• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to read up because I've been transferring pokemon out of my stash for 1 candy like a madman could have missed good shit

Shit...I've been doing the same thing. Not sure what I've missed out on already...

So I only started playing this game about a week ago, and I haven't played like crazy, but I've done some traveling around pokestops. So far I'm level 10, and this is my stronger group. How am I doin' so far? ^_^

UzbOpCz.png

GulAtiCa

My brand new 95% IV Gyarados! Would these be considered good move set? I heard having Twister is a disappointment, but I luckily don't have that.

And my new Top 12!

I evolved 3 new Eevees, those 2 Flareons are among them, plus that 2nd Vaporeon.

I'm getting close to having a Vileplume soon & a Victreebel too, as I really need something to take on higher level Water pokemon.

Oh... My new Rapidash has no fire attacks. Just a Fighting & nice Ground attack. Kinda blah, but on plus side makes dealing with mid 1000s Lightning pokemon.

Holy crap, how can anyone hold on to a gym longer for a day, let alone an hour? I battled a gym off and on for 30 minutes while at a fast food place. The longest time one of my Pokémon stayed in the gym was 5 minutes. Blah.

GPS errors haven't been too bad for me since the first day after the update, but I still get occasional errors, especially when indoors at public places.

On a tracker a few weeks ago, I spotted a Jynx at a trailer park. Funniest location/Pokémon combo for me found so far.

The key to holding onto gyms is finding ones that don't see much foot traffic, especially if it's not as simple as pulling Over from a main road. I live close to a small wildlife and fishing area where there are boardwalks to gyms and some that are practically in the woods that you can't even see from the main roads. I've been able to stay above 5 gyms from those and I don't even have a Pokemon on a few of them.

Also, if you can get to where yo have a handful of "hidden" gyms, then you can just try to take a few gyms quickly and claim your rewards and not worry about holding the ones that are hotly contested.

Toki767

Finally have enough Squirtle candy to go from a Squirtle to a Blastoise.

Kind of waiting to hatch a Squirtle from an egg first though. It'll probably take a while since I always get 5km eggs. :(

GulAtiCa

Yep, holding onto a gym that is slightly more difficult to get to or so is key. But I like that they don't hold that long, makes it good since means other team's gyms are easier to take over.

There is a Church sign on my way to work that I mentioned before (one that says they welcome Pokemon GO players) that is a gym. It's easy to get to, but you kinda need to park in a nearby neighborhood and walk over to the sign next to traffic in the heat. It's been at a 9+ Gym level for weeks now. Luckily for my team Blue. Last Friday I boosted it up to lv 10, which took me like 30 minutes... lol. But got my Pokemon in it and enjoyed constant source of coins from that 1 gym for last 8 days now.

Only downside is this was before my more recent wave of top Pokemon. So only my 974 Starmie was used for it. So I'm now in the bottom 2 of that gym. So eventually... I will be knocked out as it occasionally goes up and down. But, at least if I ever get knocked out, I can prob boost it up again and put a much strong pokemon in.

Quazar

Basically this means sites like Pokevision might come back, which means more traffic hitting the servers.

Get ready for servers crashing again

Man these third party sites :/

Anyone have ideas on how long until we can start using again?

Also, what site is best to gauge type IV?

AdanVC

Hyped for this. We shouldn't since this kind of things are going to make servers explode again but what else we can do when there's nothing left for tracking Pokémon? : /

Vulpix, the bone one, and a pikachu all near, walked around for ages... grrr didnt find any!!

LMAO a Cubone?? I must rename the one I have like that hahah.

Basically this means sites like Pokevision might come back, which means more traffic hitting the servers.

But the most severe server issues were prominent before scanners were popular. At the time they were all blocked, servers had general been quite solid even with constant scanner usage. Also, Niantic has significantly cut down the frequency map updates can be received as well, including a halving that happened right at the time the API changed to block scanners, so there's only so much "damage" scanners can do.

And of course, this is still more on Niantic on anyone, because of course there's going to be a huge demand for scanners while the in-game tracker continues to be unusable. Niantic wants to cut down? Stop wasting time plugging holes by constantly reworking the API and actually fix the source of the problem itself.

Not sure if there are any Belgium Gaffers here, but this is what our Zoo in Antwerp looked like last Friday. Absolutely crazy. About 10 000 ~ 15 000 people were hunting Pokémons.

However due to the amount of people present, actually playing the game was a very difficult task....

Gaspard

But the most severe server issues were prominent before scanners were popular. At the time they were all blocked, servers had general been quite solid even with constant scanner usage. Also, Niantic has significantly cut down the frequency map updates can be received as well, including a halving that happened right at the time the API changed to block scanners, so there's only so much "damage" scanners can do.

And of course, this is still more on Niantic on anyone, because of course there's going to be a huge demand for scanners while the in-game tracker continues to be unusable. Niantic wants to cut down? Stop wasting time plugging holes by constantly reworking the API and actually fix the source of the problem itself.

There's really no way to tell if trackers would have made the servers as bad as when the dozens of European countries added basically stopped the servers for days back in mid-July.

But the smooth addition of all of Latin America and most of Asia proves something is going right with the servers right now.

So I finally evolved a 93.3% IV Gengar w/ Shadow Claw and Sludge Wave. Is he worth dumping stardust into? I've seen conflicting lists about his best moveset. One says Sludge Wave and the other says Dark Pulse.

Saya

Why aren't you just transferring them? I can't think of a good reason to have over 240 Pokémon, even if you wanted to have one of every type you'd still have about 100 slots available at the moment, which is more than enough to keep Pidgeys in if you're spamming them to level up or keeping some extra-powerful gym Pokémon or whatever. Why do you have so many?

As for items, does every upgrade cost the same amount of coins, or will the second cost more than the first, etc?

I am transferring them, but I only do that when I get home. So I just fill up my bag when I'm outside. And organize it later on.

krae_man

I ran some errands today and walked about 20km in parts of town I haven't been yet and I saw 1 silhouette of a Pokemon I hadn't captured yet, and it was a block away from my house when I was almost home. It was Dewgong and I couldn't find it.

I did get a Magmar out of a 10km egg so it wasn't a total loss. I did also encounter some Pokemon that were less common where I normally venture and got some candy which will be useful but that's about it.

I'm at 71 Pokemon and I have maybe 6-7 evolutions I can do with more candy but nothing else.

If the tracking isn't improved and/or encountering the ones I'm missing doesn't become more common, I'll probably cut back my playing to hatching eggs when I walk and only try catching new critters if I travel.

dity

Two new countries were added recently and lo and behold, it resulted in no server issues. Everyone was expecting it but it never came. Why? Because there was also no trackers.

Besides, prepare for all those days of decryption to be for nothing.

Wasn't expecting the Pokemon variety when I was at the beach today, but got a Ponyta and Wartortle that popped up next to my spot.
Even hit about 20 or so pokestops in a row.

I used an incense today while on the bus and it's crazy how many pokemon spawned. Not many rare pokes, the rarest I got was two Pinsirs and a Pidgeot but at least I didn't just get Pidgey/Rattata crap. Got some Poliwags, Staryus, Exxegcutes, Horseas, etc.

I had a much better time than using Lures. Those generally give me just Pidgeys, Zubats and Weedles.

So the unknown stuff are GPS parameters declination g sensors etc, which means basically having to fake it, which I do believe will mean at least looking at one account, it will be crystal clear the sensor info is being synthesized.
The trackers use 100s and 1000s of accounts to scan any particular area and therefore any one account used by the tracker is not going to be synthesizing correct sensor info from one request to the next: if only because it cannot ever walk from one spot to a new spot that needs a scan. The queue of scan requests are all over the launch countries after all.

Whether Niantic will actually soft or hard ban accounts that are producing stupid sensor info is up to them, might be sooner depending on how pissed off they are that their encrypted block of info got reversed. They should do it in waves to cause maximum impact. Tag accounts for a period, then mass ban after the trackers think they are comfortably anonymous.
Of course they will have to make it harder for a dumb script to create 1000 new accounts in a day, first.

Poona

Scanners should be back soon! Yay!

Great. Maybe can actually try playing the game again. Though I hope they can bring some of the pokemon closer when they have been found (some I'm still having trouble getting my pokeballs to reach), ad fix the catch rate instead of constant escapes.

shandy706

So I finally evolved a 93.3% IV Gengar w/ Shadow Claw and Sludge Wave. Is he worth dumping stardust into? I've seen conflicting lists about his best moveset. One says Sludge Wave and the other says Dark Pulse.

Ok, I could probably dig through thousands of posts and find an answer, but no luck yet.

Could someone please point me to a calculator, or site, or themselves explain HOW I know a Pokémon's "IV"??? Also, what does it mean...what should I do with it?

I need it explained or guided in the truest form of a noob that knows nothing at all about it.

Googled it and sites/results i found just skimmed over it. They were no help.

Windforce

I'm running out of Pokéballs. :eek:

When I started I had like 50.

I thought getting them would be trivial, but now I have only 6. Latest Pokéstop I used rewarded me with 3 balls only.

Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom