• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

Hardly seems like a reason to dislike the game.

My response was to your comment about the popularity of the game. It's not just people having more fun with this than they would with a regular pokemon game. I agree it's a great game if you live in a city. For rural players such as myself you're limited to driving to lured pokestop clusters or spoofing lol.

Bass260

in Toronto (Canada), we're overflooded with Drowzees. literally 8/10 wild Pokemon you find are Drowzees, especially in the suburbs. last 2/10 either being a Pidgey or Rattata

What Pokemon is overrunning your city, if any?

I'm in Toronto as well, in North York. Can confirm the amount of Drowzees are INSANE. I've caught more Drowzees than Pidgey and Ratata combined. It's come to the point where I skip them since I already have a Hypno and an infinite amount of Drowzee candies.

Saya

I wonder if this game also led to a surge in mobile phone sales... Perhaps a lot of people thought this could be a great moment to upgrade their phone.

thaOwner

Today was a pretty good day. Got a Magamar from a 10K egg. Caught a Dragonair, Gengar, Snorlax. Caught a slowbro last night as well.

AqTaH2r.jpg

in Toronto (Canada), we're overflooded with Drowzees. literally 8/10 wild Pokemon you find are Drowzees, especially in the suburbs. last 2/10 either being a Pidgey or Rattata

I'm in Toronto as well, in North York. Can confirm the amount of Drowzees are INSANE. I've caught more Drowzees than Pidgey and Ratata combined. It's come to the point where I skip them since I already have a Hypno and an infinite amount of Drowzee candies.

Also Toronto, goddamn Drowzees everywhere. Also tons of Squirtles and Ghastlys around my neighbourhood for some reason. Not enough Magikarps... I'm never gonna get my Gyarados :'(

Acerac

Banned
My response was to your comment about the popularity of the game. It's not just people having more fun with this than they would with a regular pokemon game. I agree it's a great game if you live in a city. For rural players such as myself you're limited to driving to lured pokestop clusters or spoofing lol.

Oh I see, you must have meant to quote my previous post, as the one you quoted was covering why people were upset at the game.

Happens, I've quoted the wrong post before myself. ^^;

I wonder if this game also led to a surge in mobile phone sales... Perhaps a lot of people thought this could be a great moment to upgrade their phone.

Anecdotal evidence...a young girl at work told me her mother wanted to get a smart phone just to play the damn game.

I don't know that I've ever heard that out of anyone's mouth before in terms of mobile games. Apps yes, and gmaps etc. But never a very specific game catering to older audiences.

TheExodu5

Banned
Drowzy's are everywhere in Ottawa. It's ridiculous.

Still haven't really caught anything rare. Only rare find today after 8 hours of being outside was a Hitmonlee.

Level 16 now.

I was with a friend who just hit level 27 and has a 2100 CP Gyrados. Insane.

ironmang

Oh I see, you must have meant to quote my previous post, as the one you quoted was covering why people were upset at the game.

Happens, I've quoted the wrong post before myself. ^^;

It doesn't have the gameplay depth of the main series, nor the variety in music or monsters.

Many just don't understand why a game built around going out and interacting with real humans can be more fun than a carefully constructed campaign, but it seems many prefer interacting with people over npcs.

I was responding to the bolded. Not a mistake.

I'm one of em. Have a Moto G4 from Amazon coming in on Tuesday. My current phone won't run PGo very well. I was looking to upgrade my phone anyways but this game definitely made me pull the trigger earlier.

hirokazu

The gym going to neutral is such bad design. Especially because most times you are using your strongest Pokemon to take the gym so you need to revive or heal them up after you've defeated it before you can put one in there. You're stuck with either having to assign a weaker Pokemon to the gym or just hoping no one takes it while you heal up your Pokemons. It should lock the gym for a couple mins after you've defeated it, giving you plenty of time to place a Pokemon in there.
It's fine. What if multiple people are fighting the gym at the same time? First come, first served. Come prepared, and don't use the Pokémon you intend to install in the gym.

When you accidently evolve a Pokémon you were trying to transfer.......

I might sound crazy but...I haven't seen a Magikarp in a while :( I got like 180~ to go.

ironmang

When you accidently evolve a Pokémon you were trying to transfer.......

I might sound crazy but...I haven't seen a Magikarp in a while :( I got like 180~ to go.

Ya I really wish transfer was like the first option and didn't require the scrolldown. My 5s starts getting overheated quick and it makes transferring a bunch in a row impossible.

While there's a lot of Drowzees and Zubats in Edinburgh, there's a pretty crazy mix of just about everything else thrown in. I found a Gastly 'fishing spot' just down the street, there's eevees spawning SOMEWHERE near me fairly regularly, clefairies, pidgies, I found a growlithe down the road, a jynx up the road, there's pikachus, charmanders, caterpies and wheezing a few streets over and I can go to water of leith not too far from where I live to catch all kinds of water pokemon (I found a dratini on the bridge :D ), etc.

Makes me wonder why some people are only finding 2 or 3 types exclusively in their areas :eek:

mishakoz

I'm lvl 21 now and I have yet to catch anything super interesting. Best ive seen is an aerodactyl that I lost due to server issues.

Other than that it's been all basic forms, all my eggs have been Pokemon I already have, haven't received a 10km egg from a stop in awhile.

Still having fun building my pidgey farm but give me something cool to catch.

#wantadragonite

Alphahawk

Do you need a constant Internet connection to play this game?

Yeah, it had to be played on niantics servers. However the game does not seem to use much data per hour as one would expect. I believe someone on Reddit noted that his Firefox app was a bigger data hog than Go.

Acerac

Banned
I was responding to the bolded. Not a mistake.

Oh. That was a statement about why people are in disagreement about the quality of the game, not the popularity of it. ^^;

Perhaps my words were not easy enough to interpret. We will say it was me who made the mistake for not being clear enough, would that suffice? After all, following a quote chain can often be an annoying process, and I should recognize that not everyone will be willing to do so.

Apologies. ;3

_woLf

Yeah, go drink alcohol instead of walking around and exercising!

God Bless America.

Walked 10+ miles today around Seattle and Bellevue, SO many people out playing the game. Caught some good rares, Ponyta, Dratini, Kadabra, voltorbs, saw an Aerodactyl but game froze :(

hirokazu

Do you need a constant Internet connection to play this game?
Yes. Almost all the glitches, hangs, and crashes in this game are due to unreliable communication with the server whether the servers are too busy or the connection is unstable. Everything is done on the server, the app mostly acts like a terminal computer to the mainframe... and it doesn't gracefully handle communication problems at all.

Poona

Haven't found a single Drowzee, where I am in Australia, or anywhere in my journeys.

I'm flooded with Doduo in Doncaster East (suburb just a bit further out from Melbourne CBD).

hirokazu

Yeah, it had to be played on niantics servers. However the game does not seem to use much data per hour as one would expect. I believe someone on Reddit noted that his Firefox app was a bigger data hog than Go.
Yeah, from what I can see, the only significant data it uses is to download map data that it it doesn't have cached, as well as the 3D model and sound data for Pokémon the first time you encounter them. Apart from that, just the images for the Pokéstops.

If you just hang around one area, you're not looking to download too much map data.

Ninferno

I heard that if you don't want your home/building to be a Pokestop or gym, you can contact Niantic to delist your location, right? I understand he/her frustration, and I do agree people should not have invaded his/her privacy, but there's a better way to directly deal with the problem, no?

rc213

Had the day free, Decided to hit up downtown for a bit with some friends. Ended bar crawling a bit while playing Pokemon Go. Pretty great bumping into all types of people out playing in small groups.

Only sad part was when the server's/app decided crash lock the app and I missed out on 3 Pokemon I don't have that had ??? Instead and one that was more than double the highest attack one I have. Walked about 8Km...

ironmang

Oh. That was a statement about why people are in disagreement about the quality of the game, not the popularity of it. ^^;

Perhaps my words were not easy enough to interpret. We will say it was me who made the mistake for not being clear enough, would that suffice? After all, following a quote chain can often be an annoying process, and I should recognize that not everyone will be willing to do so.

Apologies. ;3

Didn't really need to follow a quote train to respond to a standalone statement. Clearly you were talking about quality but I was just saying that's not the only reason people prefer it to going out, buying a 3ds and pokemon, and playing that version. Nobody made a mistake. No need for apologies hahah.

So is leveling up worth it, or not worth the hassle? The upside is a higher CP for battling, but the downside seems to be a significant increase in difficulty in catching all things?

So is leveling up worth it, or not worth the hassle? The upside is a higher CP for battling, but the downside seems to be a significant increase in difficulty in catching all things?

I would say, if you just like collecting then take your time. There's no real rush to level unless you want to prepare for possible PvP.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I used Best Results to begin with and there was nothing.

Only went to Developer tools because nothing else is working.

What other examples can I use besides Google Maps?

Edit - High Accuracy is my "Best" available setting I can use.
I meant high accuracy, you can also try gps only. I only said not to use google maps cause it'll get your location with just cell tower guesstimation. Try google maps with only gps on and see if you still get your location.

I heard that if don't want you home/building to be a Pokestop or gym, you can contact Niantic to delist your location, right? I understand he/her frustration, and I do agree people should not have invaded his/her privacy, but there's a better way to directly deal with the problem, no?

Yes, but that would require looking up the proper procedure for getting your home delisted, assuming that it was even a pokestop/gym in the first place (maybe they just live close to one). Not that they shouldn't try anyways, but I can understand how some wouldn't know enough or think it through enough to do so. Plus, even as someone who plays the game a lot, I couldn't tell you how long it would take for Niantic to actually remove the location from their database, or even how long it would take for them to get back to you about your initial request. A funny "get off my lawn" sign might actually be more immediately effective.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Pittsburgh, PA. Drowzee is a citywide epidemic at this point. I feel the plight of my Toronto brothers and sisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom