• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorMane

I'm noticing that this tier list was updated with the stats of Mewtwo, Mew, and the Legendary Birds. Did I miss something?

b1095e5bdaba40f05db1a1a3df04abee.png

Moff

So whenever hatching eggs is it worth activating a Lucky Egg right before they hatch if you time it right? What kind of XP does hatching eggs yield?
I'd save the lucky eggs for an evolve fest with 50 weedles and pidgeys
each evolve gives 500xp, that's as much as a 5km egg, a 10km egg gives a 1000 but that's still only a minor bonus compared to the xp of the evolves

Spacejaws

Anybody else have the problem where it logs in fine then after about 10 seconds after the map loads and pokestops appear it says No GPS found?

Im on wifi and location services is on and I can see it. Really annoying as I work at a place that has constant lures and twice I log in see an electrabuzz and before I can catch it I get this GPS nonsense. Sucks aswell because I run at work too and after a 1 mile run my eggs have not advanced. Was hoping the internal pedometer would take precedant if gps was spotty.

As I said I'm exclusively on wifi here. :(

KHlover

Banned
Just before I got home I came across a plaza with eight Pokestops which were all equipped with Lure modules. Asked around and found the guys who bought the Lures, apparently they had kept all eight Pokestops equipped with Lure modules for three hours at that point. Also were using Luck Eggs the entire time.

This is how Niantic makes $$$

When I came by about 50 people or so were sitting there :D

SalvaPot

Wait, there's a lot of people on Reddit saying you can get soft banned for playing in a car? What kind of shit is that?

Nah, what happens is that it doesn't register the steps for the egg, so you get "soft-banned" in that you can't incubate eggs, that is all. You can still catch pokemon, pass through pokestops, even get gyms if you are fast enough.

Hopefully just hearsay and fake rumors. As I play the game quite often in the car when my girlfriend drives. Mainly to hit any pokestop we drive by.
It makes no sense. How would they know its not a bus or some other form of public transport?

Nah, what happens is that it doesn't register the steps for the egg, so you get "soft-banned" in that you can't incubate eggs, that is all. You can still catch pokemon, pass through pokestops, even get gyms if you are fast enough.
That makes much more sense. Ingress did the same speed-check with the badges that measured your distance walked to make sure you were walking or biking it instead of riding in a vehicle.(in Ingress, you needed to hit achievements along with an exp count to level up past Level 8)

Just before I got home I came across a plaza with eight Pokestops which were all equipped with Lure modules. Asked around and found the guys who bought the Lures, apparently they had kept all eight Pokestops equipped with Lure modules for three hours at that point. Also were using Luck Eggs the entire time.

There's a park in the Orlando area that has four very close pokestops and they all have lure virtually 24/7. I'm not sure if it the same people or what but it's a little scary unless those people control several gyms that has got to get costly. Magikarp spawn pretty frequently so I guess it's a good area, but still seems like a bad way to spen ones money.

There's a park in the Orlando area that has four very close pokestops and they all have lure virtually 24/7. I'm not sure if it the same people or what but it's a little scary unless those people control several gyms that has got to get costly. Magikarp spawn pretty frequently so I guess it's a good area, but still seems like a bad way to spen ones money.

Is that up near Altamonte Springs, or Lake Eola?

It's a bit far to travel for pokemon for me, but they have been adding pokestops. I was actually about to go fetch some pokeballs, right now at the triple spot in my dinky little Nowheresville.

Jonbo298

I'm convinced Nearby is more broken than we think. Late last night I had 2 Scyther's bounce around between 1st position and the others. I kept changing directions when it dropped spots. Never found it. I'd have a pidgey in the third spot spawn instead or a weedle in the second spot spawn but never the Scyther in the first position. I was also not near a lured stop on this lost cause of a walk.

Is that up near Altamonte Springs, or Lake Eola?

It's a bit far to travel for pokemon for me, but they have been adding pokestops. I was actually about to go fetch some pokeballs, right now at the triple spot in my dinky little Nowheresville.
It's Cranes Roost Park in Altamonte springs.

I'm convinced Nearby is more broken than we think. Late last night I had 2 Scyther's bounce around between 1st position and the others. I kept changing directions when it dropped spots. Never found it. I'd have a pidgey in the third spot spawn instead or a weedle in the second spot spawn but never the Scyther in the first position. I was also not near a lured stop on this lost cause of a walk.
I'm pretty sure there's some pretty significant lag with the tracker. I've had stuff that was last on the list pop up right next to me.

Arrrammis

Do not cheat either in Ingress or Pokemon Go, you've been warned.

Cnq2QQhWcAAMeJ6.jpg

https://plus.google.com/communities/109504194485246856888

I don't understand why this person or other people think they need a GPS spoofer to play the game, even if it's not released in their country. With Android you can just download the APK to play and I believe (I am not super familiar with apple store stuff) you can download the app from the app store of a different country which has it available.

Yeah, the tracking has way more issues than people often talk about. A big one that I hate is that it won't remove pokemon from the tracker until it fills up (you see 9 pokemon on the tracker) and finds more pokemon to replace them with. This means if you go for a 10 km walk, if you see 7 pokemon show up in the first kilometer and then only one more shows up for the rest of the walk, 7 of the 8 pokemon on your tracker will be 9 kilometers away, yet still be listed as if they're nearby. The only way I've found to get around this is to completely close and re-open the app whenever I notice the tracker getting full.

You only really have to do that once or twice to get to level 20, at which point I don't think I'd grind anymore.

I've got lures / incense / lucky eggs, just from playing. Hoping to evolve stuff once I get enough pidgeys / weedles to Level me up to 20 or so. Hoping to hit level 12-13 just by prepping for that.

smisk

I'm getting to the point where I'm rarely seeing new types - still lots of pidgeys and ratattas. Though I did catch a Touros the other night.

Fox Mulder

Kinda burning out on this game, on my daily walks in the park I only ever find the same 5-6 types of Pokémon.

Yep. I've only seen 60 different pokemon and it's been days since I got a brand new one. Always the same shit now and I'm not even half way through pokedex.

I don't understand why this person or other people think they need a GPS spoofer to play the game, even if it's not released in their country. With Android you can just download the APK to play and I believe (I am not super familiar with apple store stuff) you can download the app from the app store of a different country which has it available.

In many places, like where I am in the Caribbean, you can download the game and get your starter Pokémon, but nothing else appears. No Pokémon, no Gyms, no Pokestops. It's just empty until Niantic flip the switch.

To play the game from home and still be able to hit gyms and Pokestops I guess.

Meier

I often don't get items from Pokéstops. It just turns purple and tells me to come back later. Then I get the 50exp and that's it. So am I soft banned? Thought it was because of the slow servers. Playing from the car or the bus here and there...

Have you checked if your bag is full? If it is, you'll get the XP but no items. Pokeballs take inventory spots so if you're hitting up lots of Stops, make sure to ditch some things.

Jonbo298

I'm pretty sure there's some pretty significant lag with the tracker. I've had stuff that was last on the list pop up right next to me.

I'm just not even going to bother walking around looking for them if that's the case and just use lured PokeStops until this is fixed. Sitting in a drive thru last night also had a Wartortle in the first spot but a Zubat in the sixth position spawned.

molnizzle

you have to go to different locations the same pokemon are always in the same areas

I've been all around my city, same shit everywhere. Every now and then I luck out and see something random like Ghastly. The other 95% of the time it's Pidgey, Rattata, Zubat, Spearow.

yaaaaawn

Since spawns are based on cellular traffic if you're in a country the game isn't out in you aren't going to be seeing Pokemon. I also imagine there aren't any pokestops or gyms up until the game goes live either.

I mean I live in a suburbs where the properties are fairly large so there aren't a ton of people around. I'll go for a 2 hour walk and if I'm lucky find 8 Pokemon and forget about finding something besides Pidgey, Rattata, and Weevil. I can't imagine what it's like in rural place where the game isn't live yet. I can totally see the appeal.

I've been all around my city, same shit everywhere. Every now and then I luck out and see something random like Ghastly. The other 95% of the time it's Pidgey, Rattata, Zubat, Spearow.

yaaaaawn
There really should be way to track nests. Somehow at this point I still haven't seen a single other Squirlte besides my starter pick, but I've caught about 10 Bulbsaurs.

Arrrammis

In many places, like where I am in the Caribbean, you can download the game and get your starter Pokémon, but nothing else appears. No Pokémon, no Gyms, no Pokestops. It's just empty until Niantic flip the switch.

Huh, i didn't realize that. Have you looked at the Ingress stops for your area? If there aren't any Ingress portals, then there won't be any pokestops until somebody submits them and Niantic approves them. When I downloaded the APK in the USA 2 days before the official release, there were pokemon, pokestops, and gyms available, but maybe that's just because it was one of the next countries to be released.

So does anybody know if save data is saved to the profile you sign into the game with (Google or Pokemon Account)?

I wanna get a new phone and carrier, but not sure if the data is local or on the game's servers.

True Fire

Wait, there's a lot of people on Reddit saying you can get soft banned for playing in a car? What kind of shit is that?

Pokemon Go's soft bans are pathetic. They just screw with your spawns and item generation for a few hours, and then everything goes back to normal. I have a second account on my PC and I've been teleporting to Antarctica and shit, and they've literally just been tutting.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Huh, i didn't realize that. Have you looked at the Ingress stops for your area? If there aren't any Ingress portals, then there won't be any pokestops until somebody submits them and Niantic approves them. When I downloaded the APK in the USA 2 days before the official release, there were pokemon, pokestops, and gyms available, but maybe that's just because it was one of the next countries to be released.

they turned all the portals and places from ingress into pokestops and gyms so as long as where ever you are at had a ingress playerbase there will be pokestops and gyms

SpartanN92

Banned
How does the game calculate distances walked? Is it by physical movement like a pedometer or is it by gps distance with mph taken into account?

Basically I'm asking can I hatch eggs on a treadmill/elliptical?

Lucumo

*logs on*
*sees Golduck*
*wastes tons of Hyperballs on it*
*ball freezes*
*restarts app*
*sees Golduck was captured*
*is happy*

Not the best CP but at least it's in the Pokedex now.

I stopped playing Pokemon X a few months back b/c I just didn't like it. Everything about it seemed really simple and easy. It just didn't click with me. This game is really making me want to play an actual Pokemon game again, ugh.

yaaaaawn

This is the same for me. I get the random new pokemon here and there but a lot of times it's the same all over the place which I think is driving the comment above. I want to be able to travel and collect Pokemon without having to travel. I just had a minor surgery procedure on my groin, can't really walk a lot right now :(

Acinixys

Can confirm

Myself and a ton of friends in South Africa and Namibia have been playing since the game lauched with zero issues. Apart from the server BS everyone has been dealing with

Meier

When I downloaded the APK in the USA 2 days before the official release, there were pokemon, pokestops, and gyms available, but maybe that's just because it was one of the next countries to be released.

It's not always a 1 to 1 translation until they enable them even in the US. It took about 4-5 days for most of Austin to be active after the game's release.. right around 5:00 PM last Monday or Tuesday (forget which it was), the city essentially went live.

Yes, Ingress works fine here. I can switch from Pokémon Go's ghost town of a map to Ingress, where I immediately see the two nearest Portals to me.

EDIT: Sometime last week, it seems Pokémon Go worked fine as well for like an hour. But since then, nothing. Probably a mistake.

Muku

You got a Chansey out of a 10km egg? Lucky. I've gotten two 10km. One had Lapras (yay), and last nights yielded an Eevee (WTF ugh).

I wish being by a hospital would yield Chansey. I mean.. it only makes sense. x_x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom