• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rippounette

Neo Member
I just love how people keep saying they took tracking out so they could reenable it later on. That may be the case, but we have absolutely no way of knowing because Niantic doesn't tell us shit. John Hanke more or less shook it off when he was asked about it at SDCC. Pokevision closing down is whatever since there's still other third party sites, but I just can't fathom how Niantic hasn't hired a couple community managers to maintain a blog to keep us in the loop. A single blog post communicating with us about what will be done with the in-game tracker would be all it takes.

I mean, they've been searching for a community manager since the beta... https://www.nianticlabs.com/jobs/

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
but would niantic make such data easily readable just like that?
seems like something it wouldn't be so easy to get from the servers

It's pretty easy to read. Niantic haven't really made any attempts to stop any data being intercepted or injected aside from map requests, which is why spoofing is easier than tracking.

jayhawker

I know everyone hates it, but I like the update. I think curve balls will be easier once I get the hang of the different physics.

Lowering the radius of the nearby Pokemon was a great idea with the footsteps broken. A psyduck showed up this morning as a silhouette (I hadn't caught one).

Knowing it was actually close, I decided to take a walk. Walked one direction and it switched places with something else as third closest instead of second closest. Walked the other direction and caught the first closest mon, and then found the psyduck about a block and a half down.

Most fun I've had since week one.

Nightbird

You look at the "nearby" box, you go "oh these Pokemon are nearby" and then go for a walk and potentially run into one.

I've clocked over 50km with the footsteps being broken and have gained 10ish levels and caught Pokemon with over 1000cp. I've had a bunch of fun without Pokevision or the footsteps working. So I just can't believe this change really ruins the game for most of you here. Like, it's a walking activity rather than a core Pokemon game. Go walk and catch some coincidental Pokemon.

I don't know if you have a different game then all of us, but the "nearby" box is useless.

It keeps showing Pokémon even like 5-10 Minutes after they de-spawned.

Just running around for nothing does nothing for me. I am already walking around with buds every few days. My private hunting sessions on the other hand have no meaning whatsoever anymore due to the lack of Pokevision.

Ah, also, I have 87.1 km clocked

jayhawker

Friend of mine has had his account reset following the update.

Is there any known fix?

Does s/he have more than one google account? For some reason, my wife's iPhone auto-logged in to her main, but she had used her alt to sign in originally. She thought her account had been reset, but we just had to log out and log back in with her alt.

dity

You'll defend Niantic to the very end, huh?
I don't care much about Niantic. I too wish they communicated more. However, I think the insistance that having the 3 steps glitch still be there is really dumb. The Pokevision stuff aside, some of you are panicking just because you can't see the useless 3 step graphic.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
300m means jack rurally. 1000m would be a minimum requirement with an accurate scanner for me to find anything.

Honestly, it should just be the 9 pokemon nearest to your position, with rough distance and direction.
Perhaps a pokestop-dropped consumable that can trigger a more accurate scan.

Finding pokemon is a big part of the game, and the amount of external tools tells a lot about how lacking ingame tools are.

I know everyone hates it, but I like the update. I think curve balls will be easier once I get the hang of the different physics.

Lowering the radius of the nearby Pokemon was a great idea with the footsteps broken. A psyduck showed up this morning as a silhouette (I hadn't caught one).

Knowing it was actually close, I decided to take a walk. Walked one direction and it switched places with something else as third closest instead of second closest. Walked the other direction and caught the first closest mon, and then found the psyduck about a block and a half down.

Most fun I've had since week one.
It already did the switching of order.

dity

I don't know if you have a different game then all of us, but the "nearby" box is useless.

It keeps showing Pokémon even like 5-10 Minutes after they de-spawned.

Just running around for nothing does nothing for me. I am already walking around with buds every few days. My private hunting sessions on the other hand have no meaning whatsoever anymore due to the lack of Pokevision.

Ah, also, I have 87.1 km clocked

My nearby shows an Exeggcute. If I go outside, I might find one. I might find something different. I'll maybe find it on my walk whenever I decide to go out.

Besides, even if I don't catch anything it isn't for nothing. I went for a walk, probably hatched an egg or two.

MrGlass

Frowning upon tracking sites because you feel they affect the social aspects of the game implies that everyone plays the game the same way and has access to the same amount of Pokemon.

I'm lucky that i work in London so i'm able to go out during lunch to go out searching but i live in a rural area and get home after 7pm when everything is dead. And on the weekends there are a handful of Pokemon that spawn in my area. I don't feel like it's a bad thing to make the best of my free time to go out and try to find as many rare Pokemon that i can.

Geneijin

I like to battle and take gyms and take long walks with my partner while we both catch Pokemon when our phones buzz.
Then you don't care enough about it, which is fine. But don't make it sound like it's something outlandish to want to find nearby Pokemon with a semblance of direction that 3rd party apps have been fulfilling in Niantic's steed.

dity

Then you don't care enough about it, which is fine. But don't make it sound like it's something outlandish to want to find nearby Pokemon with any semblance of direction.
I don't care enough about the app? I've used it like every day since a day or two after launch (when I got free time). I even here talking with you about it. I think I care enough.

I don't think it's outlandish, but I do think it's silly to get so riled up about it. They'll improve the system at some point.

Geneijin

I don't care enough about the app? I've used it like every day since a day or two after launch (when I got free time). I even here talking with you about it. I think I care enough.

I don't think it's outlandish, but I do think it's silly to get so riled up about it.
Never said you didn't care about the app. It's always been about you downplaying the collecting and hunting, which you don't particularly care for and have trouble understanding because of it. That's all I'm saying to you think it's "silly."

pringles

You look at the "nearby" box, you go "oh these Pokemon are nearby" and then go for a walk and potentially run into one.

I've clocked over 50km with the footsteps being broken and have gained 10ish levels and caught Pokemon with over 1000cp. I've had a bunch of fun without Pokevision or the footsteps working. So I just can't believe this change really ruins the game for most of you here. Like, it's a walking activity rather than a core Pokemon game. Go walk and catch some coincidental Pokemon.
I've clocked over 180km, and most of that has been going on walks and catching coincidental Pokemon. Yeah, it's fun. However, I can without a doubt say that it was much more fun when you were able to track down rare pokemon. I live in a small town and the 'coincidental' pokemon are 90% Zubat/Pidgey/Spearow/Ratata/Weedle/Caterpie. It's only fun for so long to catch them. When a Squirtle or Electabuzz or Abra or Machop or really anything else shows up on the nearby list, you want to find it. Tracking them down IS the game imo, finding them is where the joy of it is.

And the nearby list makes it impossible. Me and my gf can be walking right next to eachother in the same direction, and that rare pokemon will get closer on her list and further away on mine. Most of the time we even have completely different set of pokemon on our lists. And living in small town where not a ton of rare pokemon spawn and there's not a ton of pokestops and they're not constantly lured.. it just feels like a huge longshot that I'll ever stumble upon enough Bulbasaur's to evolve one for example since I've never seen even ONE in the wild. The same goes for Charmander or Pikachu and a lot of other rare pokemon. Finding them was impossible with Pokevision and Pokemon Nearby, it really doesn't feel likely that I'll ever stumble upon them now.

Firemind

is such a thing even possible?
how can they read that data anyway?

not that i'm complaining since in average my IV is slightly better than the results from pokè assistant,but still

but would niantic make such data easily readable just like that?
seems like something it wouldn't be so easy to get from the servers
you need to give pokeadvisor your login credentials. then it's just a matter of reading your pokemon's data.

fuck that though i'm not giving them my password

Majukun

you need to give pokeadvisor your login credentials. then it's just a matter of reading your pokemon's data.

fuck that though i'm not giving them my password

you don't give them mail and password,it works through google plus..it gives you a identification code that you give to the website

dity

Never said you didn't care about the app. It's always been about the collecting and hunting give been downplaying, which you don't particularly care for and have trouble understanding because of it. That's all I'm saying to you think it's "silly."

You will eventually catch them all. To me what you call "collecting and hunting" seems more like "instant gratification". That's why it'll be nice when a new system comes in that, but getting so riled up about it seems so silly to me. Like, just wait.

I've clocked over 180km, and most of that has been going on walks and catching coincidental Pokemon. Yeah, it's fun. However, I can without a doubt say that it was much more fun when you were able to track down rare pokemon. I live in a small town and the 'coincidental' pokemon are 90% Zubat/Pidgey/Spearow/Ratata/Weedle/Caterpie. It's only fun for so long to catch them. When a Squirtle or Electabuzz or Abra or Machop or really anything else shows up on the nearby list, you want to find it. Tracking them down IS the game imo, finding them is where the joy of it is.

And the nearby list makes it impossible. Me and my gf can be walking right next to eachother in the same direction, and that rare pokemon will get closer on her list and further away on mine. Most of the time we even have completely different set of pokemon on our lists. And living in small town where not a ton of rare pokemon spawn and there's not a ton of pokestops and they're not constantly lured.. it just feels like a huge longshot that I'll ever stumble upon enough Bulbasaur's to evolve one for example since I've never seen even ONE in the wild.

Hey, looks like we run into the same commons. That's what I run in to most of the time too. Except instead of specicially seeking out a Pokemon, I am instead delighted when I happen upon one.

Besides, I use those commons to up my level so I can get stronger wild stuff.

Drac

Things I've noticed after the update:
- my phone doesn't heat up as much? That or my hands nerves have finally died.
- the curve when throwing a curve ball got nastier, it doesn't feel like the same angle
- did they remove the nice/great/excellent xp bonus or what? Despite showing on my screen I never get the xp bonus on the successful catch.

I can't seem to make PokéAdvisor work, always get "Unspecified Error" message after numerous logout and login what gives :(?

Edit: scratch that last thing, PokéAdvisor finally worked \o/

Majukun

They still have full control over your Pokemon account via the API key, so still reason to stay wary.

don't think API keys give anywhere near "full control" over something,otherwise they would be no idfferent from just giving your credentials and the system wouldn't exist in the first place

but i'm no expert on the matter

ymgve

don't think API keys give anywhere near "full control" over something,otherwise they would be no idfferent from just giving your credentials and the system wouldn't exist in the first place

but i'm no expert on the matter

Well the API key gives them full access to Pokemon, while giving them your username and password would also give them access to your email and the rest of your Google stuff. So in that way it's better.

pringles

Hey, looks like we run into the same commons. That's what I run in to most of the time too. Except instead of specicially seeking out a Pokemon, I am instead delighted when I happen upon one.

Besides, I use those commons to up my level so I can get stronger wild stuff.
Everyone can play how they want, but I think I can safely say that if you spot a Charizard in your nearby list and just continue on your way happily catching Pidgeys to level up instead of trying to track it down, you're likely in the minority. It's great stumbling unto Pokemon, but the whole purpose of the game is tracking them down. It's how it was designed, it's how it was advertised, it's how it worked until like two weeks ago. To say the game isn't currently completely broken in regards to that is a lie. Both me and the gf felt a lot less inclined to walk around catching pokemon today after this update and I expect we will play a lot less until some sort of tracking is brought back. We're both level 23, catching Pidgeys to gain xp has sort of lost it's charm.

you don't give them mail and password,it works through google plus..it gives you a identification code that you give to the website

I don't really care about EVs, most said it will have a small boost if anything. Plus there's no squirtles around here so this was my chance unless I want to wait a year from now to have enough candy to do it.

Complistic

I am baffled they removed the in game tracker and aren't allowing pokevision. How is anyone suppose to play now? Can someone link the nearby gaf alternative please?

Drac

About PokéAdvisor, how does it determine you lvl 1 pokémon IVs? For exemple a lvl 1 Pidgey can only have no more and no less than 10 CP and 10 HP. Does it have access to more invisible informations since it's actually using our account to check our pokémon?

lt519

Bummed the GAF nearby tool (non-cheating version) isu no longer working. That kept the game fun with the hope of hunting down rares still being a realistic goal.

Probably done until they fix that short of hatching eggs.

Thank you to whoever put that tool together, was fantastic!

Red Fire

Seth

I had been debating on deleting the game even before this update. The gyms are a waste of time, and honestly I was getting really tired of worrying about taking them. There are two in view of my house, and i just couldn't make myself not watch them all day. They got taken pretty often so i was going back and forth a lot taking them back. Got really old. The tracker was broke, so i did use pokevision to be able to find anything more than pidgeys and rattas. There are some good spawns around my neighborhood, and i check the whole place out multiple times a day while walking m dog, but i was able to use pokevision to take a look while i wasn't intending to go out.

Now pokevision doesn't work, the tracker doesn't work, there are less spawns in my neighborhood, the pokemon have become significantly harder to catch (they keep breaking out), the new animation after winning a gym is so long that i am literally unable to get a pokemon in before someone else sneaks in before me, and now stuff like pokevision doesn't work. All from one update. And on top of this niantic can't be bothered to engage the community or even inform players of downtime or simply say "sorry things are broke, working on it". Its gotten better but early on it let me with hours of being unable to play and having no idea when it might be fixed.

I've finally been able to make myself delete the app. Maybe ill revisit next time theres a major update (adding gen 2?). Anyone else just completely frustrated with this mess of a game and decided to stop playing as well?

flkraven

Just about everyone I knew playing this game used poke vision. I've actually caught a few pokemon I never had because someone pointed me in the right direction with it. Personally, I'm glad it's gone. The game is more about adventuring, not knowing everything about your map at any moment. Poke vision is really unfair for those trying to play the game only using the tool provided.

They should fix steps though.

Geneijin

You will eventually catch them all. To me what you call "collecting and hunting" seems more like "instant gratification". That's why it'll be nice when a new system comes in that, but getting so riled up about it seems so silly to me. Like, just wait.
Is it really that hard for you to acknowledge that just maybe you have different expectations? I already tried to explain it to you why people feel strongly about a core aspect of the game. Feel free to even outright disagree how they should feel about it. Outlandish, silly - same thing. No need to sugarcoat it. Nothing silly about that if you could understand already.

Nodnol

Does s/he have more than one google account? For some reason, my wife's iPhone auto-logged in to her main, but she had used her alt to sign in originally. She thought her account had been reset, but we just had to log out and log back in with her alt.

That was my first suggestion to him. Nothing. :-(

Welp, ive been spending a little bit of money at a time on this game since day 1, wont be now. if i cant track a pokemon im not gonna wonder around in circles like an idiot looking not even knowing if im close or if its even there. niantic is fucking this game up majorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom