• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

So, the new tracker in the app only works when they are near stops?

Got a lot of spawn areas here not around stops...

Thanks for your hard work, jelly!

that is how the test is currently going, it's possible that things will change, but with all the pointless lawsuits it seems unlikely especially since their goal seems to be make things good for city players but almost unplayable for non city players :p

jariw

How does this work so well?

Is it actually effective in that I can just put it on Mr Mime and zoom out to the entirety of London and just wait?

It's dependent on people using the supporting app that reports caught pokemons. Instead of relying on fake accounts and accessing the Niantic's servers, the app creates its own data based on other player's findings.

Yrael

Joni

I've been thinking about getting on one of the original games, but I don't know what to go for. All Pokemon games are relatively expensive second-hand, especially now. What I want is:

Preferrably sprites rather than 3D (low-res 3DS 3D is no fun).

I want the original/Go cast, but if they're still around in a later game, that's fine I guess.

I don't think I want the hassle of an original GBC game. I might get a Micro to play one of the GBA games, or I'll play on my 3DS.

So, any suggestions?

Also, can the originals be levelled up to be competitive, or will I eventually have to evolve?
Virtual console version of Red, blue and yellow.

I seem to have been seeing more Kangaskhan recently.

Other people on Reddit have been noticing the region exclusives spawning more frequently too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/4ym6kk/6_mr_mime_just_spawned_in_my_city/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4ymnad/are_regionals_spawning_a_lot_for_you_today/

Nice one!
Now I feel less lucky :p

Good change though, was silly that you could visit another country and not encounter the exclusive.

Replicant

Nice one!

Anecdotal, of course but there may be some truth to this. but after I got my first Kangaskhan, I got my second one 2 hours later. Almost nabbed a 3rd one but he escaped.

Maybe Niantic sees people start losing interest and decided to lower the rarity of the specials.

Joni

Fun fun, my last days of holiday and niantic still hasn't restored my provider. Can't get a refund via Google either without going through niantic. At least a good reminder not to buy mobile games.

Radec

How does nearby pokemon works?

You just need to walk a few meters for it to pops up?

I saw a pikachu yesterday and doesn't seem to shows up even when im moving.

Joni

How does nearby pokemon works?

You just need to walk a few meters for it to pops up?

I saw a pikachu yesterday and doesn't seem to shows up even when im moving.

Basically this without the paw prints

k2VwixA.jpg

SiRatul

Other people on Reddit have been noticing the region exclusives spawning more frequently too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongodev/comments/4ym6kk/6_mr_mime_just_spawned_in_my_city/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4ymnad/are_regionals_spawning_a_lot_for_you_today/

Nice one!

Definitely seems to be the case. Saw the first Mr. Mime after weeks and it already spawned three times in the last few hours in the same area.

In one of those #LookAtYourLife, #LookAtYourChoices moment, I found myself hunting a Kangaskhan all the way behind high class' apartment complex. It really was one of those "What am I doing?!" moment since I only got him after wasting 5+ great balls due to the weird distance he was standing and after all of that, his CP is lower than your garden variety Clefairy:

nQrjScx.png

But it was fine since he's pretty rare and after that my 5k egg hatched and I got this guy:

cKRvfWd.png

So all in all not a sucky day.

Dat 1% battery

Yrael

After collecting enough candies, I finally added Gyarados and Dragonite to the Pokedex. However...

Gyarados got Twister instead of Hydro Pump.

Dragonite got Hyper Beam instead of Dragon Pulse. (Still a good move, but I was hoping to be able to use this against other Dragonites.)

FFS. TMs when, Niantic?

Replicant

Dat 1% battery

I didn't even realise it until I was throwing Pokeballs. I seriously thought "If my phone conks out before I got this Kanga, I'll probably swear so loud that the entire apartment complex behind can hear me."

Luckily that didn't happen. But still stressful situation all around. o_o;

Also, I think it's Kangaskhan Day today in Australia or something. There are lots of them spawning.

Gandalf

I didn't even realise it until I was throwing Pokeballs. I seriously thought "If my phone conks out before I got this Kanga, I'll probably swear so loud that the entire apartment complex behind can hear me."

Luckily that didn't happen. But still stressful situation all around. o_o;

Also, I think it's Kangaskhan Day today in Australia or something. There are lots of them spawning.

Must be some sort of special event for region Pokémon. Same for Mr Mime. Can someone else confirm for Tauros and Farfetch'd?

pringles

In bed in my hotel room and look at Pokemon Go...

So I check pokemonnearby and out I go...

Euro trip successful.
Nice! I've only ever seen him once, shortly after the game launched. Since I'm not a huge fan of Mr.Mime and because I thought he was common, I casually threw some pokeballs, no razz or nothing. Obviously he fled, and now a month later I've yet to see him again.

Anyone visiting europe for only a short time and getting him should count themselves lucky. Although he does sound pretty common in London, maybe big cities is where he hangs around.

jelmerjt

Woah. This Dragonair is level 15 and not 16 so it's 97.8 percent perfect :D

Someone here recently said that there really is no bad Dragonite, but I guess the "crappiest" one has the moves Steel Wing and Hyper Beam?

qBL8KJj.png

Yrael

Woah. This Dragonair is level 15 and not 16 so it's 97.8 percent perfect :D

Someone here recently said that there really is no bad Dragonite, but I guess the "crappiest" one has the moves Steel Wing and Hyper Beam?

qBL8KJj.png

Steel Wing and Hyper Beam is a relatively poor combination compared to other Dragonite movesets for attacking, yeah. And that's exactly what my hard-earned Dragonite ended up with. *sigh*

It isn't, however, the worst for defending:

UkW2hrU.png

NPceIT0.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...m_defenders_ranking_infographic_with_uqmikes/

Yrael

what does the % next to each moveset means?

That's the comparison to the best possible moveset. So a Snorlax with Lick / Hyper Beam has 98.1% of the attacking power of a Dragonite with Dragon Breath / Dragon Claw. It also depends on type match ups though, so there's room for variation.

Firemind

it warms my heart poliwrath is so high in the rankings

now if i could just hatch one with more than 75% perfect ivs. i'm sitting on 250 poliwag candy.

Mik2121

it warms my heart poliwrath is so high in the rankings

now if i could just hatch one with more than 75% perfect ivs. i'm sitting on 250 poliwag candy.
I have a 98% one! Also a 100% Tangela :)S) and quite a few 95%+ but still missing some strong Vaporeon and I'm so far from Dragonite...

Our Disney passes expire today, so of course yesterday we did a Disney binge.

Started off with Animal Kingdom. 3 Magikarp right at the entrance back to back. Rest of the park was an assortment of Florida's usual water pokemon, more karps, + a Dratini.

Off to Epcot. Way more pokestops! There was a trio of lures set up at the big fountain just before the entrance to the World Showcase. We camped inside the starbucks nearby for about 15 mins inbetween 2 of the lures. It's possible to sit somewhere and get all 3, but it's August in Florida, way too hot for that. We snagged some more karp, 1 Dragonair, 1 Dratini, 1 Gloom, and a ton of Psyduck.

We ate at the German buffet and sat next to another couple that plays Pokemon Go. Turns out they live in the next town over from us. We chatted a lot and traded info about nest spawns. Pretty cool experience.

Walking around the rest of Epcot yielded lots more Magikarp, Psyducks (he's everywhere in here) and about 5 more Dratinis. Off to Magic Kingdom...

But wait! Is that a Weezing on the nearby list!? I frantically check pokemonnearby and he's right at the entrance with 3 mins left! We ran, ducked and weaved through people traffic, and got to him just in time. I was so happy he showed up as Koffing is rare in my area and I only had 10 candies for him.

So...now we're off to Magic Kingdom! Had a blast of course, but not so great for pokemon. More psyduck, not as much karp, 1 Dratini near Splash Mountain. My fiance put a lure up at Space Mountain during our 45 min wait and it was nothing but Pidgeys, Rats, and 1 Eevee.

Rode the monorail back to the parking lot once we had our fill....bam, a Venasaur out of nowhere! Only 868 CP, but he has Razor Leaf and Solar Beam. He'll be great for gym training. My fiance's was only 172CP with crap moves LOL.

Hatched a bunch of eggs while there too. The slow rides rack up egg distance quickly. Nothing amazing, but now I have enough candies to evolve an Electrode and Jigglypuff. Picked up a 10K egg and have 7km into it so far.

ldcommando

Banned
Are dragonnites rare as the nearby site say they are? Caught one today inside my building. I turned the app on and he was there waiting for me.

zroid

Banned
I sure as fuck don't need a special event to catch Tauros, I see them all the god damn time

This was a nice surprise outside my home this morning:

6a66e60f5d514b0da74cb061677a4b83.png

didn't have an Electrode yet, and nowhere near close to evolving a Voltorb. Getting pretty close to having enough Squirtle candies to evolve my Wartortle too.

Joni

I sure as fuck don't need a special event to catch Tauros, I see them all the god damn time

didn't have an Electrode yet, and nowhere near close to evolving a Voltorb. Getting pretty close to having enough Squirtle candies to evolve my Wartortle too.

I'd watch out, this seems like a situation where they're waiting to attack you.

deanote666

I think pokemon go is slowing down in popularity in my town. There's a park with 3 stops right next to each other that were always lured. Now I don't remember the last time I saw a lure there...

PSFan

Jesus zroid, where the hell do you live? There's not one Rattata, Pidgey, caterpie or weedle in that group. It makes me hate my neighborhood, lol.

zroid

Banned
Jesus zroid, where the hell do you live? There's not one Rattata, Pidgey, caterpie or weedle in that group. It makes me hate my neighborhood, lol.

Drowzees are my version of that trash :p

only it's worse because they take 50 candies to evolve!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Our Disney passes expire today, so of course yesterday we did a Disney binge.

Started off with Animal Kingdom. 3 Magikarp right at the entrance back to back. Rest of the park was an assortment of Florida's usual water pokemon, more karps, + a Dratini.

Off to Epcot. Way more pokestops! There was a trio of lures set up at the big fountain just before the entrance to the World Showcase. We camped inside the starbucks nearby for about 15 mins inbetween 2 of the lures. It's possible to sit somewhere and get all 3, but it's August in Florida, way too hot for that. We snagged some more karp, 1 Dragonair, 1 Dratini, 1 Gloom, and a ton of Psyduck.

We ate at the German buffet and sat next to another couple that plays Pokemon Go. Turns out they live in the next town over from us. We chatted a lot and traded info about nest spawns. Pretty cool experience.

Walking around the rest of Epcot yielded lots more Magikarp, Psyducks (he's everywhere in here) and about 5 more Dratinis. Off to Magic Kingdom...

But wait! Is that a Weezing on the nearby list!? I frantically check pokemonnearby and he's right at the entrance with 3 mins left! We ran, ducked and weaved through people traffic, and got to him just in time. I was so happy he showed up as Koffing is rare in my area and I only had 10 candies for him.

So...now we're off to Magic Kingdom! Had a blast of course, but not so great for pokemon. More psyduck, not as much karp, 1 Dratini near Splash Mountain. My fiance put a lure up at Space Mountain during our 45 min wait and it was nothing but Pidgeys, Rats, and 1 Eevee.

Rode the monorail back to the parking lot once we had our fill....bam, a Venasaur out of nowhere! Only 868 CP, but he has Razor Leaf and Solar Beam. He'll be great for gym training. My fiance's was only 172CP with crap moves LOL.

Hatched a bunch of eggs while there too. The slow rides rack up egg distance quickly. Nothing amazing, but now I have enough candies to evolve an Electrode and Jigglypuff. Picked up a 10K egg and have 7km into it so far.

Nice report. We are going next week for 5 days. Coming from Michigan, hoping for some more variety...

hirokazu

nQrjScx.png

But it was fine since he's pretty rare...

Seems like Kangaskhans and other region exclusives are no longer rare since today. People have been reporting them showing up everywhere, almost as much as regular uncommon Pokémon.

IMG_9429.jpg

In six weeks, I caught two Kangaskhan and hatched one. Yesterday I caught another one by chance. Today, I caught ten.

After collecting enough candies, I finally added Gyarados and Dragonite to the Pokedex. However...

Gyarados got Twister instead of Hydro Pump.

Dragonite got Hyper Beam instead of Dragon Pulse. (Still a good move, but I was hoping to be able to use this against other Dragonites.)

FFS. TMs when, Niantic?
To make things worse, they've expanded the number of possible moves many Pokémon can have. All of them seem to be either worse or equal to the previous moves they could have, so the chances of evolving a Pokémon and getting good moves seems to be lower now.

Pachimari

I think pokemon go is slowing down in popularity in my town. There's a park with 3 stops right next to each other that were always lured. Now I don't remember the last time I saw a lure there...
The initial hype is over for sure but I don't mind. I'm in this for the long haul.

I really want a Kanghaskan and Tauros. Hopefully they'll figure out trading when the Gen II Pokemon have launched.

By the way, when I do my next mass evolve, I'm gonna evolve Eevee for the first time. Should I just evolve the three which has the highest CP?

Syntsui

The initial hype is over for sure but I don't mind. I'm in this for the long haul.

I really want a Kanghaskan and Tauros. Hopefully they'll figure out trading when the Gen II Pokemon have launched.

By the way, when I do my next mass evolve, I'm gonna evolve Eevee for the first time. Should I just evolve the three which has the highest CP?
If you are in for the long haul, don't bother evolving them before level 30. In the long haul, you will need a ridiculous amount of stardust to get them a decent amount of CP. So get to level 30, catch an Eevee with a good amount of CP and good IVs, and just then evolve it.

Everything you evolve right now is a waste.

If you are in for the long haul, don't bother evolving them before level 30. In the long haul, you will need a ridiculous amount of stardust to get them a decent amount of CP. So get to level 30, catch an Eevee with a good amount of CP and good IVs, and just then evolve it.

Everything you evolve right now is a waste.

what kind of advice is this? you gain stardust by taking over and holding gyms as well, it doesn't hurt you to use stardust to have a few strong pokemon, take over a few gyms quickly, and cash in like 2000 extra stardust a day.

I hatched another 10k egg, another Chansey. I now have 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom