• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymgve

This can't be true given that those using Pokemon scanners can always predict what's gonna spawn, and trainers being around doesn't change that

A trainer being around has no effect on what the scanner shows

Edit: i've never used scanners, but I've read this is how they were pre-patch

If you're saying this is what you believe is happening post patch, then I have no idea

Well, Pokemon could spawn in response to trainers, but then Pokevision etc should have ruined spawns since they act like a crowd of level 1 trainers teleporting around everywhere.

By scanner I mean those using apps that game in game data

They are (or at least were) 100% accurate

I updated my post to be clear, I was referring to those scanners too. I live in a rural area and PokéVision would usually only show the regular vermin, with more interesting Pokémon at busy beaches or in denser cities. But when I would go out and explore, in addition to these Pokémon, I would sometimes also find "more interesting" ones as well. Sometimes it's just the evolved form of common Pokémon, like Raticate or Venomoth, and Weepinbell. Other times it was starters or Pokémon that don't usually spawn in that area. These Pokémon wouldn't appear on the trackers until "I" spawned them.

I put I in quotes because obviously these things could just randomly be spawning when I get there, but it happens all the time, and with better and better Pokémon as I level.

weekev

Banned
I'm still a noob but got pretty excited when I caught a wild bulbasaur. I remember the times when you needed a mate with his own version of Pokémon red/blue and a data transfer cable who was also willing to restart his own save file to get all the starters.

L95

Are the graphics different after the update? I swear I can't see the red glow on a shaking pokeball as well as I could before, for example

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So uh, logging in now has me create a new character and it seems everything I had before has been wiped? My old character apparently still exists... somewhere, because I can't name my new character after the old one... I'm frustrated and confused, I had just hit lv. 20 and I do not want to lose that progress...
So I'm back from work now and tried some 'fixes' ( they didn't work ) and am freaking out right now. Anyone got any idea on what to do? iPhone if that matters...
EDIT: Crisis averted! I was messing with me accounts.

XShagrath

So I'm back from work now and tried some 'fixes' ( they didn't work ) and am freaking out right now. Anyone got any idea on what to do? iPhone if that matters...
Are you sure it's not trying to sign in with a different Google account? This happened to me this morning. I had to go through with the account creation before I could get to settings and sign out. Then when I went back in, I could sign in under my real account.

Family day out. Tons of pokestops. 5yo son ragequit game as he couldn't catch the "easy" crap stuff I always let him take :(

I still think that's just pure circumstance as I haven't had any low lvl issues, or more than before anyway.

Have had the same experience (not the rage quit). Lower level Pokemon took me about 5/6 times to catch, before 1/2. So yeah, the patch changed things.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are the graphics different after the update? I swear I can't see the red glow on a shaking pokeball as well as I could before, for example

The Pokeballs are now more lo-res. You can just about see it in the items menu too.

Chaos17

Nope, many have that problem, if you're lucky, the game might have logged on the wrong account if not then you can only fill this form: https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us

And if Niantic still doesn't help you after a few days, you ask a refund if you spend mooney on IOS store (only): https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4vgncl/psa_itunes_refundpokemon_go_purchases/

This game has become UNFAIR at level 15 now.
Almost all pokemons with over 200 CP escape 4-5 times.
Just now a Poliwhirl with 445 CP appeared. I caught him like 10 times, he escaped each times. 2-3 throws were great, nice etc. But still he escaped and ran away.
Some pokemon just appear to take your pokeballs and run away.
I might give up on this game.

Durden77

I'm honestly not noticing the Pokemon being hard to catch or anything. I'm actually really enjoying the visual/audio additions and such from this update.

styl3s

Do they have any intention of actually correcting the horrible mistake of resetting peoples accounts or should i just delete the app now? I logged on yesterday and for the 2nd time since the game came out it asked me to create a character and all progress was lost.

jtrov

Just now a Poliwhirl with 445 CP appeared. I caught him like 10 times, he escaped each times. 2-3 throws were great, nice etc. But still he escaped and ran away.

Feeling the exact same way after the update. With how much candy is needed to grind for certain evolutions it's become more frustrating and less fun catching pokemon. If pokemon are gonna break out of 5 or more balls at low cp, then it just isn't worth playing to me. Bah.. It's a shame because I really enjoy the hunt, but yeah this patch is just depressing. No battery saver, ugly new pokeball graphics and breakfree animation, seeing throws that used to catch pokemon now clip through the sides or top of their heads... It just feels all types of jank now. Fun is beginning to wain. :(

Feeling the exact same way after the update. With how much candy is needed to grind for certain evolutions it's become more frustrating and less fun catching pokemon. If pokemon are gonna break out of 5 or more balls at low cp, then it just isn't worth playing to me. Bah.. It's a shame because I really enjoy the hunt, but yeah this patch is just depressing. No battery saver, ugly new pokeball graphics and breakfree animation, seeing throws that used to catch pokemon now clip through the sides or top of their heads... It just feels all types of jank now. Fun is beginning to wain. :(

Yeah. I would just stick to hatching the eggs and catch (try to catch) only rare Pokemon.

Growlie19

Made it to the level 20 club and hatched a Growlithe today! Just need another 35 candies for it. Pretty good day so far (other than losing those Pokémon tracking sites).

Has anyone had it where their eggs say 5/5km when you inspect them, but they aren't actually hatching?

Happened with me today. It showed 5/5KM and it wasn't hatching. I thought it was bugged. Restarted the app few times, nothing worked. Then after few minutes it hatched.

Ishida

Banned

Not only those. Even Pokémon with extremely low CP are breaking out Pokeballs as if they were nothing. They really want us to buy Pokeballs with money, don't they? Well, fuck that.

3phemeral

is such a thing even possible?
how can they read that data anyway?

not that i'm complaining since in average my IV is slightly better than the results from pokè assistant,but still

but would niantic make such data easily readable just like that?
seems like something it wouldn't be so easy to get from the servers

Yeah, it is.

In other games, like Summoners War, where there is far more complex combinations for optimizing your monsters, players have found a way to passively intercept Game-Save data where you can extract your inventory and catalog your rune/mon lists. This way, you can do everything from keeping a detailed record of your monster's power levels, more easily identify crappy runes, and also develop formulas that will find the best rune combinations for your monsters so that you don't sit there for hours calculating them manually.

The in-game rune organizer sucks, so people have developed better tools to get what they want. This is pretty much the same thing only it's a super simple game in comparison.

This method (at least for Summoners War) avoids manipulating actual game code, so it's not a bannable TOS violation.

So Pokevision and the like have been shut down but what about those apps that people developed for personal use? I have Pokemon Go Map Master that runs on Python and while it still seems to work slightly, ever since the update it's been acting weird. It shows almost 0 Pokemon sometimes and it missed quite a few.

dity

I'm sorry, but this apologist attitude towards a fundamentally broken game really sucks.
Dude, I just went for a walk and got six Pokemon. Eight technically but I candied the Psyduck and Pinsir. Not a single zubat or rattata in sight, and all I did was go out for a simple walk. Only one escaped (Weedle), and I caught the rest in under 5 throws. Call it "broken" all you want but I had a bloody fun walk. I'm up to 72 Pokemon caught now and almost have 70km.

nFejPW8.jpg

ymgve

So Pokevision and the like have been shut down but what about those apps that people developed for personal use? I have Pokemon Go Map Master that runs on Python and while it still seems to work slightly, ever since the update it's been acting weird. It shows almost 0 Pokemon sometimes and it missed quite a few.

There needs to be approx 5 seconds between each query (most map apps do several at once to cover a larger area) or you get no Pokemon in the response.

Not only those. Even Pokémon with extremely low CP are breaking out Pokeballs as if they were nothing. They really want us to buy Pokeballs with money, don't they? Well, fuck that.

Yeah its almost like cheating. I am not going to buy a single item from their shop now. Fuck it. I will just visit Pokestops whenever I get time and that's it.

sophora

Has anyone had it where their eggs say 5/5km when you inspect them, but they aren't actually hatching?

Had it happen to me on a 5k egg. Just kept walking and a few minutes later the egg hatched. Guess it has to do with how they track walking.

I'm Lv.18 and about 25% left to Lv.19, haven't really been committing much to leveling and pleased with how fast it's been just catching/evolving fodder pokemon. Guess I've been also getting nice exp just from a park I use to restock items/exercise. Honestly the game helps me push a bit more out of my exercise routine just for the few more items I'd get. Noticed the higher amount of regular pokeballs for the fodder pokemon today, guess if they break out of the 2nd pokeball I'll just throw a greatball and move on. No point in wasting more than 3 on fodder, there will always been more.

ymgve

So let's say I'm an idiot, which I am, and I don't know a lot about this stuff. How would I download this new version and replace my old one?

Not sure what setup you have etc so I'm not gonna try tech support. Just do whatever you did last time I guess? There's probably some posts on /r/pokemongo over at reddit which can help too.

Zafir

Had it happen to me on a 5k egg. Just kept walking and a few minutes later the egg hatched. Guess it has to do with how they track walking.

I'm Lv.18 and about 25% left to Lv.19, haven't really been committing much to leveling and pleased with how fast it's been just catching/evolving fodder pokemon. Guess I've been also getting nice exp just from a park I use to restock items/exercise. Honestly the game helps me push a bit more out of my exercise routine just for the few more items I'd get. Noticed the higher amount of regular pokeballs for the fodder pokemon today, guess if they break out of the 2nd pokeball I'll just throw a greatball and move on. No point in wasting more than 3 on fodder, there will always been more.

It's gotten to the stage where I just chuck a single pokeball at fodder pokemon, if it breaks I don't even bother. Especially now I've just hit 20, it's so damn slow to level anyway, whats the point in wasting my pokeballs. I don't go anywhere near pokestops enough to warrant it. Far to easy to run out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got my refund.

$71, thank you very much

Well, Pokemon could spawn in response to trainers, but then Pokevision etc should have ruined spawns since they act like a crowd of level 1 trainers teleporting around everywhere.

Pokemon spawning has something to do with cellphone density, or presence of trainers. I'm 100% positive.

I work kind of out in the middle of nowhere. There are few pokestops, few houses, and no gyms anywhere near the facility.

However, the facility itself is pretty big. 1200 employees or so, plus several hundred visitors a day.

The kicker is that cellphones are banned from inside the facility for security reasons, so everyone, employees and visitors alike tends to use their cellphones from the exact same spot in the parking lot and nowhere else.

The result of this is that you will be mobbed by 6 to 8 random Pokemon all sitting at the exact same spot in that lot every single day like clockwork. There are a few more wandering but they all cluster in that spot. It's not a nest either, you'll rarely see more than two of the same kind.

I pick up a half dozen when I arrive in the morning and a half dozen when I leave. I've left the app running while going around the perimeter of the building as well as on the access road leading to the facility (it's a half mile) and rarely get a reaction out of it.

The locator apps- poke vision and the github one all show this as well. Complete dead zone with Pokemon randomly clustered in what looks like an empty field.

ymgve

Pokemon spawning has nothing to do with present cell phone density. I've watched the same Pokespawns for a week now and they are all regular and none appear or disappear.

I assume it's all based on the phone usage from Ingress players. I guess wherever you work is tech focused and there are/were a few Ingress players among your coworkers.

To any iOS users worried about Niantic banning their account if they ask for a refund:

I found an old reply from Apple to an app developer asking if they could get a user's information after a refund - this basically confirms Apple DOES NOT provide that info when requested:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...rs-in-app-purchase-has-been-refunded-by-apple

"Thank you for following up with me regarding the refund transaction data.
We will not be able to provide you with the refund transaction data you have requested as it is not a feature or benefit provided to you per the contracts you have agreed to.
To view your paid applications contract and review your membership benefits, please access the contracts, tax and banking module within iTunes Connect:

http://itunesconnect.apple.com

If you are not happy with large refunds, you may want to consider adjusting the price of your in-app purchases as we will not be able to provide you with the refund transaction data in the future."

More recent proof directly from Apple:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26818114/get-details-about-ios-app-refund

"Thank you for contacting us about your Sales and Trends reports.
I understand that you are wanting more information regarding refunds.
You can find Refund information for your content by filtering your Top Content dashboard to Transaction Type > Refund. Refunds will be indicated as negative values.
Apple does not provide customer or refund information at this time.
If you have further questions regarding your sales reports, please let us know. We're happy to help.
Best regards,
Julie
iTunes Provider Support"

Pokemon spawning has nothing to do with present cell phone density. I've watched the same Pokespawns for a week now and they are all regular and none appear or disappear.

I assume it's all based on the phone usage from Ingress players. I guess wherever you work is tech focused and there are/were a few Ingress players among your coworkers.

Not only is it not tech focused, ingress players shouldn't be anywhere near it since you cannot walk around the grounds unauthorized. Security will stop you or shoot you.

It's 1800 acres of cornfield with two roads in and out of it.

There is literally zero pedestrian traffic in or around that building.

BlakeofT

I had a level 3 gym taken away from me (it's super rare to find any instinct gym at all). Somebody took it out 1 2 3. But not a single person was in sight... I wish there was a way to report people for gps spoofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom