• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr87

How the hell do I get Spotify to play in the background while I'm playing this game

iPhone here

I just start a song then double tap back into the game, no problems. Maybe it's a limitation of older iOS versions or older iPhones? I'm on a 6 with the latest iOS version.

Dartastic

For the first time ever I've been infuriated by their recent design choices and removal of 3rd party apps. Saw a Venusaur nearby. Walked around for like 20 minutes with a lure on to try and find it. It was even my highest pokemon in my "Nearby" tracker. Then it vanished. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

AdanVC

For the first time ever I've been infuriated by their recent design choices and removal of 3rd party apps. Saw a Venusaur nearby. Walked around for like 20 minutes with a lure on to try and find it. It was even my highest pokemon in my "Nearby" tracker. Then it vanished. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! I even got pissed just by reading this I can imagine how you feel. Don't feel like playing anymore until they either implement a proper tracking system in-game or allow 3rd parties to go back on business with their tracking sites.

mugwhump

Another Update from Niantic :https://www.facebook.com/PokemonGO/posts/941246106021948

welp, so releasing in more countries has a higher priority than fixing the broken game.

I think it makes a certain sense. They're not at peak playerbase yet, and the game's biggest problems so far (the game being down often, and the removal of tracking) have been the result of their infrastructure not being able to handle the unexpectedly large playerbase. Just from a technical perspective, they might want to grow the playerbase to its maximum size, and THEN come up with solutions that actually work at that size.

And it's also more fair. If I were brazilian I'd be damn salty if they'd delayed it even more.

You mean incense? Incense (and lure) pokemon are different from the "regular" pokemon you see on your map, unfortunately they wouldn't have helped with the Venusaur. That sucks though :(

Replicant

My top 40. Is this IV stuff real? Because I almost deleted that 11cp Crabby if I hadn't stumbled onto this site.

4a9bHuS.png

Lures or incense don't attract Pokémon that's on the tracker. They're completely separate mechanics in the game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
out in brazil. time to sub this bitch.

I have a gym right on the corner near my house too. I don't even understand how all of this works, but it feels good. Can't wait to check the surroundings at work tomorrow.

AdanVC

Yes everything is dead, afaik.

Damn... I guess that's it for me then. Will continue playing just to catch Pidgeys and Ratattas that appear randomly just to level up but not with the same excitement as before now that we're completely blind when a new pokemon silhouette appears. Will patiently wait until a new tracking method comes in. Hope it doesn't take too long.

FUUUUUUUUUCK :'(

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My top 40. Is this IV stuff real? Because I almost deleted that 11cp Crabby if I hadn't stumbled onto this site.

Eeh. It's still not really worth it to hang onto it. Would take way too many resources to get to a respectable level.

Damn... I guess that's it for me then. Will continue playing just to catch Pidgeys and Ratattas that appear randomly just to level up but not with the same excitement as before now that we're completely blind when a new pokemon silhouette appears. Will patiently wait until a new tracking method comes in. Hope it doesn't take too long.

FUUUUUUUUUCK :'(

Niantic made changes to the API. The trackers will be back to normal as long as the devs are able to find a way around Niantic's changes.

hirokazu

Incense generates new Pokémon near the user. Lures generate new Pokémon at the Pokéstop. Neither of those attract already generated Pokémon appearing on Nearby towards you and Pokémon generated by either don't appear on Nearby.

There is currently no order to the Nearby. There is no way to tell what is higher or lower or closer or farther than anything else on the list.

So it seems like apart from no footprints, you just pissed yourself off by not understanding the mechanics of the game?

Niantic made changes to the API. The trackers will be back to normal as long as the devs are able to find a way around Niantic's changes.

From what I can tell, it's just changes to the API responses so it shouldn't be too hard to work out what's new and rewrite the scanners to it. I could be wrong.

Playing this without being able to track where Pokemon are just isn't actually very fun which is a shame.

Will keep hatching eggs but I can't see myself dedicating any time to poke hunting until the in game tracker is fixed (or another third party solution pops up) - I have been using the one posted on gaf so thanks a lot jellies_two you really extended the life of this game for me

It's a shame as it was a really fun run while it lasted - I can see why they are worried that the game was too easy and that people may leave after completing their pokedex but unfortunately this has prematurely killed the game for me (at least for now)

Looking forward to seeing what they have in mind for their own in game tracker - and also hopeful a third party tracker gets working. I just hope that stuff comes out before the next generation of Pokemon come out as im determined to complete the kanto pokedex

What do I have to know when throwing Pokéballs? I'm getting a bit frustrated lol.

If you're throwing the ball short, let go of your finger further along the screen in one swift motion.

If you're trying to throw curveballs, do one circular motion and spiral out. Kinda like a hook. You kinda want to throw it "off" the screen. I usually start at the right (or left corner) of the screen and end about half way or a little above midway.

Your mean their distance away? How long did that functionality last versus when it was still in and broken?

Jellies_two made a pretty good replacement for that on here. Let's be clear that functionality barely worked in game and was implemented badly from the start even when it was in the game - so im excited niantic have plans to change those mechanics

That said in the mean time while the third party solutions are offline it's not a bad time to give the game a bit of a rest - could do with saving mobile data for a big trip this month too lol

My ideal solution would be a compass direction and a meter reading - would make the compass on the map useful and could be a fun way to be funnelled in a direction but not be handheld - even if you know the Pokemon is a specific direction you have to judge based on the road layout where exactly it will be and make the right turnings to get to him

Dartastic

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! I even got pissed just by reading this I can imagine how you feel. Don't feel like playing anymore until they either implement a proper tracking system in-game or allow 3rd parties to go back on business with their tracking sites.
Yeah. Super frustrating.
You mean incense? Incense (and lure) pokemon are different from the "regular" pokemon you see on your map, unfortunately they wouldn't have helped with the Venusaur. That sucks though :(
I do mean that. Good to know. Regardless, that SUCKED. I had NO idea which way to go, and it's one of the Pokemon I've wanted since the game launched. It seemed like it should have been within a block or two of me! Super frustrating. :(

mugwhump

What do I have to know when throwing Pokéballs? I'm getting a bit frustrated lol.

According to that reddit thread I quoted above, it seems catch rate is affected by the size of the circle, but your ball doesn't actually need to land inside the circle. Which is weird because it makes the "nice/great/excellent" text counterproductive.

Geneijin

According to that reddit thread I quoted above, it seems catch rate is affected by the size of the circle, but your ball doesn't actually need to land inside the circle. Which is weird because it makes the "nice/great/excellent" text counterproductive.
Yet, it's even more baffling they removed the bonus exp for those who could do so.

GulAtiCa

Looks like they removed all the Pokestops at the nearby cemetery by my house. Were probably like 20 there, with 2 gyms. Honestly though, that's probably a good thing. That is not really a place you should be playing a phone game. There are plenty of other areas where there are better pokestops. The Historic Roswell is filled with back to back to back pokestops. Much better.

Also, it looks like the Mormon church on my way to work had their gym taken down. That's obviously fine, and in their right if they don't want unwanted company. However, I do find it kinda hilarious that another Christan church literally 250 feet down the road is another gym and welcomes Pokemon GO players. Kinda funny to see one reject and shut down and other so open and welcoming. lol

Huh, so I guess the FAQ on the official site was literal then. I wasn't sure if they'd just neglected to specify if you had to hit the circle or not but I guess they didn't mention it because it makes no difference then?
https://support.pokemongo.nianticla...s/221957648-Finding-and-Catching-wild-Pokémon
5. You have the greatest chance of capturing the Pokémon while the colored ring is at its smallest diameter. At the opportune moment, fling the Poké Ball toward the Pokémon.
:/

I do mean that. Good to know. Regardless, that SUCKED. I had NO idea which way to go, and it's one of the Pokemon I've wanted since the game launched. It seemed like it should have been within a block or two of me! Super frustrating. :(
Probably worth knowing that you can hatch them from 2km eggs and that starter-line pokemon found in the wild (but not eggs, luckily) will almost always have bad attack IVs (often zero) so while it's worth finding some kind of regular spawn for them for getting candies you really want one from an egg to build up :3

GulAtiCa

Hmm, how important would you say Stamina is currently?

My Magikarp is 15/15/11 for 91.1% Should I continue to wait for 95+%? Or is Stamina not that important?

I have over 400 candies now. But I kinda want to wait until I get a better IV Magikarp. Esp since I obviously won't be evolving another any time soon. It would make more sense for me to just evolve a excellent or perfect Magikarp and just level it up.

I've been hoarding scrub pokemon and their candy for a mass lucky egg evolving session. I did 61 in 30 minutes to take me from level 18 to 20. I foolishly spent all my Eevee candy though so I won't be able to power up my new ones for a while

ciD_Vain

My Magikarp is 15/15/11 for 91.1% Should I continue to wait for 95+%? Or is Stamina not that important?

I have over 400 candies now. But I kinda want to wait until I get a better IV Magikarp. Esp since I obviously won't be evolving another any time soon. It would make more sense for me to just evolve a excellent or perfect Magikarp and just level it up.

Moves are more important than IV

Stamina determines your pokemon's health, so more stamina means it can take more hits. To be honest, anything hitting 80% or better IVs is already pretty good, 90% and higher is amazing. You're not going to find a lot of 100% pokemon in all honesty so I'd probably go for it.

Moves are more important than IV
You won't know the moves until you evolve it though :p

I'll probably stop actively playing until 3rd parties figure a way around Niantic's API changes or Niantic themselves fix the game tracker. It's just not fun walking around aimlessly in hopes of having the pokemon you want from the nearby list appear in front of you.
I'll still have the app open whenever I have to do some errands in order to hatch eggs but I won't be actively hunting.

TLDR fix your shit Niantic.

Today I only added to the pokedex:
Seaking
Dugtrio

Oh I agree, I just won't know what moves I get till after I evolve Magikarp. And since Magikarp takes 400 candies.... I'll really only have 1 shot at this. At least till I get 400 more candies in a month.

Besides attacks and all that, if you want to put the Gyarados up in a gym then stamina is pretty important. If you just want to use it as an attacker, then those IVs are fine.

So has anyone suffered the account lost effect and been able to recover it? My sister lost her account and shes bummed I have tired everything listed and contacted there support they have yet to actually give a conscious reply. She just spent money on coins too

eek5

From what I can tell, it's just changes to the API responses so it shouldn't be too hard to work out what's new and rewrite the scanners to it. I could be wrong.

Looks like it's a bit more complicated than that

https://github.com/AeonLucid/POGOProtos/issues/131#issuecomment-237419887

Could be a minute.

So niantic killed the tracking completely?

They changed their API response now people need to reverse engineer the request and response to figure out where the pokemans are. There is currently a unknown field that the client is sending to the server. People are theorizing that this is the entire request being checksummed and Niantic validates that the request hasn't been altered otherwise they'll send back an empty array of map objects so until someone figures out what the data in that field is or how to generate it we won't be seeing any kind of maps anywhere lol

dmr87

Oh I agree, I just won't know what moves I get till after I evolve Magikarp. And since Magikarp takes 400 candies.... I'll really only have 1 shot at this. At least till I get 400 more candies in a month.

That feeling when you evolve your ideal Magikarp and get a Gyarados with Twister, happened to a friend of mine.

I still need more candy for mine, I have an almost perfect Magikarp ready to go. Scary.

So I wonder when and how hard will Niantic will punish the players using the Hack tool that let's you run anywhere and cheating the system. There's two or three people in my town that has Two Dragonites each over 23k or 30k and they're level 30^. Now it's one thing using the hack tool to get to locations that you cannot or wouldn't reach but it's another thing abusing it to take control of multiple gyms with High level dragonites. Cheating is cheating but this is BS. If they're legit then that's totally fine but I honestly find it very hard to believe it is when they make it pretty evident that they control three gyms both being the same username and have multiple Pokemon that's very rare and hard to acquire let alone buffing to max stats.

Looks like it's a bit more complicated than that

https://github.com/AeonLucid/POGOProtos/issues/131#issuecomment-237419887

Could be a minute.

They changed their API response now people need to reverse engineer the request and response to figure out where the pokemans are. There is currently a unknown field that the client is sending to the server. People are theorizing that this is the entire request being checksummed and Niantic validates that the request hasn't been altered otherwise they'll send back an empty array of map objects so until someone figures out what the data in that field is or how to generate it we won't be seeing any kind of maps anywhere lol

Yes, I'm sure they'll figure it out it requires tracing the assembler and decompiling. However, Niantic are sooner or later going to twig that the best way to block these mappers is to more carefully look at the accounts in use. If they make it harder to create lots of accounts, if they tag accounts that jump around a lot, and tag accounts used constantly over hours and days, and tag IPs that are producing so much traffic concentrated on a subset of accounts, they'll easily be able to defeat mappers without further API obfuscation.

zroid

Banned
I have no idea how you people throw "real" curveballs, the whole thing completely baffles me. But since they removed the XP bonus for nice/great/excellent I've gotten pretty good at hitting the sides of Pokémon via direct throws. :D

eek5

Yes, I'm sure they'll figure it out it requires tracing the assembler and decompiling. However, Niantic are sooner or later going to twig that the best way to block these mappers is to more carefully look at the accounts in use. If they make it harder to create lots of accounts, if they tag accounts that jump around a lot, and tag accounts used constantly over hours and days, and tag IPs that are producing so much traffic concentrated on a subset of accounts, they'll easily be able to defeat mappers without further API obfuscation.

Playing cat and mouse seems way less effort than auditing a bunch of accounts. I suspect they already know every single account that has accessed the API with the unauthorized API and are just waiting to do one huge ban wave anyway. We already know there were optional fields the client was sending to the API that the fake API wrapper doesn't send.

There is going to be so much salt from all the people that logged into pokeadvisor. I cannot wait.

deanote666

Went to a botanical garden earlier with over 20 stops and at least 3 gyms.

Didn't see 1 pokemon.

Have a local historical park with 10-20 pokestops and 3 gyms.

Don't see any pokemon.

*sigh*

I've gotten 2 bag upgrades just because I don't want to discard regular balls since I'm apparently unable to use them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom