• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSFan

Just about everyone I knew playing this game used poke vision. I've actually caught a few pokemon I never had because someone pointed me in the right direction with it. Personally, I'm glad it's gone. The game is more about adventuring, not knowing everything about your map at any moment. Poke vision is really unfair for those trying to play the game only using the tool provided.

They should fix steps though.

Again, how the hell is it unfair to anyone? The Pokemon will still be there if it's caught by someone because of a tracker. And the game isn't a race to catch a Pokemon that spawns. And it doesn't even make levelling unfair since the rarer one don't even spawn that often.

The game is about what the player wants it to be about, if you think it's about adventuring fine, but don't try force your way of playing on everyone else.

Wait, really? Ugh

Only for iOS, it's still in the Android version.

t3_4vh3xy
Thats weird...

Complistic

Been playing this everyday since it came out but im uninstalling until footsteps or pokevision is back. No point otherwise, theres nothing to "play".

flkraven

Again, how the hell is it unfair to anyone? The Pokemon will still be there if it's caught by someone because of a tracker. And the game isn't a race to catch a Pokemon that spawns. And it doesn't even make levelling unfair since the rarer one don't even spawn that often.

The game is about what the player wants it to be about, if you think it's about adventuring fine, but don't try force your way of playing on everyone else.

Only for iOS, it's still in the Android version.

What do you mean don't try to force everyone else. Don't the terms of service specifically forbid this? It was something not allowed from the get go, so it's not my fault you got used to it.

It's unfair because someone sitting on their ass anywhere can locate all the local nests without doing anything. It's unfair because someone ten blocks away can see the dragonite that spawned in a weird location and easily get it while the person playing legit cannot. Where do we draw the line for third party assistance? Poke vision virtually put you anywhere so you can see the pokemon there. How about just a spoofer that literally puts you there to nab pokemon? What's the difference really.

Also, you contradict yourself. You say the game isn't about a race to catch every pokemon, but then say it's whatever you want it to be.

cHinzo

Fck it I'm out too. Not gonna ride my bike around in circles for 2 hours only finding pidgeys and rattatas. Especially when there are very few Pokestops in my neighbourhood and Pokeballs are hard to get without going to a big city. Being able to find rare Pokemons like Psyducks and Eevees at least made the game exciting even though I had to ride through big parts of the town to get them.

Red Fire

The "capturing got harder since the update" is totally a myth btw. Quite the opposite. Caught around 8 or 9 pokemon since the update. Except for 2 pokemon (pidgey and rattata) i got all with one pokeball without berries, including a few orange circles and a pidgeotto with an almost red one.

I'm level 22 so even capturing trash mon usually takes a while sometimes. Not today though. Quite happy with that.

Wait, really? Ugh

Fck it I'm out too. Not gonna ride my bike around in circles for 2 hours only finding pidgeys and rattatas. Especially when there are very few Pokestops in my neighbourhood and Pokeballs are hard to get without going to a big city. Being able to find rare Pokemons like Psyducks and Eevees at least made the game exciting even though I had to ride through big parts of the town to get them.

EXACTLY how i feel. and people say mons are harder to catch now, could they have done this to encourage people to buy pokeballs? niantic is a pretty shitty company in my books right now.

Majukun

What do you mean don't try to force everyone else. Don't the terms of service specifically forbid this? It was something not allowed from the get go, so it's not my fault you got used to it.

It's unfair because someone sitting on their ass anywhere can locate all the local nests without doing anything. It's unfair because someone ten blocks away can see the dragonite that spawned in a weird location and easily get it while the person playing legit cannot. Where do we draw the line for third party assistance? Poke vision virtually put you anywhere so you can see the pokemon there. How about just a spoofer that literally puts you there to nab pokemon? What's the difference really.

the game that should be about finding pokpmon doesn't actually let you find poèmon because the tracking instruments in the game itself don't work,and now have been completely eliminated by the developers
forget about finding nests..here we are talking about people that have very few pokpmon spawning in their area and can't even get those because now they can't even track them down

i'm all for the lack of pokèvision,as long as the game gives us instruments to find a pokèmon if it's at least nearby...the "steps" system wsn't great but at least it could be used, but now we don't even have that

PSFan

Also, you contradict yourself. You say the game isn't about a race to catch every pokemon, but then say it's whatever you want it to be.

They don't "sit on their ass". People still have to get to them in time, and usually after catching them they'll stay out and cruise around. I know I do, I cruise Pokestops, maybe pop a lure or incense and hang with others at the Pokestop. And yes, I do actually spend money on the game, buying lures, incubators and incense.

And again, it's not a contest or a race to get a Pokemon. I've told people I've seen playing that there's a particular Pokemon a block or so away and people have told me. We are all able to catch it.

I agree that they should fix steps, but you also have lures and incense that increase spawn rates.

Yeah, of Pidgeys and Rattattas and Caterpies. Very little else though.

flkraven

the game that should be about finding pokpmon doesn't actually let you find poèmon because the tracking instruments in the game itself don't work,and now have been completely eliminated by the developers
forget about finding nests..here we are talking about people that have very few pokpmon spawning in their area and can't even get those because now they can't even track them down

i'm all for the lack of pokèvision,as long as the game gives us instruments to find a pokèmon if it's at least nearby...the "steps" system wsn't great but at least it could be used, but now we don't even have that

I agree that they should fix steps, but you also have lures and incense that increase spawn rates.

Seik

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gr39Xhwwxc

Chaos17

Gonna soon go out for my walk, need to refill my pokeballs, been 2 days I didn't do it. So the shutting down of pokeradars doesn't really concern me because I just following the pokespots but I understand the anger.

People would've been less mad if they fixed the tracker before taking care of the pokeradars.

dity

Everyone can play how they want, but I think I can safely say that if you spot a Charizard in your nearby list and just continue on your way happily catching Pidgeys to level up instead of trying to track it down, you're likely in the minority. It's great stumbling unto Pokemon, but the whole purpose of the game is tracking them down. It's how it was designed, it's how it was advertised, it's how it worked until like two weeks ago. To say the game isn't currently completely broken in regards to that is a lie. Both me and the gf felt a lot less inclined to walk around catching pokemon today after this update and I expect we will play a lot less until some sort of tracking is brought back. We're both level 23, catching Pidgeys to gain xp has sort of lost it's charm.
I'd be like "holy shit that's a Charizard shadow" and continue on. It would be cool to run into it, but I'm out on a walk for the sake of a walk with Pokemon catching too. I'm not just out to catch Pokemon.

And hey, they also advertised battling and trading originally too. We don't properly have either of those yet either.

cHinzo

Perfect. I'm almost lvl 20 now and have only seen 52 different Pokemons even with using Pokevision, the free incenses and modules and hatching tons of eggs when riding my bike. Is it too much to ask for some Pokemon diversity for people like us? Rarest Pokemon I've found was a Slowbro which is the only 1K CP Pokemon I've gotten. 1k CP Pokemons are also a pretty rare sight to see in the gyms.

Future

Pokevision was a bit much: telling you exactly where to go to get Pokemon. But since there is no game design in the hunt, sites like that didn't seem like cheats but NECESSARY to make a game out of this game. Without it, what am I really supposed to do to try to do anything? Only word of mouth of where Pokemon not be?

It's like dark souls without the messages

Teppic

A Caterpie at cp 64 broke out three times, usually I catch it everytime. I'm lv 13. Maybe they did change things in the update.

dity

The "capturing got harder since the update" is totally a myth btw. Quite the opposite. Caught around 8 or 9 pokemon since the update. Except for 2 pokemon (pidgey and rattata) i got all with one pokeball without berries, including a few orange circles and a pidgeotto with an almost red one.

I'm level 22 so even capturing trash mon usually takes a while sometimes. Not today though. Quite happy with that.

I echo this. Most of the Pokemon I caught today were just in a few throws - except for a Zubat and one Poke that ran away. I think people are just hyper aware of their throw and Pokeball count now and didn't pay much attention before because it was a new thing. Now that things have changed, people are getting into the nitty gritty.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So uh, logging in now has me create a new character and it seems everything I had before has been wiped? My old character apparently still exists... somewhere, because I can't name my new character after the old one... I'm frustrated and confused, I had just hit lv. 20 and I do not want to lose that progress...

Seth

as my final stand with the game before deleting it, i tried a lure after the most recent changes. in 30 minutes I saw 2 rattatas, and 1 pidgey. i used 40 pokeballs, and caught exactly 0 of them. They were all under 300 cp as well, nothing impressive. but yeah, i think i can finally rest now.

flkraven

So uh, logging in now has me create a new character and it seems everything I had before has been wiped? My old character apparently still exists... somewhere, because I can't name my new character after the old one... I'm frustrated and confused, I had just hit lv. 20 and I do not want to lose that progress...

Did you sideload the game in your region early before it came out?

as my final stand with the game before deleting it, i tried a lure after the most recent changes. in 30 minutes I saw 2 rattatas, and 1 pidgey. i used 40 pokeballs, and caught exactly 0 of them. They were all under 300 cp as well, nothing impressive. but yeah, i think i can finally rest now.

I'm gonna head out and see what happens, and see if the in game tracker is even worth a damn.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Holy shit.

Velcro Fly

I have a little league field across the street from my house as well as a church across from that. I can continuously walk around the parking lot and be able to keep hitting both stops.

Also got my first egg and it is a 5km egg.

This is a fun game for when I'm farming steps on my 3DS

ymgve

Just curious - how many times did they escape? If you're bad at throwing it can't really be blamed on the game (Unless they messed with the throwing mechanics in the recent patch)

Also, a 300cp Pidgey or Rattata is actually pretty high up there. Probably had orange or red circles?

Welp, ive been spending a little bit of money at a time on this game since day 1, wont be now. if i cant track a pokemon im not gonna wonder around in circles like an idiot looking not even knowing if im close or if its even there. niantic is fucking this game up majorly.

Ummm anyone who plays this game looks like that anyway.

Falchion

Welp I can no longer find the Pokemon I need to finish out the Pokedex unless I randomly walk right into them or get lucky enough to see people yelling off in the distance about something. This blows.

Seth

Just curious - how many times did they escape? If you're bad at throwing it can't really be blamed on the game (Unless they messed with the throwing mechanics in the recent patch)

Also, a 300cp Pidgey or Rattata is actually pretty high up there. Probably had orange or red circles?

I maybe missed one or two balls, they ALL just broke out and eventually ran. Its been like this since last night after i updated actually, so not exclusive to the incense for me. In general pokemon just got far more difficult to catch. I was and am level 24 before/after the changes and have noticed a difference at being at the same level. So its not that i leveled up and it became more difficult due to that.

I will give them one thing, the random curve balls i used to get aren't happening anymore. Maybe they made the curve detection a bit less sensitive.

edit: at 24, its most common for things to be over 200CP for me. infact, the update seems to have slightly increased the CP i see on wild pokemon. Before patch, the highest evee i saw was 608. After patch, ive seen 3 over 700. Not that i was able to fucking catch them though.

I don't know if anyone else has the same but it feels like they rotated where pokemon spawn over the last couple days? I'm finally no longer getting 200 doduos and nothing else and I'm seeing pokemon I've never seen before.

L.O.R.D

Is this your first one? Think it's always been that it only works three times - one for each Eeveelution.

Have you used it before to get a Vaporeon? Because you can only use it once per evolution type. I don't think they'd patch something that they explicitly stated was an easter egg.

tbh,this is not mine,it's from my friend,i'll ask him if he tried to evolve before.

ymgve

I maybe missed one or two balls, they ALL just broke out and eventually ran. Its been like this since last night after i updated actually, so not exclusive to the incense for me. In general pokemon just got far more difficult to catch. I was and am level 24 before/after the changes and have noticed a difference at being at the same level. So its not that i leveled up and it became more difficult due to that.

I will give them one thing, the random curve balls i used to get aren't happening anymore. Maybe they made the curve detection a bit less sensitive.

edit: at 24, its most common for things to be over 200CP for me. infact, the update seems to have slightly increased the CP i see on wild pokemon. Before patch, the highest evee i saw was 608. After patch, ive seen 3 over 700. Not that i was able to fucking catch them though.

Strange, I haven't noticed any differences on the few Pokes I've catched today. I haven't updated yet, but as far as I understand the probability of catching/fleeing is tested serverside so any changes should affect everyone.

zroid

Banned
I've now heard people say Niantic made it easier to catch Pokémon in the new update, and other people say they made it harder to catch them

maybe the truth is it's still just as random as it was before

Farewell

If i evolve a pokemon i will get 500 exp for it, right? Now if it evolves into a "new" pokemon, will i get 500 extra exp for it? So that means with lucky egg 2000 exp?

There's no need to argue with people who believe the trackers were fine. They're the same people who will say they can wallhack in a FPS because their sound is not working properly.

The whole game's idea is to hit new spots out of curiosity, linking your real life experience with a fun pretext. With internet and just talking to people, you know about the best spots in your area, plus you can always go explore that park you heard about a couple years back, etc.

The violence of their words right now speaks more of their unwillingness to walk or look outside their screen. That's not something you discuss, they'll be stubborn.

My wife booted up the game today and was prompted to resign in with her Google Account. Upon doing so, she noticed it was doing the intro stuff again. Then it asked her to name her character and she was level 1. Tried restarting the game, the phone, log out/in, nothing worked. She had a level 1 character now. She was level 17. Now have to go through the tech support stuff now.

Pardon me if I'm a slowbro and this is old news.

My attempt to get into this game has hit a wall, seems this morning Niantic's starting to kill a lot of the radar-type websites out there. The one I used was PokeVision and it's already shut down.

More info here: http://kotaku.com/pokevision-and-other-pokemon-go-trackers-seem-to-have-b-1784602025

I think public reaction could be very vocal to Niantic. If nothing returns in a few days though, I'll likely give up the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom