• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukemon

Not sure if this was shared but Trulia put together a Pokemon Go cheat map.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/tech/places-to-catch-5-pokemon-types/

Just type in your location and it generates a heat map where your more likely to catch pokemon.

The bullshit is real. There are actual, literal cheat map options out there. This is just speculation... and will largely be wrong. "Assuming the Pokémon in GO are popping up based on the habitat they thrive in"... yeah, about that...

Brinbe

Just not happening today it seems. I connect, but it's short-lived and then it's fucked again. =(

Really unfortunate, I was looking forward to heading out to grind out a level or two this evening.

The Update team has nothing to do with the server issues... two different kinds of developers.
Never said they had anything to do with each other.

The Japan thing was bullshit, and they said they were targeting content updates every two weeks, not that there will be an update every two weeks on the dot starting from launch. I wouldn't expect the updates to start rolling until the major launches are complete and the server issues are ironed out.
The server issues and overall game are far worse than at launch.

Don't announce bi-weekly updates and then two weeks later have the game actually be worse off than it was.

PSFan

Maybe Level 5 should release Yo-kai Watch Go now, lol. If we can't look for Pokemon, maybe we can look for Yo-Kai.

Jonbo298

I already base my future home purchase on what internet speeds are available. I hope people don't start basing a home purchase on distance to PokeStops and available pokemon on this heatmap....

Hahaha I can see it now.

"And over here, you'll find plenty of pidgeys and zubats but you'll also get the occasional rare Pokemon, Dragonite. As you can see, this home is far superior to all other homes as you don't even have to leave your home to catch Pokemon. Price starts at 1 million US dollars."

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know that what is really important is the server issues and frustrations, concerns about the long-term viability of the game, whether or not the developers are allocating resources appropriately, and so on, but I wanted to share the email I just got from Charity Miles.
hEBg864.png

Tripled their community size in 10 days, made them the second most popular app in the App Store (after guess what), and they made a fun update to their own app so that you can log miles for your PoGo team (Valor, Mystic, Instinct) as a competitive challenge.

Human beings are covering a lot of ground out there for the moment and until we hear otherwise, corporate sponsors are donating to a variety of causes for every single mile. I am positive you will find a charity that you feel is worthwhile on their list and it requires almost no effort on your part. Please consider grabbing the app if you plan to spend any more time with this game in the coming days.

Play Store link for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.charitymilescm.android&hl=en
App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/charity-miles/id505253234?mt=8

I just wish there was a way to get a notification to open Charity Miles whenever I open Pokemon. I've forgotten to track like half my miles. :(

Pretty sure Pokevision and whatever that python scrip name also "help" this situation. zzzz

I mean, no, they're not "helping", but there's literally millions, if not tens of millions, of Go users worldwide. The number of people using Pokevision or (especially) Python scripts is likely miniscule in comparison.

BowieZ

Banned
Anyone else decide it's better to use up all the 2k eggs first, as they're faster, in hopes of finding more 10k eggs?

Rather than wasting time on 5k eggs that end up mostly disappointing anyway?

Saw the game had an update and got excited. Just wow, what is Niantic doing? Not even a fix for nearby list? No communication either.

Exactly. How many hours of downtime for an update that none of us will notice? When there are SO MANY other important things that NEED to be fixed.

Rural density of pokémon, the radar glitch, non stop app freezes, random curve glitch, HP bugs at gyms are just the ones I can think.

And they have servers down for 3 plus hours to fix text. My fucking God. This update was completely pointless.

BowieZ

Banned
Last night I realised there's a km walk badge, and noticed I walked over 75km since last Thursday (when I first downloaded the app) -- and that's only when the app is open lol.

I would have assumed ordinarily that that included various bus trips but I always check my eggs before and after, and they don't seem to increase the hatching kilometres.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Exactly. How many hours of downtime for an update that none of us will notice? When there are SO MANY other important things that NEED to be fixed.

Rural density of pokémon, the radar glitch, non stop app freezes, random curve glitch, HP bugs at gyms are just the ones I can think.

And they have servers down for 3 plus hours to fix text. My fucking God. This update was completely pointless.
how did you find out that the two are related in any way?

Jabo

Is the Japanese app store down for anyone or is it just me?? Gotta catch some in the hospital
KuGsj.gif

Edit: Oh god it's not out is it?

wanders

Not sure if this was shared but Trulia put together a Pokemon Go cheat map.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/tech/places-to-catch-5-pokemon-types/

Just type in your location and it generates a heat map where your more likely to catch pokemon.

This smells like BS. So annoying all the articles capitalizing on the games success with bullshit ass nonsense based on nothing but speculation or straight up lies.

It's as if those brats in grade school who lied how to catch a Pikablu in red and blue grew up to be journalists

🙄🙄🙄

Piece of shit night. First night we gather with a big group of friends and it fails hard. Went to get an ice cream and the thibg started to work barely, went to the typical gathwring place and there was a lot of people like us. Some could enter, others couldnt, and sone entered and work a lottle bit and other had the servers thinking icon indefinetly.
Going to try tomorrow again. Hope they get their shit together for tomorrow with their servers.

Its a pity because during the day the game worked flawlessly, probably the best it had worked.

Idk how this stuff goes, will they able to block pokevision? I feel its gonna ruin the game if not.
Fuck that shit. They can take it down when they fix again their nearby list, not before.

That was what people assumed.

Doesn't seem to have helped.

Seems unlikely that's the case though, given how it works. The app polls the server for everything within a certain radius, and receives the exact location data for everything nearby. So the app knows exactly where everything is no matter what, meaning that unless the distance calculations are being done by the server (which makes little sense, since the client app can do it just as reliably, faster) there's no server data to cut back on by disabling the feature. Plus, with items on the list moving around, it seems the app is still doing some sort of distance calculations anyway.

I'm really not sure what would be the cause though, since it doesn't seem to be tied to any specific version number, so it's not like it was a bug introduced by an update.

lt519

Wondering how much sites like Pokevision and these Python scripts are hammering the servers. I know they are requesting data at much higher rates than the actual App. Can't be that many people doing it, but certainly can't help.

Seems unlikely that's the case though, given how it works. The app polls the server for everything within a certain radius, and receives the exact location data for everything nearby. So the app knows exactly where everything is no matter what, meaning that unless the distance calculations are being done by the server (which makes little sense, since the client app can do it just as reliably, faster) there's no server data to cut back on by disabling the feature. Plus, with items on the list moving around, it seems the app is still doing some sort of distance calculations anyway.

I'm really not sure what would be the cause though, since it doesn't seem to be tied to any specific version number, so it's not like it was a bug introduced by an update.

The other odd thing being at the same time the caught location that is stored got massively huge and inaccurate. I started thinking about the distance thing just like you did, they are obviously still doing the calculation and/or the app is so not sure how it would actually reduce server load.

Dominator

Haven't been able to get on in about 5 hours. I live in NJ.

I'm gonna go out in a few hours to play, hopefully it's working by then here.

Seriously, the game is in a way worse state than when it launched. A few weeks ago there was no pokeball bug, the tracker worked, the map worked, the pokedex wasn't all fucked up etc, etc, etc.
And the servers haven't even gotten much better.

Chiramii

I'm at a loss for words on how to describe how poorly Niantic has handled the traffic issues and communication with it's userbase after the launch of this game. I really can't wrap my head around how they think this has been the right way of fixing their shit since launch. Appalling and disgraceful.

Yes, I'm salty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom