• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

So going around I noticed how miserable my pokemon must be for challenging gyms. Just wondering if these are good at all:

606 CP Hypno
578 CP Pidgeot (Barely powered up)
450 CP Gloom (Will the Vileplume be worth the time and effort?)
850 CP Vaporeon
387 CP Beedrill and 343 CP Raticate (Guessing both are shit but I'm just wondering)

Kind of depends what Pokemon and what the Pokemon's CP is currently in the Gyms.

I mean those are kind of low in my experience, most gyms have anything from 800-1300CP where I live. However, since you can use 6 pokemon when challenging a gym, you can just try brute forcing.

If you're in one of the cities with the 2000CP mons then you'll struggle a lot.

Where was that nearby locator created by a GAF member that was very similar to the one in the game again? I don't want to use Pokevision, but there's a Squirtle nearby...

I got you covered :3

Alright folks, for those who wish the Nearby feature was working as intended but don't want to use one of the many pinpoint map apps out there, I hacked this together:

https://kyuur.github.io/nearbypokemon

YrXyowt.png
uumQvBN.jpg

Not sure how it'll hold up with many people accessing, might need to move it to an actual dedicated host and possibly my own CORS proxy (currently uses crossorigin.me to grab the Pokevision data).

Hikami

The maps here in Japan seem to be completely fucked up (roads missing, rivers cut, roads going through buildings, etc..). It didn't happen during the first few days but for the last 3 days it's been there. It doesn't affect gameplay since the spots are in the correct loves, but still... looks terrible and it's hard to know if the spot can be reached or not since the road doesn't show up many times.

Does this happen anywhere else?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4uw93i/what_happened_to_the_base_map_theres_less_detail/

Top comment explains what's probably happening:
It's likely because Google updated their maps: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...-map-design-adds-areas-of-interest-highlight/
The game, remember, relies on Google's map API to populate what you see. So if Google changes their map data, the game will display things differently.
Niantic was at one point a division of Google, but a few years ago split off to become it's own company. Even though Google still owns a sizable chunk of the company, they are not one-in-the-same. Niantic likely wasn't even alerted to the map data being altered before it happened, and even if they had been alerted, there is likely little they could do about it.

So going around I noticed how miserable my pokemon must be for challenging gyms. Just wondering if these are good at all:

606 CP Hypno
578 CP Pidgeot (Barely powered up)
450 CP Gloom (Will the Vileplume be worth the time and effort?)
850 CP Vaporeon
387 CP Beedrill and 343 CP Raticate (Guessing both are shit but I'm just wondering)

Kind of depends what Pokemon and what the Pokemon's CP is currently in the Gyms.

I mean those are kind of low in my experience, most gyms have anything from 800-1300CP where I live. However, since you can use 6 pokemon when challenging a gym, you can just try brute forcing.

If you're in one of the cities with the 2000CP mons then you'll struggle a lot.
I just took down a level 2 gym which included a 1048 or thereabouts Clefable guarding it with just a 799 tentracruel.
Honestly, the species, moves and type vs type almost matter more than the CP unless the gap is huge, as long as you learn to dodge :3
You want your pokemon to ideally have good fast attack with a high DPS and low animation time. Click them on the list I've linked and scroll down to the 'attacks' section to see what you've got vs what you might've got :D
http://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-list
You can ignore the special attack in most cases though as they're usually way too slow to bother with.

Excellent. If you made this thank you so much! The nearby list was lying as usual, there wasn't actually a Squirtle. I can rest easy.
No worries, I didn't make it though, the person I quoted did :3

Yeah, this has been annoying me. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my friend still had all the details on their map but in hindsight they probably had a cached/offline version of the map from before the changes (which apparently fixes this issue, but the only way to do it now would be to go back in time :p )

Note that the details are actually still available but the Pokemon Go API apparently uses the 'driving' level of detail which is now missing all the small stuff. So in theory this is fixable if they just change the detail level to walking or somesuch.

edit: ah fubble, sorry for the back to back posts.

Durden77

No worries, I didn't make it though, the person I quoted did :3

THANK YOU KYUUR FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO ACTUALLT USE THE TRACKER AS INTENDED!

Also of course than you Geminosity. Your name was in my autocorrect, I've probably thanked you for something before hahah.

noob question: what is the write semi-circle on top of a pokemon when you watch his stats ?
That's your pokemon's level relative to the current maximum you can raise them to.
Far left of the arc = level 1, far right of the arc = your trainer level + 1.5 (each 'upgrade' is half a level :D )

THANK YOU KYUUR FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO ACTUALLT USE THE TRACKER AS INTENDED!

Also of course than you Geminosity. Your name was in my autocorrect, I've probably thanked you for something before hahah.
Haha, no worries. I used to be a nuisance on the smash threads fairly regularly ;D

3phemeral

My middle of nowhere gyms have 1800+ Vaporeons. Can't even begin to fight Team Extinct with my 900 Starmie. :(

On the way to Cali from Michigan, I placed a bunch of my strongest mons in remote rest stops. Worked for a like a week since no one wanted to be bothered with fighting a 1900 CP Snorlax. Unfortunately, it did get taken down but the coinage was nice.

Durden77

That's your pokemon's level relative to the current maximum you can raise them to.
Far left of the arc = level 1, far right of the arc = your trainer level + 1.5 (each 'upgrade' is half a level :D )

Haha, no worries. I used to be a nuisance on the smash threads fairly regularly ;D

Ahhh yes I would also call myself a nuisance around the Smash discussion. Musta been it.

Have not had much luck with rare / final evolutions spawning but I am slowly making my way there with candie.

54 Charmander candy / 63 Bulbasaur candy / 60 Squirtle candy / 56 Dratini candy.

Just got enough for a Poliwag to Poliwrath and a Nidoran to Nidoking / queen. Just got to find myself a quality IV Pokemon now!

Red Fire

I see, thanks! Will be hard since gyms seems to change color quick. I guess I'll stick to one or two gyms then claim. Thanks again.

You're welcome buddy!

Yeah it's the same for me, i can claim 1 gym, and very rarely 2 at max before they change color again.

Sometimes if I'm lucky though there are a few gyms conquered by my team that seem to have an open place for me so i don't have to do anything but to drop a poke and travel to the next gym haha

trying to figure out the IV for my blastoise, can someone walk me through it? He's my lower blastoise by the IV calculator says 2-96%. he has hydro pump and water gun so im willing to pour candy into him if i have too. do i just level him up once and recaculate? someone PLZ help me.

trying to figure out the IV for my blastoise, can someone walk me through it? He's my lower blastoise by the IV calculator says 2-96%. he has hydro pump and water gun so im willing to pour candy into him if i have too. do i just level him up once and recaculate? someone PLZ help me.

Yep, power him up once, make sure you've selected "Yes" for power up and then refine.

So with this site: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator

You'd enter details, find IV > Power up in game > input new details and then click refine.

DigtialT

The only way to narrow it down is to power him up yes, but there is no guarantee the number of possible combinations will go down, I've had the opposite happen

Best way to do this is to write down his current stats somewhere handy, also put them into https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator and click 'find IVs' and then give blastie an 'upgrade'.
Once you've done that, write down the new stats so you have them handy and punch them into the IV calc too, then click 'refine'. Repeat ad nauseum until you've happy with the range or crushed by dissapointment :3

The only way to narrow it down is to power him up yes, but there is no guarantee the number of possible combinations will go down, I've had the opposite happen
If you're using the 'refine' feature on poke assistant it should definitely go down.

edit: I really wish there was a way to delete posts so I could've just editted this into my previous post once I realised I'd done another back to back ¬.¬

It's a rare thing when a mobile game makes me get a data plan, but I really need one, I can't keep looking at the rare pokemon come and go like that. I thought my area was nothing but Pidgeys and Zubats but just today I saw:

Tentacruel
Arcanine
Vileplume
Kadabra
Rhydon
Slowbro
Weezing

Yep, power him up once, make sure you've selected "Yes" for power up and then refine.

So with this site: https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator

You'd enter details, find IV > Power up in game > input new details and then click refine.

Best way to do this is to write down his current stats somewhere handy, also put them into https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator and click 'find IVs' and then give blastie an 'upgrade'.
Once you've done that, write down the new stats so you have them handy and punch them into the IV calc too, then click 'refine'. Repeat ad nauseum until you've happy with the range or crushed by dissapointment :3

thanks guys, did all that. the 96% completely dropped off. now the only combinations are 7, 2, and 4%. so im glad you guys told me what to do, looks like hes a bust right?

thanks guys, did all that. the 96% completely dropped off. now the only combinations are 7, 2, and 4%. so im glad you guys told me what to do, looks like hes a bust right?
He won't be useless if his moveset is good, so don't be afraid to storm gyms with him but I'd probably save my stardust for a better one in terms of the long game :p
Also, if you want you can share the stats with us. I like to run other people's pokemon through the various IV calcs I've found to see how consistent they all are XD

He won't be useless if his moveset is good, so don't be afraid to storm gyms with him but I'd probably save my stardust for a better one in terms of the long game :p
Also, if you want you can share the stats with us. I like to run other people's pokemon through the various IV calcs I've found to see how consistent they all are XD

i have 4 blastoise. heres my top CP.

cp1382
HP 82
Power up 3000

zroid

Banned
I think the Silph Road IV calculator can get it 100% without powering up?

but you need to be able to eyeball the position on the CP arc

i have 4 blastoise. heres my top CP.

cp1382
HP 82
Power up 3000
Uhhhh... you sure those are correct? All the IV calcs scream and fall over when I try those (aka says they're invalid stats)

<3

Also, I agree. Dragonair shouldn't turn into what Dragonite is. I love the Dratini -> Dragonair line. Once you get to Dragonite.. fffffuuuu.
I genuinely enjoy a bunch of the fanart these team leaders have spawned :3
(http://homebiscuitskillet.tumblr.co...inch-pokemon-go-leader-phone-charms-show-your)

I wouldn't have any issue with Dragonite if it were it's own single-stage evo rather than the bizarre and tragic end to an otherwise promising evo line, aesthetically :p

Uhhhh... you sure those are correct? All the IV calcs scream and fall over when I try those (aka says they're invalid stats)

I genuinely enjoy a bunch of the fanart these team leaders have spawned :3

(http://homebiscuitskillet.tumblr.co...inch-pokemon-go-leader-phone-charms-show-your)

I wouldn't have any issue with Dragonite if it were it's own single-stage evo rather than the bizarre and tragic end to an otherwise promising evo line, aesthetically :p
Oops my bad. Hp is 98

Muku

That's why I don't like. He's just a ... well he's something. He doesn't feel like he fits with the line. I absolutely love Dratini and Dragonair. Then you get to Dragonite and it's just like "Why?" :( Dragonite wouldn't bother me if he was his own Pokemon. But that awesome line just... dies.

Oops my bad. Hp is 98
Ah, got it, cool :3
Ouch, yeah, even without the refinement it's not pretty IV-wise.

Thing to remember is that while IVs give you an edge, species and moveset trump everything. A 0% perfect IV Blastoise with decent moves will still annihilate over half the other pokemon in the game if their levels are roughly equal :p

That's why I don't like. He's just a ... well he's something. He doesn't feel like he fits with the line. I absolutely love Dratini and Dragonair. Then you get to Dragonite and it's just like "Why?" :( Dragonite wouldn't bother me if he was his own Pokemon. But that awesome line just... dies.
I often wish they'd expand on the whole eviolite thing and maybe allow us to convert a fully evolved pokemon into a stone you can hand to the lower forms that give it all it's stats and abilities, or vica versa of turning lower evos into stones you can give to higher ones to change their appearance to that of the lower one :p

guek

Banned
Got excited, and then let down when I saw the cp

lol, at least you have somewhere to put all that stardust now...

Man, incense is so shitty. It's not worth the cost of buying at all. At this point, I think the only thing I'll spend coins on are lures and incubators.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea^^ and I stopped buying/using incense. waste.

ok guys leveled up my venusaur and got this

Percentage range

87% - 89%

Possible IVs

Level Attack Defence Stamina Percentage perfect
11 14 13 13 89%
11 15 11 13 87%

what am I looking at? looks like he is above average

Yea^^ and I stopped buying/using incense. waste.

ok guys leveled up my venusaur and got this

Percentage range

87% - 89%

Possible IVs

Level Attack Defence Stamina Percentage perfect
11 14 13 13 89%
11 15 11 13 87%

what am I looking at? looks like he is above average
That's... not what I got from checking it based on the picture. It was 0% - 20% for me, but then I don't know what your refined stats are :p

edit: I should probably take the time to warn peeps now but it's well known that starter mons found in the wild have bad IVs. One of the 3 is almost always straight zero. You ideally want ones from eggs to get around this as they don't seem to have this bizarre 'curse'.

ciD_Vain

After complaining about not having a snorlax yet, i almost got 3 of them yesterday! One ran away but the one i hatched was over 1700 CP and 87% perfection. So happy T_T

Ah, got it, cool :3
Ouch, yeah, even without the refinement it's not pretty IV-wise.

Thing to remember is that while IVs give you an edge, species and moveset trump everything. A 0% perfect IV Blastoise with decent moves will still annihilate over half the other pokemon in the game if their levels are roughly equal :p

I often wish they'd expand on the whole eviolite thing and maybe allow us to convert a fully evolved pokemon into a stone you can hand to the lower forms that give it all it's stats and abilities, or vica versa of turning lower evos into stones you can give to higher ones to change their appearance to that of the lower one :p
So I should Basically be looking for badass squirtals and warturtles. Gotcha!

So I should Basically be looking for badass squirtals and warturtles. Gotcha!
Honestly, if you want a lethal IV blastoise you want to hatch a squirtle from an egg. starter line pokemon in the wild tend to have 'cursed' IVs :p

What does the percentage figure I keep seeing mean and how do you determine that?
The game has 3 hidden stats for your pokemon that determine how much health they have, how much damage they do and how much damage inflicted to them is reduced. These 3 hidden stats have 3 hidden bonus values that are randomly generated when your pokemon is 'born' ranging from +0 to +15 which get added to these. The percentage is how close they are to having the maximum bonus for each of the three stats (so if all 3 stats have +15 that's 100%) You can read more about them in the Megafaq linked in the opening post of this thread and there's also a link to a handy IV calculator you can use to try and work out the hidden values right next to it. I've quoted the relevant bits below, but if you ever need to find them again, remember that they're in the first post of the thread :D
If there's anything those don't clear up for you, feel free to ask :3

SpartanN92

Banned
Honestly, if you want a lethal IV blastoise you want to hatch a squirtle from an egg. starter line pokemon in the wild tend to have 'cursed' IVs :p

The game has 3 hidden stats for your pokemon that determine how much health they have, how much damage they do and how much damage inflicted to them is reduced. These 3 hidden stats have 3 hidden bonus values that are randomly generated when your pokemon is 'born' ranging from +0 to +15 which get added to these. The percentage is how close they are to having the maximum bonus for each of the three stats (so if all 3 stats have +15 that's 100%) You can read more about them in the Megafaq linked in the opening post of this thread and there's also a link to a handy IV calculator you can use to try and work out the hidden values right next to it. I've quoted the relevant bits below, but if you ever need to find them again, remember that they're in the first post of the thread :D

If there's anything those don't clear up for you, feel free to ask :3

Awesome!!! Thank you so much!

TheFlow

Banned
That's... not what I got from checking it based on the picture. It was 0% - 20% for me, but then I don't know what your refined stats are :p

edit: I should probably take the time to warn peeps now but it's well known that starter mons found in the wild have bad IVs. One of the 3 is almost always straight zero. You ideally want ones from eggs to get around this as they don't seem to have this bizarre 'curse'.

this was after I leveled up to 799 cp. haha the value shot up

now my venusaur is

cp:799
Hp:76
powerup:1300
https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/tools/iv-calculator#3,799,76,1300,2

yea looks like I broke the curse, and got lucky.

Dominator

A Dragonair popped up in my radar, I run out the door to go find it cause I haven't seen one yet. I find it and it's cp28...

Oh well, at least it was an addition to the Pokedex.

this was after I leveled up to 799 cp. haha the value shot up

now my venusaur is

cp:799
Hp:76
powerup:1300
Ok, so I guess I better explain how this works.
When you use a calculator the optimal way to get results is to enter the values before you do anything to get a starting range. This range will usually be fairly wide but the important thing to know is that no matter what, the values of your actual pokemon will not get better or worse than this unless there's a fault with the calculator or you entered something wrong, no matter how much you upgrade it.
Once you've done this you then write the values down somewhere so you don't lose them, punch in the new values after you evolve or power up your pokemon ONCE (no more or it won't work) and then click the 'refine' button. What this does is looks at the new possiblities and discards any that weren't in the original batch because ultimately this is a process of elimination. You continue this process until there's only one possibility, you're happy enough with the ones in the range you have or you've decided that the possibilities in the range are so abysmal you've kind of given up :p

What I suspect you've done is you've clicked on 'find IVs' on each entry which means it's treating it as a brand new monster each time which means it has less data to go on than if you'd refined it. I'm afraid it's highly unlikely that your venusaur has IVs better than 20% based on what you started with :/

edit: Looking at the possibilities I think you're likely stuck at 9%, but I'm basing that off the fact that almost all starter line pokemon found in the wild usually have one of their IVs set to zero.

TheFlow

Banned
Ok, so I guess I better explain how this works.
When you use a calculator the optimal way to get results is to enter the values before you do anything to get a starting range. This range will usually be fairly wide but the important thing to know is that no matter what, the values of your actual pokemon will not get better or worse than this unless there's a fault with the calculator or you entered something wrong, no matter how much you upgrade it.
Once you've done this you then write the values down somewhere so you don't lose them, punch in the new values after you evolve or power up your pokemon ONCE (no more or it won't work) and then click the 'refine' button. What this does is looks at the new possiblities and discards any that weren't in the original batch because ultimatley this is a process of elimination. You continue this process until there's only one possibility, you're happy enough with the ones in the range you have or you've decided that the possibilities in the range are so abysmal you've kind of given up :p

What I suspect you've done is you've clicked on 'find IVs' on each entry which means it's treating it as a brand new monster each time which means it has less data to go on than if you'd refined it. I'm afraid it's highly unlikely that your venusaur has IVs better than 20% based on what you started with :/

edit: Looking at the possibilities I think you're likely stuck at 9%, but I'm basing that off the fact that almost all starter line pokemon found in the wild usually have one of their IVs set to zero.
Nah I refined it. All I did was change the numbers after each power up to calculate. I trust the site that I used so I will stick with the 89 venusaur :p but Ty for your input lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom