• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went on an hour long walk in the country, not a single Pokémon.
Yeah it's unfortunate. It's not worth opening the app when you aren't near a population center. I live in the suburbs where the pickings are slim. I went into the city last night and more than tripled the amount of Pokémon I have captured.

egruntz

shelaughz
Finally hatched my first 10km egg that I got... And it's a fucking 109 cp eevee. Goddamn.

I think I'm done going out of my way to hatch eggs for a while.

What you should be doing is stocking up on 10K/5K eggs. Just let the 2K eggs come as they come and use your infinite incubator to hatch them. Once you have all 9 10K/5K, use 9 incubators at once and walk a single distance of 10K/5K. (If you have a mix, start the 10K ones first and then start the 5K ones at the halfway point of the first batch.)

At the end of that 10k or 5K walk, all your eggs open at once. Pop a lucky egg before for best benefit.

adamy

Banned
had a kabutops show up on my tracker, realized 3 footprint bug was in effect so instantly popped an incense and started walking

couldn't find the kabutops but ain't even mad given that it caused me to run into this guy...

image.png

sophora

Woah nice catch Adamy. Really can't wait till they add the Johto pokemon just for the change in variety. Probably won't be till the holidays though, least I hope it happens then haha.

Acerac

Banned
I still can't believe how ubiquitous this game is. If somebody hasn't played it, they've almost certainly heard of it.

I also love how much this seems to annoy many "hardcore" gamers. The seething anger from some members of this community when it comes to this game has taken me aback a few times.

Ashodin

Ahhhh yeah there's a center of THIRTEEN (!) pokestops in the town just 15 minutes over. You can walk to each of them within the span of ten minutes easy and get them all and walk a never ending zigzag through them for items and loot. There were lures just popping off everywhere there. I caught so many awesome things!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I still can't believe how ubiquitous this game is. If somebody hasn't played it, they've almost certainly heard of it.

I also love how much this seems to annoy many "hardcore" gamers. The seething anger from some members of this community when it comes to this game has taken me aback a few times.
What really? Why would it make people mad?

Anyway, just got back from the cluster of 10 pokestops around a church near my home. There were about 50 to 100 people circling in cars or walking around with their phones. Minor compared to other stories, but still cool. Sadly, even with all the lures, there wasn't anything special to catch. I did hatch a 10km egg for an onix.

adamy

Banned
Woah nice catch Adamy. Really can't wait till they add the Johto pokemon just for the change in variety. Probably won't be till the holidays though, least I hope it happens then haha.

As happy I should be, I still wish I caught that damn kabutops. First I've ever had show up on my tracker.

Also hatched this while on my walk:

image.png

Acerac

Banned
What really? Why would it make people mad?
It doesn't have the gameplay depth of the main series, nor the variety in music or monsters.

Many just don't understand why a game built around going out and interacting with real humans can be more fun than a carefully constructed campaign, but it seems many prefer interacting with people over npcs.

Hycran

Banned
Can someone explain how stardust leveling works?

I just got a Jynx from a 10k egg, and it seems like a pretty good idea to pump 600 stardust per 25 cp up until I run out because then I would be able to kill vaporeons. That being said, I doubt the stardust amount is linear and its not clear if its random or not, if anyone could give some advice that would be great.

ironmang

It doesn't have the gameplay depth of the main series, nor the variety in music or monsters.

Many just don't understand why a game built around going out and interacting with real humans can be more fun than a carefully constructed campaign, but it seems many prefer interacting with people over npcs.

Well it's also free and on a device most people already own.

adamy

Banned
Can someone explain how stardust leveling works?

I just got a Jynx from a 10k egg, and it seems like a pretty good idea to pump 600 stardust per 25 cp up until I run out because then I would be able to kill vaporeons. That being said, I doubt the stardust amount is linear and its not clear if its random or not, if anyone could give some advice that would be great.

You talking about stardust requirements as you power up a Pokemon? They go up exponentially the higher your pokemons cp is. Candy requirement goes up too

Jblanks

Damn looks like me Galaxy S3 isn't good enough to run it, it's not even in the Play Store, and when I search through the browser it says the device isn't compatible with the app. I had the APK version, but I'm guessing I'll never be able to update it with this version. I have the required update on my phone, but not enough RAM.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Holy crap, my hatched onix barely topped 200cp and it's pretty close to the end of the rainbow... did they make it weak cause it's gonna gonna eventually get an evolution? Cheap.

trugs26

Damn looks like me Galaxy S3 isn't good enough to run it, it's not even in the Play Store, and when I search through the browser it says the device isn't compatible with the app. I had the APK version, but I'm guessing I'll never be able to update it with this version. I have the required update on my phone, but not enough RAM.

I have a Galaxy S3 as well, which only had Android 4.3. I think required version is 4.4. I ended up installing a custom ROM (which has Android 6.0.1) and manually installing the APK. Works pretty good for me now.

eh, that phone was released 4 years ago in 2012? that's practically ancient in smartphone standards. picking up something that can run the game should be trivial, but you'll probably have to look to someone other than samsung.

Here is how the Bean at Millennium Park was for the event. So many people playing and having a blast. That gym is where the bean is located. It was surrounded by team instinct players singing the Pokemon theme when they successfully defended their gym.
FPc3t4J.jpg

Pretty sure people on Reddit have it working.

ahdurian

in Toronto (Canada), we're overflooded with Drowzees. literally 8/10 wild Pokemon you find are Drowzees, especially in the suburbs. last 2/10 either being a Pidgey or Rattata

What Pokemon is overrunning your city, if any?

Jblanks

I have a Galaxy S3 as well, which only had Android 4.3. I think required version is 4.4. I ended up installing a custom ROM (which has Android 6.0.1) and manually installing the APK. Works pretty good for me now.
Yea I can run the APK, but like I said in the future when the game gets updated I'm guessing the APK file won't be getting the update.
eh, that phone was released 4 years ago in 2012? that's practically ancient in smartphone standards. picking up something that can run the game should be trivial, but you'll probably have to look to someone other than samsung.
Yea if I had a spare few hundred dollars, it wouldn't be a problem.
Pretty sure people on Reddit have it working.

Yea with APK, which I have but was looking at getting the legit version which could be updated in the future.

adamy

Banned
Man...Blastoise broke free and ran away from a berry + ultra ball + excellent throw.

Once you get higher level shit gets wacky

I have pidgeys break out of great ball + berry + excellent throw

Also had charmeleon take +30 ultra balls while Charizard took 2 ultra balls

Lucumo

Once you get higher level shit gets wacky

I have pidgeys break out of great ball + berry + excellent throw

Also had charmeleon take +30 ultra balls while Charizard took 2 ultra balls

Or do it like me and catch a 655 CP Jynx immediately with just a Pokeball. Not like the circle was a darker orange anyway.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Really wanted to go out hunting/run past the usual Pokestops, but after a few failed attempts to connect just left it until whenever servers stabilise, hopefully tomorrow.

lt519

Just got back from a 5k walk. Hatched a Charmander, Squirtle, Sandshrew, Pidgey, and Ratatta. Have two 10ks about ready to go. Caught an Abra (my third, including an egg so I evolved to a Kadabra). Some Taurus and Jynx but mostly me repeats. No Gastly tonight which is kind of bizarre. Only need to catch 7 more to evolve my Haunter.

Lot of people out. A group asked me what gym and they booed when I said Instinct. Promptly took the nearest gym to prove a point.

Edit: and the servers were perfect for me for the last two hours. It really calmed down. I hope they get it together and fix the tracking soon.

mkenyon

Banned
in Toronto (Canada), we're overflooded with Drowzees. literally 8/10 wild Pokemon you find are Drowzees, especially in the suburbs. last 2/10 either being a Pidgey or Rattata

Pidgey>Rattata>Nidoran/Nidorina>Venonat.

fisheyes

My local area is Cubone, Growlithe, Sandshrew. I only caught my first Drowzee by going somewhere else on the weekend.

I love reading people complaining about never seeing [Pokemon X]because they have too much [Pokemon Y] and others complaining their area is the opposite.

Jintor

don't think japan is live, at least the actual go servers. might be up on the store but i'm not dinging any pokemon or stops

Lucumo

Damn, lost a Magmar. Shouldn't have reset the app twice but it keeps showing 9 Pokemon around, despite there actually only 2-3 being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom