• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total bullshit that you can get booted during a gym battle because of an "error" and lose all progress, but you get to keep all the damage your Pokemon have taken as a consolation prize.

pokemonnearby has been failing me :[

bulbasaur, omanyte, pinsir, caterpie and weedle on sightings, but it only found a weedle. missed a cubone earlier today too that didn't show up. and an arbok that I captured yesterday didn't appear either.

edit: the cubone actually popped up with 30s to go

How many should you get around your location normally? How many show up on pokemonnearby?
generally if the servers are soft-banning checks then the number returned in a search drops a lot. For example normally I get about 7-12 so if I get just 3, something is up. Right now the average returned per user per scan is hovering around 12.

jotun?

Any tips on getting great/excellent throws against the extreme close-up pokemon like pidgeys, weedles, and rats? I have a hard time doing any motion that actually throws the ball without it just landing on top of their heads.

Awayze

Neo Member
There's one in Greenwich park in London near Blackheath station.
Well that sucks, was hoping there would be something decent around Manchester. For a big city, it sure is neglected, thought there'd be something decent around Etihad or Old Trafford at least.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
How many should you get around your location normally? How many show up on pokemonnearby?
generally if the servers are soft-banning checks then the number returned in a search drops a lot. For example normally I get about 7-12 so if I get just 3, something is up. Right now the average returned per user per scan is hovering around 12.
12 seems about right for when I'm at work. At home it ranges from 10 to 12 I think.

When it only found 1 weedle earlier it was the only thing the scanner picked up (never got a single result before), and there was surely more around. Then later today I was at a sparser area and even though it showed an eevee and venonat on sightings, scanning only picked a caterpie, zubat and horsea farther away.

Hopefully I got unlucky and it was just a hiccup yesterday and today, I mentioned it more in case it was a wider issue. I'm at home now and it seems to be working fine.

krae_man

My day started out kind of crappy. I was at work just replenishing my Pokeballs since I have 2 pokestops in reach of my desk and I notice a Snorlax in my nearby. I open nearby and he's down the street a 1/2 block and I can't leave my desk:(

Then on the way home this guy pops up nearby:

z3fM37w.png

Now I feel less bad about missing out on a Snorlax. I continue walking home and I find something else and I rush over and the jerk appears as far away as possible in combat and has ???'s for CP so I know it's gonna be massive. First ultraball, not even close to far enough thrown, 2-6 still can't for the life of me throw the pokeball far enough, 7th and 8th he headbutts it. 20 Ultraballs later I finally get him in there and he stays down for the count!

7NpamqP.png

Whooo!

12 seems about right for when I'm at work. At home it ranges from 10 to 12 I think.

When it only found 1 weedle earlier it was the only thing the scanner picked up (never got a single result before), and there was surely more around. Then later today I was at a sparser area and even though it showed an eevee and venonat on sightings, scanning only picked a caterpie, zubat and horsea farther away.

Hopefully I got unlucky and it was just a hiccup yesterday and today, I mentioned it more in case it was a wider issue. I'm at home now and it seems to be working fine.

Yeah it was probably a soft-ban problem and it tends to happen when the thing gets the most busy I'm trying to tiptoe as close to the limit as possible but you know in the pages and pages of documentation they have up at niantic.com/api/docs/1.3 it sometimes isn't crystal clear what is going on :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah it was probably a soft-ban problem and it tends to happen when the thing gets the most busy I'm trying to tiptoe as close to the limit as possible but you know in the pages and pages of documentation they have up at niantic.com/api/docs/1.3 it sometimes isn't crystal clear what is going on :)
I see, it didn't occur to me that it could be going through a soft ban but it makes sense that it would. Thanks again for the site, it's been really helpful!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else had an egg just hatch into nothing? The app didn't crash or anything but after 'oh' it just disappeared like nothing happened. Pretty disappointing to lose a 10km egg.......

Edit: It might've become an Eevee? That's about as disappointing as nothing though really. Not sure.

Jintor

It's interesting the Pokemon people interpret as rare based on their location. I couldn't move for pinsirs yesterday but I still haven't even seen a drowsee

It's interesting the Pokemon people interpret as rare based on their location. I couldn't move for pinsirs yesterday but I still haven't even seen a drowsee
Yeah, my area is full of Voltorbs and Magnemites. I have friends that live 15 minutes away and they've never seen either.

Whereabouts in the UK is the Charmander nest? I'm guessing not Manchester as I've never seen a Charmander here.
Never mind, just saw the the nests are nowhere near me Give Manchester some love please Niantic.
Just look for a local Facebook Poke Go group. That's how I found all the ones in the Sheffield/Rotherham area. Surely there's one for Manchester of all places.

Jintor

I actually started backpacking around Asia (okay, Japan and Taiwan) just after go launched so I feel like I've probably roamed more than most while playing.

That said the tracker has been broke every time I see a goddamn farfetch'd so

Fisty

I've only caught 1 Drowzee. Would kill for a Hypno.

And I've been playing since launch.

Not sure if it was a coincidence or not but playing Pokemon Go at 3 different airports on the west coast, ive caught about 25-30 drowzees. Its weird, I have found one while playing in LA since launch but found around 15 waiting for a flight at LAX. Seattle, Sacramento, and LA airports were stuffed with them

Fisty

Anyone got a really in depth gym guide? I want to know the finer details of prestige system etc but most gym guides are "to do a regualr attack, tap the pokemon"

Anyone else had an egg just hatch into nothing? The app didn't crash or anything but after 'oh' it just disappeared like nothing happened. Pretty disappointing to lose a 10km egg.......

Edit: It might've become an Eevee? That's about as disappointing as nothing though really. Not sure.

I had an egg hatch but the game failed to load the pokemon model. everything else was happening, flashing lights, sound effects, even the pokemon's screech, but the model was empty so I had no idea what it was at first, suspense was killing me. Once it flashed with the CP and stats It finally said Magnemite for the name.

Sightings, bottom right corner of the game screen. Very reliable and easy to use.
You misunderstand me, good sir. While I do understand the negative feelings some associate with using third party Pokemon tracking applications, I do not share these views. I hope you do not bear me ill will for using such methods as it was not my intent to offend you in any way. Now, since it's obvious we have no further need to keep this conversation going, I will wish you a good day.

deanote666

I finally got a pokemon strong enough to survive "training" in a level 3 gym. Had a higher CP than most of them.

Defeated 3 pokemon. Only got 47XP and 600 prestige...

Lame...

Is it bad that I like it when all the local gyms are enemy gyms since it is easier to take down enemy ones than it is to get into a friendly that is full? (I play solo)

I finally got a pokemon strong enough to survive "training" in a level 3 gym. Had a higher CP than most of them.

Lame...

Is it bad that I like it when all the local gyms are enemy gyms since it is easier to take down enemy ones than it is to get into a friendly that is full? (I play solo)

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of how they set up friendly gyms. It feels completely pointless to power them up. It's easier for me to one-man an enemy gym than it is to level up my own, and I get more out of it.

After grinding out four Dragonites, I finally got one I can happily level. Perfect IVs, Dragon Breath, and a good enough charge move.

The gap between Dragonite and the rest (all the starred pokemon except Vaporeon and Snorlax were maxed out before I leveled from 25 to 26) is pretty nuts.

zroid

Banned
Kabutos look so damn weird from above. Sometimes when I see one in the wild I think there's a splotch on my screen. :lol

Growlie19

Hatched 3 eggs today. I had a 10K become a Dratini, which left me just shy of a Dragonair unfortunately. My two 5K's did help with evos, though, with Persian and Slowbro being new additions to my dex. Persian ended up being awful, but Slowbro has Ice Beam and 1464 CP, which will be a big help against enemy Dragonite.

I'm also just two candy away from an Arcanine! So close....

Lukemon

After grinding out four Dragonites, I finally got one I can happily level. Perfect IVs, Dragon Breath, and a good enough charge move.

The gap between Dragonite and the rest (all the starred pokemon except Vaporeon and Snorlax were maxed out before I leveled from 25 to 26) is pretty nuts.

Hyper Beam and Dragon Claw are only a few % different in terms of DPS anyway. Congrats on pretty much the ultimate 'mon!

jotun?

Lame...

Apparently the trick to training gyms is to use a LOWER CP to fight them

Using a low CP to beat a defender will supposedly get you more than double the prestige compared to using a higher CP, even if the CP difference is really small

Hyper Beam and Dragon Claw are only a few % different in terms of DPS anyway. Congrats on pretty much the ultimate 'mon!
When used as a defender, hyper beam is generally better because it's damage window is 800ms, meaning the attacker can only dodge 63% of the damage from it. Dragon Claw is 200ms so it can be dodged completely

so my 100% karp got dragon breath and dragon claw or someshit with 35 damage while my friends got Hydro pump

i think i might be bowing out of this game

zroid

Banned

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of how they set up friendly gyms. It feels completely pointless to power them up. It's easier for me to one-man an enemy gym than it is to level up my own, and I get more out of it.

that is definitely a flaw of this game for sure. building prestige takes fucking forever, and the benefits of joining a gym don't necessarily outweigh just taking a new gym.

Lame...

Use a Pokemon that is lower CP than the first Pokemon, even if it's just one CP, if/when you defeat the first Pokemon you can leave if you don't have a chance of KO'ing the next Pokemon and not have your Pokemon as hurt - this will give you a little over 500 prestige and the lower your Pokemon's CP compared to the Pokemon you were training again the more prestige you will get (although it doesn't seem to be a huge boost).

So you are clearly intended on using a Pokemon that is lower than what you are fighting to train a gym. Makes it MUCH easier.

Apparently the trick to training gyms is to use a LOWER CP to fight them

Using a low CP to beat a defender will supposedly get you more than double the prestige compared to using a higher CP, even if the CP difference is really small

Yup. If you use something equal or lesser value, it's 500 prestige. It's why Chanseys are useful in that regard.

BahamutPT

How do you know what moves a wild pokemon has?

I didn't at first, but some people who were with me caught it and it had Hydro Pump :p

Movesets + IVs + Height + Weight for every Pokémon spawned (be it wild or lure) are the same across all players. The only difference is the CP/Pokémon Level.

(Which is actually why bots are so "effective" and spawn sniping is a thing in the game)

Other players around you catching it

I didn't at first, but some people who were with me caught it and it had Hydro Pump :p

Movesets + IVs + Height + Weight for every Pokémon spawned (be it wild or lure) are the same across all players. The only difference is the CP/Pokémon Level.

(Which is actually why bots are so "effective" and spawn sniping is a thing in the game)

Cool, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom