• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Possibly a soft ban? Try a PokeStop or try to battle a gym. If you can't then yeah. Or servers are just really crappy.
If they're breaking out of the ball and running, they're just having a bad run with the RNG. At higher CPs, the Pokémon are much more likely to run, and certain Pokémon seem to be more prone to running than others.

Sat at home, radar shows 2 onyx, 1 of the evolved flower Pokémon (no idea what it's called), a few eevee's and an abra - so I pop an intense.

4 pigdey's and 2 weedle's show up.

Dam this game.
Lures and incense don't attract Pokémon that have already spawned towards you or the Pokéstop. It only increases the spawn rate of new Pokémon around you or the Pokéstop.

If you see Pokémon on the Nearby, then it's already spawned and you have to physically move to their location to encounter them. What level are you, BTW?

Sat at home, radar shows 2 onyx, 1 of the evolved flower Pokémon (no idea what it's called), a few eevee's and an abra - so I pop an insense.

4 pigdey's and 2 weedle's show up.

Dam this game.

I don't think incense lure nearby Pokes. I think they just spawn random ones lol. IDK tho.

If they're breaking out of the ball and running, they're just having a bad run. At higher CPs, the Pokémon are much more likely to run, and certain Pokémon seem to be more prone to running than others.

Nah this isnt a bad run. No way in hell a 10 cp pokemon is breaking out almost instantly out of an ultra ball and raspberry combo. Why the fuck would they be doing any kind of bans when their servers cant even stay up for more then five minutes.

Selner

Went down to Baltimore Inner Harbor for afternoon, with the family.

The whole place was crazy with lures. I managed catch a few Tentacools when I had a few minutes. We were there to look at sharks, not Pokemon :).

It was like 100 degrees in the sun though, so hopefully the folks out catching found some shade.

Biske

I don't think incense lure nearby Pokes. I think they just spawn random ones lol. IDK tho.

This is true, incense just spawns random pokes for you. The amount of times I've been in a pokemon go crowd and someone is like 'oh my god a ____" and everyone gets excited only to find nothing and the guy says "im using an incense..."

Chaos17

Cross posting in case some of you are near a children hospital

dcWcf0E.jpg

MisterHero

Nah this isnt a bad run. No way in hell a 10 cp pokemon is breaking out almost instantly out of an ultra ball and raspberry combo. Why the fuck would they be doing any kind of bans when their servers cant even stay up for more then five minutes.
Some wild Pokémon are way more aggressive than others. I wonder if that transfers into ownership at all.

hirokazu

Anything can happen with an RNG, that's just how probability works. Maybe moreso when the RNG isn't completely random. But why are you using a berry and ultraball on a 10CP Pokémon?

Walpurgis

Banned
Can the game vibrate to notify me about nearby Pokemons when I have it open but minimised on Android? Like if I'm playing the game but start browsing the internet on my phone (with the game running in the background).

Does anyone know if vicinity to Pokestop increases the encounter rate because there is a Pokestop right next to my house (I can't access it from inside but it's just round the corner, less than a 30 second walk) and I seem to have a lot of Pokemon spawn while I'm just sat in my room, but I was at my Uni house earlier, which isn't anywhere near as close to Pokestop and I was finding nothing while sat there?

egruntz

shelaughz
So does anyone have an explanation of what combat power (CP) actually means? The power of the Pokemon's attack never increases. What does powering up a Pokemon actually do? Does it make them quicker in the battles? Take less damage? More HP?

Also in the end all the walking this morning wasn't wasted, despite crappy ass servers. Finally got to hatch all 9+ of my Pokemon, seems they were restored. Lucky egg popped and evolved around 35 Pokemon too. Level 17 and 1/2 now. Catching up with the rest of the world. Gotta do more Pidgey runs though.

Level 1055 Arcanine and Level 1022 Vaporeon are my highest right now.

Zzoram

Has anyone figured out a way to play this with a wifi-only ipad? Apparently wifi iPads don't have gps but location services gives a rough idea of your location.

I was just wondering if you go to a cafe with wifi that is a Pokestop for example, would you be able to interact with it?

Got an Electabuzz from a 10k egg, he looks cool

Attacked my first gym, took down 3 Mons and had nothing left for the gym leader......do the enemy Pokemon heal after they beat me or would they still be weak and easy pickings if I attacked again?

Chaos17

Can the game vibrate to notify me about nearby Pokemons when I have it open but minimised on Android? Like if I'm playing the game but start browsing the internet on my phone (with the game running in the background).

Nope.
You will have to buy this in the futur when it will come back in sale if you want to stop holding our phone.

TZyFxmB.png

aza

Ok WTF is going on? Used an incense and every pokemon is coming out after one shake and running away instantly. Been like five in a row now.

This happened to me yesterday, too! Used incense as a passenger on a car ride, catching went fine for about my first 5 or 6 Pokes. Every Pokémon I tried to catch afterwards fled instantly. Went through 10-15 Pokes with no luck. In fact, I wasn't able to catch any more until my incense ended.

Might be a real bug worth escalating to Niantic.

This happened to me yesterday, too! Used incense as a passenger on a car ride, catching went fine for about my first 5 or 6 Pokes. Every Pokémon I tried to catch afterwards fled almost instantly. Went through 10-15 Pokes with no luck. In fact, I wasn't able to catch any more until my incense ended.

Might be a real bug worth escalating to Niantic.

Yea same shit as me. Passenger in the car and I couldnt catch anything until i got home and the incense finally ran out. Maybe the speed in the car was too fast for the game since we were on the highway.

Limit

I have a question for people with latest and greatest android smartphones. I have an S5 and I believe it's 2gb RAM is hindering me from being able to have the GO app and listen to a podcast at the same time. So those of you with 3 - 4GB RAM phones are you able to run a second music app in the background with no issues?

Jonbo298

Set aside the opinions of Keemstar himself. Video was uploaded with an interview from someone in Poodle Corp talking about Pokemon Go. https://youtu.be/4YdExVnVdJI starts around 2 minutes in. Confirms they're using a botnet to DDoS and also a threat saying they will take Pokemon Go down all day on August 1st.

Jims

Me and my girlfriend decided to challenge a gym together for the first time tonight. We were able to both take it down and neutralize it. We were fumbling around with our revives and potions, and someone claimed it before we could leave something. We looked around, and it didn't seem like anyone was nearby. Weird.

Then she points and we see a couple people parked in a black car with dark-tinted windows. They left a 1100+ Vaporeon and sped away. I had a 600CP Jolteon, but didn't bother trying. Whatever.

I think we saw the real world Team Rocket tonight.

Has anyone figured out a way to play this with a wifi-only ipad? Apparently wifi iPads don't have gps but location services gives a rough idea of your location.

I was just wondering if you go to a cafe with wifi that is a Pokestop for example, would you be able to interact with it?

I believe it should still work. I'll try to do some testing at home and tether my iPad to my phone and see if I can travel with it lol.

I have a question for people with latest and greatest android smartphones. I have an S5 and I believe it's 2gb RAM is hindering me from being able to have the GO app and listen to a podcast at the same time. So those of you with 3 - 4GB RAM phones are you able to run a second music app in the background with no issues?
I can listen to Google Play and play Go at the same time on my LG G4 without issue.

n64coder

Nope, you need a real GPS in your iPad. So my cellular iPad Air 2 works but not the WiFi only iPad 2.

ash321

Yea same shit as me. Passenger in the car and I couldnt catch anything until i got home and the incense finally ran out. Maybe the speed in the car was too fast for the game since we were on the highway.
Nah, I just pop incense on car, and we were on highway. I caught them like normal.

Selner

Speed Jail in Ingress was around 20 mph. Over that and you can't interact with Portals, collect XM or even use XM to charge Portals.

I've heard that you can start the capture battle at a low speed, then accelerate and win the battle at high speed. But if the mon breaks out, it runs away.

But if you're over 20, no Pokestops for you.

Yes. The gist is that you need to "refresh" your location approximately every 20 seconds by tabbing out of the game - double tap the circle button, then tap once more to re-enter the game. This helps prevent the GPS error, and doing this right before "clicking" on a Pokémon will extend your time limit to catch one (as in, time limit before a GPS error pops up). If you do get a GPS error while you are in capture mode, your Poké Ball can freeze (can't be touched or moved), and you have to reset the app to fix that. Close the app and reload it if this happens.

Also, constantly refreshing your GPS location with the tabbing method does move your trainer slightly, even if you aren't physically moving, which can help the bedbound, agoraphobic, or otherwise disabled gamer. (Of course, they might also maddeningly walk entirely the wrong direction as well!)

The biggest two tips I wish I had known before beginning:

1) Pinch your map so your trainer is tiny, this extends your range in which a Pokémon can be selected for capture mode without you having to move around a lot.

2) Throw the ball into the moving/contracting circle. It is easier when it is bigger if you have a lot of latency problems. This can net you a small bonus to capture it and a bit of EXP.

And a freebie tip: if you don't go to/live near any Poké Stops, you will run out of balls eventually. It happened to me today at level 7.

Joco

Finally hatched my first 10km egg that I got... And it's a fucking 109 cp eevee. Goddamn.

I think I'm done going out of my way to hatch eggs for a while.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Just reached level 20!

Wished there was more variety of pokemon around my house though. I also hope they fix the 3 step bug soon. Was not able to hunt a Charmander because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom