• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frillen

man reddit is totally melting down.

but theyre not wrong. if they really made pokemons harder to catch then that signals to me all they care about is making $$$ off this game and I'm out.

Fuck PENIS Antic

That's another slap in the face for rural/small town players, as Poke Balls were already hard to get without buying more.

Add in the footstep thingy being taking out and third party sites gone, I think I'm mostly done with the game until Gen II.

You look at the "nearby" box, you go "oh these Pokemon are nearby" and then go for a walk and potentially run into one.

I've clocked over 50km with the footsteps being broken and have gained 10ish levels and caught Pokemon with over 1000cp. I've had a bunch of fun without Pokevision or the footsteps working. So I just can't believe this change really ruins the game for most of you here. Like, it's a walking activity rather than a core Pokemon game. Go walk and catch some coincidental Pokemon.

A "maybe" isn't a good carrot for most people...especially since I live in a rural area where the rarest thing I'll find is a Scyther(that doesn't spawn in my neighborhood) or Pidgeotto/Raticate. And that's if anything spawns at all.

It's put me off from walking with it because "maybe" isn't good enough.

And I mean, it's also in the 90s all the way until the sun goes down, so that also plays a part in it. I've also clocked a good 40 km even with the tracker broken, but when it worked, it was working well.

dity

You realise that people were using Pokevision to play the game, right?

People weren't using these third party maps to 'cheat', they were using them because they wanted to catch more pokemon, upgrade their existing catches and level up their character.

It was the community making the best of a bad situation.
But the legit best way to level up is with low candy requirement evolutions from ultra common Pokemon. You can catch all the rares at a lower level you want, they won't be very good though or gain you much XP.

A "maybe" isn't a good carrot for most people...especially since I live in a rural area where the rarest thing I'll find is a Scyther(that doesn't spawn in my neighborhood) or Pidgeotto/Raticate. And that's if anything spawns at all.

It's put me off from walking with it because "maybe" isn't good enough.

And I mean, it's also in the 90s all the way until the sun goes down, so that also plays a part in it. I've also clocked a good 40 km even with the tracker broken, but when it worked, it was working well.

I'm in a small town and I mostly get Doduo, Rattata, and Zubat. I might only catch like 2 or 3 on a walk sometimes and hatch an egg. But I consider that fun.

Besides Pokevision ain't gonna do much if you're super rural. Unless you can travel tens of kilometers before a Pokemon despawns in 5 minutes.

Head.spawn

That's another slap in the face for rural/small town players, as Poke Balls were already hard to get without buying more.

Add in the footstep thingy being taking out and third party sites gone, I think I'm mostly done with the game until Gen II.

I've found that they spawn in mostly the same spots. Visiting the same locations or venturing slightly outside of those areas are yielding plenty of pulls for me. Complete guesswork obv, but not the end of the world.

Edit: i suppose that is less relevant for those that live in rural areas where that idea wouldn't fly.

PSFan

People should lose the mentality that they have to find rare pokemon immediately. There's a reason they're rare.

I just walk to hatch eggs and whatever rare pokemon spawn I consider a bonus.

Nobody has that mentality. They just want to find other Pokemon besides Rattatta, Pidgey and Eeevee.

You look at the "nearby" box, you go "oh these Pokemon are nearby" and then go for a walk and potentially run into one.

The problem for a lot people is that the Pokemon in the "nearby" box aren't nearby at all. They aren't even within a 5-7 mile radius. The trackers proved this. Great that it works for you but don't be so presumptuous that it's working for everyone, because it's not.

Geneijin

I've clocked over 50km with the footsteps being broken and have gained 10ish levels and caught Pokemon with over 1000cp. I've had a bunch of fun without Pokevision or the footsteps working. So I just can't believe this change really ruins the game for most of you here. Like, it's a walking activity rather than a core Pokemon game. Go walk and catch some coincidental Pokemon.
What's your trainer level?

Fox1304

ElQ6PAd.png

Thanks for the website, very user-friendly and useful !

No 100% yet but a few good draws on my team.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
"Casual players" didn't use maps and were confused by the 3 footstep glitch.

I don't think that's true at all. There's an 8 year old kid who lives just down the road from me. I know for a fact he used Pokevision, because he very proudly explained about the Dratini he caught thanks to it. You are severely underestimating the word of mouth this game generated. I would not be at all surprised if 75%+ of the userbase used Pokevision (or some equivalent).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention that hardcore players can still run local scans using Python, so this actually cut out the real casuals who don't have that skillset while leaving the most dedicated hardcore players untouched. I could set a Python scanner up myself, but frankly I don't have much interest in a game so woefully mismanaged. But that 8 year old? Unless he has an amazingly good grasp of Python for a kid of his age, he's bang out of luck.

dity

I don't think that's true at all. There's an 8 year old kid who lives just down the road from me. I know for a fact he used Pokevision, because he very proudly explained about the Dratini he caught thanks to it. You are severely underestimating the word of mouth this game generated. I would not be at all surprised if 75%+ of the userbase used Pokevision (or some equivalent).
This is based upon just some random kid you talked to?

Sorry, my experience is with people and their friends flocking to lured Pokestops or driving around and taking gyms. Walking around those areas and chatting as they do it. Not throwing open an app just to find a single Pokemon.

Oh, and the python scanners still work but have been crippled. Very slow.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is based upon just some random kid you talked to?

Sorry, my experience is with people and their friends flocking to lured Pokestops or driving around and taking gyms. Walking around those areas and chatting as they do it. Not throwing open an app just to find a single Pokemon.

There aren't Lured stops round here because I think only three people play in my local village. I actually have had a conversation with this kid (as you can tell precisely by the post you quoted anyway) because of Pokevision - we had the same sprint for an 8 minute Victreebel by the church about 2/3rds of a mile away, and chatted about the game afterwards. I can tell you're a city dweller and frankly you have absolutely no idea what playing this game outside a natural hot zone is like.

And they've not been crippled, they just increased the time between scans to 5000ms. That's nothing at all, Pokevision required a 30000ms wait between scans anyway.

Polari

They have 589K followers on Twitter, so I'd say there were a decent number of people using it. My general view is that Niantic should block it, but implement a Pokemon Tracker with directions so it can lead you to Pokemon within a 300m or so radius.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They have 589K followers on Twitter, so I'd say there were a decent number of people using it. My general view is that Niantic should block it, but implement a Pokemon Tracker with directions so it can lead you to Pokemon within a 300m or so radius.

300m means jack rurally. 1000m would be a minimum requirement with an accurate scanner for me to find anything.

dity

There aren't Lured stops round here because I think only three people play in my local village. I actually have had a conversation with this kid (as you can tell by tgr post you quoted anyway precisely) because of Pokevision - we had the same sprint for an 8 minute Victreebel by the church, and chatted about the game afterwards. I can tell you're a city dweller and frankly you have absolutely no idea what playing this game outside a natural hot zone.

And they've not been crippled, they just increased the time between scans to 5000ms. That's nothing at all, Pokevision required a 30000ms wait between scans anyway.
You can tell I live in a city? I live in a town that has a population of less than 7000. There's a small city I can go to nearby, but I'm not spending petrol and parking money to make that place my regular walk. And it'd take like an hour to walk there on foot.

Your experience is with a single child. I've seen multiple crowds not using the maps. My experience in no way matches up with yours.

Users of the script have reported on Github that the script is slower now. Bogged down.

Found this nice website that analyse in 1 Go all your Pokemons and tell you which has the best IV skill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4vdm93/pokeadvisorcom_automatic_stats_calculator_and/

Sweet.

My only perfect one is a Kingler, but I also have a 97.8% Exeggutor, a 93,3 Gyarados, 88.9 Vaporeon and 86.7 Poliwrath and 86.7 Jolteon.
Unfortunately my Arcanine is only 48.9% and my Slowbro 64.4%, already wasted a lot of dust on them and the Growlith nest where I got all my Growliths isn't there anymore, so I probably won't get a new/better Arcanine anytime soon -.-

Chaos17

Thanks for the website, very user-friendly and useful !

No 100% yet but a few good draws on my team.

No problem, I hope Niantic won't block it like they did with the pokeradars since it also make request to the game. But it would be silly since this website don't encourage any form of cheating but intead help player by advicing how to "manage" their pokemons.

Munti

Lol@all those crying because they can't use third party maps. Game is fine just wandering around, even without the nearby tracking feature. I do have sympathy for those in rural areas, otherwise, I consider the map stuff cheating. Good riddance.

I agree

Rippounette

Neo Member
"Casual players" didn't use maps and were confused by the 3 footstep glitch.

Everyone's playing Pokémon GO at home, and my parents + sister were both confused by the 3 footstep glitch and using Pokevision. I have a lot of friends that are casual players and used Pokevision as well. Hell, I saw a lot of people using it outside and lots of them seemed to be casual players.

Yup, no pokevision has pretty well killed it for me as a semi-small town player. Pokestops are too far and few between and while walking after the update, I saw nothing but pidgey and rattata. At least with pokevision I could make little detours here and there for whatever I saw I hadn't caught yet when it popped up on the tracker. Now it seems like the tracker is useless, so when I do see something pop up I can't find it, wandered around a couple blocks looking for just a krabby that popped up. Also, hard to tell if there are fewer Pokémon or just less varied ones in my area, but definitely not seeing what I used to.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You can tell I live in a city? I live in a town that has a population of less than 7000. There's a small city I can go to nearby, but I'm not spending petrol and parking money to make that place my regular walk. And it'd take like an hour to walk there on foot.

Your experience is with a single child. I've seen multiple crowds not using the maps. My experience in no way matches up with yours.

Users of the script have reported on Github that the script is slower now. Bogged down.

If you have seen multiple crowds, then you are, for the purposes of this game, living in an urban area and have no idea what you are talking about.

Blank!

If you have seen multiple crowds, then you are, for the purposes of this game, living in an urban area and have no idea what you are talking about.

well the good news is, if your entire town quits over this they only lose 3 people out of several million. You'll be missed.

hydruxo

I just love how people keep saying they took tracking out so they could reenable it later on. That may be the case, but we have absolutely no way of knowing because Niantic doesn't tell us shit. John Hanke more or less shook it off when he was asked about it at SDCC. Pokevision closing down is whatever since there's still other third party sites, but I just can't fathom how Niantic hasn't hired a couple community managers to maintain a blog to keep us in the loop. A single blog post communicating with us about what will be done with the in-game tracker would be all it takes.

jts

...hate me...
So my only 100% IV Pokémon is a 217 Scyther 💀

Generally speaking, my high IV Pokémon have low CP and vice-versa.

Best combo is a 740 Pinsir with 84.4%.

On the other hand I have a 1271 51.1% Snorlax and a 504 82.2% Snorlax. God damn it.

Should I power-up the high IV and low CP, vice-versa, or just wait for better Pokémon?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
well the good news is, if your entire town quits over this they only lose 3 people out of several million. You'll be missed.

I mean, sure, but there are lots of towns like mine. Just look through this thread to see people posting pictures of woeful Nearby screens with a single Pidgey or Weedle. If, say, a third of the username lives rurally, Niantic just endangered a third of their entire userbase.

Majukun

anyway..i might stop playing too since there's both no pokèvision nor tracking in the game avaiable...i live in a semi-small town..pokèmon are already few and far between,and now i can't even track the ones that are decent?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
anyway..i might stop playing too since there's both no pokèvision nor tracking in the game avaiable...i live in a semi-small town..pokèmon are already few and far between,and now i can't even track the ones that are decent?

Case in point for my post above.

Blank!

I mean, sure, but there are lots of towns like mine. Just look through this thread to see people posting pictures of woeful Nearby screens with a single Pidgey or Weedle. If, say, a third of the username lives rurally, Niantic just endangered a third of their entire userbase.

I'm sure they'll be fine. I'll wait to see them drop off the top grossing game list before I proclaim the sky is falling because the internet lost it's 3rd party map program.

Only that literally doesn't work, because the game still doesn't properly purge out-of-range or despawned Pokémon from the list half the time. So it's less a "nearby" list and more "well, these might have been nearby 20 minutes ago, lol" list.

The game was designed with the ability to ACTIVELY track Pokémon in mind. It's literally the point, not just blind wandering. That's why it launched with an active tracker on-screen at all times. It may not be an issue for you personally, but let's not pretend like no functional tracking (internal or external) isn't a valid issue to have with a game built around that very feature.

dity

Or maybe my area was just popular with Ingress players, perhaps? Lots of students live around here and commute to university.

Then you just have a completely different set of priorities and expectations if you don't care about the collection aspect of the game. If you're that high level, I thought that'd be mutually understood.

I like to battle and take gyms and take long walks with my partner while we both catch Pokemon when our phones buzz.

Here's me:

Exactly.

Now the game doesn't have an indicator to how close they are at all, so they can't even guess where they might be.

I guess before their guess before would be "they're out here somewhere". No different to now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yes just saw that.
There is no "range" or "average" on this one also. No idea which would be the correct one.

Advisor is correct, it literally reads the data from the server. Assistant is also correct, but it works out the possible range of combinations from the data openly visible to the player, so it isn't as precise.

I just love how people keep saying they took tracking out so they could reenable it later on. That may be the case, but we have absolutely no way of knowing because Niantic doesn't tell us shit. John Hanke more or less shook it off when he was asked about it at SDCC. Pokevision closing down is whatever since there's still other third party sites, but I just can't fathom how Niantic hasn't hired a couple community managers to maintain a blog to keep us in the loop. A single blog post communicating with us about what will be done with the in-game tracker would be all it takes.
This is absolutely the worst of it. The silence is deafening.

Majukun

is such a thing even possible?
how can they read that data anyway?

not that i'm complaining since in average my IV is slightly better than the results from pokè assistant,but still
Advisor is correct, it literally reads the data from the server. Assistant is also correct, but it works out the possible range of combinations from the data openly visible to the player, so it isn't as precise.

but would niantic make such data easily readable just like that?
seems like something it wouldn't be so easy to get from the servers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom