• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Ah shit, the gym near my place got the better of me. I got it down from lvl 5 to 4, so it gave me a taste for it, and I decided to waste 14.000 stardust on upgrading a Slowpoke, Drowzee and Jynx and it didn't have the best of effects. So I'm about to be low on Potions and I also only got 12 Pokéballs left. Even though I gained a little XP I would say this was a bad start to the day.

AdanVC

Story time:

I spend the whole afternoon outside catching Pokemon and I went to one of the biggest parks here on the city because just look at this:

ko5hrwz.png

It's Pokestop heaven!

I'm in Mexico so keep in mind the game hasn't launched officially here yet so I thought I was going to be the only one walking among all of those Pokestops and oh boy... There was a group of at least 20 people sitting on the grass playing GO! They were sitting there since someone dropped some lure on those Pokestops so they were catching Pokemon and having fun. I'm shy and introvert as fuck so I simply stayed nearby to take advantage of the lure as well

Then after a few minutes, the lure finished and someone on the group of people randomly screamed "Somebody please drop another lure!!" And I realized I had one available so I decided to drop it and when I did the guy screamed: "Thank youuuuuu, who drop it, who drop it!!?" And I simply raised my hand doing a peace sign and the guy: "Thanks brother! come join us!" So I went with them and joined the group. Lot's of dudes, girls and 2 kids in there. Just laughing and telling bad Pokemon jokes and puns and stuff. It was awesome. My phone was dying and even one of the guys was very kind to hand me his portable charger to recharge my phone for a bit!

I stayed with them for almost an hour or so until the park was closing and we say goodbye. We exchanged facebook names and stuff to stay in contact and all that jazz.

This was one of the best afternoons I had in years! I'm a very lonely person due to my monotonous job and life in general so this was truly a memorable afternoon to me. This app is literally changing my life for the good, now being more sociable, walking more and stuff... and the game hasn't launched officially here yet!! Just imagine when it does!

masud

Banned
So how does the defender bonus work? It seems like half the time I take a gym I can immediately go to the store and collect a bonus.

casiopao

I'd never tried training, and there was a Mystic gym nearby with an opener Pokemon I was actually capable of beating, so I sat down in the grass and blew through like 40 potions leveling the gym up and healing my one half-decent Pokemon. Right when I finally rank it up and am healing my Pidgeot to add it to the gym, this Team Instinct jackass rolls up in his car and knocks the gym's prestige down. I just wanted the experience of adding a Pokemon to support the team, man! You couldn't show up two minutes later?!

I also encountered my first Gastly today. I'd never even seen one on the radar before today. I actually encountered it, used berries, and it still fled after only two balls. :(

But some cool stuff happened today too; I caught my first Ponyta, Machop, Jigglypuff, and Vulpix, and I hatched a Koffing from a 5km egg. :)

Team Instict loves that kill steal a lot. Take them down next time you see them. HAIL VALOR.^_^

I don't understand it either. I guess someone made a meme making fun of Instinct and the rest just ran with that mentality lol

Valor: hurr durr crush xD
Instinct: Actually, it's about ethics in pokemon journalism
Mystic: VapeNation 1500+CP Vaporeon

Truly, the only winning move is not to play.

This was one of the best afternoons I had in years! I'm a very lonely person due to my monotonous job and life in general so this was truly a memorable afternoon to me. This app is literally changing my life for the good, now being more sociable, walking more and stuff... and the game hasn't launched officially here yet!! Just imagine when it does!

awesome story. Happy for you and your new friends.

lt519

I love this story! So glad to hear it :) Use this as a catalyst to make some friends for life and become more active.

I'm going to go on a run and then use a lucky egg just before these 5 eggs hatch at the same time. Good idea?

Can't hurt. 2km eggs only give 200EXP but if you hatch a new pokemon thats another 500EXP. I'd use the lucky egg right before you finish 2km and as soon as you finish 5km start evolving everything you can. Lucky eggs are honestly most efficient when you have 10 or more evolutions lined up along with a couple 5k/10k eggs ready to hatch. On the flip side Lucky Eggs are only a buck, do one now and do one next week with the evolutions.

Edit: with the lucky egg the 2km are 400xp and the new pokemon are 1000. A new pokemon with a 10k egg is worth 3000xp.

Valor: hurr durr crush xD
Instinct: Actually, it's about ethics in pokemon journalism
Mystic: VapeNation 1500+CP Vaporeon

Truly, the only winning move is not to play.

I read the Team Valor part in the Swedish Chef's voice.

Was not disappointed.

I'm going to go on a run and then use a lucky egg just before these 5 eggs hatch at the same time. Good idea?

28391858326_82f1040f1c.jpg

I don't believe you get as much XP for the hatching as you do for evolving.

I'd save the Lucky Eggs for Mass Evolving exploits.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the spawn location / consistancy of Dragonite / Charizard / similar. It seems as though every gym in my city has one or the other in it.

Thought I'd ask this in here. When my wife came home today she mentioned that there's a Pokemon that's on her desk at work. This is in a downtown office building. Is this common?

Edit: She doesn't play, but other people at her work are stopping by her desk and checking it out.

It matters. Must be full health or you won't be able to select it.

Ah I see

So if you happen to destroy a gym you put a weak Pokemon to stand by while you heal your strong Pokemon used in battle, then swap it out? Or once you place a Pokemon in the gym it stays

Just for future reference in case someone tries to steal a gym away from me after beating it

Obviously this is way down in the list of priorities considering the more pressing issues, but I really wish Niantic would let you see the timer for a nearby lure.

I can't tell you guys the amount of times I dragged my ass out of my apartment and went down 5 flights of stairs (no elevator ;-;) only for the lure to end on my way over to the pokestop.

Obviously this is way down in the list of priorities considering the more pressing issues, but I really wish Niantic would let you see the timer for a nearby lure.

I can't tell you guys the amount of times I dragged my ass out of my apartment and went down 5 flights of stairs (no elevator ;-;) only for the lure to end on my way over to the pokestop.

That is the one big benefit of my apartment in this stupid game. I get nothing but Zubats but I live right above a Pokestop.

Koh

Does level impact the pokemon you see or just their CP? I've only been able to hunt within about 3 miles of my house so far and all the pokemon are the same.

Wondering how far I'd need to go to see some variety.

I'm level 9, 3 days in. Super fun, but I think I've caught everything there is to catch here.

Oh, so hey. The only time I've taken on an enemy gym so far, I felt like I was doing everything wrong. I couldn't get my more powerful attack to trigger consistently despite having full uses charged, and several times when I tried to use them a screen popped up showing me a list of Pokémon I could switch out, and I have no idea why. halp?

Bass260

Story time:

I love this. Really shows that the genius of Go is in its social interactions and the ability to bring people together like no other game ever has.

Does level impact the pokemon you see or just their CP? I've only been able to hunt within about 3 miles of my house so far and all the pokemon are the same.

Wondering how far I'd need to go to see some variety.

I'm level 9, 3 days in. Super fun, but I think I've caught everything there is to catch here.

Just CP. Outside of using incense, everyone in the same area sees the same Pokémon - that's all decided by the server, not the user.

Kanokare

Ah I see

So if you happen to destroy a gym you put a weak Pokemon to stand by while you heal your strong Pokemon used in battle, then swap it out? Or once you place a Pokemon in the gym it stays

Just for future reference in case someone tries to steal a gym away from me after beating it

It stays until it gets bumped out from lowered prestige (gym level). Your best bet is to not use the Pokemon you want to put down in battle so you can put it down right after taking the gym.

Durden77

Ah I see

No, you can't swap it out it stays. So if you want a Pokemon you used in battle you have to be quick about it.

It would be nice if they could come up with a system to get around that, because it's incredibly stupid when you take a gym from a team and then they just take it right back while you're trying to get a Pokemon in it. It's probably hard with so many people potentially fighting it and stuff, but it's bull shit.

Oh, so hey. The only time I've taken on an enemy gym so far, I felt like I was doing everything wrong. I couldn't get my more powerful attack to trigger consistently despite having full uses charged, and several times when I tried to use them a screen popped up showing me a list of Pokémon I could switch out, and I have no idea why. halp?

Unsure what you were doing exactly but;
Tap your Pokemon to attack with your regular attack.
Press and hold on your pokemon to attack with your special move.
Swipe left and right to dodge.

The Pokemon you can switch out should only pop up if you hit the little button down the bottom right.

Hope that helps.

Unsure what you were doing exactly but;
Tap your Pokemon to attack with your regular attack.
Press and hold on your pokemon to attack with your special move.
Swipe left and right to dodge.

The Pokemon you can switch out should only pop up if you hit the little button down the bottom right.

Hope that helps.

Dammit, literally exactly what I was doing. Wonder if it's my phone, or if the app was just acting up. My finger was dead center on the screen, completely on my Pokémon, and yet half the time I either held for a special or swiped for a dodge that list popped up (actually, I seriously think it was more than half, which is why I gave up and just started mashing, even though I know that can trigger the 1HP thing). And even when it didn't, it seemed liked my special moves were still ignored more than half of the remaining time.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So is this Psyduck gonna be a badass? I'll evolve it tomorrow during work but this is such a non-standard move assortment as far as I can tell. This has to be good against some part of the meta, right?!
HWIMysS.jpg

Why didn't you show the CP? He looks pretty high, should be a decent cadidate for evolution.

The moves change on evolution.
CP 396
Posted before I was ready. Oops.
Nooooooooo I want forever moves.

ramyeon

So is this Psyduck gonna be a badass? I'll evolve it tomorrow during work but this is such a non-standard move assortment as far as I can tell. This has to be good against some part of the meta, right?!

V4Hr4
Why didn't you show the CP? He looks pretty high, should be a decent cadidate for evolution.

The moves change on evolution.

guek

Banned

V4Hr4

I thought I saw Golduck pretty high on the tier list

Shinypogs

Looks like Toronto :p
I never thought I'd be annoyed with seeing drowzee pop up but god damn every couple of steps these guys are like "catch me, catch me". More common than pidgey in Toronto. Also hatched my first egg, got vulpix because it's not like my local park isn't infested with them anyways so I already had 2 :(. Disappointing for not only my first egg but my first 5k egg.

On the bright side I cracked level 5 and joined team Valor today. It'll be weeks before I can get anything strong enough to put in any gyms though.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hung out in Union Square in NYC for a bit tonight. There were 5-6 lures going constantly so I was stockpiling tons of supplies and pokemon. There was probably 50+ just sitting around playing as well. It was great. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom