• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

3 disappointing 5km eggs to end the night, Venonat, Grimer, and Nidoran. Not a good day hunting, did get a Ryhorn from a 5km egg though and a Wigglytuff this morning. The tracking is starting to annoy me as the few rares I don't have are very difficult to track down. I see a rare track it down so it's first in the list and its obviously a ghost server issue as things lower on the list appear.

I need to spread out my searches (which means I need to get in a car blegh), very close to evolving most water type pokemon, but am sorely lacking in basically everything else.

Went for a run in the suburbs after work and holy shit is it a ghost town. At one point I ran about a mile and the whole time I had a list of three including two pidgeys and a weedle.

Odd thing we noticed was my wife was putting down incense and some Pokemon were only showing up for her, she got a tentacool, jealous. Lures all over the city tonight though was fantastic to see all the people out on a Tuesday night.

Not

Banned
Wife and I are about to hit level 9, sharing her Galaxy S6. Only challenged 1 gym so far and got whuped lol. Caught a Magmar today! My main personal endgoal is to raise a superpowered Nidoqueen and capture a gym with it.

#INSTINCT #Y'ALL

Don't power it up. Not only does onix have one of the lowest Gains per level but it's cp cap is low as well.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's a little too low for me to want to power level it.

Wife and I are about to hit level 9, sharing her Galaxy S6. Only challenged 1 gym so far and got whuped lol. Caught a Magmar today! My main personal endgoal is to raise a superpowered Nidoqueen and capture a gym with it.

#INSTINCT #Y'ALL

Nice, I hatched a 900 CP Magmar today out of my other 10k egg!

Besides server instability and fragile client network stuff (hello Pokeball freeze bug), this is probably my biggest issue with Pokemon Go right now. It feels like the optimal way to play the game and the "intended" way to play the game are practically at odds with one another. I'm still walking around and happily collecting things, but it's unfortunate to always have in the back of my head that I could be more "productive" if I just went down to the ferry terminal instead and sat there for hours gorging on Pokemon.
If the end desire is optimal stats play that way, if it is "fun" then play whatever way gets you there.

The game is kinda like Minecraft to me in that I make my own goals. I wanted a Dragonite so I found a reliable spot and farmed over a few days to get one. Today I decided I wanted to go to a new park and stocked up on poke balls, easy evolution xp, and took a few gyms for a small coin bump. I know my biggest goal is just to "Catch 'em all".

If being all-powerful is your thing, cool. Find a popular lure spot and make strong Pokemon for gym takeovers. I remember getting a medal for collecting a certain number of Pikachu. Maybe for some Pika-Super-Fan the goal is to collect as many Pikachu as possible.

Despite the huge player base and social nature of the game it is still a very individual one for the player. There is no "optimal" way to play it because there is no defined end-goal to the game other than one you set for yourself. EDIT: I've been to a few lure-heavy spots and they can be a lot of fun but I know nothing beats finding something on your own out-and-about so I concentrate on that aspect more.

#INSTINCT #Y'ALL
PERFECT example. Set your own goals! :)

Dominator

Hit a goldmine tonight out on the town. Nidoqueen, Scyther, Charmeleon, Slowbro, Marowak and Sandslash all popped within an hour and a half. Loving this game right now lol

EDIT: Just got a 977CP Seaking. Holy fuck I'm coming here every night.

lt519

Spent my first real $10 on the game (spent $10 google rewards last week); grabbed a couple incubators. Things seem well priced in the store for what you get. They could have gone full greed mode and had stardust, candies, eggs, etc. I seem to get the most value out of Incubators.

Never really gotten into micro-transactions before but it seems things are fairly priced and they aren't overly gouging. Wouldn't be mad if I spent $1 a day for as long as I'm interested in the game (probably only a couple months).

Hit a goldmine tonight out on the town. Nidoqueen, Scyther, Charmeleon, Slowbro, Marowak and Sandslash all popped within an hour and a half. Loving this game right now lol

EDIT: Just got a 977CP Seaking. Holy fuck I'm coming here every night.

Where you at? (;

There's an Abra in the middle of the yard of the people who live behind me. They routinely fire off guns though : /. Id probably walk across the field to get there if that wasn't the case. I'm also convicned an Abra randomly spawns once every two hours in like a 2mile radius of where I live its kind interesting watching it on the scanner.

Kanokare

I need more potions. I've been intentionally sending in 1 HP Pokemans to their death at a gym and using one of my 100 revives to pick them back up to half health :|

lt519

There's an Abra in the middle of the yard of the people who live behind me. They routinely fire off guns though : /. Id probably walk across the field to get there if that wasn't the case. I'm also convicned an Abra randomly spawns once every two hours in like a 2mile radius of where I live its kind interesting watching it on the scanner.

We have an Abra nest nearby my place. It seems to spawn 2-3 times a night in the same general area (I hit it up on my normal loops). Tough to catch though if you miss that first ball.

Science!

Neo Member
I'm in Barbados. It worked fine the first day it was out but since then I've just been getting the "could not detect location" message and no Pokemon in sight.

I don't know if this applies but on the first day the app did the same thing to me in the US. To fix it I turned off my GPS and restarted my phone. Seemed to fix the then problem once i turned my gps back on and logged in. Haven't had that issue since.

Muku

I know the nearby thing is broken, but I was really hoping that Scyther in the top two slots, at least one would show. Alas. ;_;

zulux21

Are we seriously at day three with a broken nearby chart?

The map location where I caught my Pokémon has also been missing in that time as well.

yup the first one likely won't change for a while as it likely helps with server load and won't be turned on again until after the game launches everywhere.

the second one hopefully never gets turned on again.

Cody_D165

Banned
oh my god

ECpWsFY.png

So I was out and about hitting a cluster of Pokestops with a friend when he started freaking out and telling me to pull the car over because there was a fucking Charizard in the area. We pull into the post office parking lot (where there is a gym) and there's a crowd of like ten people frantically swiping at their phones. Get out of the car phone in hand and instantly one of the guys yells at us "IT'S OVER HERE HURRY" and we're booking it asap. Took like twenty great balls but we all managed to catch it.

this game is fucking awesome. my inner child is freaking out.

Delio

lol Took out a yellow gym by myself and instantly it's taken by the yellow team again. These two guys walk by and wave to my aunt and me and i ask them "Your Yellow arent you?" They say yeah and that it was them and this random lady that retook it after they saw it was being attacked.

Shaking my fist at them. Ah well least i knocked it down with vastly weaker mons.

Dash27

oh my god

So I was out and about hitting a cluster of Pokestops with a friend when he started freaking out and telling me to pull the car over because there was a fucking Charizard in the area. We pull into the post office parking lot (where there is a gym) and there's a crowd of like ten people frantically swiping at their phones. Get out of the car phone in hand and instantly one of the guys yells at us "IT'S OVER HERE HURRY" and we're booking it asap. Took like twenty great balls but we all managed to catch it.

Damn! That's awesome congrats!

Quazar

Spent my first real $10 on the game (spent $10 google rewards last week); grabbed a couple incubators. Things seem well priced in the store for what you get. They could have gone full greed mode and had stardust, candies, eggs, etc. I seem to get the most value out of Incubators.

Never really gotten into micro-transactions before but it seems things are fairly priced and they aren't overly gouging. Wouldn't be mad if I spent $1 a day for as long as I'm interested in the game (probably only a couple months).

Where you at? (;

I agree about prices. I think they've hit a good balance on this game. Doesn't come off as real greedy like 99% of mobile games. I'll definitely commit to more purchases in the future, as I like the model.

oh my god

ECpWsFY.png

Awesome! What level are you and what was its CP?

Another fucking pidgey kept escaping and took like 8 balls to catch and the game either freezes or the magikarp flees 80% of the time when those appear the last few days. This shit is so annoying. I'm level 18. A 100 CP pidgey should not be escaping...

Went on a walk through the park, my sisters and mom decided to all tag along!

Captured 2 Gyms, one of which was promptly lost to a kid and his parents, cashed the 2nd in for the coins, that fell as well. WE NEED MORE INSTINCT PLAYERS IN CUPERTINO!

I half expect to see my mom on this before too long o_O

2ND SIGHTING OF ARBOK, SAME RESULT: RUNS ON FIRST BALL, even with berries :(

Got a Drowsey on campus, that was cool

My 402 Slowpoke continues to be my best pokemon, his speed is DISGUSTING

Toki767

Can someone smarter than me tell me if it is worth it to upgrade this gyarados? It's move set looks like it's weak, 6 damage dragon breath? Or am I reading his wrong?

I mean...it's already almost full power. Unless Magikarp are rare in your area, you have plenty of Stardust to upgrade it.

mStudios

oh my god

ECpWsFY.png

I'm jelly as fuck, My fav pokemon T_T

If the end desire is optimal stats play that way, if it is "fun" then play whatever way gets you there.

The game is kinda like Minecraft to me in that I make my own goals. I wanted a Dragonite so I found a reliable spot and farmed over a few days to get one. Today I decided I wanted to go to a new park and stocked up on poke balls, easy evolution xp, and took a few gyms for a small coin bump. I know my biggest goal is just to "Catch 'em all".

If being all-powerful is your thing, cool. Find a popular lure spot and make strong Pokemon for gym takeovers. I remember getting a medal for collecting a certain number of Pikachu. Maybe for some Pika-Super-Fan the goal is to collect as many Pikachu as possible.

Despite the huge player base and social nature of the game it is still a very individual one for the player. There is no "optimal" way to play it because there is no defined end-goal to the game other than one you set for yourself. EDIT: I've been to a few lure-heavy spots and they can be a lot of fun but I know nothing beats finding something on your own out-and-about so I concentrate on that aspect more.

PERFECT example. Set your own goals! :)

Oh, I mean, sure. I guess it's more that I wish the game would harmonize more with the discovery aspect somehow. I realize I can set my own goals wherever, but I both want to be the best Pokemon trainer AND wander all over the city in search of rare spawns, and it sort of feels like if I do the latter, I don't get to be the former (and the latter isn't super successful anyways since the tracker is busted).

N30RYU

Any tips catching pokemons with the 3 footprints bug?

I have seen Pikachus but 've been unable to find them before they disappear...

I've been able to put them in the first position of near pokemons but didn't came up...

Is frustrating being unable to track them... and the 3 foorprints bug fucks all the hunting for the game

Haha what a snake in the grass , was fighting a gym and won the match, did it again and destroyed the gym again and was reviving my Pokemon when a team valor person took it over.

That being my first legit gym match I have a question, when you put a Pokemon it doesn't matter if it's down/low on health? I fucked up too

TheFlow

Banned
Can someone smarter than me tell me if it is worth it to upgrade this gyarados? It's move set looks like it's weak, 6 damage dragon breath? Or am I reading his wrong?

Gyrados is one of the strongest pokemon in the game, but that moveset is meh. There are only 3 dragon pokemon in the game and they are all super rare. Would of been better if it had "bite" and then a water type move. still a good catch/evolve though.

Kanokare

Haha what a snake in the grass , was fighting a gym and won the match, did it again and destroyed the gym again and was reviving my Pokemon when a team valor person took it over.

That being my first legit gym match I have a question, when you put a Pokemon it doesn't matter if it's down/low on health? I fucked up too

It matters. Must be full health or you won't be able to select it.

Any tips catching pokemons with the 3 footprints bug?

I have seen Pikachus but 've been unable to find them before they disappear...

I've been able to but he in the first position of near pokemons but didn't came up...

Is frustrating being unable to track them... and the 3 foorprints bug fucks all the hunting of the game

Stuff in the first slot is generally like 20 ft away.

I'd never tried training, and there was a Mystic gym nearby with an opener Pokemon I was actually capable of beating, so I sat down in the grass and blew through like 40 potions leveling the gym up and healing my one half-decent Pokemon. Right when I finally rank it up and am healing my Pidgeot to add it to the gym, this Team Instinct jackass rolls up in his car and knocks the gym's prestige down. I just wanted the experience of adding a Pokemon to support the team, man! You couldn't show up two minutes later?!

I also encountered my first Gastly today. I'd never even seen one on the radar before today. I actually encountered it, used berries, and it still fled after only two balls. :(

But some cool stuff happened today too; I caught my first Ponyta, Machop, Jigglypuff, and Vulpix, and I hatched a Koffing from a 5km egg. :)

Hikami

My second lucky egg got me from level 17 to 19 and a half. Damn, was hoping for 20. Hoping to reach 20 before Japan gets the game and the servers burn up :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom