even in my hometown, pokevision tend to show maybe 2 or 3 pokemon, but if I have the patience to click a few dozen times around my area, much more will show up. I really find it to be lackluster compared to nearly every other tool of its type, because it fails to work without clicking all over the place, and I know other people have posted similar complaints here.

I use the nearby pokemon tool created by a fellow gaffer, and it's usually a nice, full list no matter where I go.

Edit: yes, pokevision was sparse in that area, but that nearby pokemon list had 10-15 pokemon at all times and led me to three pokemon I hadn't caught which I would have missed had I relied on pokevision alone

If you want a better scan on PC than pokevision and you're not already using the desktop thingy that involves making a second account and stuff then I've found http://trackemon.com/ to be far superior to pokevision at least. It gets many pokemon that pokevision seems to miss, lets you scan more often and does a better job of including other people's scans onto your map too :3

Just random thought I don't get how Dragonair turns into dragonite.
Biggest Dissapointment of Gen 1 for me. It feels like they made dragonite as a seperate thing and decided they wanted it at the end of a line rather than a single evo and the dratini line drew the short straw :/

Oh god yes please. Milotic makes a tonne more sense.

Dragonite is the ultimate troll Pokémon. Dragonair makes you think it's going to evolve into some majestic creature and then it turns into whatever the fuck that is.

I always thought it was based on some legend though
It's based on the legend of barney the dinosaur :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3C9IytrLI

Naudi

Banned
How many 10k eggs does everyone get? I've gotten 7 so far at lvl 17. Snorlax, vaporeon and aerodactyl being my best finds from them. Still got 2 I need to hatch. Wish incubators weren't such a ripoff to buy.

Well I hope they combine a block on their API with an upgrade in functions including bringing back the functioning hints on nearby Pokemon.

I purposely did not design my tracker to let you arbitrarily click around or enter any address, most of the fun is getting out there.

CrazE

Banned
Niantic might not like PokeVision but I personally believe they (and similar tools) are the only thing keeping this game afloat ever since Niantic broke the tracking. The tracker tools preserve the whole social exploration aspect that the game is built upon. Otherwise people would just be walking around randomly instead of congregating at rare spawns.

Completely agree. Fix your tracking steps.. that made the game incredibly fun... and people will start to play it the regular way again.

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/ ... one and done scan
or https://pokemonnearby.io/test.html ... walking version that updates footprints and distances as you walk.

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

h2H6IJq.png

The asterisks indicate rarity from statistics of 10,000+ spawns collected over random locations. The more stars the less frequently that pokemon is seen. All but the legendaries spawn, just some very infrequently.

Why does my phone say this isn't trusted?

Completely agree. Fix your tracking steps.. that made the game incredibly fun... and people will start to play it the regular way again.

As someone who played back when tracking worked I still think it could do with more tweaking that just simply being fixed. One major thing I'd like is either a rough warning that something's about to despawn (e.g. like it starting to flash as it gets into the last minute or something) or some kind of extension to a pokemon's timer when it gets added to a player's tracker for the first time, because trying to reduce a 3 step pokemon to a 2 step could be annoying as heck when you weren't even sure if you'd be able to get to if afterwards before it vanished into the ether :/
That said, getting it working at all would be a good start :p

Well I hope they combine a block on their API with an upgrade in functions including bringing back the functioning hints on nearby Pokemon.

I purposely did not design my tracker to let you arbitrarily click around or enter any address, most of the fun is getting out there.

Your tracker is awesome, much quicker to find nearby rare Pokemon than clicking around on Pokevision

How many 10k eggs does everyone get? I've gotten 7 so far at lvl 17. Snorlax, vaporeon and aerodactyl being my best finds from them. Still got 2 I need to hatch. Wish incubators weren't such a ripoff to buy.

I usually get a 10km every 15 stops or so. I made that number up but it's pretty frequent. Probably after I hatch about 10eggs. One at a time lol

lt519

I'm a sucker for buying incubators. I've hatched 7 at level 20, 4 Eevees, a Snorlax, Lapras, and Omanyte. Have another cooking right now.

number11

I'm level 15 and I now understand all the pokeball problems everyone complains about. I'm tempted to throw away all my potions since I never bother with gyms.

Question about IV's

Why does the perfect percentage drop once you power up a Pokemon? I had an Eevee that was 93% to 95% with only 2 possible combinations. Once I evolved it (Vaporeon), it was exactly 93%. So I decided to power it up with stardust and when I maxed it out and checked back, it's perfect percentage dropped and the prediction is that it will continue to drop in the future. Why is that when it was a solid 93% after evolution?

Are you not supposed to use stardust on a Pokemon? Instead just evolve them and that's it? I'm a level 24 if that matters.

Eevee 669 CP - 78 HP - 3000 Dust (93% to 95%)

Who became...

Vaporeon 1755 CP - 172 HP - 3000 Dust (Exactly 93%)

I then maxed it out to

Vaporeon 2035 CP - 185 HP - 4000 Dust (Now it's 64% to 93%)

Predicitons
25.5 - 90%
26 - 80%
26.5 - 64%

johnsmith

remember me
They really need to buff defending gyms in this game. Attackers get way too many advanges. Better xp, better prestige changes, and 6 v 1. Defending isn't worth it.

Thinking of actually spending money on this.

Are the backback / pokemon storage upgrades worth it? I have been getting the "your backpack is full" message recently so I might get that.

zulux21

Thinking of actually spending money on this.

Are the backback / pokemon storage upgrades worth it? I have been getting the "your backpack is full" message recently so I might get that.

depends on what you want to do.

I mean as long as you keep on top of your pokemon even if you want them all you shouldn't need more pokemon storage.

as for the backpack, if you don't really do gyms you don't need more space at all. if you constantly do gyms you will likely need more space.

Question about IV's

Why does the perfect percentage drop once you power up a Pokemon? I had an Eevee that was 93% to 95% with only 2 possible combinations. Once I evolved it (Vaporeon), it was exactly 93%. So I decided to power it up with stardust and when I maxed it out and checked back, it's perfect percentage dropped and the prediction is that it will continue to drop in the future. Why is that when it was a solid 93% after evolution?

Are you not supposed to use stardust on a Pokemon? Instead just evolve them and that's it? I'm a level 24 if that matters.

Eevee 669 CP - 78 HP - 3000 Dust (93% to 95%)

Who became...

Vaporeon 1755 CP - 172 HP - 2000 Dust (Exactly 93%)

I then maxed it out to

Vaporeon 2035 CP - 185 HP - 4000 Dust (Now it's 64% to 93%)

Predicitons
25.5 - 90%
26 - 80%
26.5 - 64%
Uh... something's wrong with your stats there. Evolving shouldn't change the dust cost as dust cost is based on your pokemon's level not it's species so the 3000 falling to 2000 shouldn't happen :/

CrazE

Banned
To be honest Pokevision works a lot like tracking for me. As in, whenever I go to check it's not working again.

Ha ha ha.. True that. True that.

As someone who played back when tracking worked I still think it could do with more tweaking that just simply being fixed. One major thing I'd like is either a rough warning that something's about to despawn (e.g. like it starting to flash as it gets into the last minute or something) or some kind of extension to a pokemon's timer when it gets added to a player's tracker for the first time, because trying to reduce a 3 step pokemon to a 2 step could be annoying as heck when you weren't even sure if you'd be able to get to if afterwards before it vanished into the ether :/
That said, getting it working at all would be a good start :p

That's a great idea about the despawning and flashing.

Uh... something's wrong with your stats there. Evolving shouldn't change the dust cost as dust cost is based on your pokemon's level not it's species so the 3000 falling to 2000 shouldn't happen :/

Sorry, the just evolved Vaporeon should have read 3000 Dust, not 2000. I got it wrong in my post. I just edited it.

after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/ ... one and done scan
or https://pokemonnearby.io/test.html ... walking version that updates footprints and distances as you walk.

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

h2H6IJq.png

The asterisks indicate rarity from statistics of 10,000+ spawns collected over random locations. The more stars the less frequently that pokemon is seen. All but the legendaries spawn, just some very infrequently.

Cool as this is I can't seem to test it right now. Pokevision is down for me too though so I guess it's to be expected. It looks like a great solution to the issue though versus other trackers.

That's a great idea about the despawning and flashing.
Thankies :3

Sorry, the just evolved Vaporeon should have read 3000 Dust, not 2000. I got it wrong in my post. I just edited it.
Ah, no worries. Odd, I see what you mean about the IVs going screwy for that pokemon. It usually seems to work but not in this case. Might be worth poking the peeps who made the IV calc with your pokemon's stats and let them know so they can take a look :3
(though it's worth noting that a pokemon can only be your level + 1.5 max so those level predictions seem off anyhoo)

edit: on the upside, this IV calc seems to handle your vaporeon ok, though it sadly lacks the abillty to refine selection based on previous: https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/tools/iv-calculator
edit 2: wait... the https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator handles it ok too. Which one are you using? Keep in mind that most 'refine' systems assume you only powered it up once since the last entry

So I'm almost done with my pokedex, just need to evolve Wartortle, Ivysaur, Koffing, Grimer and Gloom and I've done it.

Two questions though,

My question for LA gaf, has anyone consistently found Koffing or Grimer habitats??? These are the two that I just have no clue where to find.

Question for Gaf in general, Do Kangaskhan, Mime and Farfetchd actually hatch from eggs??? Are they really region locked?

Ah, no worries. Odd, I see what you mean about the IVs going screwy for that pokemon. It usually seems to work but not in this case. Might be worth poking the peeps who made the IV calc with your pokemon's stats and let them know so they can take a look :3
(though it's worth noting that a pokemon can only be your level + 1.5 max so those level predictions seem off anyhoo)

edit: on the upside, this IV calc seems to handle your vaporeon ok, though it sadly lacks the abillty to refine selection based on previous: https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/tools/iv-calculator
edit 2: wait... the https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator handles it ok too. Which one are you using? Keep in mind that most 'refine' systems assume you only powered it up once since the last entry
I've been using the Pokémon Go IV Calculator Google Sheet that was on Reddit when the game first launched. You bring up a good point that the system assumes that I've only powered it up once. Next time I'll check after every power up and see what happens. Thanks for the help and insight, I appreciate it.

I've been using the Pokémon Go IV Calculator Google Sheet that was on Reddit when the game first launched. You bring up a good point that the system assumes that I've only powered it up once. Next time I'll check after every power up and see what happens. Thanks for the help and insight, I appreciate it.
Ah, no worries, I use that sheet from time to time. I seem to keep changing my mind about which IV calc to use XD
For the sheet though, make sure you have the latest version as they've updated it a few times :3

gutshot

WTF have you purchased any incubators? I'm level 22 and have had only 1, FeelsBadMan

Because of shameless muppets like me:

bvgPRQW.jpg

You're doing it wrong. So so wrong. Never use a blue incubator on a 2k egg! You're wasting money.

if you use it on a 10k egg it lasts 5 times as longer before it breaks. Hatch 2k eggs with the red incubator. Also, you should hatch all your eggs at the same time and use a lucky egg just before they hatch. I feel so bad looking at that image :(

kirby_fox

Banned
I think that's better than my situation when players try to pretend each other don't exist while playing 1-2 meters away of each other. We don't even make eye contact >.>

You must live in my city...had a good 20-30 people in an area one night and walked into silence. It was so quiet, my friend and me could easily be heard by everyone who was there.

I've walked around on a nearby college campus and had similar experiences. A handful of people will talk to you, but majority don't say shit. I've said more stuff to people but they always tend to take it as being creeps. I gotta hit that Facebook page I'm a part of and see if I can actually meet some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom