• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the craziest place anyone has seen Pokemon Go happening?

Last night I hiked to the top of Mt. Timpanogos (Utah, elevation 11,752 feet). The easiest way to get up there is a 7.2 mile hike with 4500 feet of elevation gain. Hike took from 12:30 am to 5:30 am. While waiting for the sunrise, a few other groups showed up at the top, and believe it or not at least 5-6 people pulled out their phone at one point to see if it was a PokeStop. Even more unbelievable...it was. I don't think anyone caught anything but some people were able to get stuff despite connection being a slight issue up there. This game is crazy!

pLow7

What's the craziest place anyone has seen Pokemon Go happening?

Last night I hiked to the top of Mt. Timpanogos (Utah, elevation 11,752 feet). The easiest way to get up there is a 7.2 mile hike with 4500 feet of elevation gain. Hike took from 12:30 am to 5:30 am. While waiting for the sunrise, a few other groups showed up at the top, and believe it or not at least 5-6 people pulled out their phone at one point to see if it was a PokeStop. Even more unbelievable...it was. I don't think anyone caught anything but some people were able to get stuff despite connection being a slight issue up there. This game is crazy!

Yeah that Praise should go to all the Ingress users who basically "created" all the PokeStops.
If Ingress didn't happen Pokemon go would be a looot slower and deserted.

GulAtiCa

3 of my eggs just hatched: Meowth (I didn't have that one), Nidoran and Shellder. What the hell lol. I'm having real bad luck with the eggs.

lol, I'd consider those very good egg hatches. All 3 are really uncommon in my area.

I hatched 5 2k eggs since Friday. 3 were Magikarp and 2 from today Pidgey... Oh well, at least the Magikarps gets me closer to evolving it and the Pidgey allow me to do some mass evolves to level up again soon.

PSFan

At higher levels the Pokemon tend to escape from the balls more often. Also, more items are added to the possible drops at PokeStops, so you get less balls and more potions and fruit. But there are also rarer Pokemon that appear at higher levels and the max CP of wild Pokemon go up as well.

That sounds like a load of crap. How can rarer Pokemon show at higher levels? What about pokestops? Suppose a level 20 pops a lure. Will he see Pokemon that other lower level players won't see? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Raven77

So i've literally played this game for a total of 25 minutes while at a park this weekend. While wandering I caught a Dratini. I've played every Poke main entry game ever released and I'm aware of how rare / powerful Dratini / Dragonite can be. Is Dratini pretty rare in this game and did I just get lucky? Everyone I work with is pissed off at me now.

Went out to the Anthem Park event where spots mostly along the street were lured. While I did get doubles of Pidgeys, Sandshrew, Geodude, Growlithe, and even Eevee, new catches are Zubat, Dodrio, Cubone, Rhyhorn, and Omanyte. Wasn't able to hatch the 5 km eggs I had, but I did cover some 2.4 km during the trip. Photos:

13709803_1262647440414430_1878263614655348554_n.jpg

13690755_1262647620414412_6173771386489034719_n.jpg

13775446_1262647583747749_3562431595824860552_n.jpg

13770372_1262647747081066_29236738710243361_n.jpg

13770402_1262647517081089_1934869568223437873_n.jpg

13769627_1262647570414417_5067631296529459271_n.jpg

13775625_1262647687081072_2476811653782575929_n.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Gonna pop an incense when I work. Bet one of two things happen

1. Fucks up. Nothing appears.

2. All fucking pidgeys

I see. Thanks.
So I guess the idea is to keep only the strongest Pokemon for each kind and discard all weaker ones for candy, then evolve it if possible, or catch more of them if I'm still missing candy and again discard all but the strongest one, until I'm finally able to evolve the remaining one?

For the most part, yes. However, with Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Rattata, and other Pokemon that are common, cheap to evolve, and not particularly strong enough to warrant investing huge amounts of candy into powering them up, it's best to evolve them to the second stage before transferring them, as you get 500XP per evolution. Even better is to amass loads of them and then use a Lucky Egg before doing so. Then you get 1000XP for each.

Gonna pop an incense when I work. Bet one of two things happen

1. Fucks up. Nothing appears.

2. All fucking pidgeys

Pidgey's are the best way of levelling up. See above.

used up an incense and lucky egg at the park today (lots and lots of pokestops w/ lures) and of course the fucking game crashed and I couldn't log back in until they were both long gone.

Goddamnit.

Which is why I'm not playing it anymore until Niantic gets their shit together.

I really want to like this game. I had a blast when it was released in the US. But since then I've had nothing but issues. The three step glitch means I can't find any rare pokemon that appear on the near by list (I shouldn't have to open Ingress just to locate a XM pool where the pokemon might be located). The game freezes almost every single time I catch a pokemon, so I have to restart the app constantly. I also couldn't use battery saver mode because it too would also freeze the game. pokestops sometimes never load, and occasionally they will randomly turn purple while I never get any items. Then there is the issue with the game not calculating distances correctly (I've had to walk around 3 miles for a 2km egg to hatch).
I haven't used any lures or lucky eggs because I'm afraid of running into login issues again.

Again, the ones you pick at the start are all incredibly weak. You'd be better finding one in the wild or an egg for a higher CP: the one you start with is basically your first candy fodder for that type :p

People have been saying that the CP of an egg is based on when you were given it rather than when you hatch them, so it doesn't look like it's worth holding out on it :eek:

From what i heard, the eggs "level" is comparative to the level you are when you get it. So waiting to hatch an egg probably doesn't matter (if what I heard is correct)

edit: beaten.

It's about doing it at the right time. My strongest pokemon is less than 600 cp and I'm level 12 or 13. Still managed to capture a few gyms.

Often when people capture it, they will put a weak pokemon so they can take their strong one to another gym. That's the point where you capture !

Thanks for the input guys,

Hey gaf!

N00b trainer here. I'm just lvl 11 and I bought some extra lucky eggs.
My mates say I should wait till I have 40ish Pokemon that i can evolve before popping one.
What do you think?
Thinking about going to a park and setting a lure and evolving the 12 pokemons I have atm with the lucky egg.
I mean it will take me days to get enough candies for 40 pokemons :S

LordOfChaos

Really wish this used the last few iPhones motion coprocessor to continuously monitor movement. Keeping the app open for walks is a non-starter for battery life, and the battery saver mode that dims the screen only does so much on a traditional LCD, not like an OLED that can turn the pixels off completely.

Hey gaf!

N00b trainer here. I'm just lvl 11 and I bought some extra lucky eggs.
My mates say I should wait till I have 40ish Pokemon that i can evolve before popping one.
What do you think?
Thinking about going to a park and setting a lure and evolving the 12 pokemons I have atm with the lucky egg.
I mean it will take me days to get enough candies for 40 pokemons :S
Generally it seems the 'optimal' way to use a lucky egg is to spend the 30 minutes evolving the most plentiful and low cost pokemon you can find enmasse. I believe 60 pidgies (requiring 661 candies) takes the full 30 minutes the lucky egg lasts and is a common optimal route. For fun someone actually made a calculator so you can work it out XD
http://www.pidgeycalc.com/

edit: just in case it's not clear why this works: you get 500xp whenever you evolve any pokemon regardless of what it is or what stage. This is one of the highest reliable, renewable sources of XP you can get that can be spammed in a 30 minute interval. Due to it not mattering what you evolve, it's best to use the ones you find most easily and cost the least candies to evolve.

Hatched 2 10km eggs. One was Electabuzz (yay) and the other...Eevee, but it gave me enough candy to evolve it and now I have a beautiful Vaporeon, who is also the strongest pokemon I currently have so I'm not even mad.

Ambitious

For the most part, yes. However, with Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Rattata, and other Pokemon that are common, cheap to evolve, and not particularly strong enough to warrant investing huge amounts of candy into powering them up, it's best to evolve them to the second stage before transferring them, as you get 500XP per evolution. Even better is to amass loads of them and then use a Lucky Egg before doing so. Then you get 1000XP for each.

Pidgey's are the best way of levelling up. See above.

I'm not sure if I follow. So first I should try to catch a big bunch of Pidgeys/etc, then I should evolve as many as possible and finally send all Pidgeottos except for the strongest one? And then rinse and repeat with the remaining, unevolved Pidgeys?

adamy

Banned
I'm not sure if I follow. So first I should try to catch a big bunch of Pidgeys/etc, then I should evolve as many as possible and finally send all Pidgeottos except for the strongest one? And then rinse and repeat with the remaining, unevolved Pidgeys?

It's actually very simple

Pop a lucky egg and evolve as many Pokemon as possible in 30 mins

Hoarding candies prior to this obviously helps

farming will be peoples jobs if they ever allow users to trade with each other
someone I know said they would have paid $10 for the snorlax I hatched from a 10 KM egg lol

people about to get paid $$$$$$ if they ever patch that in

yeah, collect a bunch of pidgeys and pidgey candy. once you've got a whole bunch, pop a lucky egg for double xp and then just evolve all of your pidgeys. rattata or any common low level pokemon will work for this as well

I work on a college campus and had been on vacation since this came out but I'm back at work today...

...THERE ARE POKESTOPS EVERYWHERE on campus, including two that I'm at while I sit at my desk. There are like four gyms, too, and three will be MINE by the end of the day.

HUZZAH!

Edit: I also have shit service in here so my character keeps walking back and forth. I don't even have to move anymore to hatch eggs.

That sounds like a load of crap. How can rarer Pokemon show at higher levels? What about pokestops? Suppose a level 20 pops a lure. Will he see Pokemon that other lower level players won't see? Doesn't make much sense to me.
It might just be coincidence, but I swear that for me certain Pokemon only started appearing regularly once I leveled up. An area that had a ton of Rattata and Pidgey at level 1 now also has Weedle, Caterpie, Spearow, and Koffing at level 15. I could be wrong, though. That was just my own personal experience.

adamy

Banned
It might just be coincidence, but I swear that for me certain Pokemon only started appearing regularly once I leveled up. An area that had a ton of Rattata and Pidgey at level 1 now also has Weedle, Caterpie, Spearow, and Koffing at level 15. I could be wrong, though. That was just my own personal experience.

I don't think level effects what Pokemon you see

I'm level 22 and my wife only recently turned level 10. Since she was level 1 we saw the exact same Pokemon when taking walks

Pretty much. See my post two above yours for an explanation of what they're talking about in regards to mass pideys and the like :3

edit: note that this is for levelling yourself, if you want to 'optimally' evolve a pokemon instead the best thing to do throw all but the strongest into the grinder for candies and wait until you have enough to evolve it all the way to top stage (else you'll evolve it one stage then probably find a stronger one you could've used before it ever reaches the next one.)
While mass evolving the low ones is good for trainer XP it's not particularly candy efficient so only really do that for ones you're not fussed about and are easy to replensh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom