• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muku

If I challenge a gym of my color and can´t beat a single Pokémon, am I contibuting to strengthening that gym´s prestige, or do I have to win at least one battle?

In other words: can us scrubs with Pokes under 200CPs do something with gyms right now?

Even if your gym has 3 Pokemon to fight, you have to at least defeat one for it to have any meaning. Otherwise, if you die before taking one out, you'll go to the screen where it says no prestiege. The more of the Pokemon you have in the gym that you can defeat, the more prestiege you earn each round.

Went for a 3 hour walk today and not a single server issue. No pokeball freezes or anything. Good job Niantic, now fix the tracker :p

Didn't find anything rare, but did lots of evolving. Used a lucky egg and hit level 18.

Got a Vaporeon, Persian, Dodrio and Tentacruel.

mugwhump

Android user here, does it count my distance walked once it sleeps automatically (after 30 seconds)?

Also does landing Great throws increase the odds of catching a pokeman?

casiopao

welcome to fucking stamford, CT

CnyEqtgWAAEk3Z7.jpg

Man thats one hell of Drowzee.Z_Z

FinKL

https://pokevision.com

Uhhh this is definitely a game changer and will ruin fun of the game for some.

It's a Pokemon visibility locator, you give it a location and it shows all real time Pokemon that are in the area. Unfortunately the servers are under heavy load so I haven't been able to verify my area, but if that example of Santa Monica Pier is anything to go by, it will be powerful to search around for specific pokemons and their spawn/nests.

Also it appears when Pokemon appear they look to be available for 15mins at a time

correojon

Even if your gym has 3 Pokemon to fight, you have to at least defeat one for it to have any meaning. Otherwise, if you die before taking one out, you'll go to the screen where it says no prestiege. The more of the Pokemon you have in the gym that you can defeat, the more prestiege you earn each round.

Bummer :( Then it seems there´s nothing for low level players with gyms.

Thanks for the info

deoee

It's a Pokemon visibility locator, you give it a location and it shows all real time Pokemon that are in the area. Unfortunately the servers are under heavy load so I haven't been able to verify my area, but if that example of Santa Monica Pier is anything to go by, it will be powerful to search around for specific pokemons and their spawn/nests.

Also it appears when Pokemon appear they look to be available for 15mins at a time

If it's based off of the same thing I know, then it def. works.

deoee

I managed to make mine yesterday it works pretty well, I wouldn't make it if the nearby function was working.

Yeah same.

If the 3 paw bug wouldn't exist I def. would not use something like this.

It's not like it's completely ruining the fun, it encourages me to go out DESPITE the game is fundamentally broken...

Pogonip

Neo Member

It's having trouble trying to locate Pokemon in my area, probably because of the server being busy. But if it works, at least I'll be able to know how long my nearby Zubats will despawn ;P

This may be a handy tool for now while the 3 step bug still exists. It's probably also fun to see what rare stuff spawns in the usual hotspots like Central Park in NYC and so on.

Just caught 3 Clefairy tonight (they are super rare where I currently am). That moonlight effect.

The serves are also running super smoothly tonight.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is game freezes immidiately after catching relatively common? I've had like five instances in the couple of days I've been playing, successfully catch: game freezes focused on the pokeball

yeah its just a web version of the open source python mapping grid search.

It isn't scalable because to search a 1km by 1km area takes several minutes and so if more than one person uses it at the same time, it needs multiple accounts. Until the interface gets coded into an app you put your own credentials in, it isn't so useful. When it is an app you can trivially do a display of nearby pokemon with arrows and distance indications in feet without even any geo-spoofing.

The pokemon spawn in for 15 minutes, they cluster around roads, and especially parks probably with lures going.

Different cities have different super common ones. For example Zubat is all over Melb and Sydney but in Salt Lake City is all about 3 others, and no Zubat. Within a city, different areas seem to have more of the less common types so for example one pikachu spawned in sydney over an hour, but 4 were present in south salt lake city in 20 minutes.

So far I've been collecting data from several cities over several hours and spawned pokemon amount to about 80 types, ranging from very common, to only appearing once. That leaves another 70 that are even less common but I'll have to collect more data to know more about the shape of that long tail ...

Is game freezes immidiately after catching relatively common? I've had like five instances in the couple of days I've been playing, successfully catch: game freezes focused on the pokeball

Yes, I think it's just caused by server issues.

I didn't have it happen once in a three hour session today so they seem to be working on it.

Rush_Khan

Yes, unfortunately. It's usually when the servers are overloaded. I don't think there's much you can really do to fix it.

Sadly, yes. Luckily I haven't gotten it in a while, but a sometime last week I had it literally 6 times in a row, and few other pockets almost as bad as well.

correojon

It happened 6 times in a row to me yesterday. Changed location and it started working. I haven´t found the issue again. In fact, today everything is working strangely smooth.

Pachimari

I don't know what my goals should be for today. Still regretting that I spent 14k stardust lol. Maybe I'll just walk around to new places and catching any Pokémon I don't have, and continuing with my Pidgey farm. I would like to catch some of those Pokémon I got but lost due to errors, and find that Pikachu, Charmander and Squirtle that popped up on my radar days ago.

Yeah that's kind of cheap, would ruin the game for me if that mapping stuff got too big.

There will always be people that will look for ways to be the most efficient. Sadly I think the Devs expedited the process by the "Steps" being broken for so long. In the end something like this was always going to exist, either crowd sourced data or straight from the horses mouth.

Just the nature of the tech.

adamy

Banned
decided to take a late night bike ride through Studio City, just got home

highlight of the night:

IMG_1784.png

stoked that he has hyperbeam

honorable mention:

IMG_1783.png

Natiko

Banned
Is there a way to use any of these mapping tools to get a collective view of what spawns in your city over the course of a day or something? More curious to see what all Pokemon generally spawn here commonly and uncommonly than being able to see exactly where a pidgey is near my house. Could be useful to figure out the better places to go out walking as well. Just being able to see what is around at this moment isn't all that useful considering you would already be out and about encountering those Pokemon.

Is there a way to use any of these mapping tools to get a collective view of what spawns in your city over the course of a day or something? More curious to see what all Pokemon generally spawn here commonly and uncommonly than being able to see exactly where a pidgey is near my house. Could be useful to figure out the better places to go out walking as well. Just being able to see what is around at this moment isn't all that useful considering you would already be out and about encountering those Pokemon.

You can increase the number of steps the python one does, but the app tends to crash out after 600 steps, so depending on the size of your city it may need a few gos starting at different locations. From what I've been able to gather spawns are almost entirely random. There are definetly what look like certain places where an uncommon spawn is sort of fixed, but what spawns from there is also random. I haven't done enough scans in the same place, but there might be certain uncommon spawns that have a higher chance of seeing like Bulbasaur for example.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that for getting anything rarer than like Evee or Nidoran you're better off just finding the busiest lure in your are and sitting there for a while.

Lol. How about Doduo. I am having almost 27 Doduo now lol.

Not rare, but probably not quite that common. Top 10 around here (roughly in order) is:

Pidgey
Rattata
Ekans
Mankey
Sandshrew
Paras
Geodude
Growlithe
Ponyta
Doduo

Paras is weird, sometimes it's ALL OVER and sometimes I'll go a while. On average everything from Mankey to Growlithe is actually pretty close. Ponyta and Doduo are close to each other too.

Zubat, Caterpie, and Weedle are weirdly all super rare around here, but if I go north to my school (ASU's main campus) Zubat are EVERYWHERE.

adamy

Banned
are you a high level? ive noticed the more higher i go the better pokemon i get

level has nothing to do with the pokemon you encounter. my wife is just starting and we encounter the exact same pokemon. when i'm playing with friends of varying levels we also always see the exact same pokemon.

Jeez Alakazam sucks.

Or Snorlax is just OP?

well the CP difference is significant, but yeah Alakazam doesn't seem too great. he's just a PITA to fully evolve in my experience. Abras tend to teleport/flee if you don't catch them after your first throw, and they aren't very common around here. i'm more so excited from a collectors point of view.

and also yeah, Snorlax is a beast

eek5

You can modify the AHAAAA code to do this. Right now it goes through and filters out duplicate pokemon ids but you can change the code to filter out duplicate coords then update the code to not expire points. Either save that data to a db or just let it run for a while and it should end up with markers for all the spawn points in your area since they don't move. You could increment some counter for each unique spawn point to get an idea of which ones spawn more frequently. Would be pretty trivial.

Moff

level has nothing to do with the pokemon you encounter. my wife is just starting and we encounter the exact same pokemon. when i'm playing with friends of varying levels we also always see the exact same pokemon.

he didn't say different, he said better, and if you are a higher level you definitely get better pokemon with higher cp

that's the reason why you should not use stardust early on

Muku

Strangely enough for me, server issues usually revolve around trying to catch a Pokemon and it freezes. This evening though, that went pretty smooth. But of course just because that did, meant something else had to break. When it would go into battery saver mode, I'd whip it out due to a buzz and it'd be frozen. Or partially, where I couldn't spend myself around to see what was there. Sometimes though totally frozen. Not sure why it's having issues in battery saver mode now. Not sure which is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom