• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenameDS

Not that I have seen, but you should pay attention to the curve above the pokemon to see which is further to the right. In most cases though the higher CP pokemon will still be better.

Keep the one with the better stats. My feeling is XL weight/height Pokémon tend to have better CP, but it's not always the case and I might be wrong.

I tend to just go with the higher CP, but sometimes also consider where on the CP bar both are, and what moves they have as well. For example I had two Golbats that were exactly the same CP, but one was only about mid-way on the CP bar while the other was more like 3/4 of the way.
Awesome, thanks for the responses. I've been paying more attention to the CP wheel than anything else, so it's good to know I've been doing the right thing. Should probably also look at the moves though, but I always forget.

Can't wait to hit level 20. Currently I'm halfway through 18...

Koppai

I just hatched 4 eggs while walking in the park and that's more progress I have made in a days...I don't even think I walked 5km to hatch any of them o_o

Hikami

Got my first 1000+ CP Pokemon today. Not bad.

gZ9ctZ9.png

Oreoleo

Is the consensus not to power up or evolve Pokemon until you are trainer level 20+?

20 is a little extreme. That sounds like not a lot of fun to me. But if you want to min/max instead of just playing the game then yeah I guess. Low-mid teens I think would be more realistic, and even then you're gonna want to evolve Pidgey/Rattata/etc before that just to speed up the process some.

Zzoram

Apparently stats are based on the mainline Pokemon game stats, but for whatever reason speed is valued at 1/10th as much as stamina and attack, which is why all the fast Pokemon are underpowered in Go

Personally I'm hoping it was a decimal place error and that they'll fix it. It makes no sense for electric Pokemon to be weaker than water Pokemon of similar level

Question;

All of the same pokemon have the same max CP, right? So say if you kept your starting Charmander, collected candies but discarded the caught higher CP ones and then waiting until max level to power him up until max. That would still reach the maximum for Charmander right? So 955.24.

So if I only ever caught one Victreebell at a low CP, I could still get it to max potential CP that a Victreebell could ever get through power ups?

Maybe it varies depending on the distance. I haven't kept a close eye on it but I've definitely seen +12 candy from eggs.

I think it does. I got 31 Scyther candies when I hatched mine.

Oreoleo

Maybe it varies depending on the distance. I haven't kept a close eye on it but I've definitely seen +12 candy from eggs.

I don't think it is an exact set number. I hatched two Psyducks back to back from 5k eggs (never seen one in wild let alone caught one) and before transferring either of them I had 41 Psyduck candies, so they had to give different amounts.

hirokazu

I don't think it is an exact set number. I hatched two Psyducks back to back from 5k eggs (never seen one in wild let alone caught one) and before transferring either of them I had 41 Psyduck candies, so they had to give different amounts.
Interesting.

Question;

All of the same pokemon have the same max CP, right? So say if you kept your starting Charmander, collected candies but discarded the caught higher CP ones and then waiting until max level to power him up until max. That would still reach the maximum for Charmander right? So 955.24.

So if I only ever caught one Victreebell at a low CP, I could still get it to max potential CP that a Victreebell could ever get through power ups?
I think there are stats both internal and user-visible (height and weight?) that determines the max CP. So if you powered up a Victreebell from a low CP to max CP for your level, it may end up higher or lower than one you caught at max CP for your level.

Hycran

Banned
I have seen conflicting accounts, and i couldnt find an answer right away, but can someone speak to evolution strategies for pokemon?

Is it better to level up the base one as much as possible before evolving, is it better to just find as high a base pokemon as possible or maybe to find an evolved second form and go from there? Any insight on the process is appreciated.

hirokazu

I have seen conflicting accounts, and i couldnt find an answer right away, but can someone speak to evolution strategies for pokemon?

Is it better to level up the base one as much as possible before evolving, is it better to just find as high a base pokemon as possible or maybe to find an evolved second form and go from there? Any insight on the process is appreciated.
I think the consensus right now is anything that's high on your current CP bar. If that's a lower evolution Pokémon, then get enough candy to evolve it. But it makes no difference if you power up before or after evolution.

masud

Banned

I don't know the numbers but I've heard people say it doesn't matter either way.

Soooo... Nearby is more broken than ever for me now... Everything is permanently at 3, Pokémon will pop up constantly without ever being on the nearby, and stuff will stay on the list well after I should have left the area. And this is walking at normal speed, even immediately after fresh reboots. Cool.

Durden77

Soooo... Nearby is more broken than ever for me now... Everything is permanently at 3, Pokémon will pop up constantly without ever being on the nearby, and stuff will stay on the list well after I should have left the area. And this is walking at normal speed, even immediately after fresh reboots. Cool.

Yeah it's really fucking annoying. Pokemon get stuck on there and you can't tell if you're actually around them any more.

Fucking sluts.

Hycran

Banned
I think the consensus right now is anything that's high on your current CP bar. If that's a lower evolution Pokémon, then get enough candy to evolve it. But it makes no difference if you power up before or after evolution.

I don't know the numbers but I've heard people say it doesn't matter either way.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm just trying to find the highest CP mons I can and evolve them accordingly to get those big power bumps. I caught some pretty strong guys lately so after an evolution they should be pretty beefy, just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

hirokazu

We believe this is deliberate to help with server load. So until they restore it, it will only display Pokémon within a certain radius without regard to which are closer.

When Pokémon appear that aren't on the Nearby list, they've probably just been spawned by the server.

Toki767

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm just trying to find the highest CP mons I can and evolve them accordingly to get those big power bumps. I caught some pretty strong guys lately so after an evolution they should be pretty beefy, just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

For me, Stardust is a much more important currency than candy, so I'd definitely evolve the higher CP pokemon even if I already have the higher evolution.

hirokazu

Yeah, my strategy is to evolve Pokémon whose CP is about 85% full or more, they all turn out pretty good if the species isn't shit-tier. It's rare that you catched evolved versions that high, but sometimes you get lucky.

For me, Stardust is a much more important currency than candy, so I'd definitely evolve the higher CP pokemon even if I already have the higher evolution.
IMO, save the Stardust for powering up your highest CP Pokémon to keep up as your trainer levels up.

mr.beers

Good day for egg hatching walking around playing golf. Got a Pinsir and Porygon golfing and an Omanyte earlier today. Another Eevee 10km egg too and a high level one at that so evolved it to a Jolteon to combat all the Vapes.

Bad day for catching stuff though, nothing new. Didn't try and catch to much golfing but there were Manley's and Tentacools around.

Are golf courses a haven for Pokemon? I may need to hit the links!

The city centre was full of people playing PoGo. I've never seen something like this regarding a videogame. Strangers talking to each other, going hunting together and then asking for each other's phone numbers etc. There were also a lot of lures active.

Had a really prolific time just sitting there with strangers capturing Pokemon as they spawned. Went from never seeing a Psyduck to almost having enough candy to get a Golduck. Also captured a lot of pokemon I didn't have before and got enough candy to evolve Venonat, Eeevee and Oddish; the game was running butter smooth as well despite being there a lot of people. Great time overall :)

Tracking is so bad right now. Unless you have a large group to crowdsource rare pokemon locations it's almost impossible. GF and I chased down a polywrath, warturtle, and gravel and we couldnt find any of them.

Pachimari

So I've been tinkering with the scanner that some dudes over on /vg/ developed using Python, and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm not sure how against the rules or not it is, but if anyone has some general locations and they wanna see what's nearby, I can take a pic for you.

For example, here's a picture of my local college town that I use to hunt around in that I just made.

Again, if this is ill-advised I'll back off, just wanted to see if anyone wanted some help pinpointing some rare mon's.
Wow. I would love to see what is in Copenhagen, Denmark, if you could sent it to my PM? :)

Brinbe

Between Harborfront and the CN Tower meet-up, Toronto was absolutely lit today. Fun times. Too bad the server issues were still real bothersome.

3EhEu4d.jpg

Tracking is so bad right now. Unless you have a large group to crowdsource rare pokemon locations it's almost impossible. GF and I chased down a polywrath, warturtle, and gravel and we couldnt find any of them.

Couldn't find a Clefairy or a Kakuna today because of it.

(Weedle is stupidly rare in my area)

GulAtiCa

The candies you get from eggs is pretty random I noticed. Only consistent is that 2k eggs give smallish amounts. I've gotten magikarps that gave a 3 and then a 9.

5k eggs for me give a decent amount of candies. At least 10 normally. A Voltorb hatched and gave me 21 candies. Some eggs gave me 23 another gave me 10.

So it varies, even from Pokemon to pokemon that are hatched.

I'm curious how many I'll get from my 1st 10k egg, whenever I end up getting one.

Darryl

Banned
anyone notice better Pokemon in the wild today? we went to play for the full moon and we had tremendous luck. massive amounts of weakmon (constant fighting) and lots of rares

Toki767

anyone notice better Pokemon in the wild today? we went to play for the full moon and we had tremendous luck. massive amounts of weakmon (constant fighting) and lots of rares

I've felt like they've constantly made some changes to their system to make a greater variety of pokemon show up in any given area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom