• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

If you are in for the long haul, don't bother evolving them before level 30. In the long haul, you will need a ridiculous amount of stardust to get them a decent amount of CP. So get to level 30, catch an Eevee with a good amount of CP and good IVs, and just then evolve it.

Everything you evolve right now is a waste.
I'll be evolving the rest of my Pokemom with a lucky egg again, because that's the fastest way of leveling up I think.

But I'll wait with the Eevee's until I'm lvl 30.

cHinzo

The advice is get to lvl 30 lol? That would take weeks and it would be boring if you dont even have any good Pokemons to take over gyms.

hirokazu

If you are in for the long haul, don't bother evolving them before level 30. In the long haul, you will need a ridiculous amount of stardust to get them a decent amount of CP. So get to level 30, catch an Eevee with a good amount of CP and good IVs, and just then evolve it.

Everything you evolve right now is a waste.

Yeah, nah, even if you're in it for the long haul, you're gonna want good Pokémon to take gyms and earn coins for storage and bag upgrades, lucky eggs and incubators. That'll in turn help you progress in the game faster and encounter or hatch better Pokémon as you level up faster.

You're gonna have enough stardust to power up a couple high CP Pokémon as you level up, even if you're being conservative on stardust use.

So have there been a myriad of changes overnight or something?

Mr. Mimes seem to be in abundance, a friend mentioned moves changing too.

Is there a rundown anywhere?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The advice is get to lvl 30 lol? That would take weeks and it would be boring if you dont even have any good Pokemons to take over gyms.
yeah, sounds like a good way to ruin the game for yourself. I'd rather play the game normally than avoiding a chunk of the gameplay for so long that it gets boring and I feel like dropping it.

BowieZ

Banned
So have there been a myriad of changes overnight or something?

Mr. Mimes seem to be in abundance, a friend mentioned moves changing too.

Is there a rundown anywhere?
There's suddenly lots of Kangaskhans around Brisbane (AU); well, at least that appear on my nearby sightings (which is still almost impossible and pointless for me to use -- except when I happenstance upon them.)

But I've also noticed quite a lot more variety in general since about 3 days ago.

Pachimari

Gyurados got nerfed and lost the Dragonbreath move. If you already have one with that move, it won't be replaced. You just won't be able to get a Gyurados with that Dragonbreath move anymore.

I'm not sure that I like the change, so that you receive 25% in damage even if you dodge an attack. Having the lag in mind.

Dodging in gym battles has been nerfed. You'll now take minimum 25% damage for perfect dodge.

Some Pokemon move changes made overnight also
https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/news/819-new-movesets-and-dodge-reduction

When fighting last night I noticed that the dodging seemed to be nerfed definitely, and I couldn't basically dodge and slide around in a huge circle. My Pokemon can go about 2-3 swipes on each side and then there's just a tiny bit of them and you can't really dodge any more that direction.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah. Didn't anyone else notice their moonblast was removed from their Mew?
nope. I got 4 Mews today after they upped the region exclusives (it's the South America exclusive). I just checked their moves and moonblast is stil there.

it's joke

DrkSage

Gyurados got nerfed and lost the Dragonbreath move. If you already have one with that move, it won't be replaced. You just won't be able to get a Gyurados with that Dragonbreath move anymore.

I'm not sure that I like the change, so that you receive 25% in damage even if you dodge an attack. Having the lag in mind.

What?!?? Nooooo i still haven't gotten a gyarados with Dragonbreath 😭

208 magikarp candies.... So close yet so far... :/

Finding programming improvements to the tracker to be really fun (maybe even more fun than actually playing the game lol).

My tracker should be significantly more effecient at finding pokemon in areas where they are sparse.

How it works:
Niantic's server gives back 'nearby_pokemon' with 'wild_pokemon'
'nearby pokemon' are within 200m and 'wild pokemon' are within 70m. Wild pokemon are given with their exact locations but nearby are not.
Most trackers just look at the wild pokemon in the 70m area and spiral outwards checking every single possible cell, but I realised that if there is nothing in the 200m area then there is no reason to spiral out from that point because you know (assuming Niantic gives proper data for the nearby) there is nothing there! That saves at least 7 calls to Niantics servers to cover the 200 same area.
2nd case is when there is only one or two 'wild_pokemon' in the 200m area. Here the optimisation is to stop spiralling once I have found it.
3rd case is pidgey, ratatta, drowzee, jynx and other super commons. If they are the only thing in the 200m area then I have no interest in searching for them.

fVQkeYG.png

Here you can see my scan on a park. When I drive there I now know which side of the park spawns more Abra's in less than a minute.

udivision

So if trading ever becomes a thing, a "Gyarados with Dragonbreath" would be something that's actually valuable... interesting.

Is Tauros anywhere outside the USA? I'm from Mexico and I've never seen it on the radar and only saw one in a gym.
The gym was in a very touristic place so of course it could have been an American putting their Tauros in it.

what kind of advice is this? you gain stardust by taking over and holding gyms as well, it doesn't hurt you to use stardust to have a few strong pokemon, take over a few gyms quickly, and cash in like 2000 extra stardust a day.

I hatched another 10k egg, another Chansey. I now have 5.
2000 stardust is nothing. Thats like one level up. His way of doing it is much more efficient.

This game doesn't do a very good job at giving you any reason to level up what you catch. Unless it has some great IVs you're almost definitely going to catch a better version of that Pokémon when you get to a higher level. There have been multiple times when I've been leveling something up with stardust only to run into that Pokemon with better CP in the wild.

Ezalc

I find it bullshit that there are region exclusive pokemon and the newer regions instead of having some kind exclusives just have to miss out on a whole 4 pokemon because Niantic can't be bothered to just unite America as a whole with Tauros, entirety of Asia with Farfetch'd, Afria and Europe with Mr. Mime and I guess all of Oceania with Kangaskhan. Thanks a lot dicks.

I want a Kangas :( stupid region exclusives :/

I find it bullshit that there are region exclusive pokemon and the newer regions instead of having some kind exclusives just have to miss out on a whole 4 pokemon because Niantic can't be bothered to just unite America as a whole with Tauros, entirety of Asia with Farfetch'd, Afria and Europe with Mr. Mime and I guess all of Oceania with Kangaskhan. Thanks a lot dicks.

no wonder people spoof GPS

that exclusive thing is not a popular concept

At 121 eggs hatched now and have gotten nothing.

The few 10kms I've gotten were an Eevee, Onix, Scyther, Magmar and Hitmonlee, and I'd already gotten a 100% Magmar and 97% Hitmonlee in the wild.
Still none of the rare ones or fossils (need that candy).
No Porygon or anything else from 5kms, but stuff to evolve which is the usual.
2kms are trash, one Squirtle and Pikachu, no other starters or fairy mons (have enough candy to evolve Clefairy now but I need to hatch a good IV one!). Still at 14 Charmander candy since launch.
Though I am happy that Geodude is at like 80 candy despite only ever catching 5 max in the wild, them being in 2kms is a godsend.

no wonder people spoof GPS

that exclusive thing is not a popular concept
Pokemon Go
Out and See the World

In terms of popularity, it was just poorly handled. If they delayed release a bit to hammer out its flaws,they'd maintain their massive base of ppl.

Otherwise I'm getting a Twitch plays Pokemon vibe. Wild popularity at the start, then immediate fade into nothing due to bad decisions.

At 121 eggs hatched now and have gotten nothing.

The few 10kms I've gotten were an Eevee, Onix, Scyther, Magmar and Hitmonlee, and I'd already gotten a 100% Magmar and 97% Hitmonlee in the wild.
Still none of the rare ones or fossils (need that candy).
No Porygon or anything else from 5kms, but stuff to evolve which is the usual.
2kms are trash, one Squirtle and Pikachu, no other starters or fairy mons (have enough candy to evolve Clefairy now but I need to hatch a good IV one!). Still at 14 Charmander candy since launch.
Though I am happy that Geodude is at like 80 candy despite only ever catching 5 max in the wild, them being in 2kms is a godsend.

Pokemon Go
Out and See the World

egg hatching is suppose to be the way you get around the region exclusive mess but after 100+ eggs I don't see it that way lol

2000 stardust is nothing. Thats like one level up. His way of doing it is much more efficient.

This game doesn't do a very good job at giving you any reason to level up what you catch. Unless it has some great IVs you're almost definitely going to catch a better version of that Pokémon when you get to a higher level. There have been multiple times when I've been leveling something up with stardust only to run into that Pokemon with better CP in the wild.

I'm level 27 and even with all the pokemon I capture with with the many high cp, their IV are usually horrible, and my hatched ones are good iv but most times lower cp than what I capture in the wild. 2000 stardust is equal to capturing 20 wild pokemon, I have capped 4 gyms in like 15 minutes though I drive around to get to them so on foot maybe it's not quite as efficient.

I don't understand how you can say things that constantly give you more xp is not efficient. I have like 1.2 million xp it's not like I would have more if I did less.

Ezalc

Pokemon Go
Out and See the World

Ah yes let me spend thousands in my local currency just to go out and get a fucking farfetch'd. The stupid thing is, come trading time, all those region exclusives will get some super high bullshit requests and the regions without it won't be able to do anything. I guess there will be some people who aren't assholes and would trade to others so they can at least register the pokemon, but fuck, good luck getting those perfect IV ones for those of you who care.

Also, in the name of pokemon lore, Mew should be exclusive to South America then.

adamy

Banned
i like the fact that there are region exclusives

Ah yes let me spend thousands in my local currency just to go out and get a fucking farfetch'd. The stupid thing is, come trading time, all those region exclusives will get some super high bullshit requests and the regions without it won't be able to do anything. I guess there will be some people who aren't assholes and would trade to others so they can at least register the pokemon, but fuck, good luck getting those perfect IV ones for those of you who care.

Also, in the name of pokemon lore, Mew should be exclusive to South America then.

pretty sure trading wont be an issue as long as places like gaf exist

also i dont get this part of your post:

The stupid thing is, come trading time, all those region exclusives will get some super high bullshit requests and the regions without it won't be able to do anything.

regions without what? without pokemon that people want? that doesnt make sense, every region has access to high IV good pokemon...?

Ah yes let me spend thousands in my local currency just to go out and get a fucking farfetch'd.
Hey man I just caught a Mr Mime (or two) today and I'm Australian.

To be fair I had booked this trip before Pokemon Go released :p

Planning on hitting Japan next year too.

if they trading online or code based I'm sure Gaffers will help each other

Pachimari

I hate it that I don't know how to do this whole IV thing. I have 5 Eevee's but is not sure which ones to evolve because I don't know their IV's.

Have they fixed the catch rate yet? Or is the new rate the norm now? I stopped playing about 2-3 weeks ago when everything was running after a single throw. It's definitely killed the fun for me and my gf, we were going out 2-3 times per week to catch Pokemon.

Damn. Gengar sludge wave replaced with sludge bomb, making it significantly better.

Sucks for me since I've got a maxed out Gengar with sludge wave that I pumped loads of dust into, purely cause he's my favourite mon. Now he's not as good as a mediocre Gengar with sludge bomb :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom