• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipu

Banned
Everyone who says pokemons run away easily etc.
"I used ultra ball and berry but it ran way"

But no one ever says did they throw norma, nice, good, excellent throw.

In my experience that have most meaning to get anything.
If you use ultra and berry it barely means anything if you get normal throw.

Thats my experience at least.

HardRojo

Just found a Chansey while shopping in the market with my mom since we're having a small grill party later today. Also found a possible Eevee nest.

adamy

Banned

Ditto

I have no issues consistently catching high cp Pokemon using regular balls + berries

This is why I have like 200 great balls and well over 100 ultra balls...More often than not they're overkill

BlakeofT

I just evolved a Gyrados with fucking Twister

Should i even bother lvling it or try again?
Twister is a terrible move. But it does have one good quality. I find that when I'm fighting and the opponent has 1 hp, normal attacks just won't finish the battle. I almost always have to use a special to win a fight. Thus, twister comes in handy because one use doesn't take forever to fill up.

Same thing happened to me though and I'm going to try again instead of powering it up.

But getting those bonuses seem VERY random, is it the size of the circle or hitting them directly in the head?

zroid

Banned
But getting those bonuses seem VERY random, is it the size of the circle or hitting them directly in the head?
I think it's always the circle, you're awarded the bonus for hitting the pokémon inside the circle. the type of bonus is determined by the size of the circle when you throw it.

BowieZ

Banned
Twister is a terrible move. But it does have one good quality. I find that when I'm fighting and the opponent has 1 hp, normal attacks just won't finish the battle. I almost always have to use a special to win a fight. Thus, twister comes in handy because one use doesn't take forever to fill up.

Same thing happened to me though and I'm going to try again instead of powering it up.
Wait, is 1hp not dying a deliberate mechanic? I fucking hate it so much.

I think it's always the circle, you're awarded the bonus for hitting the pokémon inside the circle. the type of bonus is determined by the size of the circle when you throw it.

snXO35R.jpg

Oh so THATS how the mechanic works!

Lol the game could be clearer about it, but I guess learning from others is part of the experience.

Oxn

Yea ill try again im up to 60 candies now

zroid

Banned
I've been seeing a lot of Geodudes spawn near my house over the last couple days, and before now they were pretty rare, only seen like one previously. Wonder if spawn rates have been shuffled around a bit?

ta9qi

while driving saw a strange shadow nearby, stopped my car start my searching..it was Dragonite with (???) CP...after some tries and wasted ultra balls he escaped :(
will this area be his spawn area in the future (at specific day/time) or its random always ?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just got my first Arcanine and Starmie after a short walk around the block.

I was at the office and saw both silhouettes, used the nearby site so I didn't run like a headless chicken again for nothing because I had no idea how many minutes ago they spawned (tried to triangulate a Charmander by myself in the same area yesterday and it eventually disappeared).

I'm wary of using third-party sites due to server side stuff like the same IP making too many queries or whatever, but fuck it, I'm in the middle of the goddamn Zubatcave and I didn't want to miss the chance. The new nearby will definitely help alleviate things, but until then...

HardRojo

I'm running around this town like a madman lol, using my mom's phone as a wifi Hotspot since her signal is a lot better than mine, already found more Eevees, Hitmonchan and a Chansey, will be on the lookout for more.

Didn't the data mine reveal that the type of throw affects nothing? Or have they since changed it?
Ditto

I have no issues consistently catching high cp Pokemon using regular balls + berries

This is why I have like 200 great balls and well over 100 ultra balls...More often than not they're overkill
I wish I had your experience. I don't know how many middling/weak level commons I've had with a berry, and a normal ball, escape after an Excellent! throw. I get doubly pissed, since now that the EXP bonus is back, I lose out on double the points too.

I'll give them credit where credit is due in refining and fixing the throwing finally, and returning the bonuses and allowing them to stack. But the Catch rate has remained the same if not worse in some cases with more Pokemon escaping after the first throw and breakout. Often times, 'great'/excellent' throws too.

adamy

Banned
I've noticed that Pokemon that are great for lucky egg power leveling/mass evolving have been much, much harder to catch. Pidgeys, weedles, catterpie are all much harder to catch than eevees, growlithes, etc.

They're really the only ones that give me trouble

Wouldn't b surprised if this was intentional to make power leveling more difficult

I've been seeing a lot of Geodudes spawn near my house over the last couple days, and before now they were pretty rare, only seen like one previously. Wonder if spawn rates have been shuffled around a bit?

I think it's based on the city geography and possibly the names of pokestops nearby.

my nearby pokemon were all water Pokémon

Screenshot_20160811_094938.png

even though it is East LA... this was the nearby pokestop

Screenshot_20160811_095250.png

so I'm thinking they are related to Google maps and Google keywords on the stop names. I'm gonna go for a run and hope things with "medical" or "hospital" pokestops give more potions.

edit: even the lure brought out Poliwag, magikarp and Goldeens.

adamy

Banned
I think it's based on the city geography and possibly the names of pokestops nearby.

my nearby pokemon were all water Pokémon

Screenshot_20160811_094938.png

even though it is East LA... this was the nearby pokestop

Screenshot_20160811_095250.png

so I'm thinking they are related to Google maps and Google keywords on the stop names. I'm gonna go for a run and hope things with "medical" or "hospital" pokestops give more potions.

edit: even the lure brought out Poliwag, magikarp and Goldeens.

Doubt you'll have luck effecting items from the stops but the rest of what you said def has some truth to it

If I drop a lure on a fountain in LA I'll usually get water Pokemon...from a fountain, in the middle of the city

Koren

The main issue I have with the game is that the encounter rate is only decent in crowded places. I can understand Pokéstops being in the cities, but I think you should be able to find plently of pokémons when walking in the wild, trekking, etc.

HardRojo

Man I'm loving this nearby tracker, I'm running around this town like a madman, people are probably thinking I'm crazy but fuck it, I leave tomorrow anyway, might as well catch all the Pokémon I hardly find back in the city.

Chaos17

The main issue I have with the game is that the encounter rate is only decent in crowded places. I can understand Pokéstops being in the cities, but I think you should be able to find plently of pokémons when walking in the wild, trekking, etc.

Technology limitation based on number of cell phone activity (from different Ingress players)
That's why I dislike that Niantic didn't prolerly developpement a game mechanic for Pokemon go instead of making a "copy paste" from Ingress.

Here's a an example how Ingress does influence Pokemon Go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...ding_upon_the_correlation_between_pokémon_go/

Which is the reason why I will never stop people lashing out on Niantic, they've the money to do better than Ingress.

Falawful

Spotted a Gengar in the wild today, used the tracker from here to pinpoint it, got close to its position...

And my GPS ceases to function for roughly ten minutes. Comes back online, he's gone.

I don't know who to blame, but that was a bit aggravating 🙃

eek5

Technology limitation based on number of cell phone activity (from different Ingress players)
That's why I dislike that Niantic didn't prolerly developpement a game mechanic for Pokemon go instead of making a "copy paste" from Ingress.

Here's a an example how Ingress does influence Pokemon Go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...ding_upon_the_correlation_between_pokémon_go/

Which is the reason why I will never stop people lashing out on Niantic, they've the money to do better than Ingress.

None of that stuff in the reddit thread is true. I can't believe people bought that shit so easily. I tracked spawns for like 1.5 wks in an area with a scraper and they didn't change day-to-day or week-to-week. All the spawns I saw 3 weeks ago are the same ones I'm seeing now. Same locations, same time-to-spawn on the hr, same spawn interval.

Chessr

In my town if i cast a lure on a stop at a harbor right next to the water. The only pokemons i get is voltorbs and magnemite and not a single water mon.

Spotted a Gengar in the wild today, used the tracker from here to pinpoint it, got close to its position...

And my GPS ceases to function for roughly ten minutes. Comes back online, he's gone.

I don't know who to blame, but that was a bit aggravating 🙃

If it makes you feel any better, my wife and I both caught the same Gengar last week. She's level 11 and her's was CP 170, I'm level 20 and mine was CP 395. The ring was red and it took me 14 Ultra Balls, though I do admit I straight up missed a few times. It's nice to have a Gengar in my roster but he's basically useless

GeoGonzo

I now have a Vaporeon with 100% IV, an Arcanine with 100% IV and after a week of vacation at the coast... a 100% IV Gyarados.

But all three evolved into the worst possible movesets and are pretty much worthless. Sad stuff.

Naaa. Got some curve + good throw + great ball with few common 100-300 CP Pokémon, and they fled away right after one shake. Something is definitely fishy here.

Aaaaaand we're back to everything breaking out and running away. Oh well, it was a good few days, at least.

They never fixed it.

rpmurphy

No, I really don't think you can. I've hatched close to 500 eggs, and two of my friends have hatched a little over 500 themselves. None of us ever hatched a region locked Pokemon.

Another friend of mine hatched far less and claimed to have hatched the region locked. After poking and prodding him for details he finally remembered he let a friend in Japan use his account , ect. Long story short everyone who claims you can get region locked from eggs has a bad memory or whatever.
I've hatched a Tauros from an egg, but it's my region.

L Thammy

Had to go to a city I don't normally visit this morning. Not a single Pokemon showed up when I was there, I didn't see any Pokestops, and my eggs aren't any closer to hatching even though traffic was painfully slow. Still had to deal with "you're going too fast" messages when I we to a coffee shop at lunch though.

I get the feeling that there was some connectivity issue and I should have restarted the app, but it's too late now anyway.

Also, a Squirtle ate ten of my Ultra Balls yesterday. My life is in ruins.

Blizzard

Banned

Great throws also escape/run away sometimes. Maybe it's less often?

Joni

I think the problematic with running is more related to the fact that a 200 CP Caterpie is probably higher level than a 500 CP Drowzee for instance. You would expect the latter to break out, not the former.

HardRojo

And that's another Charmander that runs away from me at first breakout. I've encountered about 14 Charmanders so far, 8 of them escaped and probably 6 out of those 8 escaped after the first breakout. That has to be bullshit right?

Are they ever going to fix the bug where wild-caught pokemon have attack IVs tied to their pokedex number? It's annoying having to rely on eggs in order to get usable pokemon of certain species.

adamy

Banned
None of that stuff in the reddit thread is true. I can't believe people bought that shit so easily. I tracked spawns for like 1.5 wks in an area with a scraper and they didn't change day-to-day or week-to-week. All the spawns I saw 3 weeks ago are the same ones I'm seeing now. Same locations, same time-to-spawn on the hr, same spawn interval.

I don't get how a dragonite spawned in my office only once since release if what you say is true about spawn intervals and locations

Been playing since day 1 and I'm in my office 5 days a week

Vipu

Banned
Great throws also escape/run away sometimes. Maybe it's less often?

Ofcourse, but yes less.
If I get normal throws on some pokemon it have really high chance to get out just like everyone is crying its "bug" that they escape.
But if I hit great throw it have pretty good chance to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom