• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden77

It's been reported to be based on speed now. Essentially, if you drive faster than 40 mph supposedly, they'll run away unlike before, so Niantic nerfed driving really :lol

It was like this even before the update too. Dunno why people are just now noticing it.

As tempting as it is in the passenger seat, DO NOT USE INCENSE ON THE HIGHWAY. You'll get a lot of Pokes but catch none.

adamy

Banned
It's been reported to be based on speed now. Essentially, if you drive faster than 40 mph supposedly, they'll run away unlike before, so Niantic nerfed driving really :lol

It's always been like this

Been playing since day 1 and rely on public transportation every day

Since the beginning, if you're moving too fast they instantly break out and flee

Ok, this corner of central park has a statue.
dSNocgE.jpg

That's basically Pokemon Mecca in New York. It has a cluster of Pokestops near each other that have lures on them all evening and on weekends. As result, there are usually about 200+ people just camping there on evenings and weekends. You could walk miles through the city and get a bunch of pidgeys and zubats, then walk to this one spot and in seconds get Abra, Pikachu, Magikarp, etc.

FUCK, I guess that's where I'm going next weekend.

adamy

Banned
Has Niantic explained why they removed the XP bonuses for Nice, Great and Excellent throws? Seems an odd choice.
Dunno, there was a trick to pretty much always get nice/great/excellent throws so I thought it may have been that, but they removed the trick as well with the patch

Geneijin

It's always been like this

Been playing since day 1 and rely on public transportation every day

Since the beginning, if you're moving too fast they instantly break out and flee
Ah, didn't know. Never used one driving (passenger, not the driver).

Only restricted to Incensed Pokemon or stuff you randomly encounter too since we're on the topic.

GulAtiCa

Has Niantic explained why they removed the XP bonuses for Nice, Great and Excellent throws? Seems an odd choice.

??? They are still thee. I got a few Nice & Great todays. Are you 100% sure you are hitting in the circle? I know it can look close, but the 2D look in a 3D game can make it look off.

gutshot

??? They are still thee. I got a few Nice & Great todays. Are you 100% sure you are hitting in the circle? I know it can look close, but the 2D look in a 3D game can make it look off.

You can still get Nice, Great, Excellent to pop up on the screen and I assume it still gives you a better chance of capturing the Pokemon. But you don't get the bonus XP for it any more. It's just a flat 100 XP for capturing Pokemon now.

pompidu

They are their, but the XP attached to them are no more. Only XP for curve ball now.

dity

Are we sure its not just due to distance? Whats the furthest youve ever walked from a wild pokemon? I need to try it but I suspect going too far from the pokemon may be the actual cause. Either way, its true that incensing in your car is a waste.
I've always felt going too far from a Pokemon increases its chances of running.

Well, Niantic just removed most of the Pokestops in my town, likely due to complaints from the locals. Our Facebook group is absolutely outraged. Most are likely quitting the game. We have a cemetery near our house that had well over twenty stops throughout it, which my girlfriend and I would frequent nightly, as well as dozens of others... It has been gutted down to 1 stop, with both of it's gyms removed. Sad stuff. She and I have lost interest.

sh1fty

Well, Niantic just removed most of the Pokestops in my town, likely due to complaints from the locals. Our Facebook group is absolutely outraged. Most are likely quitting the game. We have a cemetery near our house that had well over twenty stops throughout it, which my girlfriend and I would frequent nightly, as well as dozens of others... It has been gutted down to 1 stop, with both of it's gyms removed. Sad stuff. She and I have lost interest.

Some of the Pokestops in cemeteries are random gravestones (at least in my area) and so you can obviously understand why some might be offended and want it removed.

GulAtiCa

Well, Pokestops being removed from Cemeteries makes sense though.... Esp if you said your going nightly lol.

They need to replace those and add more around town then.

panda-zebra

Son wanted to go hunt in the rain, wasn't massively keen myself. Noticeably fewer pokemon out there today - only 6 encountered after walking around 2 miles. Did get an exegg as I put the key in the door back at home, so not entirely wasted :)

Kyuur

Err, yeah, sorry but it doesn't take a genius to see why this happened. Sucks that you now have way less stops, and hopefully they replace them elsewhere soon, but being outraged over their removal is kind of... eh.

Some of the Pokestops in cemeteries are random gravestones (at least in my area) and so you can obviously understand why some might be offended and want it removed.

Yes, I understand the reasoning.. It's just rough because we live in a rural area, and now it feels like everyone is falling apart due to all of the recent changes. They were discussing making donations to the cemetery, as well as holding events in our historic downtown area and such. There was also an accountability system, where the group held others accountable for their actions as far as littering, showing respect for whatever areas we gathered in, etc.

So I thought this too, because I was still getting bonuses and I was still seeing Nice/Great/Excellent (I think I even made a post to that effect earlier in this thread). But today I finally managed to land and stick a Great throw (as in, the pokemon didn't break out) and sure enough there was no bonus. The screen said "Great!" and the score screen afterwards had only one line for "Pokemon Caught." The pop-up after the screen also appeared to say "100XP."

Saya

Just had a 164 CP Caterpie break out of my last two ultra balls and then it ran away. Feels bad.

And now I have no Pokeballs. I will have to farm some tomorrow again.

dity

But Pokestops being on gravestones is pretty insensitive.

BahamutPT

I was under the impression that was done to slow down bot users? Since there's no 100 XP bonus for Excellent now, level progression is slower, even for them.

udivision

So I thought this too, because I was still getting bonuses and I was still seeing Nice/Great/Excellent (I think I even made a post to that effect earlier in this thread). But today I finally managed to land and stick a Great throw (as in, the pokemon didn't break out) and sure enough there was no bonus. The screen said "Great!" and the score screen afterwards had only one line for "Pokemon Caught." The pop-up after the screen also appeared to say "100XP."

Hmm...

I wonder what's motivating these decisions.

I was under the impression that was done to slow down bot users? Since there's no 100 XP bonus for Excellent now, level progression is slower, even for them.

oh.

pringles

3 days in a row now that I'm getting like zero potions from stops.. something has to have changes with the update. Potions to become available in the store maybe?

At least at this rate I'll never run out of balls. 300+ and not even practicing curve throws and having CP100 pidgeys break free 10 times over is making a dent in my supply.

dity

3 days in a row now that I'm getting like zero potions from stops.. something has to have changes with the update. Potions to become available in the store maybe?

At least at this rate I'll never run out of balls. 300+ and not even practicing curve throws and having CP100 pidgeys break free 10 times over is making a dent in my supply.
I did a Pokestop drive by thing where my partner had both our phones and went past as many as we could find and potions and revives maxed out my item box. Had to get rid of them.

That's real weird how you're getting no potions ever though.

Anyone in any local Facebook groups with this game?

I am, and I gotta say I think I prefer the Neogaf and Reddit communities....

My experience with this has been people reposting rumors and other "leaks" about the game, reposts from reddit or people asking the same questions over and over.

PMS341

Is anyone else incredibly dissatisfied with Niantic's response to everything? I'm sure it's been posted already, but just in case, from their Facebook:

Trainers,

As many of you know, we recently made some changes to Pokémon GO.

- We have removed the ‘3-step’ display in order to improve upon the underlying design. The original feature, although enjoyed by many, was also confusing and did not meet our underlying product goals. We will keep you posted as we strive to improve this feature.

- We have limited access by third-party services which were interfering with our ability to maintain quality of service for our users and to bring Pokémon GO to users around the world. The large number of users has made the roll-out of Pokémon GO around the world an... interesting… challenge. And we aren’t done yet! Yes, Brazil, we want to bring the game to you (and many other countries where it is not yet available).

We have read your posts and emails and we hear the frustration from folks in places where we haven’t launched yet, and from those of you who miss these features. We want you to know that we have been working crazy hours to keep the game running as we continue to launch globally. If you haven’t heard us Tweeting much it’s because we’ve been heads down working on the game. But we’ll do our best going forward to keep you posted on what’s going on.

Be safe, be nice to your fellow trainers, and keep on exploring.

The Pokémon GO team

Despite being a small company, their PR manages to sound just as empty and vague as a major publisher. A few specific gripes:

The original feature, although enjoyed by many, was also confusing and did not meet our underlying product goals. It wasn't confusing, though. In fact, it was incredibly simple - a game of hot/cold really, but with footprints - and it worked. The only time tracking worked at all was in the very beginning, and they removed it. Niantic should just explain why they changed the GPS from street level to city level (which caused the three-step glitch in the first place), even if it is just for security. Admitting to mistakes isn't wrong.

We have limited access by third-party services which were interfering with our ability to maintain quality of service for our users and to bring Pokémon GO to users around the world. The only thing those third-party services did for GO is improve the quality of the experience as a whole, especially thanks to the issues pushed forward from Niantic themselves. It made tracking a possibility when Niantic gave none. They never seemed happy with the apps existing, of course, but to lack the understanding as to WHY they exist in the first place is just mindblowing.

Niantic is a business, so it is understandable why they would push updates that aid in monetization (Pokemon being harder to catch, being farther away on the screen, Stops giving fewer items, etc), despite how counter-intuitive it may be to the dedicated players. It just feels a tad disheartening, I suppose.

I kinda wish Pokemon would just fuck off of the map when you run away. Right now I'm sitting here being mocked by a Ratatta that ate five berries and broke out of as many balls.

STOP TAUNTING ME

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I kinda wish Pokemon would just fuck off of the map when you run away. Right now I'm sitting here being mocked by a Ratatta that ate five berries and broke out of as many balls.

STOP TAUNTING ME

telln ya 2 balls per common trash pokemon not worth the hassle of any more then that if they break those just peace out youll save a ton of balls

STOP TAUNTING ME

If you don't need em I usually don't waste balls on them. Even for Pokemon that you need to evolve I usually don't waste more than 3 balls on them.

Finally caught my first wild Snorlax after missing two thanks to the servers. CP is ok (1100) and according to pokeadvisor it's 91.1% perfect so I ain't complaining.

Also hatched a Chansey from a 10k egg. It's been a good day so far :)

Guys, would you use a Chansey to defend a gym? That HP is tempting.

zroid

Banned
I'm really getting anxious for new Pokémon to be added. But feels like Niantic is nowhere near the point yet where they're ready to do that.

wwm0nkey

Had to leave my city's Pokemon Go FB group, the community became aggressive and toxic. Luckily i haven't ran into that outside yet but it still makes me sad

M.J. Doja

Banned
New ones would be nice

I'm at 120 caught and feel like I've hit a wall

Currently missing: Farfetch'd Kangaskhan Mr. Mime Ditto, the legendary birds.

Weezing and Muk, Venusaur, Blastoise, Butterfree, Beedrill are the only attainable ones left for me... Yay? I agree, add more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom