• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how you people throw "real" curveballs, the whole thing completely baffles me. But since they removed the XP bonus for nice/great/excellent I've gotten pretty good at hitting the sides of Pokémon via direct throws. :D

Do you mean like baseball curveballs? It's the way the seams cut through the air. Kind of like if you were to make a paper airplane with straight wings, then it would fly straight. But if you put a two rips, like a small flap, into one wing, then it'll spiral to whatever side that flap is.

Unless you mean Pokeball curveballs then idk. I just spin that crap and throw it to the side of the screen lol.

zroid

Banned
Do you mean like baseball curveballs? It's the way the seams cut through the air. Kind of like if you were to make a paper airplane with straight wings, then it would fly straight. But if you put a two rips, like a small flap, into one wing, then it'll spiral to whatever side that flap is.

Unless you mean Pokeball curveballs then idk. I just spin that crap and throw it to the side of the screen lol.

:lol yes I was talking about the spinning shit in PoGo

doesn't make any sense to me, every time I've tried it the ball doesn't land anywhere near the Pokémon

Been looking into the old field test combat system that used to exist and it's kind of crazy how much better it sounds than what we got :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4ep85j/report_gyms_are_now_enabled_in_the_pokemon_go/

So, here's some highlights:
* you used to have a stamina bar that would be depleted by attacking or dodging, restored over time (20% per second) and by getting hit. Charged attacks cost 50% of your bar.
* enemy attacks were telegraphed by a crosshair locking onto your pokemon so you could tell fairly accurately when it was about to strike and decide whether to dodge or attack
* Certain attacks were 'Area of Effect' and couldn't be dodged, but there's hints that a jump option was going to be included specifically to avoid them instead.

Looking at these, the lengthy hold and startup animations on the charged attacks in the current system make more sense as they would've been less of a handicap in ye olde system.
Stamina (the combat stamina mentioned above, not to be confused with the stamina stat on pokemon that determines their maximum health... though it used to effect this stuff :p) looks like it was changed into the energy system we have now which is exclusively used for special attacks.(hence why you can dodge and spam quick attacks infinitely now)

edit: oh wow... this game has changed a lot. Apparently it used to have status effects and the berries to cure them, plus it even had evolution stones that you collected shards of by battling wild pokemon. And this was seperate from candies :eek:
http://nintendowire.com/blog/2016/03/29/pokemon-go-details-revealed-field-tests/

deanote666

Is anyone able to dodge and not lose HP?

It says that I dodged but still lose HP..

I swipe when the screen flashes but only actually dodge half the time. 3/4 of that, the attack animation still hits after the dodge.

How does training in a gym actually work? Unless I'm bad at dodging, I'm having trouble seeing how 1 pokemon can survive 3 in a gym.

I swipe when the screen flashes but only actually dodge half the time. 3/4 of that, the attack animation still hits after the dodge.

How does training in a gym actually work? Unless I'm bad at dodging, I'm having trouble seeing how 1 pokemon can survive 3 in a gym.
Does this help? It's a fairly detailed look into the dodging system and explains things like the damage window and whatnot :3
https://fevgames.net/pokemon-go-a-deeper-look-into-dodging/

Dodging has a timing window. Perfect timing avoids all damage. Barely making it, and you'll get a fraction of the damage.

As far as training goes, I personally think it's more efficient to battle just the first Pokemon with a matching or slightly lower CP. it gives you about 500 prestige points. Anything higher CP wise and you get hit with a handicap which is why taking out a gym full of 800 CP pokes with a 2k CP will probably get you 300 prestige points.

Been looking into the old field test combat system that used to exist and it's kind of crazy how much better it sounds than what we got :p

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4ep85j/report_gyms_are_now_enabled_in_the_pokemon_go/

So, here's some highlights:
* you used to have a stamina bar that would be depleted by attacking or dodging, restored over time (20% per second) and by getting hit. Charged attacks cost 50% of your bar.
* enemy attacks were telegraphed by a crosshair locking onto your pokemon so you could tell fairly accurately when it was about to strike and decide whether to dodge or attack
* Certain attacks were 'Area of Effect' and couldn't be dodged, but there's hints that a jump option was going to be included specifically to avoid them instead.

Looking at these, the lengthy hold and startup animations on the charged attacks in the current system make more sense as they would've been less of a handicap in ye olde system.
Stamina (the combat stamina mentioned above, not to be confused with the stamina stat on pokemon that determines their maximum health... though it used to effect this stuff :p) looks like it was changed into the energy system we have now which is exclusively used for special attacks.(hence why you can dodge and spam quick attacks infinitely now)

edit: oh wow... this game has changed a lot. Apparently it used to have status effects and the berries to cure them, plus it even had evolution stones that you collected shards of by battling wild pokemon. And this was seperate from candies :eek:
http://nintendowire.com/blog/2016/03/29/pokemon-go-details-revealed-field-tests/

I wonder how much of that, if any, will be added back into the game. The one upside of the craze dying down is that Niantic will have to spend less time on server issues and more time on improving the actual game.

I wonder how much of that, if any, will be added back into the game. The one upside of the craze dying down is that Niantic will have to spend less time on server issues and more time on improving the actual game.
Heck knows, but I would like to see the ability to program how your pokemon fights when defending a gym come back. That sounds like something I was thinking would've been a nice addition, kind of amazing to find out it used to be in there XD
I can kind of see why item being useable in combat got removed though, it would've made it easy to just face-tank through a gym by spamming potions :eek:

edit: haha, reading through the changes more, I think people would've probably paid a pretty penny to get those old 500 limit egg bags XD

So I want to wait to dodge right before the damage phase starts?

So basically, wait a second after the animation starts before dodging?
Yeah, you want to do it just slighty after the flash rather than on the flash, depending on quick you think your swipe input is (which is another reason I hate swipe inputs, in addition to them being easy for the game to mistake for a tap sometimes :p) and how long before the damage window starts for that specific attack after the flash which indicates the start of the attack.
No point in paying any attention to the animation I'm afraid, it doesn't really tell you anything: it's all about that yellow flash.

edit: well, I'm perhaps being a bit too harsh on the animations here. What I said is true for the majority of quick attacks but some of the specials do require you to note the animation: primarily ones with a projectile that you have to dodge instead of the 'flash' or the like.

edit 2: ooooh, that site has detailed animation time and damage windows for all the attacks :D
https://fevgames.net/pokemon-go/guide/pokemon/fast-attacks/
https://fevgames.net/pokemon-go/guide/pokemon/special-attacks/

hirokazu

Looks like it's a bit more complicated than that

https://github.com/AeonLucid/POGOProtos/issues/131#issuecomment-237419887

Could be a minute.

They changed their API response now people need to reverse engineer the request and response to figure out where the pokemans are. There is currently a unknown field that the client is sending to the server. People are theorizing that this is the entire request being checksummed and Niantic validates that the request hasn't been altered otherwise they'll send back an empty array of map objects so until someone figures out what the data in that field is or how to generate it we won't be seeing any kind of maps anywhere lol

Interesting. If they're signing every message sent to the server, this could be it for the foreseeable future.

For what it's worth, since it disables all the current bots, I support this, even though scanners are also disabled. Now they need to go after GPS spoofers.

Interesting. If they're signing every message sent to the server, this could be it for the foreseeable future.

For what it's worth, since it disables all the current bots, I support this, even though scanners are also disabled. Now they need to go after GPS spoofers.

Why, because whatever the client can sign, can be signed by bots using the same code. There are not any secrets in the client software that can't be dug out and replicated. That is why the end-game is to block accounts and IPs..

Svafnir

Why, because whatever the client can sign, can be signed by bots using the same code. There are not any secrets in the client software that can't be dug out and replicated. That is why the end-game is to block accounts and IPs..

Could still take a long time to reverse engineer... However with so many people working on it, I imagine it won't take more than a few days.

Eh.. not my fault that people decided to cheat
*rolls eyes*

Yes, those damn cheaters, looking at their IVs. The game is ruined, truly things will be better when we can laugh at their banned accounts.

You're *that guy* who gets mad at everyone who doesn't play Monopoly 100% by the printed rules, aren't you?

Toki767

Just hit level 25. Pokedex is at 122 caught, 123 seen.

My group seems fairly decent I guess. I really need to find more Dratini to power up my Dragonite though. Same with Snorlax actually...not that I can really farm them anywhere.

Co_FUgTVUAAZMVn.jpg

eek5

*rolls eyes*

Yes, those damn cheaters, looking at their IVs. The game is ruined, truly things will be better when we can laugh at their banned accounts.

You're *that guy* who gets mad at everyone who doesn't play Monopoly 100% by the printed rules, aren't you?

I don't care either way but seeing the salt flow when the ban wave hits will be fun times. I mean if you want to take the risk and give your credentials toa third party to login to your account on your behalf using an unauthorized client that breaks Niantic's ToS that you agreed to then you accept the consequences of that. Not my problem.

hirokazu

Well it could be a matter of time, or it could take a while. I like that bots have been shut down for the time being. If or when this is figured out, both bots and scanners will be start up again.

But this at least gives them time to maybe start banning accounts if bots start working again or go after blatant GPS spoofers.

*rolls eyes*

Well they haven't gone after people checking IVs. Yet.

I don't care either way but seeing the salt flow when the ban wave hits will be fun times. I mean if you want to take the risk and give your credentials toa third party to login to your account on your behalf using an unauthorized client that breaks Niantic's ToS that you agreed to then you accept the consequences of that. Not my problem.
You don't care, you just seek the enjoyment of watching people being banned from games they enjoy for "offenses" that are functionally by definition completely benign.

So, you're just a shitty person. Got it.

I hope they don't go after people who used pokeadvisor. It's easy to 'fall for it' without knowing you're going against the ToS and in the end you're not even doing something that affects other players.

Well it could be a matter of time, or it could take a while. I like that bots have been shut down for the time being. If or when this is figured out, both bots and scanners will be start up again..

Hmm, If this is true (posted in the dev channel a few minutes ago)

sqKhAGN.png

then Niantic know enough to build in secrets and therefore blocks to bots, that are very hard to dig out. Because unless I'm mis-reading it, the Ingress API has some part of its protocol that has not been reverse engineered, for "a year now".

zroid

Banned
OMG I saw a Growlithe silhouette on my radar and I was gonna cry because there's no way I'm running around aimlessly after midnight to try and locate it.

aaand then it popped up right where I was sitting \o/

I hope they don't go after people who used pokeadvisor. It's easy to 'fall for it' without knowing you're going against the ToS and in the end you're not even doing something that affects other players.

Well there are other methods to check IVs that don't require breaking ToS, it's just PokeAdvisor is so convenient. Oh, technology has spoiled us. LOL.

Certainly don't think people should get banned for checking stats on their Pokémon. Don't really see it happening as there are probably millions of people that have used that site. Hell, there are "legit" players on YouTube that use and even point people towards the site.

Quonny

The best part of this is that you don't give your credentials to a third party to log into PokeAdvisor. But you'd know that if you did any research at all before calling everyone cheaters.

hirokazu

then Niantic know enough to build in secrets and therefore blocks to bots, that are very hard to dig out. Because unless I'm mis-reading it, the Ingress API has some part of its protocol that has not been reverse engineered, for "a year now".
Didn't know that. Even though Ingress was mostly a nerd game, this game still has a multitude more people interested in working on it though.

I wish there was a place to flag users who probably cheated so they can investigate. I calculated yesterday that most if not all players above level 32 probably cheated. And above level 35 I'd say they almost definitely cheated. Not to mention these players usually populate all the gyms in a given area with high powered Dragonites, Snorlaxes or Laprases.

dmr87

If they want to ban me for checking IVs then they can go ahead. Ban your most hardcore players that goes out of their way to min-max and most likely spends money on your game.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

I dunno, but it sounds like you're the one that's drowning in salt

eek5

The best part of this is that you don't give your credentials to a third party to log into PokeAdvisor. But you'd know that if you did any research at all before calling everyone cheaters.

What do you think pokeadvisor does when you give them your authentication key or PTC login? lol

They use it to login to pogo servers using a fake client.

JDdelphin

Just hit level 25. Pokedex is at 122 caught, 123 seen.

My group seems fairly decent I guess. I really need to find more Dratini to power up my Dragonite though. Same with Snorlax actually...not that I can really farm them anywhere.

Out of curiosity- how did you get all that?

Like seriously, are you the luckiest guy in the world or are you actively aggressively playing more than an hour a day...

Toki767

Out of curiosity- how did you get all that?

Like seriously, are you the luckiest guy in the world or are you actively aggressively playing more than an hour a day...

Well I've been playing since launch, so a little over a month now?

I go running a lot though so I tend to just leave the app on and hold my phone while I'm running. Since the app launched, I just run through areas with a ton of pokestops/lures.

Obviously living in a major city like San Francisco helps a lot too.

But I'm not finding these things in the wild or anything like that. Dragonite I evolved from a Dragonair that I managed to catch. It was 1081 CP and went up to 2200ish after evolving. Snorlax came from an egg and I used up all the candy that came with it to power it up. Everything else came from evolving, not catching them in the wild.

Joni

The first morning on 0.31 went quite well. Caught 10 Pokémon, with only a 700+ Hypno really requiring more than 2 balls but I should have switched to Ultra Balls, so that is my fault more. The others went in quite good, even the annoying Zubat. I did have one Paras run immediately. The unstable GPS thing is more annoying.

I thought lures spawned one pook every 5 minutes?

Yes, but they don't spawn faster when you move, that is only Incense.

Trying to decide what I should spend my next 200 coins on. Another bag upgrade or a Pokémon slot upgrade for the inevitable 2nd Gen pokemon.

Vuze

There is going to be so much salt from all the people that logged into pokeadvisor. I cannot wait.
Awful attitude. Not the users fault when Niantic can't fix their own damn tracker but 3rd party apps were working just fine since launch effectively forcing the user base there.
But I guess hardcore purist love walking around aimlessly trying to catch a Pokemon from the "nearby" list that despawned 10mins ago

Banning map users and IV checkers would create more negative backlash than anything and probably initiate mass refunding of MTAs. I very much doubt it.

As for giving out credentials, have fun with that PTC account using a throwaway pass and username. If somebody logged in to any of these websites with their main google account, it's really their own fault.

I think one map app dev got their account terminated by Google alongside all his other apps after Niantic complained or sth. Publishing a ToS breaking app or using ToS breaking services on your main account is just stupid, I agree from this point of view.

I'd focus on right now before something that's technically still hypothetical. What are you going to get more use out of this very moment?

2nd gen likely won't be coming for months.

Yeah, I know. I should probably just get another item upgrade because I just hit 25 and Max Revives are taking up slots now. Really only considering a Pokémon Slot upgrade because I'm keeping a lot of Pokémon to diversify my CP ranges so that I can match them up with my teams' gyms to get more Prestige out of the battles.

zulux21

I'm still very much not convinced they'll be releasing new Pokémon by generation anyway, but I guess we'll see.

they will once their numbers dip decently as it will cause a nice spike in players again.

I figure 6 months to one year will be when the release the next gen of pokemon.

at that rate it will take what 3-6 years to catch up with the current pokemon and will offer another .5-2 years of new pokemon that haven't been released yet.

3.5-8 years would no doubt be a good run for a game like this.

I am pretty happy with my team at level 25 (Still no dragonite, but one day...) but I have hit a bit of a wall in terms of powering up. Having to catch 20-40 Pokemon for the dust each time I want to level up one Pokemon, once, is a bit of a bitch.

they will once their numbers dip decently as it will cause a nice spike in players again.

I figure 6 months to one year will be when the release the next gen of pokemon.

at that rate it will take what 3-6 years to catch up with the current pokemon and will offer another .5-2 years of new pokemon that haven't been released yet.

3.5-8 years would no doubt be a good run for a game like this.

What I'm saying it, releasing them specifically in generation-by-generation waves doesn't necessarily seem like the way to go. It seems like the obvious choice for longtime fans, but I think there are smarter ways to do it. Like, smaller (but perhaps more frequent) blocks based on popularity, or event (film releases, game releases, and other events) and seasonal driven releases. Especially with Sun & Moon JUST around the corner, waiting to go through blocks of ~70-150 every several months doesn't seem like an ideal rollout plan. There will be a batch of newly popular Pokémon who wouldn't hit Go until like, sometime around gen 8's release. I feel maybe 20 or so specifically chosen Pokémon every month or two would be more logical and engaging than just hitting everyone with an average of over 100 new Pokémon once or twice a year.

Acinixys

Breaking the maps have 100% killed my will to play this game

I just spent 15 mins walking in an ever widening circle to find a Venasuar that was on the top of my Nearby list

Didnt find him or anything else

10/10 Niantic

Just lost a Dragonite. Threw berries, Ultra curveballs with a few Great/Nice hits. After like, six ball hits it bailed. That feeling, man.

Then there's that Abra that has been hovering around me on my way to and from work, always just a few steps (direction unknown) from spawning.

Frustration doesn't even begin to describe this game sometimes and this is only the beginning of the real
grind. Level 22, about 55 left to get in the 'Dex.

zulux21

What I'm saying it, releasing them specifically in generation-by-generation waves doesn't necessarily seem like the way to go. It seems like the obvious choice for longtime fans, but I think there are smarter ways to do it. Like, smaller (but perhaps more frequent) blocks based on popularity, or event (film releases, game releases, and other events) and seasonal driven releases. Especially with Sun & Moon JUST around the corner, waiting to go through blocks of ~70-150 every several months doesn't seem like an ideal rollout plan. There will be a batch of newly popular Pokémon who wouldn't hit Go until like, sometime around gen 8's release. I feel maybe 20 or so specifically chosen Pokémon every month or two would be more logical and engaging than just hitting everyone with an average of over 100 new Pokémon once or twice a year.

that route would be far more interesting for active players, and I would enjoy that as long as eventually all pokemon were added.

releasing by waves though would likely attract much more people back though.

It really comes down to if they think more frequent updates will keep fans longer, or if the big updates to draw people back would be more worth it.

Historically with MMOs the big updates help a ton to get back players while constant updates only help slow the bleeding of players.

I could see them go either way.

to be fair... it's not really important until they get a damn working tracker again lol.
I am hoping the new tracker is more detailed to the point that if I see a pokemon on my nearby I know about how far away it is from me. nothing would suck more than constantly hunting pokemon that vanish before you can get there.

Breaking the maps have 100% killed my will to play this game

I just spent 15 mins walking in an ever widening circle to find a Venasuar that was on the top of my Nearby list

Didnt find him or anything else

10/10 Niantic

Lost out on a Golduck today due to Nearby fuckery. I've gotten like, 1-2 Psyducks since launch, so that stings. Not anywhere near Venasaur bad though.

They should have just disabled the entirety of Nearby while they fix it, rather than just removing the pawprints. It's not even close to actually being usable, so it just ends up taunting you with the silhouette of something cool for 30 minutes, long after you know it has despawned. It's like a big middle finger every time. OH I BET YOU WANT THIS, TOO BAD YOU'LL NEVER FIND IT (assuming it even existed to begin with, MWAHAH)!

Waldini

Is ... is Niantec trying to kill off their own game?

Why put some much effort into making sure people can't use a scanner? Focus on fixing the fucking "nearby" function. Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom