• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nictel

OK, so I spend about 20 balls catching a Goldeen. They just kept clipping through. They made her hitbox super tiny..

Is ... is Niantec trying to kill off their own game?

Why put some much effort into making sure people can't use a scanner? Focus on fixing the fucking "nearby" function. Jesus.

More concerning is how just about every other programmer is able to make the thing they aren't.

zulux21

Why put some much effort into making sure people can't use a scanner? Focus on fixing the fucking "nearby" function. Jesus.

I would imagine that people using scanners and the scanner websites put a decent amount of extra strain on the servers. Switching things so those don't work likely reduce the server load quite a bit.

that being said they should have had a working nearby function before ever going after the scanners.

Nightbird

They should have just disabled the entirety of Nearby while they fix it, rather than just removing the pawprints. It's not even close to actually being usable, so it just ends up taunting you with the silhouette of something cool for 30 minutes, long after you know it has despawned. It's like a big middle finger every time. OH I BET YOU WANT THIS, TOO BAD YOU'LL NEVER FIND IT (assuming it even existed to begin with, MWAHAH)!

This is true.

I was traveling a bit yesterday when a Hitmonlee appeared on my nearby list. I got really excited but had no idea where to go, when a group of teenagers came my way, all playing Pokemon Go. I told them that there's a Hitmonlee somewhere, and if they could tell me if they knew where it could be. They told me that it appeared at the end of the hallway (I was in a train station), but it's gone already.

So I waited for my train near a Pokéstop and watched how that Hitmonlee on my nearby list stayed for 8 more minutes until disappearing. That really pissed me off.

I'm not entirely convinced the API change that killed that maps did so intentionally. From what I can tell when I looked over comments from 3rd party devs earlier, they just changed the structure/type of the map item data. Could have just been done for efficiency or some other reason, and the very action of changing it just happened to break 3rd party apps as a side effect.

Granted, they did ask PokéVision to shut down and a 3rd party dev had his Google account terminated, so they are doing stuff to block people from using these apps/stop them from being made, but neither of those are from the development side.

More concerning is how just about every other programmer is able to make the thing they aren't.

To be fair, it's a little more complex than that. The Nearby function could have been broken as a side effect of an unknown bug in a completely different part of the code. It's not fair to compare a stand-alone nearby app to the entire client Niantic has to deal with.

I can feel the brick wall approaching.

At around 70/125 Squirtle candy, 60/125 Dratini, 50/125 of each Nidoran, Oddish, Bellsprout, 35/50 Ponyta, 30/50 Vulpix and Jigglypuff, 40/50 Diglett, 25/50 Cubone, 350/400 Gyarados, so it's just slowly grinding those ones up that I can find at least a few of them every day if I go out hunting.

But once I'm done there, fuck.
I've only caught 3 Charmander (1 of which was my starter), 3 Clefairy, 3 Machop, 7 Geodude (not too bad, but with 2 evolutions...), 3 Grimer, 4 Drowzee, 4 Rhyhorn, 1 Omanyte and 0 Kabuto.
Just won't be fun going out on the off chance I find one of them.

And still need a Jynx, Snorlax, Chansey and Aerodactyl, plus need to hope I hatch Farfetch'd/Mr Mime/Tauros.

Shinypogs

Caught a dragonair and a kabuto down by the water tonight. It was totally worth the trip and paying for parking to spend a few hours at the ferry terminal but those two were my big highlights. I hope to get back there before they move the cluster of stops away since it's a reliable magikarp and eevee spawn area as well.

I don't even look at nearby anymore since most of the time shit shows up that wasn't on it (not attracted by lures or incense) while the things on it don't show up at all, except drowzee but then again you could safely bet your life on a drowzee showing up here.

T.O.P

Banned
h2p3r82mb7dx.jpg

dead

Hmm, my brother has a mod that let you walk around without actually doing the walking. I told him it kinda defeats the purpose of the game. What is Niantic doing to stamp out on those mods? My friend's roommate also has it so its not exactly a hidden secret.

Seriously what's up with the lack of potions at pokestops? I went to about 30 stops yesterday and got like 3/4 potions

I used to be swimming in them

It's going to eventually stop me going to multiple gym battles because I don't have the resources

What's the plan here? To slow down levelling up and to slow down the amount of Pokemon coins being won to make people buy coins?

Pretty dirty tactics

Chindogg

Seriously what's up with the lack of potions at pokestops? I went to about 30 stops yesterday and got like 3/4 potions

It's going to eventually stop me going to multiple gym battles because I don't have the resources

What's the plan here? To slow down levelling up and to slow down the amount of Pokemon coins being won to make people buy coins?

Pretty dirty tactics

What level are you? I'm still getting a significant amount and I'm lvl 26.

Banzai

I'm at 79 Pokedex entries and without any maps I doubt that number will go up much more.
I mean even when I was looking at maps I saw Pokemon I didn't already have once in a blue moon.
All I want is to have my favorite Pokemon, Charizard. Not a single Charmander since I started on the day the apk was available in my country. With the way fighting works I only have limited interest in taking over gyms. There are barely any Team Instinct people in my town anyway. I guess I'll focus on hatching eggs.

Interest is definitely fading fast. Man those days when the ingame tracker was working were the best.

What level are you? I'm still getting a significant amount and I'm lvl 26.

I'm level 17, been playing since day 1 and have just noticed in the last few days the lack of potions at stops but the amount of balls have increased

I used to have minimal poke balls and tons of potions but now it's reversed

NeoRausch

Huh, that's strange.

Just started the game up and when it tries to connect it cuts off all my mobile data completely. No more connection to anything.

Everything else in the phone works right. Played it yesterday and everything was fine.

Already restarted the phone, still the same thing.

Any ideas?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Are they going to banned me if this continue to occur? I notice that the egg km increase and my character moves while I'm just setting at the office. the app is open but I'm not moving.

dity

Are they going to banned me if this continue to occur? I notice that the egg km increase and my character moves while I'm just setting at the office. the app is open but I'm not moving.

That's just the GPS not locking properly. You'll be fine.

CassSept

Hmm, my brother has a mod that let you walk around without actually doing the walking. I told him it kinda defeats the purpose of the game. What is Niantic doing to stamp out on those mods? My friend's roommate also has it so its not exactly a hidden secret.

They are too busy removing features so they can't combat real cheaters just yet.

mugwhump

Oh damn, hatched my 2nd 10km egg at lv.14... got a 1123CP snorlax! Thank you based arceus

My strongest poke by a longshot. Gym battles suddenly became a lot more doable, haha.

nowarning

my city has a cemetery with over 20 pokestops and 2 gyms
who the hell went in there to do that lol

Haha same here, always absolutely brimming with people! Walked past the other night when it was shut and saw some guys climbing the fence, looking at the map there was some kind of lure party going on.

Par Score

Oh damn, hatched my 2nd 10km egg at lv.14... got a 1123CP snorlax! Thank you based arceus

My strongest poke by a longshot. Gym battles suddenly became a lot more doable, haha.

Jeeze, that's stronger than anything I've got an I'm level 20.

Out of my four 10k eggs I've got two crappy Mr. Mimes, a crappy Hitmonlee and a half decent Dratini.

Just an FYI about Gen II Pokemon. They said at the SDCC panel that Gen II would be out by this December.

I imagine this will be when I stop. Was never a big fan / stopped watching / playing after Gen 1. This has been a glorious nostalgia hit, definitely kept me around.

pringles

Pretty dirty tactics

Both these things are annoying me to no end post-update. Chansey has become useless to me, since every time I use him in gyms I need to hit pokestops for a few hours to heal him up again. And the GPS didn't use to act up like it does now, having the character run around way, way across the map back and forth even if I'm just sitting still.

Out of my four 10k eggs I've got two crappy Mr. Mimes, a crappy Hitmonlee and a half decent Dratini.

Are you evolving anything? I'm at 21 and have 9 stronger than that.

Arcanine, Vaporeon, Poliwrath, Venusaur, Starmie, Jolteon, Magmar, Exeggutor and Golduck.

Like, evolve at Growlithe with a CP bar 80% or more at level 20 and that's a 1500+ Arcanine right there. Similar thing with Eevee and Vaporeon.

mugwhump

Yeah I doubt I'll get anything better for weeks, haha.

I'm personaly not happy that they're continue to release in the countries before fixing the nearby feature first -.-

Why can't they be working on both? Same with shutting down botters. It's probably different people working on a lot of this stuff, though I don't doubt there's some degree of overlap.

PSFan

What region are you in? I thought Mr. Mime and the other "exclusives" hatch from 5k eggs.

adamy

Banned

Pretty dirty tactics

lol if you think gyms is the way to level

Not

Banned
Caaaaaaaaught a Pikachu 😁

Level 18 now, halfway to 19. Got all the eevee evolutions and 2 arcanines

okay, to those that are saying the tracker is COMPLETELY broken, you guys are wrong. the list of nearby pokemon are still nearby. I suggest you guys go to a park though, instead of looking through neighborhoods... yeah it kind of sucks but what are you gonna do? the stuff that shows up on your list if you're at a park is likely within the park, all the jumping leaves are Pokémon spawns, so you have to allow your circle around your avatar hit all those areas in case that is where the pokemon that's on your list is spawned. once you find and cap the pokemon it is taken off your list...and not until another pokemon spawns or you get a scan for another Pokémon in your new area does more on your list show up, but once I hit 9 I just close and restart the app so I really see what is now close by because I know how wrong it is many times when you just leave it open, might as well start new.

correojon

I´m loosing interest pretty fast in this, it´s been 3 days already since I have caught anything new. I´m loosing motivation to go hunting as most times I´ve done I´ve only found shitty Zubats, Pidgeys and Rattatas. The other day I used a lucky egg and when the 30 mins ended I still had +350 Pidgey candies in my bag. So now I´ve even lost interest in catching fodder Pokémon for evolution exp. The app now can´t find anything while riding the bus to work and except 2 or 3, most eggs I´ve hatched (64) have given me things I already had.

Hope Niantic does something with the spawn rates so more interesting stuff pops up as 90% of what I find are Pidgeys, Zubats and Rattatas and I still haven´t found a single Pikachu. And most of all, hope they fix the radar so we have a chance at finding new Pokemons.

adamy

Banned
I´m loosing interest pretty fast in this, it´s been 3 days already since I have caught anything new. I´m loosing motivation to go hunting as most times I´ve done I´ve only found shitty Zubats, Pidgeys and Rattatas. The other day I used a lucky egg and when the 30 mins ended I still had +350 Pidgey candies in my bag. So now I´ve even lost interest in catching fodder Pokémon for evolution exp. The app now can´t find anything while riding the bus to work and except 2 or 3, most eggs I´ve hatched (64) have given me things I already had.

Hope Niantic does something with the spawn rates so more interesting stuff pops up as 90% of what I find are Pidgeys, Zubats and Rattatas and I still haven´t found a single Pikachu. And most of all, hope they fix the radar so we have a chance at finding new Pokemons.

Huh? Rode the bus this morning and evening with no issues… Caught a shit ton of Pokémon

acm2000

Breaking the maps have 100% killed my will to play this game

I just spent 15 mins walking in an ever widening circle to find a Venasuar that was on the top of my Nearby list

Didnt find him or anything else

10/10 Niantic

the order of the nearby list means nothing, nor does the pokemon listed as its never up to date information.

Fox Mulder

Just an FYI about Gen II Pokemon. They said at the SDCC panel that Gen II would be out by this December.

I'm sure lots of people will love it, but this will really ruin the game by diluting spawns and making it harder to earn candy for specific pokemon you'd want to power up or evolve.

I'm sure lots of people will love it, but this will really ruin the game by diluting spawns and making it harder to earn candy for specific pokemon you'd want to power up or evolve.

Yeah they're gonna have to do something like double the amount of spawns each generation.

Imagine trying to get a final evolution of a gen 7 starter.

NeoRausch

I really wonder how the candy stuff is going to work over time.
I mean, over time we will end up with over 700 Pokèmons and with that much diversity it's going to be very very hard to collect enough for a specific Pokemon.

adamy

Banned

lol no

game desperately needs diversity

I've pretty much caught/evolved/hatched everything that isn't region exclusive and so have most my friends that play

???

I've never heard this and I can't find anything supporting it. Source?

Edit: None of the Comic Con write-ups mention this at all, but they do say they vaguely hinted at more Pokémon in general possibly being added down the line. Certainly nothing as specific as "Gen 2 by December."

correojon

Huh? Rode the bus this morning and evening with no issues… Caught a shit ton of Pokémon

I read in Reddit that Niantic has changed something in the way Pokemon appear related to your speed and since yesterday morning I haven´t seen almost anything on my way to/from work, where I usually find lots of Pokemon. However as soon as I left the bus the little critters started spawning again.

NeoRausch

NeoRausch said:
Huh, that's strange.

Just started the game up and when it tries to connect it cuts off all my mobile data completely. No more connection to anything.

Everything else in the phone works right. Played it yesterday and everything was fine.

Already restarted the phone, still the same thing.

Any ideas?

Anyone?
Help!
I NEED MY FIX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom