• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ossom

Is there any difference in your life after playing GO?

I stopped watching League of Legends/Dota 2 professional videos. It has been 10 days so far.

This was my habit for the past 4 years.

Yes, I was gambling everyday on football and I haven't gambled at all since the game came out. I've spent about £30 on the game so far, but was probably in profit when gambling so I am down financially.

The wife know I have an addictive personality and so she knows that it is only a matter of time before the next thing comes along.

For the record, I have noticed a big difference in catch rates. My office is a pokestop and have never ran out of balls, but I did over the weekend. The low level drowzees that are taking 10 balls to catch are a joke given that previously I could catch them at cp600/700 with one normal ball. Before my attitude was to catch everything and now I have limited it a lot because anything that isn't a rare or a pidgey just isn't worth 5 balls - looking at you cp950 jynx.

Toki767

How would a screenshot prove anything? You could just not take screenshots of Pokemon escaping or running away and just show the ones you do manage to catch.

Technically the journal keeps track of what runs away, but he just admitted that he's not over level 20 anyway so obviously he's not having a hard time catching things.

I do think it may be a placebo to some extent as I do recall people complaining about 10 CP caterpies escape well before two days ago. Also every day more and more people are getting over that level 20 threshold and experiencing pokemon being harder to catch so there is that.

Septic360

Banned
Yes, I was gambling everyday on football and I haven't gambled at all since the game came out. I've spent about £30 on the game so far, but was probably in profit when gambling so I am down financially.

The wife know I have an addictive personality and so she knows that it is only a matter of time before the next thing comes along.

For the record, I have noticed a big difference in catch rates. My office is a pokestop and have never ran out of balls, but I did over the weekend. The low level drowzees that are taking 10 balls to catch are a joke given that previously I could catch them at cp600/700 with one normal ball. Before my attitude was to catch everything and now I have limited it a lot because anything that isn't a rare or a pidgey just isn't worth 5 balls - looking at you cp950 jynx.

Its crazy the impact this game has on some.

What level are you in the game btw?

sophora

But not for Pokemon GO... We are in the Pokemon GO thread aren't we?

Yessss....?? I'm just giving you a possible explanation for the poster asking "anyone gone to gamestop." I stopped by a store and grabbed my code.

Is there any difference in your life after playing GO?

I stopped watching League of Legends/Dota 2 professional videos. It has been 10 days so far.

This was my habit for the past 4 years.

Been out and exercising more. My mood has been mostly great and enjoying the parks I discover. Before I used to just stay at home a lot, but now I feel more incentive to go out more often. Been having to cut back a bit because of joints acting up but helps me not feel so broken lol.

dity

How would a screenshot prove anything? You could just not take screenshots of Pokemon escaping or running away and just show the ones you do manage to catch.
Dude, this game isn't bloody worth it for doing something like that. My balls are only in the double digits and started off that way today as well.

Take a look at the previoua page. It's my journal, it even shows the times I was catching Pokemon. Unless I was somehow getting encounters every few seconds in between encounters only some odd minutes apart, then there's no chance for me to have some grand lie cooked up. I don't live in the city with that kind of encounter rate. None of those Pokemon took an exorbitant anount of balls, less than a handful ran away, and I'm not really starving for balls (40 something Pokeballs and 20 or so Great balls).

Fox Mulder

Nope, at least not in my experience. Took a short roadtrip yesterday, hit a lot of traffic on the freeway that dropped our speeds to about 30-40mph for a lot of it. Zero progress on eggs.

The game has never allowed tracking while driving. I imagine people seeing distance gains while doing so have their device to thank for whatever reason. Like gps not calibrated properly.

PSFan

Technically the journal keeps track of what runs away, but he just admitted that he's not over level 20 anyway so obviously he's not having a hard time catching things.

I do think it may be a placebo to some extent as I do recall people complaining about 10 CP caterpies escape well before two days ago. Also every day more and more people are getting over that level 20 threshold and experiencing pokemon being harder to catch so there is that.

I'm only level 17 currently and since the update, I've experienced many breakouts and runs from Pokemon. Way more than before the update. Pokemon are batting them away more often and breaking out more often. And using Great Balls and berries as well.

Toki767

I'm only level 17 currently and since the update, I've experienced many breakouts and runs from Pokemon. Way more than before the update. Pokemon are batting them away more often and breaking out more often. And using Great Balls and berries as well.

Yeah, the pokemon do seem to at least jump and do their animations more than before. That much everyone can agree on.

I just want to know what Niantic's reasoning is for removing the EXP bonuses for Nice/Great/Excellent throws. Because other than them wanting to slow the rate in which people are leveling up, I can't see what the point of that is.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
These catch and run rates are really abysmal now. Not sure how much more of this I can take but I hope Niantic gets their head out of their ass soon.

dity

My journal screenshots show how many Pokemon ran away from me this afternoon and tonight. The other user was correct. Unless you're going to tell me I bloody photoshopped those images now.

Ossom

Its crazy the impact this game has on some.

What level are you in the game btw?

I'm level 23. Not as high as some, but definitely higher than most players I meet. The biggest draw for me is hatching eggs. I've only been buying incubators. Walked over 120km too so it has definitely got me out more than normal.

I see the game as a positive thing due to the exercise and spending time outside, but need to be conscious of not spending too much money or playing when other people are around who aren't interested.

Was hoping to get the final 35 pokemon I need over the next 2 weeks, but the lack of pokevision will make that very difficult for me now. Only luck can help me.

dity

Yeah, the pokemon do seem to at least jump and do their animations more than before. That much everyone can agree on.

I just want to know what Niantic's reasoning is for removing the EXP bonuses for Nice/Great/Excellent throws. Because other than them wanting to slow the rate in which people are leveling up, I can't see what the point of that is.
It might be because they don't 100% understand the types of players (bots) hitting the 30s and max level and think everyone is progressing too fast. Makes me wonder if they'll increase the level cap in the future.

JDB

Banned
I absolutely love that this 100something drowzee I tried to catch broke out of his greatball over half a dozen times!

Toki767

It might be because they don't 100% understand the types of players (bots) hitting the 30s and max level and think everyone is progressing too fast. Makes me wonder if they'll increase the level cap in the future.

That was my initial thought to be honest. This update just seems like people at Niantic freaked out at news of one person hitting level 40. Even if that person admitted that he had to use hacks to get there.

You know what spoils the game far more than Pokevision or the like?

People driving around trying to hold 10 gyms.

I fucking walk and there's practically no time of day I can hold 10 gyms because at some point there's someone driving around spoiling it.

At least I was able to stare down "TheRealKayOh" today, a notable neighborhood driver cheater I've come across repeatedly.

wtf? driver cheater? if I see someone trying to take down a gym and I'm already driving around, I will park right near them and help take it down. I don't want other teams getting free coins -_-

dity

That was my initial thought to be honest. This update just seems like people at Niantic freaked out at news of one person hitting level 40. Even if that person admitted that he had to use hacks to get there.
40 seems like such an arbitrary level cap anyway if they ever release beyond the original 151.

There is a definite spike in escape and flee rate once you hit 20. I've been 23 for a while now and I'm so lucky to live near Manhattan and Central Park. Refreshing Great Balls, Ultra Balls and Razz Berries is a must if you're going to keep your sanity past level 20, especially for big captures.

It might be a placebo effect or not, but I've had 2 Pidgeys and a Caterpie escape and flee from me today after just one ball throw and frankly it's getting tiresome. I could just keep sitting at Lure Farms in Central Park and farm XP, Balls and Berries, but to do what? Level up more and make ridiculously basic Pokemon that much harder to catch? Get more items to get more Pokemon to do what? Hope to Battle or Trade with them? When? Presumably sometime this millenium. I don't know and no one else knows because Niantic is infuriatingly silent!

Had a successful hunt last night on South Padre Island.

OPOkPwB.png

8GFvcod.png

83ndGFN.png

I wish I could find one of them Dratini nests tho. A Dragonite is nothing but a pipe dream right now.

Welp, even my super casual friends are botting.

This right here is also why people are rightfully steamed. Instead of prioritizing fixing the 3 Step Bug (which should be number 1 on Niantic's list, bar none), we get Minor Text Fixes, Attack Balancing, some very minor quality of life fixes and a shutdown of the biggest alternative to tracking (granted, I support the need to shut it down eventually, but not before they got their shit together first). Are they probably working on either fixing the 3 Step or coming up with something new? Probably. Do we know when we'll get it, or its priority in their timeline? Or anything at all? NOPE

Then you have botting and Gym sniping so if you're not a fan of "wandering around aimlessly just hoping to run into stuff" or Lure Sitting, then there's no real reason to play! All the super casual friends of mine have either quit or resorted to cheating as well, so there goes the social aspect of playing too.

I can't connect to the servers at all right now. I'm visiting my girlfriend for a few days and she's at work. I was going to go to the mall and hit all the PokéStops, but maybe I'll just see a movie instead. Hopefully I can connect soon. I'm not sure if it would be based on my location or what.

Septic360

Banned
This right here is also why people are rightfully steamed. Instead of prioritizing fixing the 3 Step Bug (which should be number 1 on Niantic's list, bar none), we get Minor Text Fixes, Attack Balancing, some very minor quality of life fixes and a shutdown of the biggest alternative to tracking (granted, I support the need to shut it down eventually, but not before they got their shit together first). Then you have botting and Gym sniping so if you're not a fan of "wandering around aimlessly just hoping to run into stuff" or Lure Sitting, then there's no real reason to play!

Its their deafening silence that royally pisses me off. You would expect so much disclosure for a game so popular and for them to get their priorities right. How alarming is it that at this stage, one of the first things they appear to have done is harm some community run tools, which really, lent themselves so well to the game?

Then, they remove their broken tracking feature but give us no indication of their future plans, no eta on when/if it will be fixed etc.

Its utterly shoddy management and their reluctance to communicate with is with any appreciable frequency is what really pisses me off.

Niantic really need a kick up the back side. Why put all this work into a game with such great potential and then act like utter dickheads after; not bothering to truly communicate with their sizeable fanbase?

EL CUCO

Took a lunch break to test my Flareon out on some Mystakes. He hits hard, but the low HP isn't doing it any favors. I think Vaporeon is still better. Haven't tried Jolteon yet.

On the bright side, my 85% Nidoqueen is a beast in the gym! Score one for the good guys.

So you tell me why the heck my experience in no way reflects what others are just saying. I caught 23 Pokemon tonight. 23 and only 2 ran away, so I encountered 25 Pokemon. It didn't take me 7 balls to catch each one, I wasn't constantly having Pokemon run away, and I only needed a great ball to catch 3 or 4 of them. Most were first throw catches, or caught within 3 successful throws.

You tell me why my experience doesn't match up at all. You tell me and I will shut up about it. Seriously. Because I'm chopping it all up to coincidence bar the new way needed to throw curve balls. Maybe they attack a little more, but I can't really tell.

Not everyone's experience here with catching Pokemon after the patch is the same. Others here in the thread have said they notice no difference as well. Please explain that. Do that, and I will stop showing and mentioning that the "harder to catch" thing isn't a set in stone thing that all players are experiencing.
You literally just posted a screen of yourself at level 18, where almost no one is experiences the throttling that occurs at level 20 and up. And once again you manage to dance around the my mention of this mostly occurring to players in the post 20 range to begin with. Of course you're not experiencing it, you're level 18. All you're confirming is what everyone already knew; the sub level 20 experience is more generous and forgiving than above. Thanks for confirming it over and over I guess?

So let me give this it's own space so you don't dodge it. Post. Level. 20.

Understand this as well, from 20 to 21 to 22 and so forth, the difficulty scales up. It already scaled up before, and now it scales up worse than before the patch. You have no way of verifying this since you aren't level 20. Yet somehow you're an authority on telling us what we are and aren't experiencing as legitimate stark changes in the break/escape rates in this area of the game. If you took a moment to stop tripping over yourself to defend this bullshit, you might actual have a reasonable thought that those of us actually at level 20 and up aren't just making shit up.

You like your little anecdotal stories with your single friend out in the field as end-all-be-all proof there aren't problems? How's this for anecdotal; amongst my group of 8 friends that play this together, all of us (levels ranging from 18, 19, 20, 23, 24 (me), 25, 26 and 26,) have experienced the severe increase in the escape/break free ratio. All of us have experienced the severe nerfing of items on a per stop basis, and all of us have waited 8+ balls on utter bullshit that wasn't the case before. How's that for definitive anecdotal evidence?

Let me make sure I write this again, because I know you're going to cite your friend being level 20 having zero problems and drowning in Pokemon like yourself. It gets bad at 20. It will get worse at 21, worse at 22, worse at 23 and. So. On. Level 20 is only the beginning of this mess, and if she doesn't notice now, she will eventually.

You know what spoils the game far more than Pokevision or the like?

People driving around trying to hold 10 gyms.

I fucking walk and there's practically no time of day I can hold 10 gyms because at some point there's someone driving around spoiling it.

At least I was able to stare down "TheRealKayOh" today, a notable neighborhood driver cheater I've come across repeatedly.

What the.....are you serious with this? This is one of the strangest complaints I have seen yet.

Its their deafening silence that royally pisses me off. You would expect so much disclosure for a game so popular and for them to get their priorities right. How alarming is it that at this stage, one of the first things they appear to have done is harm some community run tools, which really, lent themselves so well to the game?

PokeVision and sites like it needed to be brought down eventually, I absolutely agree with folks on that.

But here's the thing, and this is what gets me pissed off at people who dismissed the apps purely because they are outside programs/cheating/etc. (which again, I agree to a certain extent).

The actual core, advertised gameplay of Pokemon Go has been broken for weeks. Saying it's fine to wander around aimlessly is tantamount to if Team Slayer and every other playlist in a Halo game was unjoinable, except Grifball. It's fine if you like Grifball, but don't be fucking telling people that "it's fine" and to "shut up and enjoy" just playing Grifball in a fucking Halo game.

This has always been presented as a Pokemon game where you see the Pokemon in the app, and specifically go to catch it. In fact, going back to the original trailer, they showed you the exact distance and direction of where to go! Kind of like PokeVision, eh? Yes, PokeVision may be a step too far in regards to being a "bandaid" to the broken app, showing the spawn timer, etc. But when that's all you and your community has, then you don't just take it away without replacing or reintroducing something else first!

johnsmith

remember me
It seems like they made Pokemon impossible to catch while driving. They break away and run away every time. Sucks if you're a passenger.

Chinatown92

Neo Member
https://pokemonnearby.io/ ... one and done scan (offline)
or https://pokemonnearby.io/nearby.html ... "Nearby" version that updates footprints as you walk (click on feet to get map if necessary).

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

please don't disseminate outside gaf or too many people start to use at one time and it becomes difficult for everyone.
a

Had a nice 10km walk today managed to catch probably 100 Pokemon, to bad only one of them was new (Seaking), and the local Magmar nest now seems full of Drowzees

Muku

Anybody else having trouble logging in?

Yes. Then I accidentally hit that horibbly placed log out button, which is the bane of my existence, and uggghghgghghg. They need to move that damn thing to a corner or something. I want to hit the retry button without having to try to ge the edge of it and not hit that damn thing.

L Thammy

How do I tell if someone's botting a gym? Is that just when a bunch of Pokemon come in every time it's been totally beaten? I'm just wondering if it happened to me last night - my buddy and I had to destroy a gym three times before we could put our Pokemon in.

dity

You literally just posted a screen of yourself at level 18, where almost no one is experiences the throttling that occurs at level 20 and up. And once again you manage to dance around the my mention of this mostly occurring to players in the post 20 range to begin with. Of course you're not experiencing it, you're level 18. All you're confirming is what everyone already knew; the sub level 20 experience is more generous and forgiving than above. Thanks for confirming it over and over I guess?

So let me give this it's own space so you don't dodge it. Post. Level. 20.

Understand this as well, from 20 to 21 to 22 and so forth, the difficulty scales up. It already scaled up before, and now it scales up worse than before the patch. You have no way of verifying this since you aren't level 20. Yet somehow you're an authority on telling us what we are and aren't experiencing as legitimate stark changes in the break/escape rates in this area of the game. If you took a moment to stop tripping over yourself to defend this bullshit, you might actual have a reasonable thought that those of us actually at level 20 and up aren't just making shit up.

You like your little anecdotal stories with your single friend out in the field as end-all-be-all proof there aren't problems? How's this for anecdotal; amongst my group of 8 friends that play this together, all of us (levels ranging from 18, 19, 20, 23, 24 (me), 25, 26 and 26,) have experienced the severe increase in the escape/break free ratio. All of us have experienced the severe nerfing of items on a per stop basis, and all of us have waited 8+ balls on utter bullshit that wasn't the case before. How's that for definitive anecdotal evidence?

Let me make sure I write this again, because I know you're going to cite your friend being level 20 having zero problems and drowning in Pokemon like yourself. It gets bad at 20. It will get worse at 21, worse at 22, worse at 23 and. So. On. Level 20 is only the beginning of this mess, and if she doesn't notice now, she will eventually.

Hey dude, you know what? This level 20 stuff stuff and the fact that people said it was even hard before the update past that level
makes me heavily think this has nothing to do with the update at all. You remember that this is not about level 20, but about the update altering catch rates, wasting Pokeballs, and being forced to buy more right?

Things get harder past level 20? Cool. That's fine. I won't contest that. All I said is that my partner, also level 20, has experienced no change due to the update itself.

As soon as I and others started posting that we haven't noticed a difference, the goal posts were moved to "you haven't hit level 20". Fair enough guys, but this wasn't about level 20. It was about the update. And people below level 20 have said they experienced it being harder to catch Pokemon now in the other thread. That would either be coincidence or just bad luck. They're not level 20.

So look, despite the length of your post you really didn't explain anything. You moved the goalposts, made it all about "woe is the level 20+!" and basically didn't do anything beyond that.

Oh, and I'd posted my level here before that post you made earlier. You didn't bring up level 20 then when you should have already known I wasn't at that level. My journal screenshots didn't include my level.

DesGaizu

Neo Member
https://pokemonnearby.io/ ... one and done scan (offline)
or https://pokemonnearby.io/nearby.html ... "Nearby" version that updates footprints as you walk (click on feet to get map if necessary).

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

please don't disseminate outside gaf or too many people start to use at one time and it becomes difficult for everyone.

Thank you!

Jellie

What does Gamestop have to do with Pokemon GO?

How did you get it to show the IV level on the Pokemon screen, or is that a separate website?

What are you using for this? I know you can calculate IV's via sites, but this knows when you caught it, so it must use information directly from Go itself, no?

I asked the same question... No answer.

Sorry for late reply. It is pokeadvisor

Hey dude, you know what? This level 20 stuff stuff and the fact that people said it was even hard before the update past that level
makes me heavily think this has nothing to do with the update at all.
You remember that this is not about level 20, but about the update altering catch rates, wasting Pokeballs, and being forced to buy more right?

Things get harder past level 20? Cool. That's fine. I won't contest that. All I said is that my partner, also level 20, has experienced no change due to the update itself.

As soon as I and others started posting that we haven't noticed a difference, the goal posts were moved to "you haven't hit level 20". Fair enough guys, but this wasn't about level 20. It was about the update. And people below level 20 have said they experienced it being harder to catch Pokemon now in the other thread. That would either be coincidence or just bad luck. They're not level 20.

I promise it's worse and it happened directly after the update.

Vuze

Ditto, the Legendary Birds, and Mew and Mewtwo are all completely unobtainable. They've vaguely talked about Legendary events and the birds being related to teams in some way, but that's it. I imagine the reason Ditto is currently unavailable is because they haven't programmed Transform yet.
Ah, what a pity. Thanks for the info.
Seeing these birds and Mew/Mewtwo always gives me flashbacks. I think I'll rewatch the movies sometime soon!

Then what of people under level 20 also saying they're having a hard time catching Pokemon if it's just a 20+ thing?

I edited my comment. I just mean that catching is harder than before and they flee much more frequently. Being 20+ just exacerbates the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom