• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay RaR

Ate lunch with my family that conveniently had a Pokestop in the restaurant. Activated a lure there and amongst the waves of commons a Ka-doob-rah showed up! Neato!

Not

Banned
Is anyone else actually happy with the game that Niantic designed and never used 3rd party trackers or the footsteps and is happy the playing field is once again level? I might truly be the only one.

Is anyone else actually happy with the game that Niantic designed and never used 3rd party trackers or the footsteps and is happy the playing field is once again level? I might truly be the only one.

Niantic designed a game with tracking. Try again.

zroid

Banned

It doesn't bother me that much, but I understand others' frustrations. The game was released in my country after the tracking feature had been disabled so I never even knew there was something missing till people told me.

DrkSage

I still say the catch difficulty raise is just placebo and pure circumstance. I havent had any more problems than normally catching stuff today.
This. I haven't had problems at all today. Sometimes pokemons are dicks, sometimes they're not. Today I'm catching cp500+ pokemons like eggxecute with a single pokeball, unlike Friday where even cp86 pidgeys and weedles would brake multiple pokeballs.

Teknoman

The footsteps were supposed to be in game. The uproar is that they have removed the footstep image (which got glitched a few updates back), and now have put a stop to tracking websites/apps.

What people want is for them to hurry and fix/reimplement the tracker or even an improved tracker.

zroid

Banned
Same. Been fine for me. The same failure rate & pokemon findings have been the same for me.

A bright yelllow ring Bellsprout just broke out of 6 straight Poké Balls until I finally just threw a Great Ball and caught it

30 seconds later, a dark orange ring Tauros was caught on the first Poké Ball I threw

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been having trouble catching Pokemon since I hit level 20, but I do find the update has made it even more frequent for them to flee/break free on green rings.

I don't like the "broke free" text which slows down the next Poke Ball loading. The new intro fade in and flee animation are also slow.

I especially don't like these new swipe mechanics. Curve balls are worse and distant to swipe has been messed with. It just feels odd. Maybe it's the whole "nobody likes change" thing, but I really wasn't having fun with it.

The Pokemon are also crazier now. They attack and jump way more than they used to. Lots of wasted balls made frustrating with the changes to the ball mechanics as a whole. The added craziness I can sort of allow if the Pokemon doing it were actually any good based on player level (is it?)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's crazy what this game does. In Belgium there's a very small town near Antwerp called Lillo. It's only a few streets in size, but there are a few stops closeby. Over the last days/weeks, a lot of rare pokemon were spotted there, and the town has been overrun by trainers, to the point where most of the inhabitants have started complaining, and are asking people to leave at around 23h. Since it's summer vacation, there's constantly trainers running around. Bar owners are happy, others not.

I've seen lists of Pokémon found there and it's nuts what people come home with.

Owari

How does Niantic removing footsteps level the playing field?

ymgve

This. I haven't had problems at all today. Sometimes pokemons are dicks, sometimes they're not. Today I'm catching cp500+ pokemons like eggxecute with a single pokeball, unlike Friday where even cp86 pidgeys and weedles would brake multiple pokeballs.

Considering how bad Niantic is at running the rest of the game, it wouldn't surprise me if they have decided to do some unannounced A/B testing on the whole player base, and half of us are getting the same catch rates while the other half is getting worse.

cHinzo

Sitting at my PC messing around
Running scans on my phone
Suddenly BLASTOISE 4 blocks away

Jump in my car in nothing but a shirt and slippers

Fucking worth it

Fcking awesome man! Havent seen any final evos yet. Only saw Pikachu, Squirtle and an Ivysaur in the wild (although the servers went down right when Ivysaur came up lol. :<)

If it makes you feel any worse, anyone could use PokeVision before. It required zero technical know-how and was readily available. Now PokeVision is gone but the user developed program it ran on is still up and running. So now only people who have the desire/google savvy can use it. The playing field hasn't been leveled. Quite the opposite even.

Not

Banned
If it makes you feel any worse, anyone could use PokeVision before. It required zero technical know-how and was readily available. Now PokeVision is gone but the user developed program it ran on is still up and running. So now only people who have the desire/google savvy can use it. The playing field hasn't been leveled. Quite the opposite even.

Well at least it's been maximized, if not entirely leveled.

Teknoman

A bright yelllow ring Bellsprout just broke out of 6 straight Poké Balls until I finally just threw a Great Ball and caught it

30 seconds later, a dark orange ring Tauros was caught on the first Poké Ball I threw

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I've been having trouble catching Pokemon since I hit level 20, but I do find the update has made it even more frequent for them to flee/break free on green rings.

I don't like the "broke free" text which slows down the next Poke Ball loading. The new intro fade in and flee animation are also slow.

I especially don't like these new swipe mechanics. Curve balls are worse and distant to swipe has been messed with. It just feels odd. Maybe it's the whole "nobody likes change" thing, but I really wasn't having fun with it.

The Pokemon are also crazier now. They attack and jump way more than they used to. Lots of wasted balls made frustrating with the changes to the ball mechanics as a whole. The added craziness I can sort of allow if the Pokemon doing it were actually any good based on player level (is it?)

Looks like standard catching shenanigans to me. Lvl 15 here though, so unless it significantly changes at a higher level, and this is occurring with every Pokemon, I think its just the same randomness as usual.

Rippounette

Neo Member
Did they also change the tracking for egg hatching? I've literally laid in bed all day and gained 1.25 km somehow.

Are you in a relatively remote place? Happens to me all the time in my parent's home, which is in a very rural town. The GPS is kinda lost and I can hatch entire eggs without moving.

How do you transfer Pokemon now? The button is gone.

It's there, it's in the menu on the right when you select a Pokémon.

L Thammy

A lvl 46 caterpie broke free of 5 balls before finally being caught. What the hell?

Also, I think the hit boxes have been altered to a tinier window.

It's like Pikachu in the anime, it doesn't want to be caged. You have to befriend it now.

But seriously that happens all the time.

KevinRo

I don't feel angry at all. It's quite hilarious tbh. I told everyone I knew I don't use those tracking websites because I consider it cheating etc. I played the game fine without it and I'm level 24.

Are you in a relatively remote place? Happens to me all the time in my parent's home, which is in a very rural town. The GPS is kinda lost and I can hatch entire eggs without moving.

It's there, it's in the menu on the right when you select a Pokémon.
OH didn't realize you could tap on that. Thanks.

Kinokou

To the user who developed pokemonnearby.io:
You were a real champ. Thanks to you, I found a Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee in the exact location they showed up on the map. Sucks that all that work you did is now useless. :/

Gotta get behind this. When it was posted I finally felt I had found a tracker with the right amount of information to let me hunt decently for specific things (both with and without the map!) and not just dump all the pokemon in my lap and ruin all the surprises.

woopWOOP

So is there any special meaning to that blue glow that's behind a few Pokemon in my Pokebox? Can't figure out what it's supposed to indicate.

pringles

A few things seem obvious to me post-patch:

- Pokemon are much more erratic, they attack and jump MUCH more and flee more often
- Placement of pokemon in non-AR mode seems different as well as the whole curve-throw mechanic, kinda need to re-learn throws
-GPS is less accurate, more prone to having the character run around even if you're standing still or not getting the right fix on your location (very obvious when fighting in gyms with other people), on the flip side eggs were hatching really quickly today due to this

Capture rates I'm not sure have been tweaked.

Rellik

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I had a Magikarp escape my Great Ball. I only used it because it became personal after it kept breaking from my normal balls.

I just updated to 0.31, and the app forced me to login, after trying to login, my account was reset to 0, no pokemon, no items, nothing, ... I then restarted the app and even after entering my google account details, it says the nickname is already taken.

Has anyone experienced this ?

I really feel like crap knowing I've lost all my progress (I was at level 11)

F*** !!!!!

Edit: Deleting the App fixed the issue :/ my account is back to normal.

3phemeral

Aside from the near-endless variety of Pokemon that spawn at the Santa Monica Pier, the Pokeball-themed Ferris Wheel is another good reason to visit:

MFawtZX.gif

Permanently A

At the end, the problem comes back to communication. A simple "we are removing the steps to prevent confusion until we can get it back up and running" would alleviate all concerns.

Instead we get this.

udivision

At the end, the problem comes back to communication. A simple "we are removing the steps to prevent confusion until we can get it back up and running" would alleviate all concerns.

Instead we get this.

Heck, even "Steps have been temporarily removed" in the patch notes instead of "removed" could have avoided this hysteria.

There's no reason to believe it's ever coming back, even though it could.

Owari

Heck, even "Steps have been temporarily removed" in the patch notes instead of "removed" could have avoided this hysteria.

There's no reason to believe it's ever coming back, even though it could.
The update to the TOS indicates it's never coming back.

Nikokuno

Chasing with friends today; was a good day ...

Jardins des Plantes (France) was packed didn't expect that. I caught like 12 bulbasaurs, 1 Scyther, 1 Eevee, 1 Slowbro and 1 Dragonair when we're about to leave the garden was so surprising.

Parc Montsouris was a Magmar land nothing very extraordinary except that fucking Porygon but walk was fun.

During that walk between parcs we caught a Dratini and a Pidgeot.

Also, PKMN breaking free or leaving after tasting your berry is more common. Even low CP Weedle are now thug lifing me when breaking the ball free.

Also saw a guy looking at us like he want to know our names to write 'em down in his death note because we take down his Gym like nothing. Hilarious.

Nodnol

Anecdotal, but I don't think the catch rate has changed; my expectations have.

Now I'm a level 20 trainer, a CP70 Weedle should bow down before me...or atleast I expect it to.

Whether it be candies for second stage Pokemon, XP for evolving into a third stage, or the relationship a higher level trainer has with lower CP Pokemon, Niantic really need to pull their fingers out and sort this mess out. This whole thing needs fleshing out and tweaking, not to mention fixing the fundamentals.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I'm farming the spots I already know about. Since Pokevision went down, all I'm doing is leveling the Pokemon I already have, with the odd new capture here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom