• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Why does its moves matter if you are evolving it? Everything I've read indicates moves are randomly selected when evolved.

I've seen people speculate that the moves it has dictates the moves it will have when it evolves, but does anyone have any evidence of this? Seen zero correlation.

That post suggests to me that those are the moves the Dragonite ended up with.

Lukemon

And sooo many people were convinced the catch rate was the same, or easier.

It's still basic probability, just with different numbers. Some of us continued to get lucky, some didn't. Niantic saying there's a bug in the catch algorithm doesn't discredit people who have had the good fortune to still be catching stuff at a decent rate. It's all just luck, at the end of the day.

That post suggests to me that those are the moves the Dragonite ended up with.

Touché, silly me.

Never seen a dragonite and dratini spawns are rare here, I'll probably have a bit of a melt down if I ever get to the stage of evolving to a dragonite and the game slaps me with the move set.

Why does its moves matter if you are evolving it? Everything I've read indicates moves are randomly selected when evolved.

I've seen people speculate that the moves it has dictates the moves it will have when it evolves, but does anyone have any evidence of this? Seen zero correlation.

You misinterpreted my statement. Steel Wing is what I got after evolving.

Steel Wing is great on defense as it checks three of Dragonite's four weaknesses (Ice/Rock/Fairy) - great to dump in a Gym since anyone looking to beat it based on typing will likely lose. There's hope yet!

I was thinking of just dumping it at the gym near my house to mark my territory haha.

Friend evolved his first Gyarados, got Twister.

FeelsBadMan.

My 2nd Gyarados got Twister too :(

Went out tonight and geezer I'm either unlucky of that bug is working overtime. First 5 pokemon out of 7 broke free and ran after the first try.
Excellent with great ball on an 106 cp charmander and he broke free. Fml.
3 nice in a row on a 163 paras. Breaks free everytime on second shake. I throw a great and it breaks free immediately lol.

JavyOO7

Maybe placebo effect but in re: to Pokeymans far away...

Turn on the AR. Turn it back off. I read the suggestion on one of the GO's subreddits and it seems to work for me.

Am I going crazy?

Muku

I hatched a weedle and pidgy out of eggs earlier.

My life is now complete.

Where are these starters I should be hatching?

I wish I knew because I don't get them either. I get the rare Pidgey. Otherwise it's Weedles out of 2kms. I wish I could trash eggs because I'd trash all of my 2km ones because they're obviously the most useless things ever.

It's still basic probability, just with different numbers. Some of us continued to get lucky, some didn't. Niantic saying there's a bug in the catch algorithm doesn't discredit people who have had the good fortune to still be catching stuff at a decent rate. It's all just luck, at the end of the day.
Funny how all the lucky people happened to mostly be under lvl 20, where the catch rates and difficulty scaling hadn't really affected them yet anyway.

Did they increase the amount of XP you get for catching Pokemon? I just got 200 for a Drowzee and don't have a lucky egg going

The exp stacks if you do things fast enough. For example, catch a Pokemon, then immediately afterwards spin a Pokestop before the server has a chance to add it on to you and it will show as a total of 150 exp instead of 100 and 50 seperately.

Funny how all the lucky people happened to mostly be under lvl 20, where the catch rates and difficulty scaling hadn't really affected them yet anyway.

The exp stacks if you do things fast enough. For example, catch a Pokemon, then immediately afterwards spin a Pokestop before the server has a chance to add it on to you and it will show as a total of 150 exp instead of 100 and 50 seperately.

But I'm nowhere near a pokestop, I'll pay closer attention next time I catch something and see what happens

3phemeral

But I'm nowhere near a pokestop, I'll pay closer attention next time I catch something and see what happens

Best way to see this is to evolve a bunch of creatures while staying within your Pokemon-list menu, then when you're done, when you exit the list, it'll show the combined total of all the XP you gained. I do this for when I use a Lucky Egg to see what I've gained during my evolution spree.

84.4% Eevee and enough candy to evolve, I have a Vaporeon already so which do you guys prefer out of Flareon and Jolteon?

I need fire, Flareon it is

It seems that the game is fun without the tracker because the game came out yesterday where I live and now there are over 400 people in a nearby park in a cold winter night

GulAtiCa

Wait till you get tired of pidgeys

Until they realize how secretly awesome they are for mass-leveling. Sadly I was like lv 17 by time I figured that out... lol

Actually, maybe just me, but I've been seeing a lot of different Pokemon lately (among the common ones too), esp evolved Pokemon too.

zulux21

Until they realize how secretly awesome they are for mass-leveling. Sadly I was like lv 17 by time I figured that out... lol

Actually, maybe just me, but I've been seeing a lot of different Pokemon lately (among the common ones too), esp evolved Pokemon too.

i've been seeing all the same ones, and all stupid high CP for their type meaning they aren't even good to catch for EXP.

at least I ran into a 887 Tauros, though it wasn't my first one.

Niantic have definitely changed the spawn. Before the update, there were only Zubats and Pidgeys around my place. Now the variety is improved and I even encounter Eevee and Koffing multiple times. The change is quite good and I hope they could continue with the mixing of pokemons in different areas.

More like growlithes , ponytas and charmanders in the case o that park

I am at level 16 and I have never seen a Charmander. ;_;

johnsmith

remember me
Saw this on facebook, apparently it's been spotted in my neighborhood.

rlJaYxp.png

border

When evaluating which Pokemon I want to evolve, should I just be looking at CP? Or do I need to take IV into account as well?

dity

Yo dude-o, I wanna report in that I'm level 20 now - 9k from 21.

I caught 30+ Pokemon today. My journal says only one ran away, although the journal doesn't go all the way back to the start of my walk.

The only thing making me go through more balls is that Pokemon are a much higher CP than before.

dity

The Pokemon I encounter are a lot more diverse now too. I only run into Rattata, Pidgey, and Zubat on occasion. Way less than before.

Yo dude-o, I wanna report in that I'm level 20 now - 9k from 21.

I caught 30+ Pokemon today. My journal says only one ran away, although the journal doesn't go all the way back to the start of my walk.

The only thing making me go through more balls is that Pokemon are a much higher CP than before.
It will get harder as you level up, although I wanna say they must be tweaking their algorithim serverside since I noticed less non-agressive low-level commons breaking free/fleeing today.

Another issue has been the items being given out at pokestops have been severely favoring giving out only 3. 8 out of 9 stops only give 3 items on average when before getting 3 felt unlucky, and most stops gave 4 to 5 items. Getting 4 feels as rare as getting the lucky 7 or 8 before. Maybe this is a "bug" too.

dity

It will get harder as you level up, although I wanna say they must be tweaking their algorithim serverside since I noticed less non-agressive low-level commons breaking free/fleeing today.

Another issue has been the items being given out at pokestops have been severely favoring giving out only 3. 8 out of 9 stops only give 3 items on average when before getting 3 felt unlucky, and most stops gave 4 to 5 items. Getting 4 feels as rare as getting the lucky 7 or 8 before. Maybe this is a "bug" too.

Yeah, I wasn't getting the low CP break outs people were talking about for commons at all. I expected to encounter that, but no. Although the average CP for the Pokemon I encounter has gone up into the 300s-400s (with some outliers) which definitely makes capturing Pokemon more difficult for sure. I ran from a few Pokemon because the 3 candies I'd get wasn't worth its weight in balls. There's definitely a stark difference between level 19 and 20, you were right on that.

dmr87

When evaluating which Pokemon I want to evolve, should I just be looking at CP? Or do I need to take IV into account as well?

You want as high CP as possible so that you don't need to spend as much dust/candy to power it up, but IV and abilities are the important part. You can affect CP, IV and abilities are just luck.

You only need to worry about abilities when going into the last evolve though.

Joni

Good to see they're addressing the catch rate. I do hope they make mass spawns ridicously easy to catch on high levels. Everything lower than CP 100 in the common Pokémon should take one good Pokéball.

zroid

Banned
Just turn on AR, you know, the default setting... And move Pokemon to the bottom. Simple.

I used to use the AR, but maybe it's a problem with my phone's gyro, sometimes the Pokémon continually floats in one direction so I have to keep spinning around to keep it straight. :\

Unless you mean turning the gyro on and off does the same thing as re-engaging the Pokémon?

Razmos

Literally every single gym in my home town is a level 7-9 valour gym controlled by the same people, like 5 or 6 of them.

Why does everyone pick valour? Eurgh.

I don't think anyone can be bothered trying to take the gyms because it would take ages, the rewards are crap and not worth it and they would just be immediately taken back.

I should have realised when picking my team that Valour would win out, since it's the red one.

Vuze

Literally every single gym in my home town is a level 7-9 valour gym controlled by the same people, like 5 or 6 of them.

I don't think anyone can be bothered trying to take the gyms because it would take ages, the rewards are crap and not worth it and they would just be immediately taken back.

I should have realised when picking my team that Valour would win out, since it's the red one.
Wouldn't generalise that much. Red is the least present time in my area (I checked all gyms for multiple days and compared the changes WHEN MAPPERS STILL WORKED), followed by Yellow. Mystic dominates by a huge margin (yay :p).

But you're right, I helped leveling a gym to level 6 the other day and I'm still in with my shitty Muk :D

E: Also lol at that graph Niantic posted. That's worse than the shit graphics card companies pull to present their new products lmao

dity

My local area is either all red or all blue, with a smattering of yellow. Students carpool around and take gyms from their cars late at night. I've seen 'em doin it.

If it's not something you want to use stardust to max out, just look into move set and cp. save your stardust for high iv snorlax, Lapras, vaporeon, dragonite.

I've found having a lot of opposing gyms in your area can actually earn you a nice chunk of exp if you try to take them down, even more with a lucky egg running. Even easier with a friend on the same team. I actually wish there were less Valor gyms (my team) in my area of town and more enemy gyms since I basically see them as exp farms now. Feels like the fastest way to earn exp next to hatching eggs on a Lucky Egg. Defeating 3 pokemon alone nets you 350 exp, 700 with a lucky egg, whether it's just you or multiple people.

My gf and I were gunning down gyms at Disneyland. We were happy to let other teams have them when they went blank, just so we can take it down immediately and earn extra points. It was actually really lucrative until the gym-lockout glitch hit us :/

hohoXD123

How does the new nearby tracking work? I notice that the order of the nearby Pokemon changes when I walk in certain direction but the order of the three Pokemon at the bottom right and in the full list are different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom