• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymgve

Not only is it not tech focused, ingress players shouldn't be anywhere near it since you cannot walk around the grounds unauthorized. Security will stop you or shoot you.

It's 1800 acres of cornfield with two roads in and out of it.

There is literally zero pedestrian traffic in or around that building.

Well, then I don't know why it's a hotspot. What I do know is that so far the Pokespawns are static and they spawn Pokemon at predetermined intervals.

domlolz

Banned
i think im going to give niantic the benefit of the doubt for now, its a game to be played passively and i think people are forgetting that with the ridiculous reactions to the update. hopefully they get their act together...lol

Durden77

I'm also not noticing a lack of Pokestop rewards either. Was full on eggs, one hatched, first Pokestop I hit gave me another one. And got ultra balls and shit too.

Overall I actually really like this update. All the little touches have made it feel more complete. Don't understand the disdain, besides the nearby stuff of course.

Well, then I don't know why it's a hotspot. What I do know is that so far the Pokespawns are static and they spawn Pokemon at predetermined intervals.

I already told you. That spot where the Pokemon spawn is the precise spot where the visitor lot intersects the employee lot. It's an extremely high cell phone traffic zone in a very small area, and it's consistently that way since we're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Turn on the app there and you will find that a half dozen Pokemon have spawned in that spot and only that spot. The rest of the grounds are a dead zone.

Toki767

i think im going to give niantic the benefit of the doubt for now, its a game to be played passively and i think people are forgetting that with the ridiculous reactions to the update. hopefully they get their act together...lol
A passive game wouldn't require you to have the game on the screen to do anything.

zroid

Banned
I managed to get 3 gyms occupied, but it was still 1 hr till I could claim the reward

... of course, 2 of them were kicked out within 30 mins ;_;

Memles

It's interesting to read the anecdotal reports from the update regarding catches, as it makes circumstances that may have just been random seem less so. For example: I spot an Ekans (about 220 CP), and I'm 1 candy away from evolving, and I've got a lucky egg on. So, I take no changes: Razz Berry, and then Ultra Ball. And then it breaks free on one, and runs off. I can't remember anything comparable happening before, but it may just be I fell in the statistical possibility of that strategy failing.. Or maybe that statistical possibility has become greater. We don't really know.

Still, it put me to Level 23, which is nice. We'll see if I break down and buy some egg incubators before I get to Level 25.

GulAtiCa

Went walking today. Had very good run of Pokemon and pokestops. Catch rates and findings just as good as pre patch.

Used an incense and got a few good ones. Including Jigglypuff, Station, Ekans, several eevee's and a bunch of magikarp. Prob got 30ish candies of magikarp.

ymgve

I already told you. That spot where the Pokemon spawn is the precise spot where the visitor lot intersects the employee lot. It's an extremely high cell phone traffic zone in a very small area, and it's consistently that way since we're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Turn on the app there and you will find that a half dozen Pokemon have spawned in that spot and only that spot. The rest of the grounds are a dead zone.

What I'm telling you is that whatever's affecting that area is not anything current. Your whole workplace could relocate one mile away and pokemon would still spawn in the exact spot where the visitor lot used to be even though no one was there anymore. Whatever Niantic used to decide spawn spots is based on old Ingress-era data, just like the pokestops and gyms.

(They were part of Google back then so it's possible that they have used some non-Ingress data based on generic Android usage, but they are not dynamically adjusting any spawns now.)

Waterdrop

I might be in the minority here,

And I expect to get a ton of heat for this, but with the new reports of Pokevision, and all other "cheat" trackers.

Yes, I repeat. Cheat trackers, I can finally go back and play this game the way it's intended.

I am sorry everybody, but the entire purpose of Pokemon is 2 go out, randomly have a pokemon come up on screen, and go crazy because you had NO clue at all a (lets say, snorlax) Appeared out of nowhere.

You rush and try to catch it, and eventually do, and it's a big wave of accomplishment.

I have never used any sort of pokemon tracking app, I would go to say that I think that ANYBODY and everybody who HAS used pokemon tracking apps like Poke-vision should have their entire game re-rolled back to when they started using it.

It destroys the competition, and punishes people who wanna find things legit ally.

Let me go even further,

I am in 100% agreement with nintendo on this one, I don't understand how people can sit here, and justify them going place to place, and finding near exact pokemon, it destroys the entire concept of the game.

Gyms are now filled with pokemon that should be extremely rare to find in certain areas, Some I bet found them legit, but most are people who used pokevision, and found them disgracefully.

I expect to be flamed for this, I expect to be hated for this, but I am 100% sure that if people played the game as intended, it would be way more exciting, and fair.

If you catch all 150 using cheats, you did not accomplish anything, you just screwed with the games original purpose, and get zero praise.

/rant

Toki767

And I expect to get a ton of heat for this, but with the new reports of Pokevision, and all other "cheat" trackers.

Yes, I repeat. Cheat trackers, I can finally go back and play this game the way it's intended.

I am sorry everybody, but the entire purpose of Pokemon is 2 go out, randomly have a pokemon come up on screen, and go crazy because you had NO clue at all a (lets say, snorlax) Appeared out of nowhere.

You rush and try to catch it, and eventually do, and it's a big wave of accomplishment.

I have never used any sort of pokemon tracking app, I would go to say that I think that ANYBODY and everybody who HAS used pokemon tracking apps like Poke-vision should have their entire game re-rolled back to when they started using it.

It destroys the competition, and punishes people who wanna find things legit ally.

Let me go even further,

I am in 100% agreement with nintendo on this one, I don't understand how people can sit here, and justify them going place to place, and finding near exact pokemon, it destroys the entire concept of the game.

Gyms are now filled with pokemon that should be extremely rare to find in certain areas, Some I bet found them legit, but most are people who used pokevision, and found them disgracefully.

I expect to be flamed for this, I expect to be hated for this, but I am 100% sure that if people played the game as intended, it would be way more exciting, and fair.

If you catch all 150 using cheats, you did not accomplish anything, you just screwed with the games original purpose, and get zero praise.

/rant
Actually, the proper way to play the game was to use the in game tracker to go from 3 tracks to 2 to 1 to 0 at which point the pokemon you were tracking appeared.

There was a truly magical feeling for the 3 days it worked.

Actually, the proper way to play the game was to use the in game tracker to go from 3 tracks to 2 to 1 to 0 at which point the pokemon you were tracking appeared.

Yeah, worked well before they got super greedy and decided to push it out in 26 other countries when servers were barely holding up from just being available in USA.

Durden77

Indeed. I agree that I had a dislike for the Pokevision stuff, but the in game tracker needs to come back and be fixed. It was really fucking awesome at first.

I had convinced a work friend of mine to download it while it was working, and we had an awesome moment where she booted it up for the first time whike we're in the parking lot and we were looking around to track down an Abra. We found it and caught it after turning around a few times. It was great.

I might have agreed with the sentiment that some Pokemon should be really hard to find if it wasn't for the fact that they are always on a 15 minute timer. if they were on for a much longer time (several hours? a day maybe?) then people could get on social media and tell everyone else where it is and it could be this awesome scavenger hunt.

but they made this game with "tracking" in mind...and the tracking doesn't really do how they intended it to function. it's like they went back on their word on how to play the game.

Asmodai48

Yeah, worked well before they got super greedy and decided to push it out in 26 other countries when servers were barely holding up from just being available in USA.

Or they should have launched it into smaller countries first and left the usa till one of the last right?

Or they should have launched it into smaller countries first and left the usa till one of the last right?

It wouldn't have mattered. Either way they should have had a controlled roll out. They had time to beta test the game. They knew it would be popular. It was using one of Nintendo's most popular franchises. After releasing in the US they knew that servers were struggling to keep up and that it exploded it popularity, yet they STILL forced it out in other countries on a Saturday of all days knowing that they already couldn't meet demand. If the same thing happened and it was released in other countries first, damn straight wait and not release it in the USA until things are stable.

Agreed, which is why Niantic needs to bust their butts getting it back into the game because the base exploration factor of the game is lost without it.

Being able to see pokemon from a km away is bullshit. Not "tracking" specifically pokevision trackers.

Also this. At most the tracker put pokemon with 150m of you. Being able to scan long distances is indeed against the spirit of the game.

Asmodai48

It wouldn't have mattered. Either way they should have had a controlled roll out. They had time to beta test the game. They knew it would be popular. It was using one of Nintendo's most popular franchises. After releasing in the US they knew that servers were struggling to keep up and that it exploded it popularity, yet they STILL forced it out in other countries on a Saturday of all days knowing that they already couldn't meet demand. If the same thing happened and it was released in other countries first, damn straight wait and not release it in the USA until things are stable.

Right im sure the majority of americans on this forum would feel this way >.>

3phemeral

Let me go even further,

/rant
Except Pokemon have spawn timers so pokevision won't a guarantee you'd get it. Pokemon don't just sit there until it's caught. You have to haul ass and hope you have enough items in your inventory to catch a something that will very likely break away multiple times. As my friends can attest, they were still unable to catch Charizard.

And no, the game is not about "randomly coming across Pokemon." Had that been the case, there would be no tracker. A tracker that did work perfectly fine the first week of release. And on top of that, in tandem with other players that would walk with me and see the same list of Pokemon so you could team up and narrow your pathway options.

The game was fun when the in-game tracker worked because you actually felt that going out to hunt actually meant it resulted in a beneficial catch.

It's great you found a away to enjoy the game regardless of its flaws, but let's not pretend like everyone shares that perspective when the features that were operational from the jump now no longer provide an appropriate incentive to continue. Pokevision, et al; provided a solution to Niantic's inability to quickly solve one of the main draws to the game.

Like someone said, I'm not walking out in 100 degree weather only to be presented with an entirely inaccurate nearby list.

robochimp

Let me go even further,

/rant

They turned off the in game tracker. I was actually able to find Pokemon in my neighborhood while it was still on.

I can not find anything in my neighborhood with out being able to narrow it down. I'm lucky if I bump into a pidgy some days so if an unknown Pokemon shows up I had no other way of finding it, than to use a tracker

If I go to the zoo, they're everywhere and there is no reason to use a tracker.

Gyms are more than likely filled with Pokemon hatched from 10k eggs.

I don't think anyone cares about a stranger on the internet enough to "hate" them.

Let me go even further,

/rant

Did you even play the game when it first came out?

GulAtiCa

New patch is fine for number of Pokemon I've seen today. Eevee's, magikarp, psyduck, slowpoke, squirtle, Pikachu, Abra, Jigglypuff.

Some of you are just witnessing a placebo effect.

zroid

Banned
I think I'm lucky that my house is close to a lot of spawn points so usually when I load up the game at any time a bunch of Pokémon Drowzees will appear. I can catch enough without having to roam around although it's frustrating when I see something I want on the Nearby list and it wasn't close enough to appear while at home.

I know there's pretty much no chance I'll track it down without one of the radar sites.

Right im sure the majority of americans on this forum would feel this way >.>

It sounds like you are letting your own prejudices get in the way by assuming all Americans, or more specifically people in the United States, are greedy and don't give a damn about the rest of the world. The game should have had a more staggered rollout, especially after they knew it's popularity skyrocketed after release in the first countries it released in.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought you were leaving the thread for good?
Every person that I can convince to get a a refund is a positive thing for humanity. I want to help humanity, don't you? It's just a pity that the refund money goes from Apples pocket and not from Niantic.

EL CUCO

Was sitting under a lure for 3hrs today while at the mall for a Bday Party, right in between 2 Pokestops. Everything was trash. Even found my first Snorlax...it had a whopping cp136. Didn't even know they could spawn that low. The only bright side was all the XP from catching all that trash.

The moment I get home, there's a cp969 Nidoqueen chilling in my living room with 85%. It kinda made up for the previous 3hrs of disapointment.

ymgve

Was sitting under a lure for 3hrs today while at the mall for a Bday Party, right in between 2 Pokestops. Everything was trash. Even found my first Snorlax...it had a whopping cp136. Didn't even know they could spawn that low. The only bright side was all the XP from catching all that trash.

The moment I get home, there's a cp969 Nidoqueen chilling in my living room with 85%. It kinda made up for the previous 3hrs of disapointment.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I would trade a ton of Eevees for any Snorlax. I wouldn't complain about getting bad CP on your rares, at least you got rares.

Red Fire

The update made catching pokemon a piece of cake. Just spin the ball and wait for the circle to be very small and it's 95% caught regardless of circle color. I like it :D i was just complaining the other day that i couldn't catch shit because they kept getting out of the ball and than this happens. Nice!

But it sucks that you dont get xp from nice/great/excellent catches any more.

Fix that and the tracker and the game is perfect.

Also agree that im glad that pokevision etc got fixed. I always considered it cheating. Tracking is not the same as knowing the exact location of a pokemon. If the tracker doesn't work oh well then you should keep walking and hope to catch nice stuff. I did this and i caught over 50 new pokemon in the time the tracker didn't work. I am level 22 and have over 80 pokemon in the pokedex.

Acinixys

Sitting at my PC messing around
Running scans on my phone
Suddenly BLASTOISE 4 blocks away

Jump in my car in nothing but a shirt and slippers

Sn68voq.jpg

Fucking worth it

3phemeral

This can't be real right?
https://pokemonpromo.com

The website is surprisingly well put together lol

Whois data says:

Domain Name: POKEMONPROMO.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: ALEX.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: DAISY.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 26-jul-2016
Creation Date: 16-jul-2016
Expiration Date: 16-jul-2017​

Teknoman

I still say the catch difficulty raise is just placebo and pure circumstance. I havent had any more problems than normally catching stuff today.

Razmos

Whois data says:

Domain Name: POKEMONPROMO.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: ALEX.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Name Server: DAISY.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Updated Date: 26-jul-2016
Creation Date: 16-jul-2016
Expiration Date: 16-jul-2017​

Compare the registration information of that site with the official Pokémon GO one. Completely different.
Got it, thanks. My friend posted it on Facebook and I just wanted to make sure, I'll warn him lol

To the user who developed pokemonnearby.io:
You were a real champ. Thanks to you, I found a Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee in the exact location they showed up on the map. Sucks that all that work you did is now useless. :/

Wazzy

Banned
The updates are absolute bullshit especially with the tracking sites down. Catch rate is definitely worse and Pokemon are running more often now. Pokevision made this more fun and playable because you could actually go find the Pokemon you're looking for and not spend hours for something still on your nearby list but had actually despawned a while ago.

People complaining about sites like vision really don't understand the purpose of this game. When it was first released and the tracker worked that was what made the game so insanely fun. Exploring and watching as the tracked Pokemon got closer and closer but with the tracker completely broken you can barely even tell what Pokemon is close to you and good luck finding it when they have a spawn timer.

If they at least fixed in the spawn timers that would be great because then people could know when to give up but now you're just left with a delayed and broken tracker. My whole Pokemon Go group for my street(we all met playing this game) is pretty much done playing until some form of tracking works and that's about 10+ people.

I'm not quitting the game because I'll still hatch my eggs and I've played too long to just up and quit but the outrage over the update is completely justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom