• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GC71388

Found a charizard tonight (~300 or so cp) and couldn't catch it. Spent over 20 balls trying and hit him at least 10 times. Used a berry several of those times too. Was so pissed and it finally disappeared

pbsapeer

Banned
Went for a run today and took my phone so I could catch Pokemon along the way.

Jeez what has my life become?! This game is literally like being a Pokemon trainer and I love it!

In my house alone over the past week, a Sandshrew, Ponyta, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, and Aerodactyl have popped up in a neighborhood that matches none of what is listed on that site.

So yeah, pretty much bs. But it brings the hits.

Well. Where I live, it fits. Pretty much nothing but normal/grass types and occasional water types near bodies of water.

Maybe the game has some universal spots ? I haven't seen any fire types yet, except for the occasional magmar on a gym, and I'm level 16.

Anyhow, We do know that the game differentiates. It's just a question of wether it differentiates like the list suggests, or differently.

red731

Went for a run today and took my phone so I could catch Pokemon along the way.

Jeez what has my life become?! This game is literally like being a Pokemon trainer and I love it!

I went for a run yesterday.
I wouldn't if there wasn't this game.
I''ve met many news people sitting around lure places.

Oreoleo

is there a good place to figure out spawn points?
that pokemon radar won't load right for me, likely because I have a lot of privacy stuff installed lol.

I don't know if there is definitively a way, for me it's just from 2 weeks of observation. There's a spawn right on my house (thankfully), one or two right next to each other at the end of the block, and another about 2 1/2 blocks down from me.

In practice there are certainly more than that around my neighborhood, but probably something like 90% of the Pokemon I've caught around here have been from those 3 spots.

Well. Where I live, it fits. Pretty much nothing but normal/grass types and occasional water types near bodies of water.

Maybe the game has some universal spots ? I haven't seen any fire types yet, except for the occasional magmar on a gym, and I'm level 16.

Anyhow, We do know that the game differentiates. It's just a question of wether it differentiates like the list suggests, or differently.

I live literally across a single street from my campus, and there's everything. I'd like to imagine that the game discriminates based on terrain, but I've caught like 90 of the 150 so far and I really don't have a lot of time to play (max 30-40 minutes a day when I walk my doge.)

I did find a Staryu and Horsea near a river, FWIW.

ramyeon

I'm on fine in wisconsin.

Not down for me in Germany.
Sydney, Australia.
liAPaM5.jpg

zulux21

I went for a run yesterday.
I wouldn't if there wasn't this game.
I''ve met many news people sitting around lure places.

even with this game I wouldn't go for a run.

I am going for extra walks as I would have never went out in 88 degree heat by choice if i didn't need pokeballs

even with this game I wouldn't go for a run.

I am going for extra walks as I would have never went out in 88 degree heat by choice if i didn't need pokeballs

I've biked 70 miles in the past two weeks. Super worth it.

That said, an average weekend ride for me is 30 miles.

I live literally across a single street from my campus, and there's everything. I'd like to imagine that the game discriminates based on terrain, but I've caught like 90 of the 150 so far and I really don't have a lot of time to play (max 30-40 minutes a day when I walk my doge.)

I did find a Staryu and Horsea near a river, FWIW.

It does. Maybe your campus is considered a bit of everything ?

After it rains, there are more water types, when you go near bodies of water, there are water types, when I walk around in my city I only get grass/normal types, occasionaly fairy or ghastly at night

I'm level 16 and only have like 36 out of the 151 btw :p

How are you guys doing with starters? My location in NYC has boatloads of Bulbasaur, Squirtle are rarer but not too bad, and I haven't even seen a single Charmander. What the hell man.

correojon

My workplace has become a gym and even though I´m inside of it the game says the gym is too far :S

Anyway, nice having a gym with a pokestop right next to it.

Should I evolve Pokemons or power up the evolved versions I caught? Or should I just wait until I´m higher level (currently level 6)?

hirokazu

If what you're saying is true, then it actually shouldn't matter when you evolve your pokemon, other than the multiplier you will get from the evolution. As an example, I have two eevees with the exact same level, and they are about 250 CP. If I hit level 40 they could be pumped up to around 1k which is the top limit for an eevee.

I guess what im trying to say is 85% CP is a good ratio for the evolution bump but doesnt really need to stand as a rule of any sort. All pokemon can reach the same max cp/hp/attack power, etc.

It doesn't, but I'm not gonna waste Stardust powering up Pokémon to that sort of level when I can wait until I catch or hatch one already at that level.

How are you guys doing with starters? My location in NYC has boatloads of Bulbasaur, Squirtle are rarer but not too bad, and I haven't even seen a single Charmander. What the hell man.

Have 2 squirtles. Have yet to even see an outline of any of the others :p

There's a gym in my town inside of a mall, where the GPS on my phone goes haywire. There are 3 pokestops in there too so it sucks. It also means it's hard to get the gym. When you're right outside, the gps puts you across the road. When you go inside it looses the gps signal. Damnit :p

zulux21

i have seen the outline of squirtle once, bulbasaur once, pikachu once, and never actually had any of them pop yet.

Oreoleo

If my math is right I've caught 5 Squirtle (and seen plenty more on radar), 2 Charmander, and 1 Bulbasaur in the wild. I'm out in the burbs (borderline rural) where there's more lakes and rivers though so the more common Squirtle makes sense. I would have thought Bulbasaur would be common-ish around here too with all the wooded areas but I guess not.

hirokazu

Posting this list again over possible location types where the various pokemon types spawn:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/07/15/pokemon-go-where-to-find-pokemon-types/

Seems to be atleast partially accurate. Of course, what the game considers this or that area type, may not coincide completely with what it actually is.
This seems like a lot of conjecture. I still think the best way to find where to catch stuff is a heatmap of where people have caught different Pokémon. All the maps I've seen just puts a pin for each siting, which doesn't really work because the higher evolutions and rare base Pokémon seem to show up at random rather than having a place they're commonly found.

I get tons of Growlithes over here, but no grass types.

Cranster

Banned
I have to say I'm not impressed with the game seeing as how Nintendo won't even let me access my Trainer Account! Couldn't remember my Username so they emailed it to me, ok. Logged in with the password I recalled using and I got an error. "Ok, I'll just update my password, password successfully updated. Password incorrect error again. Try to reset it again, I have to wait an unspecified amount of time to request a password reset and speak with customer service.

Nintendo, get your shit together with your crappy online services!

I took my first gym today! One nearby had only one relatively weak Pokemon guarding it, which never happens, so I grabbed the gym and immediately cashed in the bonus because there was no way I was taking any other gyms. And I didn't have anything good to leave in it, so it was lost within ten minutes. :p

Also I'm jealous of all you people with spawn points in range while you're just at home. D:<

Leonsito

Every near Pokemon has three paws for me since the last few days, when I started playing last week there were 1 and 2 paws in some of them :(

Maz

The game is still not working for me. I tried 3 different phones from 3 different carriers and 4 different accounts. I'm in UAE at the moment so maybe they're stopping logins from un-official countries to ease the stress on the servers?

I'm in AD, logged in fine. Found a jolteon earlier too

aravuus

Looks like there's a Psyduck and Dragonair nearby, first time seeing either of them in the tracker.

Seriously considering spending my coffee break going after them lol

Oreoleo

Looks like there's a Psyduck and Dragonair nearby, first time seeing either of them in the tracker.

Seriously considering spending my coffee break going after them lol

Dragonair is rare af, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat. At least Psyducks can be gotten from 5km eggs.

Not a fan of the gym system.

Like you can have a level 10 gym with super strong Pokemon on it but as long as someone can 6v1 the first in the lineup they can just grind the entire gym out with potions and revives. Makes the entire thing seem pointless.

If they couldn't do that, there would be extremely little turnover and most people would literally never get a chance to be in a gym.

I have to say I'm not impressed with the game seeing as how Nintendo won't even let me access my Trainer Account! Couldn't remember my Username so they emailed it to me, ok. Logged in with the password I recalled using and I got an error. "Ok, I'll just update my password, password successfully updated. Password incorrect error again. Try to reset it again, I have to wait an unspecified amount of time to request a password reset and speak with customer service.

Nintendo, get your shit together with your crappy online services!

FYI, Nintendo has nothing to do with this game's online services or Pokémon Trainer accounts.

mugwhump

I can't choose my starter. When I tap anywhere nothing happens. Bug?

Also why does it need access to my Contacts? I've denied it thus far.

Game, stop playing with my emotions!

I'm coming home from work, 2:30 am in the morning, and I leave PoGo open. When I get in the garage I check the footsteps and see the following 3 shadows.

Vaporeon, Snorlax, Gloom

I take the car out for a drive in the middle of the night looking around the neighborhood for said pokemon. And I wasn't the only one looking around, saw many vehicles driving slow in the neighborhood. Sadly I wasn't able to track them down.

Poona

Every near Pokemon has three paws for me since the last few days, when I started playing last week there were 1 and 2 paws in some of them :(

It's the same for everyone. Niantic needs to get on it and fix it, as you can't track pokemon properly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, when the tracking was working, was it fairly easy to pinpoint things? I've seen a few silhouettes I would have liked to go after.

No, it still required a degree of triangulation since it was not so sensitive and anything over 2 prints was a crapshoot.

At the moment the only thing you can really do is spiral out, which isn't always feasible, and use the relative positions of the 'mons in the list to track anything down. Also, I can't be too sure of this but it feels like Pokemon just tend to congregate at Pokestops, even sans lures.

Moff

So, when the tracking was working, was it fairly easy to pinpoint things? I've seen a few silhouettes I would have liked to go after.

no, it was super hard and on a tough time limit, the nearby pokemon change like every 10 or 15 minutes

pvp, trading etc. is all nice, but my most wanted feature would be an actually usable tracking

In addition to the tracking being broken, does anybody else notice that the nearby Pokemon lists varies person to person? My list and my gf's list are never exactly the same. We will have some of the same Pokemon on both our lists, but there will always be different ones as well. The Pokemon that we both have are never in the same order either. Sometime they completey leave her list but still be on mine. It's weird.

ash321

In addition to the tracking being broken, does anybody else notice that the nearby Pokemon lists varies person to person? My list and my gf's list are never exactly the same. We will have some of the same Pokemon on both our lists, but there will always be different ones as well. The Pokemon that we both have are never in the same order either. Sometime they completey leave her list but still be on mine. It's weird.

Sometime the list doesn't update. You have to force stop it then turn it back on, it will give you a new list.

zulux21

nah, anything beyond one paw was a pain, two was doable but still a pain, three came basically down to luck.

also I have had a squirtle taunting me for the last 30 minutes on my radar. I am not heading outside on a crap shoot so I am hoping it wanders into my home. no luck so far.

Dinjooh

It shouldn't, did you download a seperate .APK? If so delete it right away!

The official one from the play store very much asks for access to your contacts. I can only assume there will be some functionality added later in which you can use your contact list.

dh4niel

If I catch a 500CP Pokemon is the cost for powering them up the same as a Pokemon I powered up to get to 500CP?

Repeating myself but I need to know!

No, it still required a degree of triangulation since it was not so sensitive and anything over 2 prints was a crapshoot.

At the moment the only thing you can really do is spiral out, which isn't always feasible, and use the relative positions of the 'mons in the list to track anything down. Also, I can't be too sure of this but it feels like Pokemon just tend to congregate at Pokestops, even sans lures.

no, it was super hard and on a tough time limit, the nearby pokemon change like every 10 or 15 minutes

pvp, trading etc. is all nice, but my most wanted feature would be an actually usable tracking

nah, anything beyond one paw was a pain, two was doable but still a pain, three came basically down to luck.

also I have had a squirtle taunting me for the last 30 minutes on my radar. I am not heading outside on a crap shoot so I am hoping it wanders into my home. no luck so far.

Well, this is all disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom