• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

The PoGo desktop live map is still working, fortunately, but I feel it's starting to find fewer and fewer Pokemon.

There are two things at play here:

1) Niantic changed scan radius from 100m to 70m (half the area) so if your codbase is still using 100m scan distance you'll be potentially missing half your spawns
2) Niantic throttled max requests to 1 request per 5 seconds. Any requests faster than this will return empty arrays of pokemon sightings so if you're scanning fast you'll miss a lot of pokemon

You can still find everything in your area by adjusting your scan radius in code to match the server responses and change it to only request once every 5 seconds. This is incredibly slow to cover any meaningful area as you can imagine.

After you mine all the spawns in your area, I think it should be possible to write some code that scans a bit more intelligently (only scanning when it knows new pokemon will be there) which should help get around the throttled requests problem. I'm still thinking of an efficient way to do this.

It isn't an account throttle.
It is an IP throttle that has been applied now.
So now only a site that uses lots of IPs can continue And if I was doing that I would not spend much time spreading the back end around because what will come next is an account block if the account jumps around a lot or exceeds a certain number of queries per hour or something. And it becomes a full time game of cat and mouse which Netflix has taught everyone, isn't really winnable.

Thanks for the site, it was great while it lasted!

What do you mean by this? Will they not let you even select them anymore? Because I posted before it already seemed like Pokes escaped/ran much easier when going at high speeds.

Sorry for the late response. What I meant was that I could no longer catch Pokemon, even low CP mons, at 40 mph and over. I managed to catch a Pikachu at 35, but after that it was impossible. They would always escape, even if I used a Great Ball.

Saya

Got curious and decided to try it out just a couples minutes ago. Picked Charmander as my starter. Seems like they have been using the same intro since Pkmn Yellow very nostalgic. Everything was good than Dr. Willow says I need to move in real life to find interesting locations. The closest one was across some woods on the opposite side of a lake. APP DELETED.

You can just play it whenever you go out. It's a very casual game.

Velcro Fly

Got a phone that can actually play the game today so I downloaded

Went on a walk with a friend and ended up getting to level 5

Highlight of it all was catching a Gastly!

Out of pokeballs but I live across from two stops so I should be good to restock my supplies tomorrow.

Fun game and definitely a cool time waster while I go on walks. Will definitely help me get 1 million steps on my 3DS again this year!

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
After this updated I'm having trouble catching anything while hitting on good spots. Is anyone else having this problem?

Saad

I have been getting "Bad Login Credentials" error whenever I try to log in PokeScanner.. Does it work with you guys?

Muku

After this updated I'm having trouble catching anything while hitting on good spots. Is anyone else having this problem?

I felt like before update any wording I got went against me. This evening nice and greats felt like they were helping. Maybe luck was just being kind tonight to me.

They fucked people over with this update. Pokemon escaping multiple balls and fleeing, removing footprints, taking out the trick to catch lower level pokemon with one ball. Really shitty of them to do this. I tried going back to the old version of the app and it seems like they broke something so you can't go back and install the previous version. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the old version and it won't work now.

Why does it matter if people could figure out where the Pokemon were, walking around aimlessly with the app open killing your battery will just make people play less and spend less money........unless they plan to put Poke radars in the store

Or they will make the wearable accessory more necessary to play the game

udivision

Looks like they want as many people to uninstall the game as possible.

In Crazy Fantasy Land I like to think that Game Freak is pissed off that the most played Pokemon game in franchise history might end up being that mobile nonsense made by those gaijin devs in America that no one has actually ever heard of. So now they got to word out that this game better have a population of zero by the time Sun and Moon hit this year, the true important big deal 20th Anniversary game.

guek

Banned
Goddamn, just used 15 great balls and 40 pokeballs to catch a goddamn raichu. It was only 400CP but IT'S THE PRINCIPLE OF THE THING

Pachimari

They fucked people over with this update. Pokemon escaping multiple balls and fleeing, removing footprints, taking out the trick to catch lower level pokemon with one ball. Really shitty of them to do this. I tried going back to the old version of the app and it seems like they broke something so you can't go back and install the previous version. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the old version and it won't work now.
What trick for catching low level Pokemon were that?

Lunar FC

Yup, that never happened before the update.

Teknoman

Honestly they just need to fix their own radar. All the other user made apps really shouldnt be necessary in the grand scheme of things. On that note, is transfer missing for anyone else?

zulux21

Honestly they just need to fix their own radar. All the other user made apps really shouldnt be necessary in the grand scheme of things. On that note, is transfer missing for anyone else?

it's moved to a menu in a bottom press on the bottom right.

it's actually a good thing because it's faster to get to now instead of needing to scroll down.

zroid

Banned

it's in the new sub-menu now. don't have to scroll down anymore.

foladar

Yup, that never happened before the update.

if you've played the new update, you'd notice it happens ALOT more now. can't even go back to the old version cuz your map is broken if you try. they also deflect alot more. probably trying to get people to buy alot of pokeballs before everyone quits, everyone at the park i was at kept saying they were out of balls, and there's like 15 stops there. i've never used 7 balls on a 180cp pidgey before.

Unless maybe it was simply my drive home, but it seems that not as many Pokemon were appearing while in the car (and moving) than when walking around. Can anyone tell if that was changed or had a similar experience?

It is a shame, most people I know have pretty much stopped playing the game now, the fun part was hunting down new Pokemon through the tracking.

Meanwhile I have a problem with min / maxxing in games so I am constantly still chasing high IV Pokemon. Been looking for a 85%+ IV Nidoran since 70 candy, at 160 now with no luck!

Unicorn

It is a shame, most people I know have pretty much stopped playing the game now, the fun part was hunting down new Pokemon through the tracking.

Meanwhile I have a problem with min / maxxing in games so I am constantly still chasing high IV Pokemon. Been looking for a 85%+ IV Nidoran since 70 candy, at 160 now with no luck!
Why it doesn't matter. Combat is influenced by latency too much that the maximum miniscule 10% doesn't matter, nevermind attack animation speed is the real decider, and there's no meaning to competitive play. Having one friend help you is infinitely more helpful than grinding for IV to fight alone.

That said I have a perfect IV vaporeon and jolteon.

MarkusRJR

Is anyone else having issues with the location data being incorrect since updating? My avatar spends a minute walking around in circles around me until he stops at an incorrect location. Like, it shows I'm currently two houses away from where I currently am. It used to work and be relatively fast and accurate before updating.

It's not a hardware issue at all either since I can go back and forth between Google Maps and other GPS based apps. They all load instantly and are super accurate. Pokémon Go is literally the only app that's incorrect.

Unicorn

I've noticed nearby radar is drastically different for my GF and my phone. Even right next to each other I see at least 5 different pokemon. Not even the same ones in a different order. Straight up different pokemon.

Replicant

Is anyone else having issues with the location data being incorrect since updating? My avatar spends a minute walking around in circles around me until he stops at an incorrect location. Like, it shows I'm currently two houses away from where I currently am. It used to work and be relatively fast and accurate before updating.

It's not a hardware issue at all either since I can go back and forth between Google Maps and other GPS based apps. They all load instantly and are super accurate. Pokémon Go is literally the only app that's incorrect.

It's been happening since previous update. It's hilarious because when I am close to a harbor, it thinks that I'm somewhere else. So now all I had to do is to be that somewhere else to get the pokemon near the harbor. Great job, Niantic!

Jintor

OK not a total crash because it told me it couldn't find a GPS signal for a hot second there. But I still can't do anything.

On the plus side logging into an account is really fast now

3phemeral

I've noticed nearby radar is drastically different for my GF and my phone. Even right next to each other I see at least 5 different pokemon. Not even the same ones in a different order. Straight up different pokemon.

It's been this way for awhile now. They really need to fix this because the Pokemon that eventually spawn are usually nowhere near me according to that list. A huge part of the fun is searching with your friends and since the list is inaccurate and they've stunted any external tracking apps, how else is anyone going to capture anything unless they happen to be standing right where the thing spawns?

Seems the only alternative is to travel to a touristy area, set down some lures, and just walk back and forth until something pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom