• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Is there free WiFi at Universal? I'm heading there next week, but I'm from the UK, so unless there's WiFi I won't be able to play, which would be very frustrating!

iirc there is, but it's very slow on a busy day. Might be enough to get by though.

BTHR Zero X

I am curious to how people are catching Pokemon over 1000 CP. I have no seen a single one over 700. I am 21/22 and have been roaming Harrisburg for days.

BTHR Zero X

I've also only seen 3 (when I was level 21/22) and I caught only 2 of them.

My friend who is now lvl 16 has caught 3, a Tauros, a Slowbro and a Hypno. I mean could it be based on the Gyms held in the area? he is Mystic and I am Valor and Valor rarely get Gyms in the are while Mystic and Instinct holds so many

I am curious to how people are catching Pokemon over 1000 CP. I have no seen a single one over 700. I am 21/22 and have been roaming Harrisburg for days.

I caught a 1037 Pinsir, my highest wild but not my highest overall at the time. There really was nothing different about it, he popped up on my map and I caught him just the same as any other pokemon. I can't remember if his CP showed up as ??? or if it actually showed it. Either way, I haven't see any wild pokemon near that CP since. I don't use tracking websites. Level 22 as of this morning.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm now a believer of curve balls.

Did only curve balls during my walk to work and not a single Pokemon ran away during the 40 minutes. That never happens for me.

5dkOJXn.gif

Nothing out of this world but I've been getting used to half the trash guys I encounter to run. Got them all using at most two balls.

I'm now a believer of curve balls.

Did only curve balls during my walk to work and not a single Pokemon ran away during the 40 minutes. That never happens for me.

I am still unsure if I am doing them correctly. I hold it down and the ball spins and arcs when hitting them but I never notice a bonus or anything saying I did one correctly.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I am still unsure if I am doing them correctly. I hold it down and the ball spins and arcs when hitting them but I never notice a bonus or anything saying I did one correctly.

What I do is hold it down and spin the ball with my finger with a little twirl, drag it to the far left (keep spinning with the finger if it's a jerk Pokemon who is flopping around or yelling) and then flick it as I would if I were throwing it normally straight ahead.

I only ever see 1k+ CP ones at Central Park in NY...unless it's something rare like Lapras or Snorlax. It's usually Scyther, Pinsir or Tauros that whenever I spot, more often than not, is over 900.

SuomiDude

I got my first Dragonite today, found it in the wild. Though it looks to be pretty crappy to be honest, but not really sure.

It's 1907 CP (which is my highest CP Pokémon), but only has 113 hp and it got Steel Wing (15 attack) and Dragon Claw (35 attack), so all in all doesn't look very good at first glance. Will try it in battles though.

I think I'll just save my Dratini candies and try to eventually evolve Dragonite instead.

pringles

Well you'll find higher CP pokemon the higher your level and also the ones that are really strong in the wild are usually rare ones like Dragonite/Snorlax/Aerodactyl/Lapras/etc or the evolved versions of pokemon, so the cases where you find pokemon with the potential to be that strong are rare to begin with.

GulAtiCa

I'm 1 Pokemon away from the following before I can fully evolve them: Nidoran (female), Voltorb, Jigglypuff & Exeggcute.

Though, Exeggcute is the only one I'm unsure of, since I don't have a 80%+ IV Pokemon for it yet. The others are high IV since I hatched them. Jigglypuff is 97%!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else feel they should maybe redo some of the gym-battle stuff? I feel like is too hard to properly train / defend gyms, especially when a single high level player can fairly easily just ef up any gym they want on their own. Gyms are pretty much only worth it if you can get into a few at the same time just to quickly claim your coins.

Maybe reduce the number of POKéMON you can attack with from six to three? Increase the number of POKéMON you can train with?

Hycran

Banned
Anyone else feel they should maybe redo some of the gym-battle stuff? I feel like is too hard to properly train / defend gyms, especially when a single high level player can fairly easily just ef up any gym they want on their own. Gyms are pretty much only worth it if you can get into a few at the same time just to quickly claim your coins.

Maybe reduce the number of POKéMON you can attack with from six to three? Increase the number of POKéMON you can train with?

The problem with the gym system is that if they change it to make the gyms easier to train, every gym will end up being level 10 and people won't want to attack. I lived in a place where every gym was red and it was great because I could get 7-10 due to attacking being so much easier. Now I'm in a place where everything is blue and I'm lucky if I squeak out 4-5.

I think the real solution is for gyms to atrophy and turn over, maybe lose a rank a day. Alternatively, make it slightly more beneficial to train such that it only takes a certain amounts of run through to level the gym.

GulAtiCa

I wish they make it so training a Gym is easier. Would help a lot if they did the type effectiveness better.

Also, wish they did a weekly "This Pokemon is more common" event like they do in some of the more recent Pokemon games. Be cool if Voltorbs are more common for my area for a week or so.

Make sure the ball starts sparkling before you throw it, sometimes you spin it for a second and the throw still curves, but it doesn't count as a curveball.

And I can attest to the success of the curveball technique, almost every throw I make is a curveball now and my catch rate has skyrocketed.

Also, wish they did a weekly "This Pokemon is more common" event like they do in some of the more recent Pokemon games. Be cool if Voltorbs are more common for my area for a week or so.

That'd be great. It's definitely hitting a point where they need to mix something up - pidgey fatigue is starting to set in. And even if it isn't yet, as you get further through with your own goals, you'll get closer. Timed events like that'd be great, it'd force a mix, you know there'd be something different, helps. Reasons to get back in if you've lapsed, as you know it'll be different.

I'm less fussed to do gyms now - there's not enough depth to keep me wanting to go back. Oh I can take the team for red? So what, it'll go in a bit. It's fun for a bit, but there's no further motivation beyond that. They need to get a bit more of that world-building, leaderboards, purpose of the three teams in there more.

Three new additions to the dex with evolutions today thanks to Wartortle, Blastoise and Rapidash.

Up to 124 now.

Need 2 Clefairy and 1 Cubone to evolve them as well.

And another day with no Mr Mime, really hope I can find one while I'm here.
I've also never seen a Snorlax, Chansey, Aerodactyl or Porygon.
Have three Lapras though, all in the wild rather than eggs so bad IVs all around.

Seriously. I'm down to just one hyper potion now. I'm simply not getting any more from Pokestops.

Even lower potions are popping out very infrequently.

Of course, I was one of the people pissed that I wasn't getting enough balls not too long ago so I'm pretty much unpleaseable which is a word if I say it's a word.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with the gym system is that if they change it to make the gyms easier to train, every gym will end up being level 10 and people won't want to attack. I lived in a place where every gym was red and it was great because I could get 7-10 due to attacking being so much easier. Now I'm in a place where everything is blue and I'm lucky if I squeak out 4-5.

I think the real solution is for gyms to atrophy and turn over, maybe lose a rank a day. Alternatively, make it slightly more beneficial to train such that it only takes a certain amounts of run through to level the gym.
Wait, how is that 'the real solution'? It's currently too easy to attack and too hard to train, having gyms automatically lose reputation on top of that only makes attacking even easier and training even less rewarding.

CrazE

Banned
these eggs are taking so long to hatch

I think GPS stuff is a bit whacky now since they added that "slow down, are you a passenger" part of the game. I think if that comes up.. since you have no choice but to say you're a passenger. I think when that pops up, it stops counting your GPS walking and thinks you're in a car.

This has happened to me a bunch now that they made this switch. I'm doing same work break walks that I did before where eggs seemed to get the KM walked pretty close to right, to not even close these days.

Wait, how is that 'the real solution'? It's currently too easy to attack and too hard to train, having gyms automatically lose reputation on top of that only makes attacking even easier and training even less rewarding.

Not around here with cheating assholes holding the gyms for days on end at this point.

I think GPS stuff is a bit whacky now since they added that "slow down, are you a passenger" part of the game. I think if that comes up.. since you have no choice but to say you're a passenger. I think when that pops up, it stops counting your GPS walking and thinks you're in a car.

This has happened to me a bunch now that they made this switch. I'm doing same work break walks that I did before where eggs seemed to get the KM walked pretty close to right, to not even close these days.

I usually open the app and leaving it running while I drive to work for the KMs and I've been getting MUCH less since the asinine car popup started.

Pejo

Hell yea, got an Onix. It showed up right outside my office. I will never be able to power him up, because that's only the second one I've ever seen, but it's cool to have.

training up a gym is pretty easy, always have a mid tier cp pokemon ready to fight the first one or two pokemon on the bottom of the gym that has a type advantage, learn to dodge, and you can level the gym rather quickly (3 or 4 tries). the higher the level, the harder it is to level as it should be, but when you take over a gym it has the potential to automatically be level 3 if your team adds to it. when taking out a level 5 gym even, it's pretty time consuming and resource consuming if you attack alone so it makes it worth building up.

if it's your team gym and it already has a bunch of high tier pokemon, throw in one of your mid tiers to be beaten by your teammates to build prestige.

it should be easy to take down or build up gyms if you have teammates, the thrill of the game is collaboration and that should be rewarded.

edit: the real solution to the gym stuff is to make potions more common or introduce pokemon hospitals.

either that or make gyms be more out of the way of Pokéstops, so they become a destination rather than something to do on your walks around collecting items.

pringles

That feeling when you're <5,000xp from level 27 and you encounter 2 dragonites in 15 minutes and they're cp 260 and 670 for you, and cp 1600 and 1900 for someone at lvl 27...

I wish they make it so training a Gym is easier. Would help a lot if they did the type effectiveness better.
Training gyms isn't all that hard, and there's actually some strategy that goes into building a gym to make sure it's possible to level it up. I cringe when I see a level 3 gym with only 1800+CP pokemon. Extremely difficult to level up, still easy to take down.
The trick is to insert an 'easy' pokemon in the first slot of the gym so you can beat it over and over with lower CP pokemon and THEN insert stronger pokemon. With 2-3 people training, adding 500+ prestige by beating one pokemon, it's fast. My big issue is there should be more XP in it.

I haven't seen a hyper potion in three days and my office is a Pokestop. What are Niantic even doing anymore?
My pokestop drop rate, without exaggerating:

1. Pokeball
2. Revive
3. Great Ball
4. Berry
5. Potion
6. Ultra Ball
7. Eggs
8. Mewtwo
9. Try again later
10. ?????
11. Super potion/hyper potion/max potion

Never have less than 20-30 injured pokemon.

SuomiDude

That feeling when you're <5,000xp from level 27 and you encounter 2 dragonites in 15 minutes and they're cp 260 and 670 for you, and cp 1600 and 1900 for someone at lvl 27...
Isn't it mostly random? I mean I'm level 22 and I found Dragonite of 1900+ CP today. Or would it have been 3000+ for a higher level character?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Training gyms isn't all that hard, and there's actually some strategy that goes into building a gym to make sure it's possible to level it up. I cringe when I see a level 3 gym with only 1800+CP pokemon. Extremely difficult to level up, still easy to take down.
The trick is to insert an 'easy' pokemon in the first slot of the gym so you can beat it over and over with lower CP pokemon and THEN insert stronger pokemon. With 2-3 people training, adding 500+ prestige by beating one pokemon, it's fast. My big issue is there should be more XP in it.
Putting low CP POKéMON into a gym to 'train' it is one of the worst things you can do when you can just put a 1500~ CP one in and train with the same results. I was once training a gym here where I could use my ~ 1000 CP Tangela to defeat two slightly higher water POKéMON to get lots of rep, when another person from my team came in and dropped a ~ 700 Pidgeot in the slot I just opened up 'so he could train', basically cutting me off from training in the process. Another gym I'm in had a 10 CP Mankey and ~ 200 CP Ratticate that people put in there for 'training', and they're just two wasted slots. Just now I attempted to train a lv. 7 gym so I could put one of my POKéMON in, but it was near impossible because the low CP Mr. Mime that was in it wrecked all of my low CP stuff and did enough to my high CP stuff that they could not beat more than one other POKéMON, making training super inefficient.

If you want to train, put a high CP fire POKéMON in it and then train with a slightly weaker water POKéMON. Or a grass POKé and train with fire. Etc. Low CP POKéMON are wasted slots at best and can make training inefficient for others / cost lots of potions at worst. Yes, there are ways to make training easier by putting certain POKéMON in, but many people just do not know that, and in the end, attacking is still too easy when you can just bruteforce with 6 POKéMON at a time, only limited by the amount of potions you have on you.

Red Fire

Incredibly excited. Found a Charmander nest in my area.

Is there a park or something near the nest? Those pictures look like the nest is in the middle of a normal street/area.

Does that mean nests can be in the middle of nowhere? I thought they are always at parks/golf courses etc.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The gym near my house has gone Instinct > Neutral > Instinct a few times now with different POKéMON on it each time and being Neutral long enough for any potential attacking team to have been able to put their POKéMON in. Is this some glitch / cheat I am not aware of?

EL CUCO

Vacationing on the Gulf coast of S Florida and I've caught so many rare Pokémon. Stuff I've never seen since launch popping up.

Ocean side = best side

Sh0k

Got two Eevees out of my first two 10KM Eggs. Yesterday I hatched my third one and I got a CP level 1182 Electabuzz. Actually yesterday was a good day, hatched my third Drowzee and got enough candies to evolve it into a Hypno; hatched a CP level 1005 Porygon and was able to evolve my Nidoran male into a Nidoking.

GulAtiCa

If you are all by yourself, that isn't helpful though. I agree that having a low Pokemon is helpful to train up. Just trained up a gym that had a 721ish Pidgeot. But if your just solo, you kinda can't count on that tactic often really.

Which is why they need to redo the type effectiveness. Really annoying to be beaten by a an opponent when in reality their pokemon should never been able to beta you.. Stupid water Pokemon knowing Ice moves... lol

Red Fire

So i have this problem:

Every time i enter a restaurant or a shop or something while playing PoGo i get the message no gps signal detected. Outside it's working perfectly fine. My friends do not get the message, they can play just fine inside. I have a Galaxy S6 while my friend has a Galaxy S5 so i don't think it's because of my phone?

Anyone got a tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom