• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do if you met a girl playing Pokémon GO, and she wants you to go with her to her house to get more Pokéballs at a nearby Pokéstop, but there isn't a Pokéstop near her house?

Edit: I can finally log in! Fuck PTC log in.

Edit Edit: Super effective attacks increase damage by 1.25x and ineffective attacks are 0.8x, even the "immune types".

Cherubae

Yes, during the limited closed beta the actual meter distance was used on the radar screen, but upon launch it was swapped out to the footstep scale. There was a helpdesk where bugs and recommendations could be submitted, but I've no idea how much of that was taken into suggestion by Niantic. There were a lot of "hey this happened to me" posts with follow ups of "me too," but not much response from the admins.

Wiped89

The servers really are horrific. I've had this game two days, and I've played for about 20 minutes in total.

Three times I've gone for a walk/to the shop etc and only once in those three times has the game worked at all, and even that one time it crashed. The other two times the server has just not worked.

Still stuck on level 2 with three Pokemon because it doesn't work when I'm actually free to play it.

Chaos17

What do you do if you met a girl playing Pokémon GO, and she wants you to go with her to her house to get more Pokéballs at a nearby Pokéstop, but there isn't a Pokéstop near her house?

Download Yelp and find a pokespot near her house.

Yes, during the limited closed beta the actual meter distance was used on the radar screen, but upon launch it was swapped out to the footstep scale. There was a helpdesk where bugs and recommendations could be submitted, but I've no idea how much of that was taken into suggestion by Niantic. There were a lot of "hey this happened to me" posts with follow ups of "me too," but not much response from the admins.

Niantic should hire some PR (I mean gms/communty managers) since it didn't imrpuve from beta -.-'

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Niantic should give everyone a pack of pokeballs and incense for free after this settles down, to replace the ones we wasted due to server issues. I've had one incense disappear when used, and one result in a grand total of two Pokemon (thought it guaranteed one every five mins?). Likewise I've lost lots of pokeballs due to the glitches

JDB

Banned
Also, can someone tell me why this game doesn't just use the normal Pokemon fighting system? This tapping nonsense is absolute garbage.

Zafir

Niantic should give everyone a pack of pokeballs and incense for free after this settles down, to replace the ones we wasted due to server issues. I've had one incense disappear when used, and one result in a grand total of two Pokemon (thought it guaranteed one every five mins?). Likewise I've lost lots of pokeballs due to the glitches
Agreed. I've seen plenty of lures placed down today can't imagine people managed to take much advantage of them though.

Just a waste of an item atm with these rubbish servers.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I have found out Tangela and Crobats are greatly underrated in taking down gyms. Even when their CPs are nearly half that of gym leaders.

Mung

They better reimburse all of the items people have lost due to their glitches and server issues, otherwise it's effectively theft.

This IS the beta test.
You can't stress test the population of the planet.

This is the beta test? Wish I'd known that before I'd given them money.

ash321

Also, can someone tell me why this game doesn't just use the normal Pokemon fighting system? This tapping nonsense is absolute garbage.
It give you a chance to win against much higher level opponent. Because you can actually dodge in this game.

Chumly

Where are you guys at that are having server issues??? I am in the Midwest and haven't had any problems all morning. I was thinking about using some lures but I really don't want it to go to waste

Zafir

Where are you guys at that are having server issues??? I am in the Midwest and haven't had any problems all morning. I was thinking about using some lures but I really don't want it to go to waste
UK server has been on life support since midday.

Pachimari

Should I keep an eye on the moves for my low power Pokemon as I currently do, or do the move list change when a Pokemon evolves?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I mean sure, but I think we're well beyond their anticipated load at this point.

They've had eleven days to adjust. Instead they went online in two dozen countries before fixing their fricking servers

Wollan

Regarding server issues:

Niantic can be rightfully criticized for rolling out to 26 additional countries on the second Saturday. I'm not sure what the thinking was. It was a full-blown idiotic decision.

But I won't be hard on them on how things have developed prior to yesterday. Servers have been Ok for most of the time and that's after the largest mobile gaming launch in history. Not even in anyone's largest dreams would a Pokemon/Nintendo/MMO/mobile mix ever produce the crazy results we have been seeing. It's everywhere.

supergiz

I can't believe I haven't posted on Neogaf for months b/c I forgot to check a little check box next to my login button.

Either way I'm hopelessly addicted to Pokemon Go. I'm lvl 16 already! Anyone here live in the New York area? I'm on Long Island. Almost took a gym in Manhasset last night.

Skatterd

They've had eleven days to adjust. Instead they went online in two dozen countries before fixing their fricking servers

Oh no doubt. I'm not defending them by any means...just saying a freak occurrence like this is hard to account for. But yeah they need to get it under control.

Its not a bug. They did that to lower the load for the server.

Hmm, makes sense although this highlights how bad the communication has been over the past few days - I wasn't aware of there being any official announcement/update regarding it.

All I want to do is go on a walk and track some pokemon :(

Hope it's fixed in a few hours when I head out for the evening.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm assuming the 3 steps thing isn't an issue but a feature they disabled for the time being to reduce server load. Otherwise I have no idea why it would suddenly fail for everyone, with no mention of it from Niantic.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The three step tracking would be useful if it actually worked with the map. I hate how the grass animation isn't a 100% indication of a pokemon. Another case where polishing would have done tremendous things in a long beta.

Acinixys

Regarding servers issues:

Niantic can be rightfully criticized for rolling out to 26 additional countries on the second Saturday. I'm not sure what the thinking was. It was full-blown idiotic decision.

But I won't be hard on them on how things have developed prior to yesterday. Servers have been Ok for most of the time and that's after the largest mobile gaming launch in history. Not even in anyone's largest dreams would a Pokemon/Nintendo/MMO/mobile mix ever produce the crazy results we have been seeing. It's everwhere. I have never seen anything like this. And remember that large parts of the world was already unofficially participating even though only NA & Australia had been launched.

Here in South Africa so many people are already playing (its not officially out yet here) the police have issued a PSA saying that trespassing to catch Pokemon wont be tolerated

XD

ghibli99

I have little-to-no interest in battles and such, but the collecting, evolving, and exploring... I'm really into those aspects about it. Pretty similar to how I feel about the mainline games, so this is definitely getting me hyped and providing a good diversion prior to Sun/Moon's release later this year!

Now if the darn thing wouldn't crash after every five or so captures...

shield

I set aside some time this evening to play, headed outside and used an incense, walked 50m down the road, and the game froze. Restarted the app, and now I can't log in again.

This game can be really, really, frustrating.

1 month! That's like doing a beta to see if people can connect to the servers and being all, yep, they can connect, RELEASE THE KRAKEN

I'm beginning to think Nintendo invested $68 into this game

This and the post that that one is reply to are absolutely fucking ridiculous. The scale at this service is running is insane, no shit some/most regions can't handle the load they are constantly fed. There's no way that someone could have estimated the craze this turned into.

Zafir

Regarding server issues:

Niantic can be rightfully criticized for rolling out to 26 additional countries on the second Saturday. I'm not sure what the thinking was. It was full-blown idiotic decision.

But I won't be hard on them on how things have developed prior to yesterday. Servers have been Ok for most of the time and that's after the largest mobile gaming launch in history. Not even in anyone's largest dreams would a Pokemon/Nintendo/MMO/mobile mix ever produce the crazy results we have been seeing. It's everywhere.
Yeah I agree. The servers weren't perfect until yesterday but it was totally playable. Now it is unplayable during peak time because they made the idiotic choice of releasing it in so many countries yesterday.

Since this time yesterday really.
It was fine for me this morning to be fair

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This and the post that that one is reply to are absolutely fucking ridiculous. The scale at this service is running is insane, no shit some/most regions can't handle the load they are constantly fed. There's no way that someone could have estimated the craze this turned into.

And they've released in 32 new countries causing a new wave of issues. Niantic deserves to be taken to task. Peope still defending losing money on a broken app are ridiculous.

Chaos17

Basically the whole thread is about technical issues. What a disaster.

Mostly since this week-end, like someone said earlier, things were getting better before that horrible "push button [BURN]" happened >.>...
So take my advice, avoid this game for 2 or 3 days at least until servers stop dying on us.

Visceir

They should double down and release the game in another 26 countries to see if that makes things better. That seems to be their logic so far anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom