• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Are we sure the region exclusives won't be exclusive anymore at some point?
Well I think the idea might be for people who travel overseas to try and catch several of the rares so they can go around, in person, trading them away locally. So they do spread, but slowly. And still in the spirit of "GO".

I'm just postulating, though. I don't know if they've made any mention of this.

BowieZ

Banned
guys what is the highest possible POKEDEX count?
145 is possible (151 minus Mewtwo, Mew, Ditto, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres) then usually you subtract exclusives in the meantime... So 142 if you live within an exclusive territory.

Wait, hang on, though. I'm fairly sure it was 141 so maybe my math is not checking out. Am I missing something?

udivision

Are we sure trading isn't going to be in-person/Bluetooth only?

I'm thinking it'll be relegating to PokeStops.

Considering they have an account system and all the important information is server side, they could just have a website for trading too. But that goes against the game design.

I can't believe they nerfed biking even harder :(

I hate going on walks/runs but LOVE biking around town, but I get a pittance for it unless I move at a snails pace

adamy

Banned
I hate it that I don't know how to do this whole IV thing. I have 5 Eevee's but is not sure which ones to evolve because I don't know their IV's.

https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator
https://thesilphroad.com/research

I ignore the IV thing since all the good sites for it get shutdown and just using them can get you banned

you're talking about apps/sites that pull in game data. calculators still work just fine.

AdanVC

Then how can I figure out wich pokemon should I evolve or give powerdust? I honestly don't have a clue how IVs works. Yesterday I evolved an Evee that was XL in both weight and height and had kinda powerful movesets and around 400 cp so I thought: "Well if I evolve this one it should came kinda powerful... So I evolved him and oh surprise, it was the absolute opposite, it became a Vaporeon and everything in it went down (weight, height, shitty and weak moveset) except his CP and HP. I got so frustrated because it's a pain to get enough Evees here to evolve. So I haven't been into gym fightings a lot because of that, all of my high CP Pokémon have shitty and weak movesets and they get defeated quickly : /

pringles

2000 stardust is nothing. Thats like one level up. His way of doing it is much more efficient.

This game doesn't do a very good job at giving you any reason to level up what you catch. Unless it has some great IVs you're almost definitely going to catch a better version of that Pokémon when you get to a higher level. There have been multiple times when I've been leveling something up with stardust only to run into that Pokemon with better CP in the wild.
Ahh yes, I'm totally catching 2000+ CP pokemon constantly now at lvl 27. Really regret sinking stardust into my >90%IV Exeggutor, Vaporeon etc with perfect movesets /sarcasm

I wish I didn't evolve/power up anything before lvl 20, but telling people to wait until lvl 30 is bad advice. Some gyms I've been holding for days on end, it's a few thousand stardust and some pokecoins every day, the investment of powering up some good fighters pays for itself.

I hate it that I don't know how to do this whole IV thing. I have 5 Eevee's but is not sure which ones to evolve because I don't know their IV's.
https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator

Alternatively look at their CPs, if they're close the ones with less stardust cost to power up have better IVs.

adamy

Banned
Then how can I figure out wich pokemon should I evolve or give powerdust? I honestly don't have a clue how IVs works. Yesterday I evolved an Evee that was XL in both weight and height and had kinda powerful movesets and around 400 cp so I thought: "Well if I evolve this one it should came kinda powerful... So I evolved him and oh surprise, it was the absolute opposite, it became a Vaporeon and everything in it went down (weight, height, shitty and weak moveset) except his CP and HP. I got so frustrated because it's a pain to get enough Evees here to evolve. So I haven't been into gym fightings a lot because of that, all of my high CP Pokémon have shitty and weak movesets and they get defeated quickly : /

decide which to evolve purely based on IV. move set is irrelevant because it will change, CP is nice when higher but honestly i'd take high IV over high CP any day since IV can't be changed and CP can

once evolved, if it has a ideal move set i'd say it's safe to power up

currently i'm not powering up any pokemon that is under ~95% IV

PSFan

Well I think the idea might be for people who travel overseas to try and catch several of the rares so they can go around, in person, trading them away locally. So they do spread, but slowly. And still in the spirit of "GO".

I'm just postulating, though. I don't know if they've made any mention of this.

Unless they plan to give out plane tickets, this region exclusive stuff is bullshit. If they wanted to do something exclusive, why not some be exclusive to Android and some exclusive to iOS? That would be more in the spirit of "Pokemon".

zroid

Banned
Tbh I think I'd prefer this.

Being able to go online and just request whatever takes a bit of the fun out of it.

It would just really trivialize filling up the Pokédex. I wouldn't be a fan of online trading. Much prefer simply eliminating region exclusives and do local trading.

Ezalc

if they trading online or code based I'm sure Gaffers will help each other

i like the fact that there are region exclusives

pretty sure trading wont be an issue as long as places like gaf exist
Not everybody is on GAF guys, c'mon.

also i dont get this part of your post:

The stupid thing is, come trading time, all those region exclusives will get some super high bullshit requests and the regions without it won't be able to do anything.

regions without what? without pokemon that people want? that doesnt make sense, every region has access to high IV good pokemon...?
It means that people will have to bend over backwards to get like a high IV tauros just because it's exclusive to NA, any exclusive will always cause this. Regions without any sort of exclusive will have a harder time with this. If you can't even get the pokemon from hatching them then how is this even fair. Yeah you're supposed to go out into the world, but people can't be paying absurd prices for airfare to go get a tauros or whatever. It's stupid.

Tbh I think I'd prefer this.

Being able to go online and just request whatever takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Ah yes, let's make it even harder for people to get the exclusive pokemon.

adamy

Banned
Not everybody is on GAF guys, c'mon.

It means that people will have to bend over backwards to get like a high IV tauros just because it's exclusive to NA, any exclusive will always cause this. Regions without any sort of exclusive will have a harder time with this. If you can't even get the pokemon from hatching them then how is this even fair. Yeah you're supposed to go out into the world, but people can't be paying absurd prices for airfare to go get a tauros or whatever. It's stupid.

There are regions that don't have access to any exclusives?

if you get a pokemon with great iv and pretty good cp, go ahead and evolve it. if it turns out to get the perfect moveset, right there go ahead and power the shit out of it with all your stardust, because it won't get any better, and you will no longer have to actively farm that Pokemon candy again. I have a venasaur with great iv and perfect moveset maxed to my level. if he had a shit moveset I would have farmed another 125 candies again, but now I won't have to. farming certain candies are a huge pain in the ass and the less that I would have to do, the better.

It would just really trivialize filling up the Pokédex. I wouldn't be a fan of online trading. Much prefer simply eliminating region exclusives and do local trading.
Nah keep the exclusives. As said earlier, when someone goes on vacation they can catch multiple to bring back and spread them around, especially with today's update that made them a lot more common.

pringles

I don't think that's true. Region exclusives are super common to some people (and possibly getting more common according to latest rumours), you don't think there would be plenty of people willing to trade them for semi-rare pokemon like Dratini, Growlithe, the starters etc? Heck there are people who can't find Drowzee in their areas, there will always be trades to find.
Personally I haven't even caught a Mr Mime, but when I get him in my dex I'd trade him for whatever almost.

But I don't think trading should really become a thing. I'd prefer that they do something like "rotate" the exclusives.

FlyingHugeMan

Neo Member
Speaking of region exclusive pokes, I caught my first Mr Mime just next to the Eiffel tower.

I live in the suburbs around Paris, and I never saw a Mr Mime on my radar since the game's release. It was also my first pokemon hunt in that specific aera. Was it a coincidence or are those regions specific pokes spawn in touristic spots ?

AdanVC

decide which to evolve purely based on IV. move set is irrelevant because it will change, CP is nice when higher but honestly i'd take high IV over high CP any day since IV can't be changed and CP can

once evolved, if it has a ideal move set i'd say it's safe to power up

currently i'm not powering up any pokemon that is under ~95% IV

This is great advice, thank youuuu! This and the IV calculator you posted above should be good so I can begin calculating this damn IVs! I want to start rocking gyms so this is beyond useful!

zroid

Banned
Nah keep the exclusives. As said earlier, when someone goes on vacation they can catch multiple to bring back and spread them around, especially with today's update that made them a lot more common.

I don't mind but obviously traveling overseas is not an option for many people. Here's an idea: make region exclusives from all regions spawn in zoos.

Chinner

Banned
They really need to add more features to this. Majority of people I know have now stopped playing this. Base mechanics are pretty boring now.

Ezalc

There are regions that don't have access to any exclusives?

As far as I know, maybe from Mexico down to SA has no exclusive at the moment. Kangaskhan seems to be only for Australia and New Zealand and Farfetch'd only for Japan. This of course doesn't include territories where it hasn't been launched yet, which if the trend continues, won't get any exclusive pokemon since the only pokemon left to be released are the legendaries and ditto.

Prototype

People should absolutely be forced to travel to find Pokemon.

Pretty lame you can catch most by just sitting around your home town.
Really wish the Pokemon were more spread out over the world and you had to actually travel more to fill out the pokedex, would mean more imo.

As far as I know, maybe from Mexico down to SA has no exclusive at the moment. Kangaskhan seems to be only for Australia and New Zealand and Farfetch'd only for Japan. This of course doesn't include territories where it hasn't been launched yet, which if the trend continues, won't get any exclusive pokemon since the only pokemon left to be released are the legendaries and ditto.
Articuno exclusive to Antarctica confirmed.

enemy2k

My friends Pokemon Go account just got hacked into and he is pissed. He changed his PW and everything and the guy using his account is still allowed to play. They are both playing at the same time. WTF? Once you change your PW it should kick everyone off. And it shouldn't allow two difference devices at once to play. He sent in a ticket.

Edit: He is using the Pokemon Trainer account and not a Google account which he regrets doing now because 2 factor auth would have helped.

Vipu

Banned
Is this not good??? I genuinely ask : /

Vaporeon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Flareon >>>> Jolteon

Also is that Gyarados nerf true?
Like wtf is Niantic thinking if they remove some moveset BUT leave already captured with it??
Again slap on the face for people who dont live in massive citys who have had no chance to get enough candy etc...

adamy

Banned

Pretty sure Farfetch'd is available outside of Japan. I think a buddy told me he caught it in Hong Kong or Singapore. Can't remember which.

AdanVC

Worst one you can get.

Like wtf is Niantic thinking if they remove some moveset BUT leave already captured with it??
Again slap on the face for people who dont live in massive citys who have had no chance to get enough candy etc...

Damn I really need a lot to learn in terms of powerful Pokemon, IV's, evolutions, etc, etc. I need to play the actual RPG games to familiarize with all this stuff!

adamy

Banned

Has nothing to do with living in massive cities...level 28, I live in Los Angeles, I've caught over 4k Pokemon
, not close to having enough candy to get even 1 gyrados

Damn I really need a lot to learn in terms of powerful Pokemon, IV's, evolutions, etc, etc. I need to play the actual RPG games to familiarize with all this stuff!

Not necessary, you'll get the hang of it quickly

GulAtiCa

Found 2 Tauros while out today so far. Also hatched another Volorb, so was able to evolve that. Sadly it's CP is barely above 1000.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

Really wish the Pokemon were more spread out over the world and you had to actually travel more to fill out the pokedex, would mean more imo.

I know what you're saying, but that would probably frustrate most players. However, it is neat that certain pokemon are more common in certain areas. In the past few month, I have traveled to Seattle, New Mexico, and Salt Lake City, and common pokemon types in all three places are completely different. It has really helped me fill out my pokedex and beef up my inventory

Vipu

Banned
Has nothing to do with living in massive cities...level 28, I live in Los Angeles, I've caught over 4k Pokemon
, not close to having enough candy to get even 1 gyrados

Not necessary, you'll get the hang of it quickly

Because massive cities dont have pokestop every 50m and every pokestop is lured?
Also there is much more spawns than in some small citys.

LA population/km²: 3 236,3
My citys population/km²: 11,97

Im level 27 with 2550 pokemons caught, 240 Magicarp candy.
You tell me if I was in LA I would not have 5 Gyarados already?

Firemind

Bite is in like 99% of the situations neutral or better than Dragon Breath. Still terrible DPS tho.

Is Tauros anywhere outside the USA? I'm from Mexico and I've never seen it on the radar and only saw one in a gym.
The gym was in a very touristic place so of course it could have been an American putting their Tauros in it.

I'm from Mexico too and I've seen a Tauros on the radar but never catched one.

pringles

It's a cool thought but it would suck for 90% of players. It's more than enough imo that the game highly encourages exploring various parts of your city and surrounding areas as well as going to other towns. Then you have region exclusives on top of that, it already takes either a cheater or a rich globetrotter to catch all pokemon in the game.
Because massive cities dont have pokestop every 50m and every pokestop is lured?

Ehh, best Magikarp farming spot I've found is by a river in a small village with zero pokestops and <100 population. The gf got like 100+ candy in that spot just today. The game is definitely easier in most ways for big city folk, but it's possible to find farming spots in rural areas too.

145 is possible (151 minus Mewtwo, Mew, Ditto, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres) then usually you subtract exclusives in the meantime... So 142 if you live within an exclusive territory.

Wait, hang on, though. I'm fairly sure it was 141 so maybe my math is not checking out. Am I missing something?

Nope, you're right. 141 is the max you can get by going vanilla. If your country has an exclusive, it's 142 (so in the US/Mexico, Japan, Europe and Australia I believe). If you somehow manage to travel the world while playing, you can get the other 3 for 145 as the absolute max right now.

adamy

Banned

Did you not read my post? That's exactly what I'm telling you

Again, I live in LA, caught well over 4000 Pokemon and I'm not even close to getting one gyrados

Joco

Having to travel to other continents for a complete Pokédex is bullshit, no other way about it. For a game about catching everything it shouldn't be near impossible for the majority of players to obtain a complete Pokédex. I'm not saying it should be easy, but having to travel to other continents is ridiculous.

jelmerjt

Mr. Mime spawned near my house :D

1TIAllU.png

GulAtiCa

Getting enough Magikarps is easy if you are near a lot of Water sources. I nearly have enough to get my 2nd Gyrados. My work is right next to a pond, so I get a few every day. Then on my running trail, certain parts are Magikarp nests, since it's along a small stream.

For the country exclusives, I hope they switch it or something. They really need events and such.

PSFan

Getting enough Magikarps is easy if you are near a lot of Water sources. I nearly have enough to get my 2nd Gyrados. My work is right next to a pond, so I get a few every day. Then on my running trail, certain parts are Magikarp nests, since it's along a small stream.

This is true. The beach near my house always has 5+ Magikarp flopping around. And once a wild Gyrados actually spawned. And he ran on me.

jariw

Speaking of region exclusive pokes, I caught my first Mr Mime just next to the Eiffel tower.

I live in the suburbs around Paris, and I never saw a Mr Mime on my radar since the game's release. It was also my first pokemon hunt in that specific aera. Was it a coincidence or are those regions specific pokes spawn in touristic spots ?

FWIW, I also saw (and caught) my first Mr. Mime today. Then I saw another in the nearby list some hours later. Haven't seen any Mr. Mime since the game launch.

I sure as fuck don't need a special event to catch Tauros, I see them all the god damn time

This was a nice surprise outside my home this morning:

6a66e60f5d514b0da74cb061677a4b83.png

didn't have an Electrode yet, and nowhere near close to evolving a Voltorb. Getting pretty close to having enough Squirtle candies to evolve my Wartortle too.

I'm almost level 19 now but I never ever saw that much pokemon in one place, let alone rare ones like these. Most I saw was two pidgeys and a weedle I think. Hell, I never even saw a jynx or voltorb yet.
Is this kind of a special place or something or just some random place in a big city?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just treat region exclusives as nonexistent. If anything it's more annoying that South America doesn't have one.

At the current form of the game, I'll consider my Pokedex complete when I reach 141 caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom