• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyf00L

I don't see the difference. It is a game. That doesn't mean they owe anyone an explanation or a feature. Especially since the game was/is free to play.

The difference is money. Google wasn't taking people's money when they changed the API. Yes, GO is free to play, but they have accepted people's money. When Sony took away the Custom OS feature, they got sued and lost.

johnsmith

remember me
Niantic really dropped the ball with this one, it'll be interesting to see the affect it has in the long run as far as sustainability of Pokemon Go goes. Reddit are going crazy and the backlash is pretty apparent there, but that's such a small portion of total users that it's hard to tell.

My state's pokemon go page is the same way. Nobody's happy right now.

Geneijin

To all those saying Pokemon are escaping more often now, it might be best to state your trainer level to put it to perspective.

Frankly, I've noticed Pokemon escaping more, and I was level 22 before and after the update.

To all those saying Pokemon are escaping more often now, it might be best to state your trainer level to put it to perspective.

Frankly, I've noticed Pokemon escaping more, and I was level 22 before and after the update.

I'm level 23, I think the lowest levels will have almost constant green circles. mine are mostly yellow to red to start off.

Level 20 and more escaping than before. Pokemon should get easier to catch as you level up your trainer. Not the other way around :/

Pokemon attack more than before the update. Pidgeys escape more often, but it's not a big deal.

What irks me is the loss of extra points for hitting the circle.

Arrrammis

lvl. 22, I have noticed no difference at all. A few green circled pokemon were extremely hard to catch both before and after the patch, and some red circled pokemon were captured with the first ball that I threw before and after. It's all random in my experience, but it's nearly impossible to know for sure because of hindsight bias.

Level 21, and so far I haven't really noticed any significant difference in catch rates. I've maybe seen more low-CP or yellow-greenish pokemon running away after very few throws, and I did toss way too many ultra balls at a CP??? Vaporeon that not only ran away, but turned out to only be a bit higher than my highest Vaporeon (according to the Journal, which reveals the CP of all ??? pokemon). But I feel like the vast majority of my encounters have gone about the same as usual at this level.

exYle

Yeah, that tracker uses Python programming to generate a map. You'll need some understanding of python and/or some time and patience to get it running, as well as having Python 2.7 downloaded. There's a reddit comment that gives a bit more of a step-by-step guide to setting it up: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongod...go_map_visualization_google_maps_view/d5feu2f
It's a better tracker than any online or app-based stuff that I've seen so far, but it might not be worth the time you need to get it working.

Yeah, that intimidates me greatly. Thanks, but no thanks.

Yeah, that tracker uses Python programming to generate a map. You'll need some understanding of python and/or some time and patience to get it running, as well as having Python 2.7 downloaded. There's a reddit comment that gives a bit more of a step-by-step guide to setting it up: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongod...go_map_visualization_google_maps_view/d5feu2f
It's a better tracker than any online or app-based stuff that I've seen so far, but it might not be worth the time you need to get it working.

It looks like a fun project. =O

Geneijin

Level 20 and more escaping than before. Pokemon should get easier to catch as you level up your trainer. Not the other way around :/
Like it's been known for weeks now that once you're level 20 more or less, Pokemon get harder to capture because the number of Pokemon increases in terms of CP as the easy catches are relatively the same as when you were like 5.

Maybe it's just a recent string of bad luck right now, but I never found myself emptying out my item bag as quickly before the update.

lvl. 22, I have noticed no difference at all. A few green circled pokemon were extremely hard to catch both before and after the patch, and some red circled pokemon were captured with the first ball that I threw before and after. It's all random in my experience, but it's nearly impossible to know for sure because of hindsight bias.
That's why I'm curious about trainer levels and if there's any correlation, but we won't know for absolute certainty until the game is data mined again.

I just hope they use all this money they're making to really add a ton to this game. If they want another spark in buzz, they can advertise some kind of huge update sometime down the line and I'm sure it would gain the interest of a lot of lapsed players.

dity

It also used to mute the game, though. Now my pocket is playing Pokemon music.
Did it? It didn't for me at all. I always had to throw the mute switch during power saver mode.

18 and no real change for me. Only had trouble with Zubat, but they were always bastards.

Joni

It's crazy what this game does. In Belgium there's a very small town near Antwerp called Lillo. It's only a few streets in size, but there are a few stops closeby. Over the last days/weeks, a lot of rare pokemon were spotted there, and the town has been overrun by trainers, to the point where most of the inhabitants have started complaining, and are asking people to leave at around 23h. Since it's summer vacation, there's constantly trainers running around. Bar owners are happy, others not.

I've seen lists of Pokémon found there and it's nuts what people come home with.

I went there yesterday, I caught 79 Pokémon and had to go home because I just ran out of Pokéballs. It was crazy in term of number of people.

JavyOO7

Very very fun day as I headed to Hollywood, FL and then to Coral Gables to play this as I am doing errands. Got a meowth, Pikachu, and most surprisingly, as I was reading this thread in bed was a freaking Ivysaur. I even hit it with a curve ball so I got 610 XP.

Saya

What is happening with the catch rate? Suddenly Pokemon of around 200cp and lower take so many more balls to catch. Constantly running out of balls now.

Pepto

Banned
What is happening with the catch rate? Suddenly Pokemon of around 200cp and lower take so many more balls to catch. Constantly running out of balls now.

People were not spending enough money on extra balls so they made catching harder.

Toki767

I honestly think Niantic saw articles about someone getting to level 40 and another completing the Pokedex and just freaked out with this update. Even though the level 40 person admitted to cheating.

What was their reason for removing the EXP bonus for a Nice, Great, Excellent throw? Other than people were leveling up too fast.

johnsmith

remember me
I honestly think Niantic saw articles about someone getting to level 40 and another completing the Pokedex and just freaked out with this update. Even though the level 40 person admitted to cheating.

What was their reason for removing the EXP bonus for a Nice, Great, Excellent throw? Other than people were leveling up too fast.

They really did that? I've been playing so little I hadn't noticed. This is truly fucked. Everything combined is seriously one of the worst fuck ups I've ever seen any gaming company make.

Makeda

Niantic really need to fix the gyms.
I've beaten 4 gyms now (several multiple times as well) and each and every time I do it some opportunist comes by from a rival team and adds their Pokemon into the gym before I even get a chance to heal.

Had a Paras break out of about 10 balls before running away, then a Squirtle broke about 10 as well but I managed to catch it. Don't even want to think about what rare Pokemon are going to be like now.

Such a strange decision considering you can't even buy berries and ultra balls.

Nictel

The changes make sense, business wise:

- Removing XP from throws: With the pokemon go you can catch them on the go, but why use the Go if you can get more XP by using the phone app?

- Removing steps: Why use lures/incense if you can just find the Pokemon in your neighborhood?

Money needs to be made and apparently they expect the possible drop of some players to be offset by the increase in in-app purchases

dity

Had a Paras break out of about 10 balls before running away, then a Squirtle broke about 10 as well but I managed to catch it. Don't even want to think about what rare Pokemon are going to be like now.

What CP were they?

Also, I think the starters naturally have a low catch rate. Even at a low CP they have always had an orange to red circle.

What CP were they?

Also, I think the starters naturally have a low catch rate. Even at a low CP they have always had an orange to red circle.

They were decently high, but I've never gone through that many balls on a 'basic' pokemon before the update.

dity

They were decently high, but I've never gone through that many balls on a 'basic' pokemon before the update.
Well, if you consider a Squirtle evolves twice, it doesn't seem all that odd. I high CP Squirtle will be a very powerful Blastoise.

It could still all just be coincidence though. The experience isn't shared by everyone.

ViciousDS

Banned
dear fuck

Electabuzz AND Scyther both appear in nearby

guess what.....neither of them existed....I know. I fucking checked scanners and even spoofed around just to see. Fuck this game

Maz

dear fuck

Electabuzz AND Scyther both appear in nearby

guess what.....neither of them existed....I know. I fucking checked scanners and even spoofed around just to see. Fuck this game

I feel your pain, they need to fix the tracking asap. I mean they least they can do is make sure the pokemon in nearby are actually nearby. Ive had to reset the app multiple times just to clear the pokemon stuck in nearby. I got a dratini and pikachu today and they were not even showing on nearby, I even wait like 2mins to see if the nearby would be updated for pikachu.

Edit: Ive hatched 180 eggs so far, they have been the only reason my pokedex is over 100. Is it actually confirmed that region exclusive pokemon hatch from eggs? My goal is complete the pokedex.

Jintor

Holy shit akihabara is just a sea of pokestops

Fuck just missed out on a meowth. Fucker ran after two balls... should've used a great ball

Azole

Neo Member

It's really random for me... I caught an almost 900 growlith after using 4 berries with 5 pokeballs, 4 great ball then 4 ultra ball.... Within ten minutes another almost 900 growlith popped and was caught with the first pokeball...

First, answering my own question here from way back: buying coins in-app is possible on the Android version if it was side-loaded and the Play Store had the app blocked for incompatible hardware.

Next,
A few things seem obvious to me post-patch:
-GPS is less accurate, more prone to having the character run around even if you're standing still or not getting the right fix on your location (very obvious when fighting in gyms with other people), on the flip side eggs were hatching really quickly today due to this

I had problems with GPS after the latest update, but the app kept losing the GPS signal. Minimizing the app to background of phone and reloading it to the front temporarily fixes this, forcing it to find and detect GPS. But, even with GPS phone settings set to high accuracy, the avatar on the map would randomly stay still for a long time. I've never had this problem with previous versions of the game. I hope it was a one-day thing and not something that will happen all the time for me.

I've mostly used the game as motivation to walk more and hatch all these eggs that the stops keep giving me. If GPS problems keep popping up, I'll have to shelve the game until the next update. :/

Doing a day trip to Melbourne with my housemate tomorrow so might go Pokemon hunting.
Found this list of hotspots.

Will check out the Machop and Slowpoke nests right next to each other near the CBD, only ever seen two Machop where I live, and the Onix one more to south considering I've never seen one.
Would love to grab a Jynx but those nests are more out of the way (and on golf courses).

Hopefully I can get a good haul. And will make sure I have a charger in my car :p

Level 24 here.

Yep, post lvl 20 and up, catch rates were already fucked. Now they've seemingly gone and doubled the rate of escape and breaking free. I've never had so many <150cp Pidgey's not only manage to break free, but escape after wasting 5-6 pokeballs on them. Same with even weaker Rattatas. Complete and utter bullshit.

Are they afraid of people leveling too fast?

Do they want more people to buy pokeballs (that are too weak to work?)

Chinner

Banned
Well, if you consider a Squirtle evolves twice, it doesn't seem all that odd. I high CP Squirtle will be a very powerful Blastoise.

It could still all just be coincidence though. The experience isn't shared by everyone.
What lv cp would be worth evolving? I got a 339 squirtle but I'm thinking to hold out to 500 +

What lv cp would be worth evolving? I got a 339 squirtle but I'm thinking to hold out to 500 +

Just look at the white CP bar and find one that's like 90%+ full, but know that the max CP raises with player level so don't waste candy evolving rarer stuff until like level 20 (where player levelling slows down).

And don't make the mistake I did in pumping stardust and candy into Pokemon at a lower level. I was so excited when I caught a 650 or so Exeggutor when I was level 8 that I ended up pumping it all the way to 1300 CP by level 15 or so, but now it's sitting there like 70% full on the CP bar and if I hadn't fed it candies I'd probably have enough to evolve a 90%+ Exeggcute, and have all the stardust on hand too.

Joco

I can't be sure whether Pokemon are really harder to catch or if it's just bias after reading many others say so online. At level 21 stuff is getting harder to catch in general, but that was the case before this update anyway.

I will say Pokemon do their attacks (or whatever you want to call what makes then invulnerable to Pokeballs for a couple seconds) much more frequently.

Although as others have said, it's stupid that they get harder to catch as you level up. That shouldn't be the case at all, it should become easier.

Apparently I need to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep more often.

Popped an incense around 4 a.m. last night and I got my first Ponyta and Geodude. Just popped another one now around 2 a.m. and got my first Vulpix.

Just got the one Charmander "nest" that I know off not too far from home. Luckily I have to head that way for work sometimes too. Don't catch a lot each time but it is slowly building, I'll have my Charizard within the week I reckon. Pretty pumped.

ghostmind

Apparently I need to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep more often.

Popped an incense around 4 a.m. last night and I got my first Ponyta and Geodude. Just popped another one now around 2 a.m. and got my first Vulpix.

I dropped an incense about 15 minutes ago, and so far 2 CP10 Pidgey's and a Weedle. :/

EDIT: make that 2 Pidgey's, 2 Weedles and a Rattata. I'm living the song from this morning...

https://youtu.be/3Gr39Xhwwxc

Found a wild 1,600+ CP Snorlax. Ran away after two balls. Feels bad man.

... though not as bad as wasting 20-30 balls on an 800 CP Ivysaur before it ran away. -_-

Did find out my Chansey is 100% perfect though, and I caught a 100% perfect Mankey, so I guess that's cool, lol.

jariw

After the update, I feel the ball/ultra ball/razz berry balance is much better. At level 19, a green-ring Pokemon can still often be caught with a normal ball, a yellow-ring Pokemon requires a razz berry or an ultra ball, a red-ring almost requires ultra ball and a razz berry.

mishakoz

Same problem today. Pokestops work fine, no Pokemon spawns or nearby. Wandering around Venice today, this is frustrating.

Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom