• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we're getting Option C:

It's broken, let's take it out. We may or may not fix it. Let's also not tell anyone what's happening while we're at it.

Sorry, I meant to cover your "option C" by saying something like "if these features never come back then fair enough, that's pretty shit, but it's a bit early to see that," I must have forgotten to put it in my post.

A) It's broken, let's take it out while we fix it.

B) It's broken, let's leave it broken while we fix it.

You're saying you'd prefer option B? If these features never come back then fair enough, that's pretty shit, but it's a bit early to see that.

Saying that, the battery saver always worked fine for me although I was never particularly convinced it did much to save the battery.

How about option C

"we have made millions and millions off of this, lets fix it now"

Love how you make it seem that wasnt even an option. Just you watch, they will bring out more microtransactions before bringing tracker and battery saver back.

quote me on it.

Mobile will never change

How about option C

"we have made millions and millions off of this, lets fix it now"

Well yeah that's fair enough but I'm assuming that if it was that easy to fix, they'd do it. I expect they're trying to fix it, but then I tend away from overreaction and hyperbole where possible.

It's not like they're trying to make the app as shitty as possible just for lols, despite what posts in this thread today would have you believe.

Chaos17

Who's idea is it to NOT use their social media?
Are they so broke they can't afford to spend 30 minutes a day on twitter or/and Facebook telling their audience what the fuck is going on?

Well, it's easy to connect the dots if you've been following the thread.
Niantic removed today a feature because they wanted to block 3rd party locator/radars and it's working.
Now, they've to found a way to secure their server to avoid this in the futur until then they won't put it back.

Before it was logic that they removed it because of the unsatble servers now they completly remove it because of cheaters.
I hope they will ban soon all those gps cheaters too.

Edit: I'm not defending them, I also dislike they removed that feature.

Chinner

Banned
After update:

ReHLlj4.jpg
Woweeee

Well yeah that's fair enough but I'm assuming that if it was that easy to fix, they'd do it. I expect they're trying to fix it, but then I tend away from overreaction and hyperbole where possible.

It's not like they're trying to make the app as shitty as possible just for lols, despite what posts in this thread today would have you believe.

No, but i truly do believe they are trying to do the absolute bare minimum/ spend the least amount, to just have the game work well enough to accept your credit cards.

Mobile man

Gameplay will ALWAYS be secondary

dity

Honestly it feels like people are letting outrage mode get to their head and they're finally noticing what Pokemon are around them (rather than eying one and looking just for it) and how many balls they waste trying to catch something.

Oh, and the text in gyms showing the Pokemon's name and CP is all blurry now. That's a legit confirmable bug right there.

Well, it's easy to connect the dots if you've been following the thread.
Niantic removed today a feature because they wanted to block 3rd party locator/radars and it's working.
Now, they've to found a way to secure their server to avoid this in the futur until then they won't put it back.

Before it was logic that they removed it because of the unsatble servers now they completly remove it because of cheaters.
I hope they will ban soon all those gps cheaters too.

I got no issue with them trying to make people play it correctly, I'm all for that.
But is their new update making the list more accurate?
Because as of yesterday number 2 in the list was 3/4 of a mile away for me and number 3 in the list was in my garden.
Their tracking list is total shit and not fun.

Well it worked fine at first, then it didn't. It seems many think that's because they effectively disabled it to ease server load.

That's been definitively proven to be wrong though. The servers never stopped sending the appropriate data (which is why people have been able to make their own footstep trackers), the app's just not handling it correctly for some reason.

The reasoning doesn't make much sense anyway. The server knows where both you are and any spawned Pokémon are at all times and it's still sending the app location of each nearby Pokémon just the same, so unless they're constantly running distance calculations on the servers themselves (which would make no sense since a background process in the app can do that just fine) there's no data to cut down on.

Koh

I hoped they'd at least fixed the pokemon-dont-drop-out-of-the-nearby-list glitch when they removed the footprints.

The list is useless after 15 mins of walking. You could be chasing down something that's been gone for a while.

Devil

Soooo it seems like I still have no idea how some things work in this game.

I'm only lvl 6 so far, but how the hell do I train my Mons or get them to compete in a gym? My best ones are getting destroyed with a single attack. The trainers there are all ten times stronger.

Also, people in here are using some external stuff like radars to finde Pokemon, how does that work? I always thought the Pokemon are not actually hidden in a specific location but that they appear rather tandomly when you are within a certain range (shown by that menu in the bottom right corner). There was something that looked liked Gastly yesterday in my area but it never appeared :(

The Cowboy

That's it for me, got to level 21 with 106 different Pokémon, but with the nearby tracker being useless and now not being able to use a mobile alternative until its fixed (if its ever actually fixed), or even something as simple as pokenotify (to notify of a decent nearby Pokémon WITHOUT having to keep the Go app running) - its just not worth playing anymore.

Its such a shame, the 1st few days of the game were brilliant (when the tracking actually worked) - despite being a completely feature bare game, it was a lot of fun.

Shame, i may come back if they every actually fix it.

Nodnol

I can live without the footsteps for now...everyone is using PokeVision anyway.

Should hit 20 today; I find it a really fun experience to be honest and the fact that so many people are playing is great.

I find it so frustrating though, that a 10CP Weedle is worth the same as a 300CP Whatever, and the same goes for evolving. Spending 12 candies to get a Pigeotto shouldn't be worth the same XP as evolving a Magikarp.

Really simple fixes, but I hope they address them. They also need to look at XP/Bonuses for completing the achievements/medals.

BamfMeat

I can live without the footsteps for now...everyone is using PokeVision anyway.

Should hit 20 today; I find it a really fun experience to be honest and the fact that so many people are playing is great.

I find it so frustrating though, that a 10CP Weedle is worth the same as a 300CP Whatever, and the same goes for evolving. Spending 12 candies to get a Pigeotto shouldn't be worth the same XP as evolving a Magikarp.

Really simple fixes, but I hope they address them. They also need to look at XP/Bonuses for completing the achievements/medals.

Not anymore they aren't.

Something I just thought about today which has me a bit worried. GPS Spoofing seems to be a thing, which I imagine they will attempt to crack down on.

Now my phone / the game seems to lose GPS signal fairly regularly. My little fellow will stand in spot and then sprint like his life depends on it sometimes up to a KM away, where I am. Other times when I switch to a seperate app on the phone then back in (To check IV for example) it seems to mess up and my guy suddenly appears what seems some what off before making his way to where I actually am.

Could this be seen as something their systems would pick up? I've put in maybe a little too much time into this haha, would hate to have it lost.

Edit : Also evolved my Magikarp finally. 94% IV. Unfortunately rolled out on the bottom of the evolution multiplier (Got 1600 when average was 1900 and top 2100). They gave him bite too :/ Still, awesome to have one!

StayDead

Well, now there's no radar apps (which I never had a chance to use (forgot about them)) and footsteps are completely gone it'll be impossible for anyone to find pokemon in rural areas. The fact it's even harder to transfer things which was an annoying process already is awful.

It's really dissauded me from wanting to even play the game anymore.

Geneijin

Honestly it feels like people are letting outrage mode get to their head and they're finally noticing what Pokemon are around them (rather than eying one and looking just for it) and how many balls they waste trying to catch something.
If you caught as many Zubats as I have before today's update (I had like 620 candies 2 days ago) and compare their capture rates now, the change is noticeable and they're notorious for their low capture rate. You also have people like me in this very thread that probably put a good 2-3 hours into this everyday, so it's even more apparent anecdotally.

zulux21

Now it takes more actions to transfer. What a backwards step.

it might technically take more actions to transfer but.

A. it's way faster now.
B. it reduces the number of accidentally transfers.
C. seriously it's WAY WAY WAY faster now.

having to scroll down, only to have the pointless picture pop up (well pointless when it actually showed you were you got it, completely pointless now that it is just white) and shift the transfer button was super annoying.

I can go from selecting a pokemon and trasnfering in like on third of the time it used to take.

it's a far cry from being able to mass transfer, but it's still way better than it was.

just would have been nice if they clearly told people about the change.

Well, now there's no radar apps (which I never had a chance to use (forgot about them)) and footsteps are completely gone it'll be impossible for anyone to find pokemon in rural areas. The fact it's even harder to transfer things which was an annoying process already is awful.

It's really dissauded me from wanting to even play the game anymore.

you are down right just hating change for the sake of change if you think it is harder. it's way easier and faster now given the button is always in the same place now, no need to scroll, just click click done. instead of.. scroll, click... SCREW YOU WHITE BOX OF STUPIDNESS, scroll, Click :/

Geneijin

it might technically take more actions to transfer but.

A. it's way faster now.
B. it reduces the number of accidentally transfers.
C. seriously it's WAY WAY WAY faster now.

having to scroll down, only to have the pointless picture pop up (well pointless when it actually showed you were you got it, completely pointless now that it is just white) and shift the transfer button was super annoying.

I can go from selecting a pokemon and trasnfering in like on third of the time it used to take.

it's a far cry from being able to mass transfer, but it's still way better than it was.

just would have been nice if they clearly told people about the change.

you are down right just hating change for the sake of change if you think it is harder. it's way easier and faster now given the button is always in the same place now, no need to scroll, just click click done. instead of.. scroll, click... SCREW YOU WHITE BOX OF STUPIDNESS, scroll, Click :/
I have to agree. It's nice not have to scroll all the way down only for that map/picture to appear and delay the transfer.

Also, apparently, one of the undocumented changes in the new update is that Pokemon favorited are not transferable.

dity

If you caught as many Zubats as I have before today's update (I had like 620 candies 2 days ago) and compare their capture rates now, the change is noticeable and they're notorious for their low capture rate. You also have people like me in this very thread that probably put a good 2-3 hours into this everyday, so it's even more apparent anecdotally.
Zubats were always hard to catch for me, even before the update. Any Zubat over 200cp was and still is a nightmare to catch due to the small hitbox and low capture rate. Didn't notice a difference today at all.

I mean, anecdotally speaking the Pokemon I caught today only took a few balls. Except the zubat.

Geneijin

Zubats were always hard to catch for me, even before the update. Any Zubat over 200cp was and still is a nightmare to catch due to the small hitbox and low capture rate. Didn't notice a difference today at all.

I mean, anecdotally speaking the Pokemon I caught today only took a few balls. Except the zubat.
Yeah, they're always difficult to catch, which is why I feel there's been an apparent change because it's more obvious when you're capturing Zubats and alike. Could also be terrible luck too. I just hope that isn't the case.

Kuni

Damn shame about Pokevision. Actually added to the experience for me. Being able to see the pokemon I wanted on the map and go to that place and catch is like the actual real games instead of just running about aimlessly for a time with rattatas.

Shame. This combined with the update makes me wonder if users will start to drop now.

Septic360

Banned
Does the trick of constantly spamming the pokeball throw as a pokemon battle is about to start work anymore after the update?

Damn shame about Pokevision. Actually added to the experience for me. Being able to see the pokemon I wanted on the map and go to that place and catch is like the actual real games instead of just running about aimlessly for a time with rattatas.

Shame. This combined with the update makes me wonder if users will start to drop now.

Exactly. It made my experience more social as well as I encountered loads of random people trying to find the same rare pokemon etc. Stupid move imo. Will lead to the decline of popularity for this unless they fix/add thr footsteps

GlamFM

Banned
Shhhhhhhhiiiiit!

The Update logged me out out and I can't log back in.

I created a new account for Pokemon go and forgot everything about it.

The only thing I remember is my username and the fact that the gmail address that was given to me had GlamFM and some random number in it - am I screwed?

I like how closing loopholes and tricks makes people "fucked over".

Tricks? Loopholes?

The core feature of the game hasn't worked for the majority of the games release, and niantic have been completely silent on the matter.

People have (had) made the game into something else that worked for them, because of the lack of communication on their part.

Now we have nothing again.

I have no issues with the tracker sites and services being canned, but to block them and kill the in-game tracker entirely with no comment on their future plans with it leaves me pretty sour.

What? Looks like the PokeDex grind is... evolving!

Nightbird

What annoys me about the removal of third party apps like Pokevision is that the in-game tracker wasn't even very functional even when it was active.

Pokevision told me when it was useless to go chase after Pokemon. (for example when it's like 700m away, but only has three minutes left.

Considering that Pokémon are only available for a limited time, the tracker could at least show you in which direction you should go. Those step-thingys were almost useless, since they provide no information whatsoever.

Heck, if it weren't for players who paid attention to this, we wouldn't even know how they worked since Niantic decided it would be pretty damn awesome not to tell us how to effectively track down Pokémon.

If their vision for this app was it to be Pokémon in real life, then I would advise them to back to play the games once more, because not a single game from the series has not the option to track down the exact location of a Pokémon you want.

Heck, I would expect fine if they actually did it like in the games, where you could only track those you've already seen, but at least let me have a decent tracker.

Maximus P

Maybe they're getting rid of the footprint tracking system so they can apply a new system such as compass tracking?

I live in hope.

It would be nice to have some communication, just a quick 'we are removing the footprint system while we work on a fix' would suffice.

Leonsito

They did the right thing, you can't have a non-working feature showing in an app, you have to remove it until you figure out how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom