• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dity

I had the game running on my 30-min drive in to work this morning and it never dimmed. Or if it did, it only dimmed the brightness a bit but it did not deactivate the screen, meaning if I put the phone in my pocket it would start randomly pressing buttons.
Yeah it does not got to the logo anymore. So buttons can still be butt pressed. I just noticed that when I had it in my pocket dor ages the screen was darker until I tapped it. I used to switch power saver off due to the bug and the screen was always super bright, even if in my pocket for ages.

Septic360

Banned
Btw, the game counts distances travelled by car as far as egg hatching is concerned. Even at 30-40mph, it all counts towards distance travelled. Had a fair few eggs hatching as a result so I leave the game on as I drive.

Finally evolved out the stuff I had candy for (Not pidgey style / leveling, this was to get my Nidoking and the like) and most of them got REALLY poor moves haha. I mean the DPS difference is not massive, but my Nidoking literally has the worst quick move in the game. Nidoqueen too, as well as Victreebell.

Good times.

Jellie

Just hatched a squirtle. Was waiting ages to get one from an egg to evolve.
NUOmyjp.png

Mindwipe

Btw, the game counts distances travelled by car as far as egg hatching is concerned. Even at 30-40mph, it all counts towards distance travelled. Had a fair few eggs hatching as a result so I leave the game on as I drive.

No, it doesn't. Nothing above 4mph counts (ish, we think).

Does anyone else think they've also shrank the hitboxes? I'm having pokeballs graze the head of pidgeys that are passing straight through collisions, and before the update they would have easily made contact. Makes catching while walking harder.

Edit: Some people saying 10/11, but put it this way I can run fast enough for tracking to stop pretty reliably, and I can't run for shit.

GulAtiCa

No, it doesn't. Nothing above 4mph counts (ish, we think).

I think it's 11mph is the old limit, might be higher now. If it was 4mph, no eggs would ever hatch from jogging/running lol.

And, driving in a car will contribute to eggs. Usually slowly. Like used to add like 0.5 KM to an egg for me when going from home to work. Though today it added like 3km for some reason.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Not really true. I drive about 3-4 miles to work but don't go on highways (max speed is 45). I get about .3-.5 km every morning from my commute.

EDIT: Haven't tried it since Friday.

gutshot

Yeah it does not got to the logo anymore. So buttons can still be butt pressed. I just noticed that when I had it in my pocket dor ages the screen was darker until I tapped it. I used to switch power saver off due to the bug and the screen was always super bright, even if in my pocket for ages.

I honestly did not care at all about the (very limited) battery saving aspects of the battery saving mode. I can plug my phone in at any time at work, so never had issues with the battery. I used it strictly as a way to have the app running and counting my distance traveled without having to actually hold the phone in my hand. For that, it worked perfectly. And I only had the screen lock bug happen to me a handful of times while using battery saver and considering all of the other bugs that required you to have to restart the app, I didn't really mind it.

I just don't understand why they removed the feature. Yeah, it was buggy for some people, but not for everyone all the time. The people that had a lot of problems with it weren't using it anyway, so why kill it for the people who were using it?

dity

So much for "don't play while driving" lol.

I honestly did not care at all about the (very limited) battery saving aspects of the battery saving mode. I can plug my phone in at any time at work, so never had issues with the battery. I used it strictly as a way to have the app running and counting my distance traveled without having to actually hold the phone in my hand. For that, it worked perfectly. And I only had the screen lock bug happen to me a handful of times while using battery saver and considering all of the other bugs that required you to have to restart the app, I didn't really mind it.

I just don't understand why they removed the feature. Yeah, it was buggy for some people, but not for everyone all the time. The people that had a lot of problems with it weren't using it anyway, so why kill it for the people who were using it?

I got no idea why they removed it other than due to the freezing bug. My solution is to put it in my pocket with the screen facing away from my leg. Minimises accidental screen presses
Honesty I wish it could just track distance without the app open and send you notifications when Pokemon are nearby or if an egg is ready to hatch.

Septic360

Banned
Not really true. I drive about 3-4 miles to work but don't go on highways (max speed is 45). I get about .3-.5 km every morning from my commute.

EDIT: Haven't tried it since Friday.

I barely walk with this app on and drive and all my 5k and 10k eggs have hatched pretty easily. Mind you, saying that, I think my GPS is bugged because even in the office, my little avatar doesn't stop walking for some reason a lot of the time. Whilst on the road, the guy doesn't sprint continuously but stops then walks a bit etc

So much for "don't play while driving" lol.

Well I'm not really playing it. Its just on as I drive to help eggs hatch and it works.

Definitely feels like they're escaping more frequently now.

I've had a few low-level Pokemon flee after their first escape today which has never happened to me before.

Vuze

Did anyone catch a Ditto, Articuno, Zapdos or Moltres yet?
I mean, they are listed in the Pokedex so they gotta be out there somewhere. I guess Mew and Mewtwo will be special pokemon for some collaboration or maybe Sun/Moon launch event.

Chaos17

https://pokemonnearby.io/ ... one and done scan (offline)
or https://pokemonnearby.io/nearby.html ... "Nearby" version that updates footprints as you walk (click on feet to get map if necessary).

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

please don't disseminate outside gaf or too many people start to use at one time and it becomes difficult for everyone.

New page, gonna repport it until Niantic fix it tracker.
Quote to see password in email tag.

Vuze

Man this patch bums me out. I kinda don't wanna play anymore. Killing off 3rd party pokemon radar apps makes this game hard to justify playing now. If I can't seek out pokemon I don't have then there's really very little point to playing outside of leveling my dude and collecting coins from gyms. The main draw is gone until they patch in a solution to finding pokemon.
https://github.com/AHAAAAAAA/PokemonGo-Map/tree/develop works fine for me. I use it to scan for gyms in my area.

Also it's incredible to see how far this project has come since it first turned up only days ago. The dev community around the game is more fascinating to me than the actual game craze.

murgo

What the fuck happened with this update? It looks like they made the normal pokeball absolutely useless. Just tried to catch a Drowzee and Horsea at home and both managed to flee after one ball.

Also, why did they remove power saving on the iPhone? How am I supposed to put the phone in my pants now without it registering false touches all the time?

Not much of a problem for me tbh.

Caught these, they took nowhere near 7 balls to catch. Only a rando Caterpie that spawned later and a Pidgey earlier ran away.

I lol'd at the Rattata down there in the Nearby.
Come back when you're actually level 20+. Level 20 catch/escape rates were already cranked to high heaven, and now they've gone and made it worse. Enjoy your bounty of items while they last.

I like how you constantly deflect dozens of people's experiences since nothing at all of the sort has happened to you. It's almost as if these problems don't exist and we all made them up at the same time for shits and giggles.

Firemind

training a gym to level 4 and beating a pokemon of similar cp only yields 16 exp

what gives

actually there was no detail about prestige gain

Mihos

Gold Member
Come back when you're actually level 20+. Level 20 catch/escape rates were already cranked to high heaven, and now they've gone and made it worse. Enjoy your bounty of items while they last.

I like how you constantly deflect dozens of people's experiences since nothing at all of the sort has happened to you. It's almost as if these problems don't exist and we all made them up at the same time for shits and giggles.

level 20 (invested player) + low ball reward pokestops + run away/ball eaters = big profit for the store.

All that is missing is rare spawns based on when you are low on balls to push you into the store.

Did anyone catch a Ditto, Articuno, Zapdos or Moltres yet?
I mean, they are listed in the Pokedex so they gotta be out there somewhere. I guess Mew and Mewtwo will be special pokemon for some collaboration or maybe Sun/Moon launch event.

Ditto, the Legendary Birds, and Mew and Mewtwo are all completely unobtainable. They've vaguely talked about Legendary events and the birds being related to teams in some way, but that's it. I imagine the reason Ditto is currently unavailable is because they haven't programmed Transform yet.

GeoGonzo

Just got 10 bonus XP for Curveball, even tho it went straight as an arrow. Profit.
Because apparently curved ball doesn't relate to the flight trajectory of the ball, it simply means you hit the pokemon's side. More often than not curveballs hit them on the face, earning no XP bonus. It's silly.

dity

So you tell me why the heck my experience in no way reflects what others are just saying. I caught 23 Pokemon tonight. 23 and only 2 ran away, so I encountered 25 Pokemon. It didn't take me 7 balls to catch each one, I wasn't constantly having Pokemon run away, and I only needed a great ball to catch 3 or 4 of them. Most were first throw catches, or caught within 3 successful throws.

You tell me why my experience doesn't match up at all. You tell me and I will shut up about it. Seriously. Because I'm chopping it all up to coincidence bar the new way needed to throw curve balls. Maybe they attack a little more, but I can't really tell.

Not everyone's experience here with catching Pokemon after the patch is the same. Others here in the thread have said they notice no difference as well. Please explain that. Do that, and I will stop showing and mentioning that the "harder to catch" thing isn't a set in stone thing that all players are experiencing.

Mihos

Gold Member
So you tell me why the heck my experience in no way reflects what others are just saying. I caught 23 Pokemon tonight. 23 and only 2 ran away, so I encountered 25 Pokemon. It didn't take me 7 balls to catch each one, I wasn't constantly having Pokemon run away, and I only needed a great ball to catch 3 or 4 of them. Most were first throw catches, or caught within 3 successful throws.

You tell me why my experience doesn't match up at all. You tell me and I will shut up about it. Seriously. Because I'm chopping it all up to coincidence bar the new way needed to throw curve balls. Maybe they attack a little more, but I can't really tell.

Not everyone's experience here with catching Pokemon after the patch is the same. Others here in the thread have said they notice no difference as well. Please explain that. Do that, and I will stop showing and mentioning that the "harder to catch" thing isn't a set in stone thing that all players are experiencing.

I didn't have any issues at all until I hit level 20. Now almost every spawn is yellow or above.

GeoGonzo

For what its worth, I'm with those who haven't noticed any increase in pokemon popping out of the ball, if anything I've been on a fairly lucky streak of one or two balls per fight for pretty much the whole day (lvl20). But they do seem to go through their fighting animations a lot more often... I wonder if maybe they fixed a bug? Because back when I started playing one of the first tips I read was "Disable AR and the pokemon will weave and jump less, making them easier to catch".

You definitely aren't above lvl 20.

BowieZ

Banned
You know what spoils the game far more than Pokevision or the like?

People driving around trying to hold 10 gyms.

I fucking walk and there's practically no time of day I can hold 10 gyms because at some point there's someone driving around spoiling it.

At least I was able to stare down "TheRealKayOh" today, a notable neighborhood driver cheater I've come across repeatedly.

GulAtiCa

I'm lv 21 and my captures have been fine as well. A few take a few balls and some run away, but most are captured. Update has didn't nothing for the capture rate. if anything, only thing it may have done is updated the hitboxes for pokemon and curveball throwing technique seems slightly different.

I noticed that it all depends on how the pokeball hits the Pokemon. If it gets a Great or so, basically hits the Pokemon head on center (so not the side, top, etc), it has better chance.

AdanVC

I was going to write if somebody is also experiencing Pokemon running away more quickly or escaping easily from the normal ball and it seems some of y'all are indeed experiencing this as well. Just so far two ratattas and a damn pidgey ran away when I was trying to catch them! Like how is that even possible?? : (

Nope, at least not in my experience. Took a short roadtrip yesterday, hit a lot of traffic on the freeway that dropped our speeds to about 30-40mph for a lot of it. Zero progress on eggs.

gutshot

I don't think the patch changed the Pokemon's capture rate at all. It feels about the same for me. People definitely reading too much into it.

... now we're calling driving cheating? It's been 110+ here the majority of the days since the game launched, and mid-90's to over 100 at night. Way too fucking hot to walk miles.

PSFan

Because you might be lying in order to serve your agenda and white knighting? You haven't really proved anything, just making baseless claims that you aren't seeing the issues pretty much everyone else is.

dity

I didn't have any issues at all until I hit level 20. Now almost every spawn is yellow or above.

My partner is level 20 and hasn't noticed any difference either.

Because you might be lying in order to server your agenda and white knighting? You haven't really proved anything, just making baseless claims that you aren't seeing the issues pretty much everyone else is.

I have been taking screenshots of my game tonight. You want me to give weight to my claim? Fine then. Screenshots will be taken.

Like, you really think I'm lying and have some sort of agenda? Good god.

I've also added some of the ones I caught this afternoon as well:

sophora

What does Gamestop have to do with Pokemon GO?

Gamestop is giving out voucher codes for Arceus for ORAS/XY this month.

Been noticing pokemon being more aggressive and knocking away balls frequently and repeating animations sometimes. Kind of annoying in mid throw it does it's animation and blocks it.

gutshot

You know what spoils the game far more than Pokevision or the like?

People driving around trying to hold 10 gyms.

I fucking walk and there's practically no time of day I can hold 10 gyms because at some point there's someone driving around spoiling it.

At least I was able to stare down "TheRealKayOh" today, a notable neighborhood driver cheater I've come across repeatedly.

Driving is definitely not cheating.

Besides if someone is able to quickly get to 10 gyms and hold them all, they aren't driving. They are GPS spoofing.

Is there any difference in your life after playing GO?

I stopped watching League of Legends/Dota 2 professional videos. It has been 10 days so far.

This was my habit for the past 4 years.

I also got out more often, taking my father with me to his 24 HR gyms and me to libraries, parks and shopping malls. I am a hermit crab.

Pop

Is there any difference in your life after playing GO?

I stopped watching League of Legends/Dota 2 professional videos. It has been 10 days so far.

This was my habit for the past 4 years.

I've lost some weight so far. Haven't been sitting inside and playing games as much lately.

PSFan

My partner is level 20 and hasn't noticed any difference either.

I have been taking screenshots of my game tonight. You want me to give weight to my claim? Fine then. Screenshots will be taken.

How would a screenshot prove anything? You could just not take screenshots of Pokemon escaping or running away and just show the ones you do manage to catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom