• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jariw

Now it takes more actions to transfer. What a backwards step.

AFAIK, it's the same amount of steps?

Before:
1. Display Pokemon to transfer
2. Scroll Down to button
3. Press Transfer
4. Press Yes

Now:
2. Press icon
3. Press Transfer
4. Press Yes

Saya

Before the update my area was swarmed with doduo, now it's pidgeys. Pokemon seem harder to catch in general as well, even low level pokemon easily break free. And they seem to do a lot more defensive moves, sometimes several in a row.

AFAIK, it's the same amount of steps?

Before:
2. Scroll Down to button
3. Press Transfer
4. Press Yes

Now:
2. Press icon
3. Press Transfer
4. Press Yes

Step two is substantially quicker and more reliable.

Jintor

Discovered a downside oh being in Tokyo playing this: the game crashes because there's too many pokestops in range when I'm trying to battle Pokemon

Hell the framerate drops just trying to spin stops

Septic360

Banned
Maaaan, killing off Pokevision and the lack of a working tracker in this has killed my motivation to play this now.

There's little point now because its near impossible to pinpoint the location of great pokemon.

It's just become a massive grind now. Here's hoping someone finds a solution

Anyone know if Egg distance progress is tracked while phone is locked or app is minimised now that Power Saver Mode has been removed?

I found a random Reddit thread with conflicting statements. However someone mentioned that the app now has Background Refesh available in the iOS Settings and one use claims it works when phone is locked

T.O.P

Banned
This update will kill my will to play the game

Had a Squirtle and a Warturtle on the tracker, after 30 minutes of walking around they were still nowhere to be found, tracker obviously had yet to update

Hell they could've spawned 15 minutes before i even started looking for them but who knows

Goddamnit Niantic

This update and them going after the third party apps is basically me quiting the game. And I'm pretty sure everyone else in rural areas will do the same.

All that is around here is pure garbage, and even that garbage is few and far between. Rarer and even uncommon Pokemon? Heh. Good luck finding those. Without the notifications from these third party apps I'd be sitting on about 10 Pokemon and I'd be about level 4.

The third party apps are the only reason I continued playing the game (that was back when the in-game steps were actually working).

PSFan

Maaaan, killing off Pokevision and the lack of a working tracker in this has killed my motivation to play this now.

There's little point now because its near impossible to pinpoint the location of great pokemon.

It's just become a massive grind now. Here's hoping someone finds a solution

Yup, this move may just come back and bite Mr. Hanke in the ass. He says these trackers ruin the fun for everyone? Uh, no. They actually add to the fun.

My brother, niece, nephew and me loved seeing a good Pokemon on the map. We'd all jump in the golf cart and go try to catch it. And we'd still communicate to other people we saw playing that there was a good Pokemon a couple blocks away. After we caught it or whatever, we'd still be motivated to stay out and play. Hit a few pokestops and gyms etc. Now, we probably won't be as motivated.

Gonna be interesting to see what the long term effects will be.

Baha

Trackemon is still up and running but it doesn't feel like it scans as much pokemon or as wide an area (at least in Toronto) as compared to PokeVision and the pokemon nearby site that a gaffer in this thread made.

DedValve

Banned
So what pokemon should I evolve if I have multiple?

Say I got a few Clefairys, do I prioritize higher CP, moves, or what?

What if Clefairy A is CP 420 with double slap or whatever and Clefairy B is CP 150 with Moonblast?

dity

So what pokemon should I evolve if I have multiple?

Say I got a few Clefairys, do I prioritize higher CP, moves, or what?

What if Clefairy A is CP 420 with double slap or whatever and Clefairy B is CP 150 with Moonblast?
High power attack moves are slower than low power attack moves.

Prioritise high CP and low power moves for gym battles and high CP with high power moves for putting in gyms (since the AI attacks at a set rate).

Pachimari

I've noticed nearby radar is drastically different for my GF and my phone. Even right next to each other I see at least 5 different pokemon. Not even the same ones in a different order. Straight up different pokemon.
Try and reboot the game on both phones. Your radar might display old Pokemon if you haven't restarted in a while.

I'm on a total Pidgey hunt today!

man reddit is totally melting down.

but theyre not wrong. if they really made pokemons harder to catch then that signals to me all they care about is making $$$ off this game and I'm out.

Fuck PENIS Antic

Geneijin

Encountered this two times in the past two days, but I hate when you're training a gym, only to discover you lost it to a competing team after you finish the battle. It prevents me from taking back the gym as I get an Error message each time I initiate after the Battle Go countdown.

Kuros

It's fairly clear the 3 step "bug" was caused by the servers being absolutely hammered. So they started sending simplified 200m data to the app. The 3rd party apps then stepped in and started hammering the servers instead. There was no way the 3 step bug was going to be fixed the 3rd party trackers running. So they've killed them off and with any luck next update we'll get the proper tracker back.

I uninstalled this yesterday before I even heared about the update. I like reading this thread but the novelty of the game has wore off for me. Can't be the only one.

Dougald

I uninstalled this yesterday before I even heared about the update. I like reading this thread but the novelty of the game has wore off for me. Can't be the only one.

The drop-off in people walking around my local park (4 pokestops and a gym) this week has been insane. It's pretty much back to us dog walkers again, now. Last weekend it was full of people glued to their phones

dity

Yay, the 3 gyms in my town just got spoofed

All of them with a 3k Dragonite from the same guy

:|
Unless that's the only Pokemon in the gym, you know you don't have to beat that Pokemom to take the gym right?

A good gym is a gym with the lowest CP Pokemon still being high CP. A high CP Pokemon in last position may as well not exist if the ones before it can be beaten.

So whats the big fuzz about the update?
The tracking was bugged anyways. Doesn't work now, didn't work before.
Instead of 3 steps for each pokemon there is just no sign no. Doesn't make any difference. So why complain about it? I don't get it

And the update made some good changes. Transfer is so so so much better now. Works so fast. Anybody who says it doesn't make a difference talks BS.
The medals look nicer now
You can change the look of your player now.
You can see your total EXP now.

So all in all the Update made some progress. Baby steps but it's a good thing.

I don't get it.

Without either Pokevision and without the steps I don't really want to continue to play

Yeah same here.

I'd probably have a bit more willingness had Niantic ever communicated with their player base.

I'm beginning to think they just don't give a shit, they've made their money or whatever and they'll just keep doing their thing - whatever that is.

Instead of 3 steps for each pokemon there is just no sign no. Doesn't make any difference. So why complain about it? I don't get it

And the update made some good changes. Transfer is so so so much better now. Works so fast. Anybody who says it doesn't make a difference talks BS.

I don't get it.

From everything I'm reading its now a pokemon tracking game where you can't track the pokemon. Niantic still steadfastly refuses to communicate with its playerbase but will issue takedown notices for sites like Pokevision, and the experience bonuses for nice, great, and excellent catches were also removed (can someone confirm?).

The scan radius was also lowered from 100 to 70
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/4v73aj/psa_scan_radius_was_changed_from_100m_to_70m/

IHaveIce

Banned

I don't get it.

But I remember the time where it worked, and they should have fixed it instead of removing it at all.
Pokevision being gone makes even dumber.

And lmao I couldn't care less about how the medals look, my trainer looks or what my total amount of EXP is, nothing of that changes how I play the game, the other thing does

I don't get it.

The inability to track pokemon at all, now that they're cracking down on third party apps and things like pokevision, means that the game is functionally worthless. Why bother if you're not going to find anything on your tracker? That's literally the point of the game.

From everything I'm reading its now a pokemon tracking game where you can't track the pokemon.

But the tracking didn't work before. Would you rather have it in not working? This would only confuse people even further.
I think it's a good thing to take it out and then put it back in once they'll make it work.

The inability to track pokemon at all, now that they're cracking down on third party apps and things like pokevision, means that the game is functionally worthless. Why bother if you're not going to find anything on your tracker? That's literally the point of the game.

I never looked at the tracker at all because it was not working. The game is still amazing fun without it
Pokevision I also never used. Feels like cheating to me.

Vuze

Is there a web utility that lets you enter multiple defending pokemon, then shows you the best pokemon to attack it? Obviously can't be 100% precise due to different attacks but it's pretty exhausting to look up the Pokemon in an arena on the web, figure out the type in the wiki, then cross-reference with the weakness table.
Preferably with multi language support.

E: Found one for a start https://pokeassistant.com/main/index

after installing iOS 9.3 the game deleted my account and now I have to start all over...yeah no thanks.
?
Your progress is tied to a google or PTC account, just login with the one you used. Unless there's a major bug or sth but I haven't heard about any account wipes due to OS upgrade

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So guys, how's the patch treating you all?

Oh, and Pokevision is down for good now? Shit, I expected this game to start dropping after a few months but at this rate, I might just shorten my initial expectations with a few additional months. I give this game until late-September. That's when (I personally think) the casuals will have left the market and the dedicated are left playing this game.

trugs26

Lol@all those crying because they can't use third party maps. Game is fine just wandering around, even without the nearby tracking feature. I do have sympathy for those in rural areas, otherwise, I consider the map stuff cheating. Good riddance.

Haven't tried multiple transfers to know if the new way is quicker so good to know others find it better. Still, maybe we can expect multi transfer later.

Firemind

People should lose the mentality that they have to find rare pokemon immediately. There's a reason they're rare.

I just walk to hatch eggs and whatever rare pokemon spawn I consider a bonus.

dity

You look at the "nearby" box, you go "oh these Pokemon are nearby" and then go for a walk and potentially run into one.

I've clocked over 50km with the footsteps being broken and have gained 10ish levels and caught Pokemon with over 1000cp. I've had a bunch of fun without Pokevision or the footsteps working. So I just can't believe this change really ruins the game for most of you here. Like, it's a walking activity rather than a core Pokemon game. Go walk and catch some coincidental Pokemon.

Lol@all those crying because they can't use third party maps. Game is fine just wondering around, even without the nearby tracking feature. I do have sympathy for those in rural areas, otherwise, I consider the map stuff cheating. Good riddance.

You realise that people were using Pokevision to play the game, right?

People weren't using these third party maps to 'cheat', they were using them because they wanted to catch more pokemon, upgrade their existing catches and level up their character.

It was the community making the best of a bad situation.

You look at the "nearby" box, you go "oh these Pokemon are nearby" and then go for a walk and potentially run into one.

I've clocked over 50km with the footsteps being broken and have gained 10ish levels and caught Pokemon with over 1000cp. I've had a bunch of fun without Pokevision or the footsteps working. So I just can't believe this change really ruins the game for most of you here. Like, it's a walking activity rather than a core Pokemon game. Go walk and catch some coincidental Pokemon.

The nearby box has no bearing on the real world spawns for me.

IHaveIce

Banned
people who talk down on pokevision and think the tracker as it is is fine... where do you guys live? I saw maps of US cities.. of course I wouldn't need that shit if I lived in these areas where good pokemon are everywhere.

I have to drive an hour to get out of the pidgey/ratatta zone and even then it is a lackluster.
Pokevision wasn't cheating in all honesty it made the game even better for me and more exciting to try to reach a spot in time.

Edit: Also the nearby box (steps aside or not) was bugged for me the last hours and wouldn't update at all, but noooo it is a great update.

Praise Niantic and their lack of communication with the fanbase because we are now able to change which dumb hat my character is wearing.

People in here talking down on those of us who are disappointed are the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom