• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

How does the new nearby tracking work? I notice that the order of the nearby Pokemon changes when I walk in certain direction but the order of the three Pokemon at the bottom right and in the full list are different
It gets cluttered as soon as you keep moving. I was tracking a Magmar and compared it with Pokémon Nearby io (when it worked and was modified to function like the first in-game version did) to compare the differences. And while io indicated that I was getting closer, the in-game tracker said I was moving further away (likely because it was just populating the list but not organizing by distance relative to me). Turns out io was right and the in-game tracker wasn't.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So just got to level 6 and I was wondering: Should I keep repeated Pokemons with low CPs to use them as cannon fodder against Gyms, or should I just transfer them to Willow for the respective ball and build a strong but small lineup with rising CP?

eek5

How does the new nearby tracking work? I notice that the order of the nearby Pokemon changes when I walk in certain direction but the order of the three Pokemon at the bottom right and in the full list are different

list is just random

also pokemon don't really fall off it unless you restart so old nearby stuff will be mixed into the list as well

the only way to use it is to walk around and keep restarting the app to refresh nearby. with 1 or 2 extra people you can all kind of triangulate where pokemon is by splitting up and restarting the app while moving around lol

mugwhump

hLBmopq.png

mugwhump

So this is interesting. Apparently they've figured out why some stops sometimes give you a load more items. Basically if your 10 most recent stops are all different and you visited them within the last 30 minutes, the 10th stop will give you twice as many items and an egg. Noticed it happen to me today when I made a big circuit of pokestops.

This seems like the kind of thing that will accidentally ban legit players too. How are they going to tell?

Heuristics. But it should be easy in brazil's case, since those players all got their high-level pokemon outside of brazil and then teleported in (and probably teleported back out afterwards).

zulux21

This seems like the kind of thing that will accidentally ban legit players too. How are they going to tell?

I imagine that people who are spoofing only a little will be fine. if however you jump around a lot you will get hit.

the only people I figure might accidentally get banned would be someone who is literally traveling great distances all the time.

So this is interesting. Apparently they've figured out why some stops sometimes give you a load more items. Basically if your 10 most recent stops are all different and you visited them within the last 30 minutes, the 10th stop will give you twice as many items and an egg. Noticed it happen to me today when I made a big circuit of pokestops.

Heuristics. But it should be easy in brazil's case, since those players all got their high-level pokemon outside of brazil and then teleported in (and probably teleported back out afterwards).

bleh... with most of the pokestops in my town being removed I only have 4 that are easily reachable anymore so getting 10 unique stops would be hard.

likely just much better off hitting those same 4 stops in a 5 minute cycle.

it's not like getting eggs is hard like every third stop gives you one anyways if you don't have full eggs.

dity

Oh cool, so basically it's a little bonus for getting out and walking/driving a lot. Cool!

zulux21

I don't care how much Niantic messes up, as long as one day I can catch a Mewtwo I will be happy.

you will be able to by hitting the nintendo world store 2 hours after it is announced mewtwo will be there,

he will only spawn there for 15 minutes though so you better make sure you are there at the right time or else you never will.

Note: they haven't said anything about how legendaries will work, that is just how i am expecting it to work.

I am more hoping that we will get something like a special event month that you have a small chance of getting a 20KM egg that has a lengendary in it as that way I have a chance to get it. I am fully expecting to need to drive hours to get one if I want one though.

Literally every single gym in my home town is a level 7-9 valour gym controlled by the same people, like 5 or 6 of them.

Why does everyone pick valour? Eurgh.

I don't think anyone can be bothered trying to take the gyms because it would take ages, the rewards are crap and not worth it and they would just be immediately taken back.

I should have realised when picking my team that Valour would win out, since it's the red one.

Overall it seems Mystic is actually the most chosen team.

Poké Advisor backs it up too, as of their 522,302 users, 214,775 (41%) are Mystic, versus 180,370 (35%) for Valor and 127,157 (24%) for Instinct.

zulux21

there are places where a lot of pokestops are close to each other.

yeah the same places that already have much better spawn rates for pokemon, where people place much more lures, ect.

they really don't need more benefits to screw over people who don't live in big cities.

I mean would it be that horrible if I was just as likely to find a pokemon in tall grass as I was to find one in a big city?

Geneijin

LInkash

Neo Member

Poké Advisor backs it up too, as of their 522,302 users, 214,775 (41%) are Mystic, versus 180,370 (35%) for Valor and 127,157 (24%) for Instinct.

Research has shown that people who pick red are most competitive so perhaps that is why more gyms are valour even though Mystic is picked more.

Look at all these pokestops

And this is where i work, much bigger city from where i live

Im sorry, there is a small park by my house with 3 poke stops and a big park some 4 blocks away with 13 or so pokestops.

Between those parks there are churchs with pokestops too.

There is nothing were I work tho, so I feel your pain.

T.O.P

Banned
All location-based game things are a fuck you to rural areas, really.

But it would be so damn easy to fix this, just measure the quantity of objects a poke stops drops whether it's 50/100/500m to the next one

If i have to bike for 2-3km before seeing a poke stop it would be fantastic to be rewarded for that

Only choice i have if i want to restock on balls is to take my car, drive for a good 10km, get to this small bar wich has a poke stop on it and then spend like an entire afternoon spinning at every refresh

Vipu

Banned
10 different stops in row?...
Well its good idea if all cities had equal amount of stops, BUT...

Think I might have 10 total here but that means many many km of walk/biking.
Would be just better to cycle around those few that are semi close for me.

Razmos

I guess it's just personal experiences, most of the people near where I live seem to be valour and most of my friends are too

zulux21

My area is pretty diverse. I'll say the split is pretty even.

my area cycles.

from 3am-11am it's typically yellow gyms everywhere.

from 11am- 6pm or so is typically red gyms.
and from 6pm-3am is typically blue gyms everywhere.

I need to wait and see how things will change with the removal of 80% of the towns pokestops though :p

to be fair I think I still have like 15 stops left through out the entire town (we lost like 60 of them) but they are very far apart. so it is likely that we won't a huge drop off in town, but it's not like I have seen a ton of people playing here anyways.

So this is interesting. Apparently they've figured out why some stops sometimes give you a load more items. Basically if your 10 most recent stops are all different and you visited them within the last 30 minutes, the 10th stop will give you twice as many items and an egg. Noticed it happen to me today when I made a big circuit of Pokestops.
Wow, that's almost exactly on the mark with the estimation I made a short while ago, where seemingly 8 of 9 stops give you jack shit and the 9th one is the "jackpot". Doesn't seem very fair unless you're lucky enough to commute through a downtown area.
Unless you're rural it's perfectly doable.
Finding near that many stops in succession within a 30 minute window is almost impossible for a lot of people unless they're driving around. When I'm on foot, I'll be lucky to run into 6 or 8 spots within that little time. And I'm in LA. Unless I make a point to get downtown, I really wouldn't be able to take advantage of that bonus.

They need to either make the bonus random to level the playing field or set some other parameter as a bonus net, like the more walking you do before reaching a stop, the more reward you receive. A reward tied to distance would be like like gold to those in sparser areas, so when they finally reach a stop, they are garanteed 8 items or more. This would also balance it for those in bigger cities that can reach many stops in short time, and would get less items for walking less between stops.

Should we really be okay with Niantic shunning players in rural areas just because other games do it too?

Chopper

This game has been a huge "fuck you" to rural player since D1, no surprise there
Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the world of Pokemon. It's daft that I can walk for hours in fields and woodland and never have a single encounter. That's where most Pokemon live!

Also, how are pokecentres not a thing? Why can't I pop along to my local McDonalds or whatever and heal my Pokemon?

zulux21

Do you guys think they will ever implement 1v1 battles amongst your friends or random people?

if they do they better include an auto decline dual like most mmos have because I want nothing to do with that.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the world of Pokemon. It's daft that I can walk for hours in fields and woodland and never have a single encounter. That's where most Pokemon live!

Also, how are pokecentres not a thing? Why can't I pop along to my local McDonalds or whatever and heal my Pokemon?

that is likely exactly what we will see.

we know mcdonalds has a planned promotion, pokecenters make to much sense.

though I wouldn't be surprised if we got pokeshops too where you could buy rarer items like great and ultra balls.

What's going on with bonus EXP at the moment? Just caught a Rattata and got 100EXP and 100EXP extra marked as "bonus" but I'm not sure why. My throw wasn't labelled as excellent or anything.

I thought it was totally broken at the moment so no idea where it came from.

Toki767

What's going on with bonus EXP at the moment? Just caught a Rattata and got 100EXP and 100EXP extra marked as "bonus" but I'm not sure why. My throw wasn't labelled as excellent or anything.

You get 100 EXP for every 100th catch of the same pokemon.

They should make something like a poke-tent or booth that players can plant anywhere on the map. For one hour it will act as a temporary pokestop for people that go near and give out items. Might help those out in far places. Make it a sort of rare item, or something you can only plant once a day. Once you use it, a 24 hour timer starts before you can plant a poke-tent again so it's not abused.

HolyJonte

You will get a bonus xp for each 100 you caught of one pokémon.

dity

Finding near that many stops in succession within a 30 minute window is almost impossible for a lot of people unless they're driving around. When I'm on foot, I'll be lucky to run into 6 or 8 spots within that little time. And I'm in LA. Unless I make a point to get downtown, I really wouldn't be able to take advantage of that bonus.

They need to either make the bonus random to level the playing field or set some other parameter as a bonus net, like the more walking you do before reaching a stop, the more reward you receive. A reward tied to distance would be like like gold to those in sparser areas, so when they finally reach a stop, they are garanteed 8 items or more. This would also balance it for those in bigger cities that can reach many stops in short time, and would get less items for walking less between stops.

Should we really be okay with Niantic shunning players in rural areas just because other games do it too?

It's not "almost impossible". lol. I usually get it when I walk along the harbour. Lots of historical stuff from WWII there, old well known cafes/take-aways and the such.

Oh, and your Pokestops and Gyms are entirely dependant on how popular Ingress was where you live. It has jack all to do with Niantic specifically. Plus it'll probably take a very long time for a team of 30 to get through Pokestop requests from 5+ million players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom