• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSFan

AGITΩ;210744498 said:
GPS stops tracking movement as soon as I enter the building for my work. So the app is only useful in the parking lot.

Not in my experiece. I leave the app running while I'm working at my worktable and pokes just pop up all day while I'm working. Rarer ones too. I'm not even using incense and there's no Pokestop nearby.

gardfish

Man, finding new Pokemon has slowed to a crawl for me, which is a little unfortunate--I'm at 80 caught and haven't run into anything new in the wild for days now. Anything new I'm adding has just been from evolving Pokemon I already had or hatching eggs, and both of those methods are just incredibly tedious--it's not fun to catch dozens of Bellsprout over and over and over again just to get a Victreebel, and there are Pokemon that I've only found one of in all this time like Abra who it would take a miracle for me to get all the way up to Alakazam. I really wish you could get candies for the Pokemon you use to beat gyms or something.

I know they're going to wait until the hype has died down before they go adding in later generations, but for me the inevitable Johto expansion can't come soon enough.

Makonero

Didn't the head of Niantic talk about how instead of localized instances for players and dedicated servers for different locations, they have one giant instance for everyone? That alone is going to be hard to maintain with hundreds of servers and VMs. I'm wondering if they regret that choice now.

I've been playing Pokémon Go nearly non-stop every day since the 12th. I "play" for hours a day. I turn it on before I leave the house for work in the morning, stop at all the PokéStops in between, then leave the game running at my desk and periodically check to see if anything has spawned. I also check in at the nearby PokéStop that I can sometimes reach from my desk.

But actually playing the game involves getting out and moving. So I keep making plans with girlfriend to go to the beach, or downtown, or a few towns over, and every time I have wanted to do this I have been unable. I even went down to Boston on Sunday (from Maine) and was unable to play for the majority of the afternoon.

In my experience, server performance is getting worse, not incrementally better. Every day after 3:00 PM EST becomes an inevitable dead time where I can't play for hours. When it comes back, it will never be for long, and I will have to restart the app and will be unable to relaunch it.

It's really depressing me because my girlfriend, who also loves the game, does not have the patience to keep driving somewhere to play and then being unable to play. I don't know how much more I can take either. I can't imagine how bad it is for bars and businesses planning huge events and meet ups only for the servers to be down.

I've been reading a lot of people's opinions on why th server performance is so poor and I don't know what to think. From my outside perspective, I don't understand why "more servers" won't fix the problem. On the other hand, even if that won't fix the problem, I'm upset there has been zero communication over what the problem IS and what measures are being taken to fix it.

I just want to plan to play and be able to. Constantly losing incense and lures and driving 45 minutes to a populated area just to hang at the loading screen is dismal.

I never wanted this game and now all I want to do is play it. Maybe I deserve this.

Thats going to make a nice pidgey.

jewzbxJ.gif

Probably gonna get a Drowzee.

I'll take a Lapras. Thanks.

probably gonna get an eevee

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm at 7.7/10.

My first 10km egg was an Onix.
Turns out it hatched in the background. It was an Omanyte. -_-

M.J. Doja

Banned
Servers working all morning and all night, and down at 12pm for the second day in a row.

Really quite annoying for my two days off of work. Right when I go to the SM Pier, the servers crap out. Come on already!

johnsmith

remember me
Spawns aren't that different place to place within a small city or town. To get a change in spawns in general replacing say Zubats with Drowzee you're going to have to travel probably a good two hours. A persons best bet to just get new stuff is post up next to a couple of lures.

I can drive less than 5 minutes from my house and get to 2 different parks that have electabuzz and magmars as common spawns in them. This is a small town with 20k people. There's another park 10 mins away that has hitmonlee as common spawns. I've never seen these anywhere else outside those parks.

You just have to get out there and explore. Joining local Facebook groups also helps on finding hot spots.

MajorMane

Didn't the head of Niantic talk about how instead of localized instances for players and dedicated servers for different locations, they have one giant instance for everyone? That alone is going to be hard to maintain with hundreds of servers and VMs. I'm wondering if they regret that choice now.

Personally, I feel like that's part of what makes Pokemon Go special. That Charizard at the other end of the park is there for everyone and you can team up to hunt down the same Pokemon. It wouldn't be as cool or special if everyone had their own instance, IMO.

Oreoleo

Also guys I think you should know-- I haven't seen the server screen once since I started playing a week ago. Once. Granted, I live near a Verizon cell tower and do most of my hunting in the evening, but still. It's like all the server issues I constantly hear about are happening in another dimension.
I would have agreed with you up until this afternoon. Haven't been locked out of the game for this long since the first weekend the game was out in the US.

Also guys I think you should know-- I haven't seen the server screen once since I started playing a week ago. Once. Granted, I live near a Verizon cell tower and do most of my hunting in the evening, but still. It's like all the server issues I constantly hear about are happening in another dimension.
Same here. I haven't been out of the game for this long since the first ever weekend of it.

I can drive less than 5 minutes from my house and get to 2 different parks that have electabuzz and magmars as common spawns in them. This is a small town with 20k people. There's another park 10 mins away that has hitmonlee as common spawns. I've never seen these anywhere else outside those parks.

You just have to get out there and explore. Joining local Facebook groups also helps on finding hot spots.

I wonder if the app recognizes these parks as "locations".

Part of my problem in my small town is that our parks and fields aren't PokéStops and have no discernible representation on the overworld map. Most roads don't even represent our houses. When I go to these parks and fields, I don't find anything. Usually literally nothing will appear. Other times it will just be the usual vermin.

The issue I face is that almost everywhere I go has the same spawns. I've made a point to try lots of different places and the experience you have has just not been mine.

Most of my diversity comes from hatching eggs.

Praise Helix.

(I would looove to have a fossil pokemon, count yourself lucky)

I had caught a really weak one already, and the new one didn't come with enough candies to evolve so I can't help but feel disappointed lol. Oh well, there's always the next 10k.. whenever I get one.

Nictel

Personally, I feel like that's part of what makes Pokemon Go special. That Charizard at the other end of the park is there for everyone and you can team up to hunt down the same Pokemon. It wouldn't be as cool or special if everyone had their own instance, IMO.

True but there is little reason for all continents to be on the same instance.

domlolz

Banned

look at the graphs on this page

http://ispokemongodownornot.com/

thats what everyone else has to deal with

Two questions. Do you need to do anything with the egg or does it hatch just by owning it and walking? Have Niantic said anything about bulking it out a bit in rural areas?

Wiped89

Got online loads today, then killed my battery in the middle of trying to get Slowpoke, so I missed it :(

At home, ready to go for a walk, phone fully charged... servers are down.

Fuck.

venomenon

Aaaaand it's gone once more for me.

Could at least connect long enough to collect the coins from the first gym I took. It's nice when you slowly start to feel competitive (just hit lvl 16).

zroid

Banned
I got it long enough to catch a Shellder lol

Fortunately I already made my trip to the park earlier this morning when the servers were stable so I'm pretty much GO'd out for the day anyways

Well then my region is just bad because while I do have nest as far as I can tell they are all Hitmonlee nests and they are in golf courses, so I'm never getting anything from there. Otherwise there are no real consistent spawns other in city of 150k people and when I went to the next biggest city it largely had the same spawns and in all the nests were Hitmonlee nests in golf courses.

I should be going out because walking and taking in the nice weather is generally great, but instead, I'm enslaved to this infernal device that houses Pokémon Go. I refuse to leave until the servers are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom