• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

Basically uses a Pokemon trainer login combined with gmaps flask to fetch pokemon locations.

It also gives you a timeline of how long they have left until despawn.

You can input either coordinates or a direct address or general location.

Link to the github:

You just need a basic understanding of Python to get it running. https://github.com/AHAAAAAAA/PokemonGo-Map/

Nope, plus that would be cheating and not very fun. This is just a nice way to tell you exactly where to go and how long you have until something despawns, its very nice and in my opinion harmless, hopefully it doesn't lead to any more malicious tampering of the data.

great find :)

I sent you a PM ;)

My housemate is convinced different eggs give different XP rewards for hatching, etc. 2km gives 200XP, 5km gives 500XP, 10km gives 1000XP - but no guides I've read online mention differing egg rewards. Any truth to this?

Trying to figure out the real XP bonuses from hatching/evolving, so much conflicting info online.
Evolving is always 500xp no matter what. Eggs give xp based on their distance in the numbers you've stated as far as I'm aware. If the pokemon that hatches or the pokemon something evolves into isn't on your pokedex you still get the 500xp bonus for a 'new' pokemon on top of these values.

zulux21

So I've been tinkering with the scanner that some dudes over on /vg/ developed using Python, and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm not sure how against the rules or not it is, but if anyone has some general locations and they wanna see what's nearby, I can take a pic for you.

For example, here's a picture of my local college town that I use to hunt around in that I just made.

Again, if this is ill-advised I'll back off, just wanted to see if anyone wanted some help pinpointing some rare mon's.

this is really nifty and one step farther than I wanted.

I'll have to talk to the wife about this before I inquire farther if she wants to use something like that.

Vaux

I use to play ingress and GPS spoofing use to be a problem. Just curious if that is happening with the Pokemon Go.

this is really nifty and one step farther than I wanted.

I'll have to talk to the wife about this before I inquire farther if she wants to use something like that.

Yeah definitely, I completely understand that to some people, the allure is totally about not knowing what you're going to find.

Luckily its not a very easily accessible tool as of yet, but I'm sure with the game's popularity, there'll be websites and easy to use tools for it very soon. So I'm torn.

Lucumo

Nope, plus that would be cheating and not very fun. This is just a nice way to tell you exactly where to go and how long you have until something despawns, its very nice and in my opinion harmless, hopefully it doesn't lead to any more malicious tampering of the data.

That does seem like cheating though.

Ashodin

Yup! I'm really close by, its a great Go spot.

I'm really not sure how you figure. It doesn't allow you to capture the pokemon, and the game does a basic job of it by giving you the distance meters. Personally, with how broken the pawprint system is right now, this is extremely convienent.

It does with the pawprint system, but this is straight up information that can be gleaned and used to exploit the absolute position of Pokemon. Meaning, players can use it to get the advantage on other players who don't use it to get more of the Pokemon they need/want.

EX: I have a strong Pokemon at the gym nearby, that is weak to Fighting. I know in the area that fighting types are extremely rare. An individual using this could go find the Fighting types that are nearby with pinpoint accuracy with this device and get the drop on my Pokemon.

jennetics

I wonder if Niantic will ever give away a few lucky eggs and poke/great balls for whenever the servers went down, or the game froze on the catching screen.

Kinda like a "Sorry 'bout that!"

It's a little annoying, though, whenever I see how Niantic's servers have been "humbled" by us trying to play.

It turns an apology into more of a
tumblr_m4hfuy1pwW1r4gei2o8_400.gif

for me

Toki767

I wonder if Niantic will ever give away a few lucky eggs and poke/great balls for whenever the servers went down, or the game froze on the catching screen.

Kinda like a "Sorry 'bout that!"

It's a little annoying, though, whenever I see how Niantic's servers have been "humbled" by us trying to play.

It turns an apology into more of a
tumblr_m4hfuy1pwW1r4gei2o8_400.gif

for me

Best thing to do is probably to just give everyone 500 pokecoins or something to spend on whatever they want.

That does seem like cheating though.

I guess it all depends on the opinion of the person. You still have to physically go to that location and you still have to catch that pokemon, it can still get away, and other players are all able to get the same information as well, especially if someone works to make this more accessible.

Like I've said I can remove the post if anyone else feels like its an unfair advantdage, but its already out there.

I personally would rather see people doing this than full blown cheating like some twitch users have been doing.

But it's been nice for me to check if there's any intersting mons near my usual dog walking park every morning.

zulux21

Things usually not said while talking about pokemon.
:p
Yeah definitely, I completely understand that to some people, the allure is totally about not knowing what you're going to find.

Luckily its not a very easily accessible tool as of yet, but I'm sure with the game's popularity, there'll be websites and easy to use tools for it very soon. So I'm torn.

my ideal thing would be something like this on a small scale, where once I get close enough if I want to track down something I can without to much issue. The idea of a rare pokemon pinging on my game is enough excitement for me to go track it down with a proper radar to get it, I don't also need some barely functioning step system to make it impossible to hunt down things I want.

The three step bug hasn't really changed the way I play as anything beyond 1 step I was ignoring anyways because anything I wanted would always vanish before we could find it anyways.

I guess it all depends on the opinion of the person. You still have to physically go to that location and you still have to catch that pokemon, it can still get away, and other players are all able to get the same information as well, especially if someone works to make this more accessible.

Like I've said I can remove the post if anyone else feels like its an unfair advantdage, but its already out there.

I personally would rather see people doing this than full blown cheating like some twitch users have been doing.

But it's been nice for me to check if there's any intersting mons near my usual dog walking park every morning.

post should be fine, no one is forcing anyone to use it, and in general the game doesn't have much direct competition so it's not like it's existence will really effect things to much.

I mean someone having the money to constantly buy incubators/lures/incense/lucky eggs are way more balance breaking for PVP than being able to see where stuff pings in your area and trying to get there before they vanish.

Basically uses a Pokemon trainer login combined with gmaps flask to fetch pokemon locations.

Link to the github:

You just need a basic understanding of Python to get it running. https://github.com/AHAAAAAAA/PokemonGo-Map/

If anyone uses this, remember to create a throw away account.

Owari

the nearby list dosnt require money just have to learn how to read it
The rest of the solutions you mentioned require money, and the nearby list only works for commons. I chased a golduck, ninetails, and magneton for hours in every conceivable direction, with lures and incense placed. It just doesn't work. They hop around the radar endlessly. The game is broken.

EL CUCO

Just got out of work and servers crap themselves. Been moderately playing for most of the day with no issues (just your occasional restarting). Now that I got some free time for hardcore play, can't do anything...

There's no way I can spend any real money on the game with how it's currently functioning.

Lucumo

Well, you can sit at home, test some locations around you and when you find a Pokemon you want, drive there. It actually takes the whole exploration aspect away from the game. Why scour the town with a friend when you can instead just look it up?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'll just drop in here with some quick questions; I tried to power up my Raticate to the full bar, but when I try and power him up that last bit, GO tells me I'm not high level enough to do that. When will I be high level enough to do that? I have also noticed twice now that my Raticate lost some CP / CP bar.... somehow... Is this a glitch? is it related to trying to power them up but not being 'high level' enough (whatever that may mean)?

Permanently A

I'll just drop in here with some quick questions; I tried to power up my Raticate to the full bar, but when I try and power him up that last bit, GO tells me I'm not high level enough to do that. When will I be high level enough to do that? I have also noticed twice now that my Raticate lost some CP / CP bar.... somehow... Is this a glitch? is it related to trying to power them up but not being 'high level' enough (whatever that may mean)?

When your trainer levels up, the CP bar cap increases. Meaning your say 372 Raticate is still a 372 Raticate, but the dot on the arc went back since the overall CP ceiling is now increased because you leveled up.

Vuze

heh kotaku just posted a piece about an app that does what we are discussing
The map is powered by the Pokémon Go community, however, so it’s possible for trolls to drop rare pokémon all over the place.
Welp :p

Anyway, the python script is amazing. Even shows you when the Pokemon despawns when you click on it and is able to render Pokestops and gyms as well. Perfect for planning a small triparound the neighborhood.

brb catching those two Pidgeys I need to evolve my Pidgeotto :D

E: Just reporting back, both were completly accurate. Pidgeot GET! Done for today after endlessly running in circles thanks to the broken distance meter...

Link to the github:

This is basically reverse engineering of the communication with the server and within literally a day will see people submit "assistant" apps which will be able to warp you to the location of any pokemon you enter, or warp you around gyms, or alert you of any pokemon you are after without having to run the Pokemon app and anything else.

Mark my words, within days or as fast as the app stores allow it, they will launch these and the game will be effectively hacked out of any resemblance to actual effort or luck or anything else but willingness to use one of these tools.

This is basically reverse engineering of the communication with the server and within literally a day will see people submit "assistant" apps which will be able to warp you to the location of any pokemon you enter, or warp you around gyms, or alert you of any pokemon you are after without having to run the Pokemon app and anything else.

Mark my words, within days or as fast as the app stores allow it, they will launch these and the game will be effectively hacked out of any resemblance to actual effort or luck or anything else but willingness to use one of these tools.

I assumed as much.

The difference is that people warping around from spawn to spawn should be fairly obvious and hopefully banned.

We already have GPS spoofers using emulators on twitch getting softbanned, I'm sure Niantic would take SOME action.

The people worried about soft bans/feel like they've already experienced them for the crime of driving around/not walking: I kind of think everyone's assuming soft bans when actually it's just glitchy servers. I've definitely gotten the thing where you spin a Pokestop and it tells you to try again even though it's still blue, or it spins and turns purple but doesn't give you anything but the 50XP, but I don't drive. I do take transit, but I've had the glitch happen to me in the middle of a long walk and success for the entirety of a streetcar trip. I really don't think it's a soft ban.

Re: the Python stuff. A few things about it: one, I don't think anyone's gotten it to run on a phone yet. Right now, you'd have to be wardriving to take advantage of this while on the go, and while I think that's a possibility/is totally happening, it's probably a very very small number of users. Two, you'll need to sign up for a secondary PTC account (i.e. don't use your main you idiot), and PTC account creation is throttled right now. Three, in my experience, it's flaky as hell; I've never gotten it to load a full map. Because it's also reliant on a PTC login, any PTC flakiness magnifies the issues. Four, it doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to harden the API to stuff like this. You probably can't completely eliminate this kind of application but you can absolutely make it harder to use/stay connected.

I'm not that worried about the game being ruined by stuff like this. I'd probably consider it a bit of a cheat, though, especially if you do manage to get it running on a phone. If you're GPS spoofing with this app, sure, that's an issue, but GPS spoofing is already resulting in bans. Plus, I don't actually think knowing the exact location of pokemon helps very much anyways compared to the massive advantage you get from being able to teleport anywhere you want.

Wazzy

Banned
The nearby system is completely messed up now. Pokemon that aren't even at the top but at the bottom are spawning before ones that are supposed to be even closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom