• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

To keep the players, they need to shuffle up what pokemon appear in an area to keep the fun of wondering what they will find next.

My area only has weedle, pidgy, rattata, and venonat with the occasional other common pokemon.

I can go several days and only see the 4 I named...

Heck, zubats and ghastly are rare for me.

They just did that yesterday. The zubats, pidgey X, rattattas are super common everywhere but if you had a dratini nest at your local park it is now evee. Another park that had charmanders is now squirtle. The park right by me was a jynx nest, now it is a scyther nest.

They shifted things to the basic pokemon in the pokedex that appears right before it.

deanote666

If there are any nests in my area, they only spawned the common junk before and still only spawn the common junk now...

Level 19

Slizz

Beat 3 gyms in a total of 4 fights(beat one twice) each time I won I was never able to add my Pokemon. Didn't get poached though as the gym never went neutral.

Flashed congrats you won to me in game. Goto the gym. The same exact Pokemon(all from diff trainers) full hp and still in charge of the gym. What gives?

dity

Beat 3 gyms in a total of 4 fights(beat one twice) each time I won I was never able to add my Pokemon. Didn't get poached though as the gym never went neutral.

Flashed congrats you won to me in game. Goto the gym. The same exact Pokemon(all from diff trainers) full hp and still in charge of the gym. What gives?
You need to get a gym's prestige to 0 through battling it over and over before you can claim it. Beating all the Pokemon in a gym doesn't get you the gym. Heck, you can whittle down prestige by beating the first Pokemon in a gym over and over. It's slower, but it works if it's the only Pokemon you can beat at said gym. Then you'll have more Pokemon to fight the the next Pokemon (as losing a prestige level removes the lowest CP Pokemon), increasing your chances of winning against the next strongest and so on and so forth.

Slizz

You need to get a gym's prestige to 0 through battling it over and over before you can claim it. Beating all the Pokemon in a gym doesn't get you the gym. Heck, you can whittle down prestige by beating the first Pokemon in a gym over and over. It's slower, but it works if it's the only Pokemon you can beat at said gym. Then you'll have more Pokemon to fight the the next Pokemon (as losing a prestige level removes the lowest CP Pokemon), increasing your chances of winning against the next strongest and so on and so forth.
Incredible. Thanks. I cant believe I haven't come across this issue sooner and all the gyms I've beaten before were 0 prestige.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Update makes the game run smoother but not without the most annoying of issues:

GPS cuts out randomly

Pokeball throwing distances altered - Having to relearn how to catch Pidgey sucks.

Some Pokemon attack as often as every two seconds - I had a Geodude that was so difficult to catch, I had to time the throws as soon as he attacked or it would already be too late.

Curveball mechanics totally altered - So much effort takes the fun out of doing a curveball.

Breaking out of pokeballs - If a Pokemon breaks out, it will break out twice as often as before. I've wasted 6+ tries on Ekans and other commons only to give up because I've walked so far that I'm going to be missing stuff.

Spent a few hours at the pier today, catching as much stuff as I can like normal, and I went through at least 200 Pokeballs due to the changes. Way more than ever.

It takes way more concentration to actually hit with a pokeball now, which might be cool if they didn't break out way more often. I used to enjoy casually flicking the screen with one hand and generally getting it in 1-3 tries. The grind wasn't annoying me. After today, I have to plop in one place and work hard. Kinda makes the grind a bit more tedious, with the difficulty going up in so many ways.

mugwhump

So what's a good power-saving android app?

Is anyone else actually happy with the game that Niantic designed and never used 3rd party trackers or the footsteps and is happy the playing field is once again level? I might truly be the only one.

Kinda. I'm more looking forward to the first banwave for botters and gps spoofers though.

On that note, I really wish different team gyms would feature different battle music.

Oh man that would be sweet

Pokemon spam attacks way too much now. It's a 250cp pokemon, shouldn't be this hard.

There was a level 50 Spearow that I could not even catch because it would just loop on its attack animation

Whatever they did to this game, it's going to slowly kill it. I know I'm not going to play as much if it feels like I'm being cheated out of Pokeballs due to harsh RNG

Without power saver my game keeps changing up my characters appearance and all kind of wonky shit while in my pocket. Cant wait untill it buys pokecoins on accident somehow

what a joke. (yes i know it will need my password/fingerprint, but still)

EL CUCO

Thanks for the blue balls, Niantic 😵
MLyjSVH.jpg

Dinokill

They need to give more pokeballs at each pokestop. 1 or 3 are not cutting it for me when now I have to waste more pokeballs to catch some piece of shit Rattata.

akileese

So /r/pokemongo is trying to get Google to go after Niantic for being in violation of the play store TOS. When you send in a support email, it goes straight to an unmonitored box and even tells you so, which frankly, makes this whole thing even more hilarious. Hell hath no fury I suppose.

Went to a college campus and zero Pokemon were spawning aside from a lure. It's a Sunday but still. I remember checking with Pokevision the other day and didn't see anything.

The campus has over 20 Pokestops.

DrkSage

CP caps for Pokemon are all the same based on the trainer lvl right?

Example:
Let's I'm @ trainer lvl 15, An eevee i caught at trainer lvl 5 will reach the same cap for an eevee I caught while being trainer lvl 11, with the only difference being that the lowest eevee is going to suck huge amounts of dust

It's a doubt I've had in my head since I started playing but never bother to ask until now

GulAtiCa

They need to give more pokeballs at each pokestop. 1 or 3 are not cutting it for me when now I have to waste more pokeballs to catch some piece of shit Rattata.

The Amount Pokestops gives seems to be random based upon time or something. I've seen some give upto 8 items and as little as 2. So I've gotten like 5+ pokeballs at a time per stop before.

Community drama aside, it's been a damn good day of hunting. All of these were my first captures :D

Ponyta: Took a break between sets at the gym, opened up the app to pass the time away and was completely surprised to see this spawn, was not on the scanner at all.
Pinsir: First spawn showed up at a pokestop and then despawned in seconds. Almost lost the will to live. Determined to drive back around and found it again. Victory.
Machop: Popped when I was walking in the mall from a 5km egg. I was overjoyed.
Arbok: Went in search of something shadowed, don't know what, and this popped up. I was ecstatic.

Bonus: Got a cp656 Raticate out of the blue. Strongest pokeman yet.

The gym right around the corner from my house has been gray for like an hour, even after closing and reopening the app. I'm tempted to go but fear it's some trap to mug people or something, awfully suspicious

The gym right around the corner from my house has been gray for like an hour, even after closing and reopening the app. I'm tempted to go but fear it's some trap to mug people or something, awfully suspicious

sounds like a trap to me.. maybe go by car if possible and just pull up with the doors locked

Teknoman

I've had that happen before. Sometimes either people forget to drop a defender, or they just have game issues.

Dominator

Man, why is it so much harder to catch Pokemon? The camera angle has shifted per Pokemon, they attack and swat away way more frequently, and I feel like low CP guys pop out at such a larger rate.

Is it just me?

Man, why is it so much harder to catch Pokemon? The camera angle has shifted per Pokemon, they attack and swat away way more frequently, and I feel like low CP guys pop out at such a larger rate.

Is it just me?

Thousands of people online are noticing exactly the same thing. There are a couple here that will say nothing changed though. I'm of the opinion that they made it harder to catch them so people would feel the need to buy more pokeballs.

akileese

Thousands of people online are noticing exactly the same thing. There are a couple here that will say nothing changed though. I'm of the opinion that they made it harder to catch them so people would feel the need to buy more pokeballs.

I personally have not seen a change. They're flopping around and attacking more, but I just pick and choose my spots. I'm not seeing an actual lower catch rate. Just a higher attack rate, which can you can adjust to.

Teknoman

I have noticed the circle radius looks different for different Pokemon now, but if you're talking about the camera getting further away the more you miss, thats always been there. I have had one Pinsir that seemed to attack a bunch in a row, but thats happened to me before...

As for the running away faster / harder to catch low levels, I havent had that issue.

ramyeon

Is it just me?
The camera angle change is the most noticeable, but yeah I've noticed all of the above to varying degrees.
I have noticed the circle radius looks different for different Pokemon now, but if you're talking about the camera getting further away the more you miss, thats always been there. I have had one Pinsir that seemed to attack a bunch in a row, but thats happened to me before...

As for the running away faster / harder to catch low levels, I havent had that issue.
No the camera ANGLE is literally different. The Pokemon are often higher up on the screen (Without AR) and at an angle where it's hard to judge the exact distance.

rpmurphy

Team Mystic won at the gym battle competition yesterday at a local shopping center, and I got like $20 worth of free stuff for participating and being on the winning team. :3

I haven't really noticed much difference in capture rates... my Pidgey and Rattata caps have been about par before and after the update.

I'm kind of glad that things are gonna slow down a bit with this past update though. People near maxing their dex and CP of rares within 2-3 weeks is probably not what Niantic had in mind. This kind of thing needs to fuck off:

pbB5XqB.png

I personally have not seen a change. They're flopping around and attacking more, but I just pick and choose my spots. I'm not seeing an actual lower catch rate. Just a higher attack rate, which can you can adjust to.

I'm getting more low level pokemon escaping balls. Everyone I've talked to in real life seems to notice the same issue that plays also. They also fixed the trick that let you swipe up at the beginning of the fight to get an easy catch on lower level pokemon. They've changed distances of pokemon, have them attack more, and also changed how curveballs work. They are definitely doing things to make you use more pokeballs, even if you take the escaping out of the equation.

CP caps for Pokemon are all the same based on the trainer lvl right?

Example:
Let's I'm @ trainer lvl 15, An eevee i caught at trainer lvl 5 will reach the same cap for an eevee I caught while being trainer lvl 11, with the only difference being that the lowest eevee is going to suck huge amounts of dust

It's a doubt I've had in my head since I started playing but never bother to ask until now

Actually they are not, IV comes into play here.

A 100% IV Pokemon will always be able to hit a higher CP than a lower % IV Pokemon.

For example a full powered (Level 40.5) Evee has a lowest possible CP of 850 (IV 0%) and a highest of 1084 (IV 100%).

You can use a website like pokeassistant.com or pokeadvisor to calculate IV.

Dalek

Went down to Fishermans Wharf today-holy moly. Saw tons of people walking around with cables on their phones attached to batteries in their pocket. Players everywhere! I got so many Magikarps.

Durden77

There's a lot of good about this update. Even the little animations they added to the prestige bar when you win/lose a gym match is much better about giving you feedback on what's actually happening. Presentation-wise, this seems like the game they wanted to release initially now.

Teknoman

The camera angle change is the most noticeable, but yeah I've noticed all of the above to varying degrees.

No the camera ANGLE is literally different. The Pokemon are often higher up on the screen (Without AR) and at an angle where it's hard to judge the exact distance.

Oh thats different then. I havent tried without AR on so I cant really say there.

jts

...hate me...
I don't know if it's just my imagination but I feel like the Pokéball has a cleaner design now.

Toki767

Went down to Fishermans Wharf today-holy moly. Saw tons of people walking around with cables on their phones attached to batteries in their pocket. Players everywhere! I got so many Magikarps.

About to take a run from the Ferry Building to there right now lol. Only 5 more Dratini from a Dragonite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom