• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Some people on reddit who were able to look at the game's code think that the hard cap is lvl. 40, but we won't know for sure until somebody hits that. If someone spends that much time on the game, then yes, they will probably be able to dominate the gyms in their area. However, it seems like even gyms with absurdly strong pokemon in them can be beaten by a trainer with a half-decent team who knows how to dodge and use type advantage, so the system isn't too broken in that sense.

CP rises approximately with respect to sqrt(level), so trainer level 5 is to trainer level 10 as trainer level 10 is to trainer level 20. There's also very sharp reduction in CP/level from pokemon level 60 (trainer level 30) onwards; it almost halves. Basically, once you reach level 20, you can be competitive anywhere, pretty much, because you've hit the game's first soft cap, and once you've hit 30, there's not even that much point to levelling any more, because you've hit the second one.

Yeah, my main worry is that people would just abuse the XP doubler to get to a really high level, to a point where they could pretty much just generate Pokemon that would outclass anything trained by more casual players. It's interesting to learn that the soft level cap is relatively low (20). Is there a Reddit post where people have worked all of this out?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
You know what might make me play this forever? if they made it that if you reach level 40 you get gen 2 pokemon...60 gen 3...etc...

I know the game has just came out, but I wonder how and when they will add more pokemon.

Anyone playing XY/ORAS more because of this game?

we will for sure be getting the other gens how they will be implemented no idea

Arrrammis

Yeah, my main worry is that people would just abuse the XP doubler to get to a really high level, to a point where they could pretty much just generate Pokemon that would outclass anything trained by more casual players. It's interesting to learn that the soft level cap is relatively low (20). Is there a Reddit post where people have worked all of this out?

The subreddit is where I see most of the technical information and testing: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad . It's pretty good, they find a lot of stuff like How often incense actually spawns pokemon or a full type advantage chart with damage multipliers. It's pretty useful if you are looking to find the most efficient way to do things in the game.

Moff

In many places, like where I am in the Caribbean, you can download the game and get your starter Pokémon, but nothing else appears. No Pokémon, no Gyms, no Pokestops. It's just empty until Niantic flip the switch.

is it really just a switch?
was ingress released in the caribbean?
if not, don't they or even the players need to "build" all the pokestops and gyms first?
In other regions like mine we had pokestops and gyms a week before the official launch, everything was already there

PSFan

Aren't they just soft bans? You can't collect from stops and you can't catch anyone. At least that's what I read yesterday if it happens. Would be better to avoid it obviously though.

Again, more BS. I've literally driven my car to pokestops and used them no problem and caught Pokemon as well. I've even caught stuff and used stops being a passenger in a moving car as well. There is no soft ban.

Sendou

Dunno what's this about soft bans but earlier today we went for a Pokémon hunt with my sister. She was driving and I was using the app as we drove trying to check out for Pokémon and use PokéStops. When we went for the actual walk she got 3x more Pokémon than me (she still got the same Pokémon as me but also got extra I never saw).

EDIT: Oh and also got way better stuff from PokéStops. I kept getting 3 PokéBalls and she got eggs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
m67hIaE.png
whoa. long gone, sadly

PSFan

Dunno what's this about soft bans but earlier today we went for a Pokémon hunt with my sister. She was driving and I was using the app as we drove trying to check out for Pokémon and use PokéStops. When we went for the actual walk she got 3x more Pokémon than me (she still got the same Pokémon as me but also got extra I never saw).

EDIT: Oh and also got way better stuff from PokéStops. I kept getting 3 PokéBalls and she got eggs.

Did she use an incense? Because that will cause her to get Pokemon you won't see and more of them than you as well.

Costia

Are you the same level?
AFAIK you can only have 9 eggs, so if you already have 9 you won't get any more, and if she didn't have 9, then she would get them from pokestops.

NVM

Sendou

Did she use an incense? Because that will cause her to get Pokemon you won't see and more of them than you as well.

We both used incense when we started walking.

Oh and btw after 1 hour (pretty sharp actually) we both started seeing the same Pokémon again.

Chaos17

I shared the cool video of Pokemon Go Chicago meeting that someone shared page ago on Reddit Gaming, result ? They're nagging about the song been not well sang, lmao! Really can't people just be happy of cool video gaming event ? /facepalm

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Knowing my luck, it would be below 100CP. Walked around the block searching for a nearby Victreebell and met it with 32CP. I have a Bellsprout literally more than 10x more powerful (at 334).
For pokemon I don't have in the pokedex yet, I'll gladly run after them even if they wind up being at 10cp. Eevee actually aren't that easy to come by around here.

Disguises

Just curious - has anyone exchanged their Moto X Play successfully for something with a gyrroscope? Like a Moto X Style?

I'm hoping to do so - I can play Go but it's not worth it to play it without AR ...
You mean some others have already done so? I have a Moto X Play and was very happy with it until I found out it had a lack of gyro after playing GO.

Does a 2nd tier evolution yield more or the same experience than a 1st tier evolution? For example, I currently have 85 Pidgey candies. It costs 50 to evolve a Pidgeotto to a Pidgeot. Does that give me more experience or does it make more sense to just grind out Pidgy > Pidgeotto evolutions with the Lucky Egg for 12 Candies per pop to farm XP?

Owari

How is anyone really having fun with this game as broken as it is? The three step bug completely kills the most fun element of this game.

I'm level 14 and I basically haven't touched the gyms so far.

So you get 10 coins and some dust every 21 hours? Meh.
Doesn't seem like a big deal. Is there any other point in visiting gyms?

I mainly just want to catch 'em all.

Hikami

How is anyone really having fun with this game as broken as it is? The three step bug completely kills the most fun element of this game.

I go to my local park and sit by a lure module'd Pokestop and hang out with the people there.
The 3 step bug does kill my motivation to actually walk around and find Pokemon though :/

The 3 step bug is annoying but the tracking element works for me sometimes regardless. (As it approaches the top leftmost point of the "grid", the closer it is to your position going in a zig zag pattern from (furthest to closest):

bottom right > bottom left > middle right > middle left > top right > top left

Generate

Banned
The 3 step bug is annoying but the tracking element works for me sometimes regardless. (As it approaches the top leftmost point of the "grid", the closer it is to your position going in a zig zag pattern from (furthest to closest):

bottom right > bottom left > middle right > middle left > top right > top left

can you draw a picture?

Just went on a 3 or so hour Pokemon Go bike ride. Gyms are really hard to keep down in my town. I biked back and forth a couple times between gyms to reclaim them just so I could redeem the most rewards from the shop as I possibly could. I wanted to have 4 gyms at once before doing it, but it was sorta impossible. I ended up settling on 3.

On my way back to a gym that I was ready to retake over, I saw a few different groups of people standing around the area, all on different teams. One person said they were just taking over the gyms over and over again from each other, and just putting weak pokemon in its place so that they could get XP off of each other easily. I wanted the shop points, so I just put a CP 10 pidgey there for a sec so I could at least have 3 gyms before getting the coins and stuff.

What mounts did you guys end up getting? I'm interested in getting one if I can fix up my bike.

This one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013MDDEDG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Might be the angle but does that not totally interfere with your left hand on the grip...? .

I moved it a smidge over, but my hand still fits well on the outer half of the bar.

Does a 2nd tier evolution yield more or the same experience than a 1st tier evolution? For example, I currently have 85 Pidgey candies. It costs 50 to evolve a Pidgeotto to a Pidgeot. Does that give me more experience or does it make more sense to just grind out Pidgy > Pidgeotto evolutions with the Lucky Egg for 12 Candies per pop to farm XP?
All evolutions regardless of pokemon or evolution stage give 500xp, so you're best just doing whatever you can do the easiest :p

Sadist

It's so frustrating seeing shadows of Kingler, Haunter, Ghastly, Bellsprout and more but you can't find them :(

Okay, the random Seel today made something right though.

So I've been tinkering with the scanner that some dudes over on /vg/ developed using Python, and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm not sure how against the rules or not it is, but if anyone has some general locations and they wanna see what's nearby, I can take a pic for you.

For example, here's a picture of my local college town that I use to hunt around in that I just made.

Again, if this is ill-advised I'll back off, just wanted to see if anyone wanted some help pinpointing some rare mon's.

Kyonashi

My housemate is convinced different eggs give different XP rewards for hatching, etc. 2km gives 200XP, 5km gives 500XP, 10km gives 1000XP - but no guides I've read online mention differing egg rewards. Any truth to this?

Trying to figure out the real XP bonuses from hatching/evolving, so much conflicting info online.

You mean some others have already done so? I have a Moto X Play and was very happy with it until I found out it had a lack of gyro after playing GO.

Yeah, I'm hoping the path to upgrading my Moto X Play isn't too pricy lol (I got it as part of the Koodo deal that happened on Boxing Day)

So I've been tinkering with the scanner that some dudes over on /vg/ developed using Python, and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm not sure how against the rules or not it is, but if anyone has some general locations and they wanna see what's nearby, I can take a pic for you.

For example, here's a picture of my local college town that I use to hunt around in that I just made.

Again, if this is ill-advised I'll back off, just wanted to see if anyone wanted some help pinpointing some rare mon's.

Link to the scanner?

Moff

I need this, how does it work

Wait what the heck is that? Like a long range ping to find Pokemon? Or is it just a map with manually placed spawns?

If I knew where to reliably find Abras I'd probably drive a good 30mins to them.

Arrrammis

Pretty interesting concept. I can see how some people would want to find the locations of rare pokemon on their own, but having the locations of a few that consistently spawn is a cool resource.

I need this, how does it work

Basically uses a Pokemon trainer login combined with gmaps flask to fetch pokemon locations.

It also gives you a timeline of how long they have left until despawn.

You can input either coordinates or a direct address or general location.

Link to the github:

You just need a basic understanding of Python to get it running. https://github.com/AHAAAAAAA/PokemonGo-Map/

Wait what the heck is that? Like a long range ping to find Pokemon? Or is it just a map with manually placed spawns?

If I knew where to reliably find Abras I'd probably drive a good 30mins to them.

Nope, plus that would be cheating and not very fun. This is just a nice way to tell you exactly where to go and how long you have until something despawns, its very nice and in my opinion harmless, hopefully it doesn't lead to any more malicious tampering of the data.

Ashodin

whaaaaaaat. this seems against the nature of the game.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Is anyone else having trouble logging in? Getting the try again later thing all day now, but several people at work are able to play just fine..

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Hey it's West Chester!

L Thammy

Is it better to raise Pokemon from their starting form or does it not matter? Because I've got a CP 103 Drowzee and a CP 155 Hypno, seem to be my best so far.

Anarion07

I'd love to know what's in Unterhaching, Munich, Germany.
Do you need coordinates?

Vuze

This is amazing, thanks for the link. Especially useful since the in-game mechanic for this is borked for the time being.

---

Is there a way to drop eggs? Kinda don't want to "waste" distance for 2km Poke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom